Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

:kimchi: Do you have any handy pictures of the adults who were bred this year?

Can you still get four-horned lambs or is it much less likely with Isadore having two horns?

Almost all my ewes are 4 horned, which is dominant, so I should get a mix of 4 and 2 horned lambs.

Let me see if I can dig up a roll call here.

Eleanor

Flirt

Minerva aka Minnie Mouse as a tiny baby. Almost positive she isn't pregnant but whatever.

Eclair

Madeleine

Page who is almost certainly not pregnant but we'll pretend because it's a funny picture

Juniper

Aster

Johnnie

Daisy

Jewel

Clementine (see the family resemblance? it's an old picture though)

Another picture of Jewel and Clementine just because

Bramble

Thistle and her :/ face

And the boys

Appomattox aka Spud

Goliath

Isadore posing for his registration photo

And Bialy looking naked and beat up after shearing last year when he decided he could take Goliath out (he could not)

I think that's everyone who should be having babies this year. I'll do the goats of endless mystery later because there are new lambs in the barn that I need to take pictures of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Babby lamb face. :3: Bramble looks like she's being a good mom in this picture, hopefully next time she'll figure out the whole birthin' thing.

quote:

He is so handsome.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Hellacopter posted:

Babby lamb face. :3: Bramble looks like she's being a good mom in this picture, hopefully next time she'll figure out the whole birthin' thing.

Bramble is being a very good and devoted mom and I never blame first timers for needing help. It's a pretty tight fit in there!

Aster had twin lambs this morning. I think Aster likes to give birth like it's an episode of Survivor and the lambs are in an elimination challenge. Last year she deposited them directly into a water trough. This year the water buckets were too high so she had them next to a really drafty door right by a big wooden board. The ewe lamb had gotten a foot stuck under the board and was a little chilled when I found her. Warmed her up and tubed her some colostrum and she is just as perky as her brother now. I also moved them to a safer location and locked Aster in so she can't try anything else.

The ewe lamb is little and the ram lamb looks about 3 days old already. He's the one with the spot lamb on his side.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

This guy is going to be trouble. You're not supposed to be this bouncy at 12 hours old buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKVikXWuMw

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Instant Jellyfish posted:

This guy is going to be trouble. You're not supposed to be this bouncy at 12 hours old buddy!

ADORABAAAALE! :)

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Bramble is being a very good and devoted mom and I never blame first timers for needing help. It's a pretty tight fit in there!

Aster had twin lambs this morning. I think Aster likes to give birth like it's an episode of Survivor and the lambs are in an elimination challenge. Last year she deposited them directly into a water trough. This year the water buckets were too high so she had them next to a really drafty door right by a big wooden board. The ewe lamb had gotten a foot stuck under the board and was a little chilled when I found her. Warmed her up and tubed her some colostrum and she is just as perky as her brother now. I also moved them to a safer location and locked Aster in so she can't try anything else.

The ewe lamb is little and the ram lamb looks about 3 days old already. He's the one with the spot lamb on his side.

If you haven't named them yet, you should totally name the ram lamb 'Insheeption' or some equally silly pun like that.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The little tail wiggles always get me

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Busy, busy! I've gotten almost all of the pregnant sheep sheared now and since last night 3 ewes have lambed.

First up with Juniper who had a really big single ewe lamb. She was 5 days overdue so she basically looks a week old at this point.

Then was Eclair who also had a big single girl. She looks like a little cow :3:

And finally Jewel had twin ewe lambs.

The family resemblance continues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rparOZ8QJPU

It seems every time I go out in the barn there's a new baby or two. I have 3 more ewes that are due at any moment so we'll see what happens tonight.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love Juniper's line of spots and that little girl is so black! She's more spot than not-spot! Is she like that on both sides?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asiina posted:

I love Juniper's line of spots and that little girl is so black! She's more spot than not-spot! Is she like that on both sides?

Yep, she''s a cormo so she doesn't have the distinct patches like the jacobs. Technically they're all black sheep with white spots though :science:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm up to 11 lambs now I think? Since the last update there was a single romeldale ewe born and a single jacob ram born. Flirt the romeldale's milk hasn't come in because she was very sick a few weeks back and lost a ton of weight so I'm bottle feeding her girl but she stays with mommy and follows her around like a good little lamb.

Left to go are Johnnie, Maddie, and Daisy. If Daisy doesn't pop tonight I'm going to induce her tomorrow. She's at 151 days and I'm getting nervous, especially since she was bred by Bialy the cormo who tends to produce big lambs. Usually jacobs don't make it to 150 days, especially if they're carrying multiples which I'm hoping she is.

