Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I built my new PC this month and it didn’t work. :( first I forgot to turn the power supply on. Then it turned on for a bit and turned off again over and over, the nerd shop man said the motherboard had bent pins and I’m just going to pretend they came like that. He replaced it, said it worked in the shop, then I plugged it in, turned it on, the power supply made a bang and all the fuses in my house blew.

It works now and now I have to send back two broken components and an extra case that Amazon shipped me for no reason. PC gaming and home building ftw.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Ended up going with this build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140XP_BK 85.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($22.25 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1298.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 09:41 EST-0500
This is pretty much exactly what I got except double the price because I live in Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fiction posted:

Did you buy a different power supply?
Yep, it was completely dead.

I'm guessing it wasn't fully powering up when the motherboard was (also) a problem so that was its first real go and its poor little heart couldn't take it. :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Witcher 3 was chugging for me a bit at max settings until I decided to see if upgrading to Windows 10 helped and now it’s smooth as hell. Weird but okay

also it’s really good and I wasn’t expecting much because the first two were just deec

• Locked thread