Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nate Silver vs. Karl Rove in a game of chess

Who wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Nate Silver's logic arguing against Trump, especially months after he remained the clear frontrunner and had huge leads in credible polls, was pretty specious and reflects badly on Nate's overall political judgment.

There's no walking back from this except sheepishly (and dishonestly)saying "well, most idiot pundits got it wrong, so maybe it was just a huge outlier?"

The whole "Trump only has 25% support of 25% of the electorate, dumbass Sheeple :smuggo:" poo poo was embarassing to read even at the time

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nate Silver assumes the game is actually battleship, while Karl Rove disputes the outcome of the 2012 general election again. Neither win.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
His models were like a case study in what overfitting does.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I like their weekly "slack chats" that inevitably end in "we don't have any basis for our speculation, so we'll just have to wait for the results"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TYT is about the same as 538 (minus Cenk's Armenian genocide denial lol).

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I still check 538 because it used to be good:(

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Nonsense posted:

TYT is about the same as 538 (minus Cenk's Armenian genocide denial lol).

TYT mostly just looks at the numbers and shames the pundits for not using the numbers

they were right about trump

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
they gave trump a better chance to win iowa than NH lmbo they had no clue what they were doing this year on the r side.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Zohar posted:

Yeah no that's a handwave. If invisible primaries theory's description of how elections happen (or at least the form in which it's passed into received wisdom) were true, then Trump wouldn't be where he is. The fact that he is means that the theory's description of reality is not sound.

No, like I said, a single exception doesn't disprove a rule in social science. Elections aren't based on immutable physical laws.

Now, if Trump opens the door for other ultra-demagogues to hijack party nominations, then you could make the case invisible primary theory is busted. But I don't personally think that'll happen because Trump is such a singular phenomenon.

Concerned Citizen posted:

"just fine" other than the fact that bernie sanders has come very close for a candidate who has essentially no backing by the party.

"party decides" is garbage. its existence owes more to the fact that there are very few elections to sample from. endorsements only correlate with the winner because, not surprisingly, people endorse expected winners. but that's not predictive because endorsements don't actually win votes unless you happen to be an unpledged delegate. look at the vote in NH. hillary won *every* major endorsement in NH and she lost by 20+ points.

"Coming very close" isn't the same thing as winning, and if you believe betting markets Bernie has never even been without striking distance. I personally thought he was before Biden dropped out but that's not the consensus.

G-Hawk posted:

Nate Silver originally focused on averaging polls and factoring in some fundamentals in a way that was fairly advanced as far as election analysis goes at the time, and that was good and innovative if not spectacularly difficult. These days 538 just churns out poo poo tons of content some of which is good but others are really speciously reasoned and basically the same kind of leap to conclusion punditry he originally cut through.

I do agree 538 has too much punditry now, but as punditry goes it's pretty good.

Laphroaig posted:

Also he's just tweeting incomprehensible gibberish now:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/702683681132040192

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

what completely meaningless statements

He explained what he meant in an article. The "high floor" is because Trump's supporters are so loyal and he hasn't taken the less-loyal ones from Carson or Cruz yet. The second tweet is about how many voters supporting non-Trumps are vehemently opposed to him. It's basically just about how he's a really polarizing figure even among the GOP.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Correlation is not causation.

I didn't say it was.

MaxxBot posted:

It's not just Trump, the Republican base hates the GOP establishment right now, people like Jeb! who had no grassroots support and were propped up by elites didn't stand a chance this cycle.

That's definitely another factor.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also it's not doing 'just fine' with dem primary, silver has been wrong at multiple junctions so far and keeps moving his goalposts.

Silver said like 8 months ago "Bernie has a good chance to win New Hampshire, and some chance to win Iowa, but is very unlikely to win SC, and probably won't get the nomination." That still sounds reasonable to me.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
With all that said, I don't think 538 is perfect, just better than average punditry. I also really want Trump to win and at this point consider it likely.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Dudue there's no defending them this year, trust me their models were trash. The problem is that they claim to not be doing punditry but in reality that's pretty much what they are doing while trying to justify it with some flashy irrelevant math.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
It's actually incredibly common in social science, molding the data to fit your gut thinking rather than the other way around. That's why it took them so long to change while the numbers indicated what was happening pretty early on.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It's better than average punditry in the sense that most of the pundit class are insulated dipshits whose idea of analysis is repeating cocktail party conventional wisdom as Immutable Mosaic Law, and whose conception of America ends at either the Hudson or the Potomac, depending on which city they live in

He's been blindingly stupid this year, and yeah he seems to believe that somehow the metrics are being failed rather than that the metrics are failing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Jewel Repetition posted:

Silver said like 8 months ago "Bernie has a good chance to win New Hampshire, and some chance to win Iowa, but is very unlikely to win SC, and probably won't get the nomination." That still sounds reasonable to me.

nate silver said earlier this year that he could win IA and NH and lose every other state, and he's on track to win several states on Tuesday while losing IA. his model was bad, and frankly the #1 thing hurting bernie this year is the primary calendar, not necessarily his level of support (which is very much within spitting distance of hillary). if we flipped the calendar around so hillary's states were backloaded instead of front loaded, things would be pretty different right now. and here's the thing: looking at endorsements (which nate silver's model said should be a huge predictor), hillary should have be winning a landslide. like, not even close. seemingly every sitting congressperson, governor, senator, etc have endorsed her. she has a huge, huge lead in that department, perhaps the largest ever for a non-incumbent. if "party decides" was a good indicator, it shouldn't be this close. she shouldn't have lost NH, much less by 20+ points.

the main method of figuring out nate silver's effectiveness is to ask if they've predicted the race better than a naive, unweighted averaging of polls. the answer is: not even close.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Feb 25, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Actually they just released their method for early predictions:

candidate_pred_ <- runif(1,0,100)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Might be a good idea to wait until Trump actually gets the nom before having this discussion.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Toilet Mouth posted:

Might be a good idea to wait until Trump actually gets the nom before having this discussion.

even if somehow magically rubio managed to pull out from the current tailspin he's in nate silver will still have been wrong

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

It's called an outlier. You're gonna have them in social sciences. And let's remember that the theory's doing just fine with the Dem primary.