It was a sunny, if not particularly warm, day so I kicked everyone who was more than a day old outside to stretch their legs.

Big babby romeldales

Little babby romeldale

Cormo ewe who looks like a little cow :3:

So many spotty little jacob lambs

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
I love that little Cormo-Holstien cross :3:

Is it unusual that you're having so many singles instead of twins? Or are singles more typical with your sheep breeds?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

McSharpie posted:

I love that little Cormo-Holstien cross :3:

Is it unusual that you're having so many singles instead of twins? Or are singles more typical with your sheep breeds?

It's more singles than usual but it's because it was super dry in the fall and my pastures dried to a crisp and the sheep weren't in as good condition as they could have been. Also I've got some first timers in the bunch who tend to throw singles anyway. Multiple births is way more dependent on plane of nutrition than breed in general though.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

LOOK AT THOSE CUTE SHEEPLINGS! Thank you for sharing all the great photos! There was a lady here in Utah, her Nigerian Dwarf goat had 6, I say again, 6 female babies! Equals the Guinness Book of World Records. She had the young ones about 10 days ago. "they" did not want to announce it in case any of them didn't survive. WOW! I can't imagine where she put them all! As of what they reported in the newspaper on Friday, mom and babies are healthy and happy!

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I got nubians this weekend. Meet Santa Maria, Bismarck, and Nautilus

Bismarck is really outgoing and looks out for his siblings

He's always shoving Maria behind him when they see something scary

Nautilus is really cuddly and is always harassing me for scratches

AAAAAA DOGS

the goats learning about ramps with bonus livestock guardian puppy content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscRDPi7nF4

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

My little starter flock:

From left to right, Point, Lamba (who's screaming because she wants grain), Ramba (the other white) and Dingdong.

They're all locked up right now because Ramba and Dingdong just got here and I want to make sure they're zen and chill before I let them out as well as giving Lamba one more week to finish healing the tiny itty bitty scabs on her leg.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wow, Dingdong's really beautiful. What kind of sheep are those, again? I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere, but a quick scan in previous posts did not refresh my memory.

Instant Jellyfish -- congrats on so many beautiful babies!! I hope the rest of the lambs are born without trouble. You seem to be having much better luck and health this year, compared to last year. That's wonderful! Will there be another Shearing Day sometime soon?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lamba and Ramba are full Katahdin lambs. Dingdong and Point are part barbados. Everybody's hair sheeps :)

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Dingdong is really handsome :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

Instant Jellyfish -- congrats on so many beautiful babies!! I hope the rest of the lambs are born without trouble. You seem to be having much better luck and health this year, compared to last year. That's wonderful! Will there be another Shearing Day sometime soon?

It's amazing what a change in the gene pool can do! Isadore has done exactly what I wanted him to do and I'm very happy with him and this year's lambs.

I called the vet to ask for a vial of lutalyse to induce labor on Daisy so of course she immediately splorted out her lambs. Well, not exactly. She needed a bit of a hand because they were super big but only a light pull. The ram is a fake jacob but the ewe shows what they really are. Jacobs, being black sheep with white spots, almost always have black lambs because most other sheep breeds don't carry the spotting gene. The boy was 8 lbs 1 oz and the girl was 7 lbs 9 oz.

Shearing Day is April 23rd from 11-4. Open to the public and we have free food and music and baby animals. I'm about an hour from Erie, PA, a little over an hour from Cleveland,OH and two hours from Pittsburgh if anyone reading wants to come say hi to animals and watch me do some shearing. Just message me for the address/more info or you can look up the farm on facebook.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went in the spring a couple of years ago and had a great time. The drive from Pittsburgh was really pleasant, too. I can't make it this spring, but I hope it's a successful day for you!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Lamba and Ramba are full Katahdin lambs. Dingdong and Point are part barbados. Everybody's hair sheeps :)

They're all pretty cute. :3

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I wish I lived over there, I want to come see tiny ships :3:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Ran across this video, which is especially great when the kid does a 360 hop off its sibling.
https://www.facebook.com/TheVomitorium/videos/593739237384437/?pnref=story

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
OMG all the cute lambs! I may explode from joy. OMG.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Two more spotty babies. A ram and a ewe from Johnnie. I'm really glad Johnnie has two lambs this year. She's a really good and dedicated mom and losing lambs due to Windsor's lovely genes was hard on her :(

It was my friend's birthday and she's been dying to see baby lambs in coats and it was kind of chilly so I stuffed them in tiny lamb coats.

