Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

EugeneJ posted:

Nate Silver vs. Karl Rove in a game of chess

Who wins?

Silver wins; he's actually a smart guy, just someone who was seriously wrong on Trump, and has been backpedaling clumsily since then instead of just owning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Just came across this in The Atlantic:

quote:

Polls in individual states tell a similar story. In a recent piece on FiveThirtyEight, Nate Silver noted that “about half” of Republican primary voters in New Hampshire said that “they’d be unhappy with [Trump] as their nominee.” That’s true: 46 percent of New Hampshire Republican voters told exit pollsters they would be “dissatisfied” if Trump won the nomination. What Silver didn’t mention is that the percentage that said they’d be dissatisfied if Rubio or Cruz won was even higher.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/the-ceiling-buster/470919/

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Ugh where the gently caress do I go now to get my 538 fix now

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Re-posting my criticism of Nate Silver from another discussion:

"As someone who uses statistics on a daily basis in scientific research, reading Silver's forecasting book was a bit sad. He has a good grasp on a limited subset of statistics, but then tries to apply it everywhere, without considering how appropriate it is. Towards the end he totally goes off the deep end with claims of being able to predict terrorist attacks. In short, Nate is not the forecasting god he makes himself out to be, and falls into the trap of weighing his own past successes too heavily, something he warns against in his own book, but doesn't apply to himself."

Silver bought into his own hype and stopped following his own principles of prediction a while ago with this race.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
unskew my neg rear end.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is this where all the berniebros feverishly unskew Nate Silver in a totally-not-pathetic way to explain why their 1000 year old candidate isn't poo poo?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Move over Nate Silver there's a new kid on the block, Trump Will Become President, Says Extremely Accurate Statistician

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax

Goatman Sacks posted:

Is this where all the berniebros feverishly unskew Nate Silver in a totally-not-pathetic way to explain why their 1000 year old candidate isn't poo poo?

We're talking about trump here you ..... Maroon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Squalid posted:

It would not be an outlier. As has been mentioned, the sample is really too small to make that kind of a conclusion. As any loyal 538 reader should remember, the theory that the party decides has already stumbled a few times, in particular endorsements in the 2008 Democratic primary pointed to Hillary up until the end of the race. A Trump win would seriously challenge the underlying assumptions.

Yeah, Trump's not so much an outlier as an out-of-sample event. I won't claim that he's singular, but he doesn't play politics by the same rules as everyone else, which means that models built on the notion that standard "political causation" will hold shouldn't be used. In those cases, I'd want a model that makes the fewest assumptions about the underlying politics, which may just be an averaged set of polls rated by quality. After all, that popularity leads to election wins is a relatively uncontroversial assumption. It's not surprising that Nate's 'polls-plus' model seems to be completely imploding.

He seems to be coming around to that view too:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/703321897283493888

CottonWolf has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Feb 26, 2016

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Mr.48 posted:

Re-posting my criticism of Nate Silver from another discussion:

"As someone who uses statistics on a daily basis in scientific research, reading Silver's forecasting book was a bit sad. He has a good grasp on a limited subset of statistics, but then tries to apply it everywhere, without considering how appropriate it is. Towards the end he totally goes off the deep end with claims of being able to predict terrorist attacks. In short, Nate is not the forecasting god he makes himself out to be, and falls into the trap of weighing his own past successes too heavily, something he warns against in his own book, but doesn't apply to himself."

Silver bought into his own hype and stopped following his own principles of prediction a while ago with this race.

Seconding this. i just started something very much inspired by 538 (shameless plug: http://www.nanaya.co) - between that and science/academia it's easy to fall into the trap of drinking your own cool aid as you realize early modeling works. it only takes a few new cases to unmistakably break a theory.

Unfortunately for presidential elections, it's not like there's that many samples to learn from. Of course you can reapply the theory to historic data which I've never seen them do. Also, is it just me or has their modeling methodology become a lot more opaque or just dumbed down to the point where it is: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-we-are-forecasting-the-2016-presidential-primary-election/ In a multifactor model independent weighting makes a huge difference - they don't really describe that...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dear Nate please fire the failed comedian who tries too hard in the significant digits articles and bring back Mona thx

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
Did everyone see my ingots joke?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

The Revenant posted:

Did everyone see my ingots joke?

