Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, according to a little research, the Nambu's 8x22 mm bullet only packs up to 200 foot pounds with military loads, while a standard .45 for a 1911 would do anywhere from twice to three times that.

But this is the Shadow Tower, so maybe there's some weird magic involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I hope they at least managed to tell the difference between clips and magazines!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Okay, let's not derail the thread with gun talk. Anyway, here's the next episode:

This episode is mostly just picking up lots of items we missed in the White Wall Area and heading back to the hub area. We do reunite with someone at the end of the video though. Next episode will be more interesting I promise!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean the real reason is obviously that you find the Nambu later, so for gameplay reasons it should be stronger than your starting pistol.

Also, I originally disliked the lack of a crosshair but I think it really contributes to how tentative the gunplay feels, which adds to the atmosphere. You're stuck in a terrible dungeon with no real consistent source of supplies, every bullet is precious (for now), and while you can magdump a gun faster than you could swing your sword, you need to make every shot count. It's neat and I wince every time you miss because goddamn we need those bullets.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 5, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game looks awesome, you can see how they took the formula from the previous game(s) and improved on them, but I just know I'd never have gotten far into it. Or maybe it would have taught me not to be a packrat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

These weird wobbly eyed little guys have a kind of harmless cuteness that even when they're aggressive I feel a little bad we have to kill them. That shouldn't be possible with their giant circular fang mouths, but maybe it's because I've read some Kuro lately.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im the opposite.
Theyre setting off a "TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE" reaction on my part.

Honestly if I was playing I think Id have punted the passive ones into the moon.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New update, new area!

Exciting stuff in this episode. We explore a new area, meet a new npc, and get too cocky.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

you should really just attack the bulbous bits on the regen monsters.
that seems to insta kill.

Also :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:PATCHES:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't believe I never figured out that he was Patches from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and apparently the Armored Core series, despite the glaring similarities. That's great.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Rigged Death Trap posted:

you should really just attack the bulbous bits on the regen monsters.
that seems to insta kill.

Also :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:PATCHES:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

That's a good tip that I didn't realize. I'll try it next time I record.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't believe I never figured out that he was Patches from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and apparently the Armored Core series, despite the glaring similarities. That's great.

He's in Bloodborne too. We haven't seen the last of him either! Perhaps we will get our revenge yet...

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New update!

We make it to the boss of the area and boy is it a tough one. You'll have to watch to find out if I succeed!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
drat, that cut-in-half skeleton is a really cool touch!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Happy to see another appearance by one of my favorite Shadow Tower enemies, the Goddamned Laser Weed

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That fight with that entire room full of laser weeds was actually really tense.

Ho ho ho, now we have a machine gun.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How the gently caress did I not notice this before now. Super glad that someone's doing it, especially since that someone is not me. :v:

AllisonByProxy posted:

Yes. I'm not 100% sure how exactly it works yet. There are precious few resources for this game on the internet.

There was a very good resource for information in the fan site kings-field.com, but not only did that vanish a few years ago, but for w/e reason it no longer can be accessed on the wayback machine either. IIRC it had info on a lot of the mechanics, as well as good maps for most of the games.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 7, 2016

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Thanks for watching Genocyber! I've been following your excellent Bloodborne LP.

I'm enjoying playing these games a lot. I hope I can finish it up before I get my hands on Dark Souls 3. (17 days!)

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New episode!

In this episode we finish up the Scouring Rush area.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm enjoying watching you play both games so far, and I'm really impressed by your editing skills when you use the save points. There's barely if any indication you've done anything more than just walked up to it and looked at it briefly. Very nice job.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

These in between areas seem a bit like too much padding. This one especially is just drab and uninteresting. At least the Poison area had it's whole verticality and purity stone gimmick

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Hopefully the next area will be more interesting. It's the obligatory water level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Did we see what was special about that ring you picked up? You did collect a lot of loot, but I don't think I you went into much of it besides the new gun. Was it all side-grades/vendor trash?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm bad about this I know. I'll look through my inventory at the start of the next episode.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

This game seems amazing so far, I wish I'd have heard of it considering how absolutely "From-esque" From made it. It seems like something that would have been eye-opening if I had played it when it was released.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

This game seems amazing so far, I wish I'd have heard of it considering how absolutely "From-esque" From made it. It seems like something that would have been eye-opening if I had played it when it was released.

Agetec was going to localize it and had actually finished the translation of the game and just needed to do the manual and boxart, but SCEA said no because they didn't think it would sell very well. They then pulled the same poo poo again with Demon's Souls until Atlus USA and Namco Bandai for the US and EU releases, picked it up and proved them wrong.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New episode!

We explore the entirety of Waterfall World in this episode.

Also I never posted the enemies from the last area so here they are along with the new enemies:

Scouring Rush enemies

Waterfall World enemies

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This is the area I remember quite vividly. Although now I have to wonder if it's possible to shoot "Patches" before he opens that trap door and if so, is there anything different which happens.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This is the area I remember quite vividly. Although now I have to wonder if it's possible to shoot "Patches" before he opens that trap door and if so, is there anything different which happens.
You actually can, but he still causes the bridge to drop at the start as he dies. So if you want to explore the area, you still have to go down the same path if you had played along with his trap.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised there's no drowning mechanic, even if it would have just been similar to getting poisoned.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ArclightBorealis posted:

You actually can, but he still causes the bridge to drop at the start as he dies. So if you want to explore the area, you still have to go down the same path if you had played along with his trap.

Neat. I figured nothing majorly different would happen but it's nice From Software gives you the option to be done with his poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Agetec was going to localize it and had actually finished the translation of the game and just needed to do the manual and boxart, but SCEA said no because they didn't think it would sell very well. They then pulled the same poo poo again with Demon's Souls until Atlus USA and Namco Bandai for the US and EU releases, picked it up and proved them wrong.

Tbf none of their previous games sold all that well in the West, which is why the publishers for them tend to vary.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It's almost as if, once in a while, taking a risk actually pays off. Crazy talk, I know!

It is quite interesting, watching Shadow Tower and/or King's Field games, and seeing so much of the inspiration for the Souls series laid out in front of you. I question this proto-Patches, though. The Patches I know and love only stabs you in the back the one time, then plays nice after a firm slap on the wrist. You are playing with my emotions, proto-Patches!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Patches fucks you over twice in both Demon's and Dark.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
New episode!

In this episode we complete all of Cliff World, face another boss, and head higher up the tower.

Sorry it took so long. It's been a busy week. In completely unrelated news, Salt and Sanctuary is great. You can check out a playlist of me fighting all the bosses by clicking here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh, those birdmen seemed a lot less annoying than the flying bugs from the ant area. Maybe because they were bigger targets?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Yeah, that and I'm more comfortable with the game. And they didn't move around as erratically.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a cool kind of progress.

Also poor hatchlings :smith:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly, I had forgotten about the bridges in the Catacombs that Patches screws you over with. But I am completely blanking on the second backstabbing incident in Demon's Souls. I remember he kicks you down a pit--as is his way--and then... nothin'.

What does the Darkness status effect do in this game? I know in King's Field, it basically blinds you. That effect seems so reduced in Abyss as to be almost unnoticeable.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm not sure what the point of darkness is other than making it look like you have sunglasses on and it plays a little annoying noise.

And Demon's Souls Patches tricks you into getting stuck behind an exploding bugbear in 2-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh, right! The bugbear. Yeah, I forgot about that one because I always kill the bugbear from behind first. I mean, Patches has obvious traps, and then he has obvious traps...

• Locked thread