I'm down to Maddie who could be due anytime and Thistle who isn't due until the 10th. The end is in sight!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Two more spotty babies. A ram and a ewe from Johnnie. I'm really glad Johnnie has two lambs this year. She's a really good and dedicated mom and losing lambs due to Windsor's lovely genes was hard on her :(

It was my friend's birthday and she's been dying to see baby lambs in coats and it was kind of chilly so I stuffed them in tiny lamb coats.

I'm down to Maddie who could be due anytime and Thistle who isn't due until the 10th. The end is in sight!

SO ADORABLE! SQUEEEEEE (is that the appropriate word?) awww congratulations on your little ones. The little coat is just fantastic! LOL Thank you for sharing IJ! Happy Easter to all, whether a believer or not, better yet, I'll say Happy.. err.... Hoppy Spring!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Just a shout-out to say I'm always very fond of this thread and have been lurking since last year, it's always a pleasure and a great way to hit off spring. Thanks for putting it up, Instant Jellyfish :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm glad people are still enjoying it :kimchi: If you all can't experience a small lamb falling asleep on your lap than you should at least get pictures.

My grandma came out this weekend and I took the opportunity to take a bunch of lamb pictures.

Do not believe his lies little sheep, he is not your friend.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Has freckledog ever tried to attack the little sheep? I remember you saying you kept him separated from them for a while until they are bigger and presumably less delicious looking.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asiina posted:

Has freckledog ever tried to attack the little sheep? I remember you saying you kept him separated from them for a while until they are bigger and presumably less delicious looking.

He hasn't but I also manage him very closely around the lambs. He is a dog who loves murder more than anything and while he understands the rules about what he is and is not allowed to murder I don't trust him in the heat of the moment. Once they are less of a mouthful we'll move to on-leash time around the lambs and eventually he can be off leash near big lambs but there are plenty of lamb free places for him to run amok so I don't risk tiny babbies getting chomped.

If you have things that need to be murdered or if you have problems with birds who think they can fly over your property un-barked at, Major is your dog.

Maddie had a big, white cormo girl last night. Now I get to take a break (and by take a break I mean shear all my sheep) until Thistle is due around the 10th.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
She looks so confused. "Why am I here? Why am I wearing a sweater?"

Lovely pictures of the lambs outside.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Yes I will take this one thank you :kimchi:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pet/5518267933.html

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

You can't just link to Craigslist postings because they can and will be taken down. Quote their contents in the thread.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Didn't screencap it but someone apparently found a goat kid (??) in Akron (???) but then decided they couldn't keep it. I'm not sure where small goats are just running around in Akron where someone wouldn't claim it. Seemed like a happy little goat though!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Didn't screencap it but someone apparently found a goat kid (??) in Akron (???) but then decided they couldn't keep it. I'm not sure where small goats are just running around in Akron where someone wouldn't claim it. Seemed like a happy little goat though!

When I lived a bit north of Akron a lot of people seemed to keep pygmy goats as pets so I don't think it's too crazy (especially in the outskirts of the city). I've also seen large flocks of Goats wandering around in the national park, probably as lanwcare but who knows.

Your sheep are cool though, keep it up!

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I love watching these idiots play

They aren't afraid of the dog anymore and actually started screaming bloody murder when I pulled him out of the pen for his vet appointment

doesn't mean they take any poo poo from him though

I'm picking up another doeling next weekend. I'm excited, she's so pretty

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Ausrotten posted:

They aren't afraid of the dog anymore and actually started screaming bloody murder when I pulled him out of the pen for his vet appointment

doesn't mean they take any poo poo from him though

I'm picking up another doeling next weekend. I'm excited, she's so pretty

The second last picture made your dog look WAY bigger than he is, so the last picture was actually sort of jarring in comparison. I totally thought he was a full grown Great Pyreness in that first one, haha. :)

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
Haha no he's only nine weeks old. I'd be a little concerned if an adult dog had those proportions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Ausrotten posted:

Haha no he's only nine weeks old. I'd be a little concerned if an adult dog had those proportions

Yeah, it just looked like a weird sort of semi-top-down, forced perspective optical illusion in the second last picture which is why I was so surprised, haha. That and, depending on the individual dog/season, if you don't groom pyrs pretty consistently their belly hair can make their legs look deceptively short. I have a decrepit old Pyr who looks like a shaggy polar bear, but if we shaved her she'd look like a short-necked, mutant giraffe with her hilarious spindly old lady legs.

• Locked thread