It was kinda clever, OP

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dear Nate I've hated your new site ever since the head shots with the weird colors came out. Makes you look super pretentious. K byyyye

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I think the fundamental problem has been an under-recognition of the importance of mechanisms - the "how" instead of the "what". And so when those mechanisms broke down or were circumvented by the Donald, that was somewhat ignored. Folks just stuck with saying "The Party Decides" to assume that Trump would get stumped, without really using that as a framework to look into how the GOP might go about the stumping or whether they remained on track, etc.

G-Hawk posted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

in which Nate laid out 6 arbitrary "stages" trump can't get past, the last of which barely counts, and then declared Trump has a 2% chance to be the nominee because he had a 50% chance to clear each of those stages. Data. Science.

This article is when 538 jumped the shark and became as bad if not worse than the punditry they originally mocked.

See, I completely disagree - this article is great not because it's accurate, but because it fully lays out the thinking. I can read the article, see exactly where Silver's coming from, and then adjust that logic to my own beliefs to come to my own conclusions.

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax

Zoran posted:

It was kinda clever, OP

tahnk u

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i hope "the party decides" really does die after this election because its a pretty lovely and reductionist way to look at primaries

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Jackson Taus posted:

See, I completely disagree - this article is great not because it's accurate, but because it fully lays out the thinking. I can read the article, see exactly where Silver's coming from, and then adjust that logic to my own beliefs to come to my own conclusions.

maybe it would be more palatable to most people if it was just a clear op-ed instead of assuming every event has a 50% chance of occurring and pretending to have an article based in Stats and Real Metrics and Objective Analysis

that being said, no idea how he could unskew make an accurate model for a Trump election without pulling weird corrections out of his rear end. kind of the nature of his campaign. Trump'd yet again!

smokyprogg has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Feb 27, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

babypolis posted:

i hope "the party decides" really does die after this election because its a pretty lovely and reductionist way to look at primaries

Agreed.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Continuing to use polls-plus months after dozens of endorsements for Jeb! failed to move his polling numbers at all was a pretty bad look.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Silver was very good when he was cutting through the crap and going straight to the data. Problem is, that gets boring and anyone else can do it too, so he's tried to do something better. The issue is, that something better is the same sort of entrail reading everyone else was doing when he did his idea of lets just look at the actual polling data thing. 538's model is garbage this year and he should abandon it rather than trying to justify its failures. Plus the analysis the site produces these days is clickbait garbage.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the jelly nun posted:

It's hilarious to me that people can't see Nate Silver and his website have become paid shills for the highest bidder. Wow, what a coincidence that this guy stayed away from punditry and predicted everything correctly 2 elections in a row, then right after his website becomes some ESPN Disney thing he suddenly turns into a dick Morris level moron barely less embarrassing than Jeb Bush, who posts article after article sucking GOPe and Clinton dick.

"b-b-b-b-b but, the jelly nun! lol, conspiracy theories! I bet you believe in chemtrails!"

Right, totally unbelievable. Wait, we saw transcripts released of HRC giving orders to the NYT and others? For fucks sake, we have indisputable proof that THE loving ONION of all things was sodomized by some shithead Clinton backing Zionist and forced to publish propaganda.

It's time that we saw the 'serious people in the room' 'oh, dont be silly' 'skeptics' for what they really are, pussy, willfully ignorant wet blankets.

The media in this country is beyond hosed.

Toilet Mouth posted:

This post is best read in Dennis Hopper's voice.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pop quiz, Hillary, should women alleging that they were raped by a powerful man be shamed into silence?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

Continuing to use polls-plus months after dozens of endorsements for Jeb! failed to move his polling numbers at all was a pretty bad look.

or how rubio had every single important endorsement in south carolina and still got destroyed by trump

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

babypolis posted:

i hope "the party decides" really does die after this election because its a pretty lovely and reductionist usually depressingly accurate way to look at primaries

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Concerned Citizen posted:

The journey of Nate Silver, Data Journalist and Trump Skeptic, in one twitter feed:
Pretty much this. Nate Silver embarrassed himself. At the end of the day immediate numbers can't tell you everything. This election was like none other and it isn't fair to compare it to previous ones. Anyone who even somewhat paid attention to the primaries would be able to tell that Trump was a force to be reckon with.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

reignofevil posted:

Look at this guy freaking out over an outlier.

it's not my theory having the problems duder

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
my favourite political science factoid is that the rate of false positives you'd expect in an entirely random world corresponds roughly to the acceptance rate of academic papers in poli sci journals

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

His dad and brother?

