Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New main episode is ready. In this one we finish up the Insect Area.

I edited out the part where I had to reload and play up to where I died in the previous episode. Let me know if that's something you'd rather I didn't do in the future.

Edit: 2 updates for the price of one!

New enemies:

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Have I missed item descriptions, or do they just not exist? I want to see one for Fear Quilted Hide.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
You can get small descriptions but they are pretty dull.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So do your stats go up bit by bit as you do combat/kill monsters?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Yes. I'm not 100% sure how exactly it works yet. There are precious few resources for this game on the internet.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

How does the durability work? Does hitting walls or corpses/grass take durability or only hitting enemies? How many hits is one durability point?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I did a little bit of testing with this tonight and it seems like it varies a lot. Hitting walls doesn't seem to affect durability at all. Hitting objects however (I tested it on doors and a save station) seems to do 2 points of durability damage to your weapon per hit. Hitting enemies seems to do much less durability damage. I was able to get off several hits to enemies before losing even a sing point of durability. This might depend on enemy stats. Further testing will be required.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New update!

In this episode we make several mistakes but ultimately finish up this area.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I'm not going to be that guy but I got a good laugh out of you stumbling around those poison gas rooms waiting for the poison gas to clear... When it was already clear the moment the purifier turned on, and you were just Poisoned.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Yeah, it took me a while to grasp exactly what was going on. I made it through though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm sure you're happy to have this area behind you. Poison themed areas are never high points for me.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
It's kind of charming to see that From has been doing obnoxious poison areas this far back, and has never once done it well. But by god, they're going to keep trying.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
While I was glad to be rid of the area I mostly found that I had enough HP and it drained slow enough that I never really worried/thought about it that much.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New Shadow Tower Classic update!

Working on the next main update, should be up later today!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
As promised, our next main update:

New enemies:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Their screams....Decrease your Max HP?
The stat situation in this game is super weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What the hell does "solvent" even mean? Is that supposed to be an acid attack value?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How much of the stuff you're collecting is randomized?

This game is fascinating to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I totally forgot this area existed. I thought the area after the poison one was (future area spoilers) water area, though that area can't be too far ahead surely or my memory really is awful.

Lotish posted:

What the hell does "solvent" even mean? Is that supposed to be an acid attack value?

I think if I remember correctly, it boosts your resistance to poisons.

Night10194 posted:

How much of the stuff you're collecting is randomized?

This game is fascinating to me.

I don't think any of it is randomized. Allison is collecting items I collected myself on my playthrough a few years back.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
All the items placed in the world are fixed. Enemy drops are random though I think some of them might have guaranteed drops.

And the water area is after the area after the White Wall Area.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think that's just the armor durability going down after getting hit, which lowers the stats it gives, at least if this works like it was outlined in the Bonfire Side Chat episode of the first game.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New update:

New enemies:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Really enjoying these videos. LPs of rare or obscure games are definitely the best ones on the forum. I've always hoped someone would tackle King's Field at some point, but this is actually better.

Also I find it absolutely hilarious that the Nambu Type-14 is more powerful that the 1911. :japan:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm glad you're enjoying the episodes so far. I'm also happy to be able to show off games like these to folks who might not otherwise discover them.

Here is a new episode of Shadow Tower classic!

Some cool stuff in this one! The original Shadow Tower episodes have been getting much lower views that the Abyss episodes but I'd encourage everyone to check them out. It's a neat game too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been watching the Classic ones too, and I agree they're good, though personally I think turning the speed to x1.25 makes them a lot more engaging to watch.

Both of these games have some imaginative monster designs, and I dig it.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
This stuff really is fascinating in its own way. Fantasy dungeon crawler with guns? It's like somebody stole my school notebooks.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
It looks like you missed the axe behind the passive monster at 12:20 into White Wall Area - Part 2.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
You have to kill him to reach it and I felt bad about doing that. The next video is White Wall Area clean up and I may or may not have went back for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying the episodes so far. I'm also happy to be able to show off games like these to folks who might not otherwise discover them.

Here is a new episode of Shadow Tower classic!

Some cool stuff in this one! The original Shadow Tower episodes have been getting much lower views that the Abyss episodes but I'd encourage everyone to check them out. It's a neat game too.

Helping a demoness sounds like a good idea. No way that can backfire.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

AllisonByProxy posted:

You have to kill him to reach it and I felt bad about doing that. The next video is White Wall Area clean up and I may or may not have went back for it.

Is it supposed to be a good axe to compensate you for the guilt?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm actually kind of impressed at how much incidental stuff I missed in Shadow Tower Abyss. I always thought the plot was pretty nonsensical but I never found many of the NPCs in hidden areas either so I probably missed a lot.

Also that boss fight is a good example of why ranged weaponry kind of break the game, especially later on when you get more powerful guns and can buy plenty of ammo for them. Allison managed to get him briefly stunlocked there and sometimes the AI just doesn't know what to do when you've got a ranged weapon. This also means the beginning of the game is much harder than the later parts because you really are scrounging for items and weapons just to survive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something really hilarious and satisfying about the idea that deep within the darkest of dungeons, seeking after a mystical and probably evil divine spear, you find a cattle prod and proceed to go ham on demons with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay, what on earth are those one legged hopping horned things supposed to be?

edit: Apparently GameFAQs has a bestiary for this game, and those are Imps. A mundane name for such a weird little bugger.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 4, 2016

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
I really like the sounds the laser-firing plants make. :shobon:

Also, I thought you could just walk around that passive monster to get the axe. :saddowns:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I think the Shadow Tower Original videos are equally as good to be honest. The game is clearly a lot more primitive, but still very interesting.

Just gonna gun nerd here for a minute. I spent most of the boss fight watching the animation on the Blackhawk, rather than the boss. That is until I remembered I could slow down the video to see what I wanted.

So the Ruger Blackhawk is a real gun. It was developed in the modern age in a variety of calibers (ours appears to shoot some kind of tiny grenade round? at least given the boxes of ammo we find) to look and feel like a traditional "Cowboy" gun. This occurred during the rise in popularity of cowboy movies, which in turn spurred an interest in cowboy style shooting. Basically people wanted fancy modern guns with a single action trigger instead of the modern double action. When you see someone pull back the hammer on a gun before every shot that's single action. Pulling the trigger releases the hammer, but does not return it to the "ready" position. Typically single actions have what would be referred to as a hair trigger, where you need only the minimal amount of force to pull it. Basically the only widely available single action on the market at the time was the Colt Single Action Army, which had originally been designed in 1872 and had only been out of production for a few years at that point. Colt quickly resumed production, and a variety of companies released the own single action revolvers.

The point of this rambling? If you look carefully, you can clearly see Hiro Protagonist ready the hammer after each trigger pull. It's just the little touches that make the game great. Even if I have no way to know if they were purposeful...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's pretty hilarious they make the Type 14 Nambu way stronger than our hero's trusty M1911, though. :japan:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm not a gun nerd so I have no idea why that's funny.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I don't know what the guns are like compared to each other IRL, but the Type 14 is a Japanese handgun. The joke is FROM made the Type 14 stronger because :japan: > :911:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As long as the katana isn't stronger than the plasma cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm not a gun nerd so I have no idea why that's funny.

The Type 14 fires a really tiny bullet.

I'm not a gun nerd either but I know an 8mm is a good bit smaller than a .45.

• Locked thread