Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Marco Rubio
Ted Cruz
Ben Carson
John Kasich
C'mon, you know it's gonna be Trump
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

LIVE STREAMS

http://www.cnn.com/ will not require a cable subscription.

In case the official one doesn't work for whatever reason, these :yarr: ones did last time:

http://www.livenewschat.eu/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/
http://www.hulkusc.com/

IRC

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=EU.synirc.net%3A%2B7001&channel=%23Poligoon

LOGISTICS

Venue: The University of Houston Moores Opera Center, Houston, TX
Moderators: Wolf :wow: Blitzer, with CNN's Dana Bash, Salem Radio's Hugh Hewitt, and Telemundo's Maria Celeste Arraras
Sponsors: CNN, Telemundo, Salem Communications

THE CONTENDERS

With their greatest political achievement.

Claims to be Constitutionally Eligible

Senator from Calgary

Let's dispel with the fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Egyptologist

Karate Kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trump's in it to win it.

:(

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I predict Marco Rubio will win according to the media and Trump will win every online poll (except perhaps the one in this thread).

Book it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I did some Joementum-style spreadsheeting over the past few days.

The only state that a non-Trump could win if the election was today is Texas, which has 158 delegates (almost 20% of the entire day). Those 158 are distributed proportionately with 47 going to anyone clearing 20% and 108 to congressional district winners + 3 party VIPs.

Knowing Trump will come out of every other state with a minimum of 300 and maybe 400+ delegates, Rubio has to keep Trump's numbers down in Texas or possibly lose on the spot. There is one and only one way for this to happen: Cruz has to win the state and everyone has to break 20%. If Cruz' support collapses, even Rubio winning wouldn't help him since Trump would win a lot of districts and probably get 40%+ of the delegates either way. On the other hand, Cruz is probably dropping out after Super Tuesday anyway and his delegates will be up for grabs, so every Cruz delegate is implicitly pro-Rubio to begin with. This means that Rubio has a surefire debate strategy: ignore Cruz and try to pull down Trump.

Okay, sounds good, anyone who's finished a high school math class can figure this out so Rubio will go after Trump tonight and I can place my bets accor

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/cruz-rubio-prep-for-brutal-debate-night-219760

quote:

Rubio’s playbook
Rubio has yet to aggressively engage Trump — and those briefed on his strategy say he’s unlikely to do so on Thursday night.
The Florida senator has concluded that going after Trump would accomplish little because the businessman’s supporters are deeply committed and unlikely to swing Rubio’s way. Inciting a confrontation with Trump onstage would create drama but wouldn’t help the senator gain voters, something he badly needs as he looks for his first primary win.
Instead, Rubio’s team has decided his best bet is to focus fire on Cruz. They think the Texas senator’s voters are less locked in and could swing Rubio’s way should Cruz fade. The only way to dislodge Trump, Rubio’s advisers say, is to turn it into a two-man race — meaning that they first need to get Cruz out of the way.

oh yeah, everyone running is a complete disaster factory, never mind

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HOT PREDICTION: Cruz and Rubio will eat each other alive while Trump looks on smiling

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I never want this election cycle to end. With a narrowed field everyone is going to have to amp up their personality. Kasich is going to have to play so hard a common sense folksy that he'll pull out a meerschaum pipe and Carson will self-administer Propofol to reach herculean levels of drowse.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Evening classes are cancelled today, thanks GOP :toot:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Disappointed that there's no Jeb! option :(

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Disappointed that there's no Cthulhu option

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Adar posted:

I did some Joementum-style spreadsheeting over the past few days.

The only state that a non-Trump could win if the election was today is Texas, which has 158 delegates (almost 20% of the entire day). Those 158 are distributed proportionately with 47 going to anyone clearing 20% and 108 to congressional district winners + 3 party VIPs.

Knowing Trump will come out of every other state with a minimum of 300 and maybe 400+ delegates, Rubio has to keep Trump's numbers down in Texas or possibly lose on the spot. There is one and only one way for this to happen: Cruz has to win the state and everyone has to break 20%. If Cruz' support collapses, even Rubio winning wouldn't help him since Trump would win a lot of districts and probably get 40%+ of the delegates either way. On the other hand, Cruz is probably dropping out after Super Tuesday anyway and his delegates will be up for grabs, so every Cruz delegate is implicitly pro-Rubio to begin with. This means that Rubio has a surefire debate strategy: ignore Cruz and try to pull down Trump.

