Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Is he gonna keep the names? :3:

(good job reuniting the sheeps with their owner!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Avshalom posted:

it's summer here! which made me think they'd wandered further than they actually had because they were so exhausted when they arrived, but actually they were from just over the hill. they'd only been recently purchased so their ear tags had been removed at their old place and their new owner hadn't got around to putting new ones on yet - apparently they're escape artists, they've got away a few times now, so i'm sure it'll be a priority for him to get some identification on them. he has a few hundred sheep so he didn't even notice they were missing until someone tagged him in one of my facebook posts. it's a bit sad but in the end i don't deal in stolen goods even when the goods steal themselves and it was very fun having bouncy little lambs on my property :3:

Well that's good then. Hopefully he was very grateful for you taking care of them, especially since there was a birth involved!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lambing season has started! I had a crazy stress dream last night about one of the jacobs having quads that were all hamster sized. I was frantically trying to measure out formula and heat it to bottle feed them but I kept messing up. Luckily when I woke up and went to the barn there were only two lambs and both had full bellies so I don't actually need to do any of that.

These are Flirt the romeldale's lambs, sired by Goliath. I need to find my scale but they're pretty chunky lambs. Flirt was so enormous I would have put money on her having triplets. The white is a ewe and the spotty one is a ram.

Floofy baby muttonchops :3:

He's going to be a friendly, curious baby for sure.

He's got go-go boots on just like his daddy.

Now I've got a week or so until the tidal wave of jacob lambs starts. I hope you're all prepared.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so ready! Congrats on the good start, Flirt!! :neckbeard:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Floofy baby muttonchops :3:

I love the expression :allears:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Look at those little nuggets :3: I'm always surprised this thread doesn't get much traffic, but I kind of assume most people lurk.

I'm super excited because I'm staying at an Airbnb at a farm next month. They have Scottish Highland Cattle (the fluffiest) and are reputed to be a really amazing, conscientious place that produces great product. Also you can ride the cattle. Like they keep a few aside and have like...saddles and poo poo for them. And if a baby is born on the farm while you're there (late April, so a good chance) then YOU GET TO NAME THE BABY. My god, I have no idea what I would do with that responsibility. My gf loves the raccoon thread in PYF and at some point a few posters got together to come up with potential 'coon names, and one was "Lil Johnny Skip-a-Bath" and she's obsessed with it. Instant Jellyfish, what do you think? LIL JOHNNY SKIP-A-BATH?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I don't post much but seeing new posts in this thread totally makes my day.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Asiina posted:

I don't post much but seeing new posts in this thread totally makes my day.
Same here.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've been getting more and more excited knowing it's spring in the northern hemisphere purely because of this thread :3: congratulations on your new babies, they're all adorable and so sturdy! bring on the jacob wave

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

:siren:*bummer alert*:siren:

The little ram seems to have been born without an anus (an explanation here). He was acting sort of uncomfortable so I went to give him an enema and there just wasn't anything there. I called the vet's emergency line and he let me know there wasn't anything to be done so I have to bring him in to be euthanized in the morning. The vet had never seen a case in a lamb before, it's just a freak genetic accident. That doesn't make me feel any better at the moment but farming means making the hard choices sometimes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

:siren:*bummer alert*:siren:

The little ram seems to have been born without an anus (an explanation here). He was acting sort of uncomfortable so I went to give him an enema and there just wasn't anything there. I called the vet's emergency line and he let me know there wasn't anything to be done so I have to bring him in to be euthanized in the morning. The vet had never seen a case in a lamb before, it's just a freak genetic accident. That doesn't make me feel any better at the moment but farming means making the hard choices sometimes.

Could be worse. I know a person with that. He's opted to stay celibate his entire life to avoid the chance of passing it on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that sucks but there isn't a lot to do here. Hopefully it was just a one off mutation and none of the other lambs Goliath sired get it.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
oh no :( that really sucks, i hope it's the last serious birth defect you have to deal with in this year's crop. good on you for catching it quickly so he doesn't have to suffer at all.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah that sucks but there isn't a lot to do here. Hopefully it was just a one off mutation and none of the other lambs Goliath sired get it.

These are his only lambs for the year, the rest are sired by Spud. None of his or Flirt's previous lambs have had issues. Nature's just a bitch sometimes :smith:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Can you at least, like, eat him? Or does chemical euthanasia mean he's uneatable?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Aaw, he was a cute little dude. Sorry to hear about him. Hopefully everyone else is born healthy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Radio! posted:

Can you at least, like, eat him? Or does chemical euthanasia mean he's uneatable?

Lacking an anus probably does some nasty things to the meat as well with bacterial infections from poop buildup.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
:( Sorry to hear about the little guy. Hopefully the rest of the lambing goes well for you.

How is Flirt going to react to you just taking one of her lambs and never bringing it back? Will she hate you for a while?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Thanks for the support you guys, it was a super lovely decision but the right one. A lady was at the vet's office having her dog put to sleep so we hugged and cried and lamented how much things suck sometimes. The vet said the defect is super rare and I probably won't ever see it again. Fingers crossed!

Radio! posted:

I mean the pink juice is super toxic because it's literally meant to kill things so that's no good, and maybe there are farmers out there who can shoot a newborn lamb but I am not one of them. Also he was like 8 lbs and super cute and there's no way I would go through the emotion wringer to eat him/feed him to my dog. I'm willing to take a loss on that one.

McSharpie posted:

:( Sorry to hear about the little guy. Hopefully the rest of the lambing goes well for you.

How is Flirt going to react to you just taking one of her lambs and never bringing it back? Will she hate you for a while?

Flirt is doing ok and none of my ewes have gotten mad at me when I've had to take lambs away. She's confused and called for him some but her other lamb is keeping her busy. The romeldales are simple sheep and I think she'll move on quickly. Listening to mamas calling for dead babies is almost worse than having babies die to begin with. The main thing I'm concerned with is that she has a huge massive udder big enough to feed triplets and it's only going to one lamb now. I'm going to have to back off on her feed a bit and make sure she doesn't develop mastitis.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can you milk her manually? Or find out if any other farms have lambs that need fostering?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm checking this thread like ten times a day awaiting the jacob tsunami :f5:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Avshalom posted:

i'm checking this thread like ten times a day awaiting the jacob tsunami :f5:

You and me both! Except instead of "this thread" it's sheep butts. Johnnie has milk in so I'm guessing she'll go first. I doubt it will be by last call tonight but I wouldn't be shocked if there were lambs tomorrow. She's spending the night in the maternity ward either way.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We've got a bunch of "before breakfast" lambers this year which means 5 am barn checks in my pajamas.

But it also means we have a bunch of spotty babies today! I had my money on Johnnie since she's been bagged up since Tuesday but Aster pulled ahead to lamb first by about 2 hours. Aster had twin ewe lambs, Johnnie had twin ram lambs.

Sorry for the phone pics, I'll take my camera out in a bit.

Girlies

The smaller, darker girl has one silly floppy ear.

The boys are tall and dark and only had one thing on their minds.

Just legs and spots and blur. When I checked on Johnnie she only had one lamb and I was super confused because she was definitely big enough for twins. I checked inside for another lamb that might have been stuck when I saw this dude pop his head out from the pen next door. He had just gone wandering and hadn't quite figured out how to get back.

Also the romeldale lamb was sleeping like a goof :3:

I had 5 ewes bred on the same day so there are more spots coming. They'll probably wait until after dinner but I have them in a pasture I can see from the house just in case.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Babies! :neckbeard:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
omg perfect babies!!!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I took out my real camera so you get even more lamb pictures. So many lamb pictures.

One of the boys, this one has a big O on both sides of him.

The other boy, who keeps wandering off in search of adventure.

I really like this girl, she's so cute! Her sister was crashed out in a pile of hay and I didn't want to risk waking her up for pictures.

I couldn't leave out the big chubby girl. She is wild and crazy and tears around the pasture with all the adults like it's no big deal.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Awww those are some cute babies :3:

I like how the last spotty girl has a half black/half pink nose.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love her tiny knee spots.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that little white girl with black spots over each eye is the most perfect thing i've ever seen. the other lambs are also the most perfect thing i've ever seen

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Are these markings more or less set or do they change as they mature?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Eifert Posting posted:

Are these markings more or less set or do they change as they mature?

What you see is what they've got. They'll get freckled sometimes as they get older but their main spots stay the same throughout their lives. When you register them you have to send in pictures for inspection and it can be really handy if an unknown sheep pops up to be able to compare the spots and figure out who it is. The head of the inspection committee has an amazing memory for sheep she's seen.

Clementine had a ram and a ewe lamb this morning and is happily screaming at them in the barn. When I have a minute I'll take my camera out and get you guys some pictures.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Knee spots seem to be common - is the pigmentation affected by temperature the way it is with cats and rabbits?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Angrymog posted:

Knee spots seem to be common - is the pigmentation affected by temperature the way it is with cats and rabbits?

Nope, it's just a common spot location. I really like the kneepads so I might have more of them in my flock than other people. I guess the UK jacob sheep standard says they should have all white legs so you don't generally get the knee spots over there.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm procrastinating on a giant paper about agrobiodiversity and also cleaning my house so have pictures of today's babies.

Ewe lamb

Ram lamb

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
im cry

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm procrastinating on a giant paper about agrobiodiversity and also cleaning my house so have pictures of today's babies.

Ram lamb

What a handsome little boy!

Of course I didn't forget the other cutie! :3:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't handle this

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh my goodness, how incredible! :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lamba is the size of three small houses and keeps chewing on her right side and singing to it, so I'm HOPING that she's pregnant. Hoping for DingDong too.

If I don't have lambs by fall, I'm sharpening an axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
how good is the motherly ewe noise. wockle wockle wockle

• Locked thread