It would not be an outlier. As has been mentioned, the sample is really too small to make that kind of a conclusion. As any loyal 538 reader should remember, the theory that the party decides has already stumbled a few times, in particular endorsements in the 2008 Democratic primary pointed to Hillary up until the end of the race. A Trump win would seriously challenge the underlying assumptions.

This however is why I read 538. While not always right, for example when 538's primary model falsely predicted a Trump win in the Iowa Caucus, Nate Silver tries to understand the underlying processes that govern events. I mean it should be obvious to every drooling retard who's ever eyed the realclearpolitics graph of polling averages that early polls don't predict primary winners. Romney lead every New Hampshire primary poll for six months in 2008 before losing to McCain. Yet there were morons in this very forum calling Iowa for Carson in December. Basically I'm left scratching my head at why some people who so obviously haven't even read the arguments are eager to offer their own criticisms.

the jelly nun
Feb 25, 2016

by Shine

(and can't post for 3 years!)

It's hilarious to me that people can't see Nate Silver and his website have become paid shills for the highest bidder. Wow, what a coincidence that this guy stayed away from punditry and predicted everything correctly 2 elections in a row, then right after his website becomes some ESPN Disney thing he suddenly turns into a dick Morris level moron barely less embarrassing than Jeb Bush, who posts article after article sucking GOPe and Clinton dick.

"b-b-b-b-b but, the jelly nun! lol, conspiracy theories! I bet you believe in chemtrails!"

Right, totally unbelievable. Wait, we saw transcripts released of HRC giving orders to the NYT and others? For fucks sake, we have indisputable proof that THE loving ONION of all things was sodomized by some shithead Clinton backing Zionist and forced to publish propaganda.

It's time that we saw the 'serious people in the room' 'oh, dont be silly' 'skeptics' for what they really are, pussy, willfully ignorant wet blankets.

The media in this country is beyond hosed.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Concerned Citizen posted:

even if somehow magically rubio managed to pull out from the current tailspin he's in nate silver will still have been wrong

Exactly. Nine months of wrong predictions won't be validated just because Trump finally utters the magic phrasing of "mungo gently caress" that makes everyone turn on him

Its not like Nate has been modeling the statistical likelihood that The Donald will have a sudden aneurysm and suspend his campaign to recover

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

the jelly nun posted:

It's hilarious to me that people can't see Nate Silver and his website have become paid shills for the highest bidder. Wow, what a coincidence that this guy stayed away from punditry and predicted everything correctly 2 elections in a row, then right after his website becomes some ESPN Disney thing he suddenly turns into a dick Morris level moron barely less embarrassing than Jeb Bush, who posts article after article sucking GOPe and Clinton dick.

"b-b-b-b-b but, the jelly nun! lol, conspiracy theories! I bet you believe in chemtrails!"

Right, totally unbelievable. Wait, we saw transcripts released of HRC giving orders to the NYT and others? For fucks sake, we have indisputable proof that THE loving ONION of all things was sodomized by some shithead Clinton backing Zionist and forced to publish propaganda.

It's time that we saw the 'serious people in the room' 'oh, dont be silly' 'skeptics' for what they really are, pussy, willfully ignorant wet blankets.

lol

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
the jelly nun straight torching people watch out

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

the jelly nun posted:

This post is best read in Dennis Hopper's voice.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

EugeneJ posted:

Who wins?

They have sex and put all the chess pieces inside each other because they're both gay.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Are there any alternative evidence/statistics driven predictors out there that did a sincerely better job than the 538/Nate crew or is he really the only one mucking through this right now?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Sam Wang and the Princeton Election Consortium

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/alabama-republican/

Rubio more than doubles his chances in the polls PLUS model because ~endorsements~

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Nate's been trash since Unskewed Polls correctly and rightfully kicked his rear end in the last election and he's been butthurt ever since I await the glorious return of Dean Chambers to make his return and tell God's Honest Truth about this election while Silver cries into his Excel sheets splayed over a lifesized model of Bill James' crotch.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

the jelly nun posted:

:yikes:

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark combover. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Donald Trump.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Nate Silver is a fax machine in a world of smartphones.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/702979782615687169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Never trust a statistician, or a guy with a BA in econ pretending to be one, when it's quite clear they are looking to produce a certain result, because if you look long enough you'll always find it.

The whole string of tweets is really sad because he seems really desperate to have been right.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Berk Berkly posted:

Are there any alternative evidence/statistics driven predictors out there that did a sincerely better job than the 538/Nate crew or is he really the only one mucking through this right now?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

When your model has consistently been more wrong than the simple unmodified data, you might have a problem.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Compared to previous elections what's the quality and quantity of polling been like?

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
Heard they renamed him Nate Ingots.

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
After he melted down :grin::fag:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ScrubLeague posted:

Also there just haven't been any "big" endorsements yet.

???

Two different former Presidents of the United States endorsed Jeb Bush. I don't see how you can get a more heavyweight endorsement than that. He lost anyway.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
His dad and brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

EugeneJ posted:

Who wins?

Silver wins; he's actually a smart guy, just someone who was seriously wrong on Trump, and has been backpedaling clumsily since then instead of just owning it.

• Locked thread