If the fact that they were related to them reduces the impact of the effect, that's actually really really strong evidence Nate has the causation chain backwards.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

If the fact that they were related to them reduces the impact of the effect, that's actually really really strong evidence Nate has the causation chain backwards.

IIRC, 538 only factors in the endorsements of currently serving elected officials.

also :lol: at the new thread title.

Nate Silver is a very low-energy statistician.

Nate is a mess.
Nate is a waste.
Nate is a big, fat mistake.

He's a lightweight, and an even lighter-weight when you apply the polls-plus model.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As wrong as he's been about Trump, it looks as if he was mostly right about Sanders.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much this. Nate Silver embarrassed himself. At the end of the day immediate numbers can't tell you everything. This election was like none other and it isn't fair to compare it to previous ones. Anyone who even somewhat paid attention to the primaries would be able to tell that Trump was a force to be reckon with.
The irony is that if Nate had just looked at numbers, he would have been less bearish on Trump. Instead he spent 6 months finding any way possible to discount polls, the numbers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zohar posted:

my favourite political science factoid is that the rate of false positives you'd expect in an entirely random world corresponds roughly to the acceptance rate of academic papers in poli sci journals

Lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

As wrong as he's been about Trump, it looks as if he was mostly right about Sanders.

50/50 between two candidates? What are the odd?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

G-Hawk posted:

The irony is that if Nate had just looked at numbers, he would have been less bearish on Trump. Instead he spent 6 months finding any way possible to discount polls, the numbers.

This is also true. While the numbers weren't spot on, they did show some holes in his "conclusion". The most notable was how it was pretty clear that Trump was the candidate who held his popularity, even if he wasn't number 1 all the time, rather than being your the flavor of the month candidate like say Carson or Cruz.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Frosted Flake posted:

Not really. He was right in the sense that, of the two candidates, he correctly predicted that the frontrunner would win the nomination. Which isn't exactly a challenging pick. But he pointlessly dismissed the surge in support that happened in January. There was a brief period in time where it looked like Bernie might have a very solid shot at winning the nomination.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Nate Silver and other data journalists were basically running on the theory that candidates would boom-and-bust like Herman Cain and other candidates in the 2012 race. They just sort of applied 2012 as a universal model for no particular reason, and ignored the reasons why 2012 happened the way it did in the first place (because the right disliked Romney). When the bust never happened, I guess they just sort of assumed that the crash would be all the more epic later on.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Not really. He was right in the sense that, of the two candidates, he correctly predicted that the frontrunner would win the nomination. Which isn't exactly a challenging pick. But he pointlessly dismissed the surge in support that happened in January. There was a brief period in time where it looked like Bernie might have a very solid shot at winning the nomination.

His take was that Sanders could win Iowa and New Hampshire and lose everything else, which is basically how it looks now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nate Silver and other data journalists were basically running on the theory that candidates would boom-and-bust like Herman Cain and other candidates in the 2012 race. They just sort of applied 2012 as a universal model for no particular reason, and ignored the reasons why 2012 happened the way it did in the first place (because the right disliked Romney). When the bust never happened, I guess they just sort of assumed that the crash would be all the more epic later on.

I noticed that, and commented on how, if anything, Trump's pattern of support was more like a supercharged Romney than one of the not-Romneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Bip Roberts posted:

His take was that Sanders could win Iowa and New Hampshire and lose everything else, which is basically how it looks now.

Well, prior to Hillary's polling surge last week Bernie was on track for possible wins in MA, CO, MN, VT, and maybe even OK. So I think that fundamental thesis was wrong - and 538 was so overweighting the wrong factors (like endorsements) that it gave Hillary a 58% chance of winning NH a few weeks out from the primary.

• Locked thread