Okay, sounds good, anyone who's finished a high school math class can figure this out so Rubio will go after Trump tonight and I can place my bets accor

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/cruz-rubio-prep-for-brutal-debate-night-219760

oh yeah, everyone running is a complete disaster factory, never mind

On the other hand, if he is going to come out hostile, it's probably best to not highlight the fact that you are.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Possible lines of attack in tonights debate

Rubio - > Trump on Foreign policy(Been hinting at this for a while)
Rubio - > Trump on ISREAL(Hinted at this yesterday)
Rubio -> Trump on electability
Rubio -> Trump TAX RETURNS
Rubio - > Cruz on electability
Rubio -> Cruz on being a liar

Cruz - > Trump on not being conservative
Cruz - > Trump Abortion/PP
Cruz - > Trump Healthcare
Cruz - > Trump TAX RETURNS
Cruz - > Rubio immigration
Cruz -> Rubio Dirty tricks
Cruz ->Rubio on 'WHOS THE BEST NOT-TRUMP"

Trump will counter punch in his own special way, Kasich will play the voice of reason, and Carson will say a few crazy things.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
How long is the debate?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Harold Stassen posted:

How long is the debate?

Not long enough.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Seriously? Another poll without Baby Hitler?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So how much alcohol does everyone have for tonight?

I have 12 Icehouse Edges, because I want to regret all of this tomorrow.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jesus God, the last debate is tonight and Super Tuesday is in five days. Time is moving too quickly into the future.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I got none since I am waking up early tomorrow for early voting in texas. It will be the last day it is available.

I kinda wanna wait for super tuesday to watch the entire thing, but I'd be stuck in a very tiny church the entire time.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

Jesus God, the last debate is tonight and Super Tuesday is in five days. Time is moving too quickly into the future.
There's three post-Super Tuesday debates.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There's three post-Super Tuesday debates.

And the first one is next Thursday, featuring the long-awaited Donald-Megyn reunion.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

B B posted:

I am writing in baby hitler

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I have a midterm that starts in the middle of the debate, otherwise I'd be blackout in 30 minutes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cruz and Rubio are going to pull off a DBZ fusion to try to take on Trump

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

And the first one is next Thursday, featuring the long-awaited Donald-Megyn reunion.

I didn't realize he'd confirmed for that. Wonder if Megyn will hit him with old video clips like she did with Rubio and Cruz. He'll be in for a rough night in any event (or at least what for anyone else would be a rough night).

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cruz and Rubio are going to pull off a DBZ fusion to try to take on Trump

Future answer to the children's joke "What do you get when you cross a shaved rat and a pool boy"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

HOT PREDICTION: Cruz and Rubio will eat each other alive while Trump looks on smiling

There's no way that Cruz and Rubio don't know that the end is near. It's time to throw a hail mary, attack Trump, and pray that something sticks. If they continue the same immigration slapfight they've repeated several times now, they both lose. Again.

It probably won't work, but I do expect both of them to go after Trump tonight.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
joementum, can you please name the super tuesday thread you're going to make "Hillary sighed as she drew her katana." thanks in advance

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

You know, if he sweeps Super Tuesday he doesn't really have to go and could hold another Trumptacular! But he will go because of Super Tuesday 2 the next week.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Baby Hitler is insulted once again <:mad:>

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any idea where is the debate going to be posted online first once it's over? I usually watch them while drunkenly posting itt - but I won't be home tonight until about the time it's wrapping up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

B B posted:

Actually, if you look closely, you'll see he's on there twice.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Might want to put the start time in the OP.

Oh it is in the title I am dumb ignore me

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I fully expect the lack of Jeb won't stop Trump from randomly dunking on him

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I fully expect the lack of Jeb won't stop Trump from randomly dunking on him

I heard somewhere that GHWB and Barbara may be in attendance, may as well finish off Papa Bear since you got rid of the two sons

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

I heard somewhere that GHWB and Barbara may be in attendance, may as well finish off Papa Bear since you got rid of the two sons

Nah, you just lament how disappointed he must be in his sons, one for knocking over a dictator that H.W. had the sense to leave in place, the other for the totality of failure that is Jeb. Like when Trump said that Barbara would have been a better candidate than Jeb.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Should I watch this or Vikings?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Winkie01 posted:

This will probably be more violent.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

If only the debates were replaced with trial by combat. Much more entertaining, and unlikely to result in less actual intellectual content.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

picked up a growler of Stone IPA just for tonight

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Tonight we are all Baby Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib