Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

It's pretty insane living in a world where the candidate whose Russia policy has the highest practicality + sanity sum is loving Donald Trump.

It's pretty insane that someone is suggesting doing the same thing Hillary Clinton tried as Secretary of State, only macho, and expecting results to be different (besides what country gets invaded next). Well, what's a few thousand dead Ukrainias and who knows how many dead Syrians between egomaniacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slow burn wars are good business for oil, arms, and drugs.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vagon posted:

As an outsider to the American right, what has Trump's talk/policy on Russia been? Kill them all or respect for another Stronk Man?

Leaning more towards Respect Stronk Man than killemall.

Basically his policy is to carve up the ME equally between Our Dictators and Your Dicators, and brutally murder anyone who steps a toe out of line or towards Islamism. It fits very nicely with Putin's policy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
American politics.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Humour posted:

American politics.

Global politics - you should have a vote in the process. The wallet, the ballot, and the bullet are the three options an individual on planet earth has.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Look at the comments from the series of posters you're responding to. Everyone acknowledges the current political support for Putin is entirely predictable given Obama's response, and he and the rest of the executive branch were definitely not ignorant that this would be the case.
You are not making much sense, presuming that was what you tried to do at least.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

McDowell posted:

Slow burn wars are good business for oil, arms, and drugs.

Well, they haven't been enough to help oil all that much in the last year or so. :v:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

Well, they haven't been enough to help oil all that much in the last year or so. :v:

Too many players on the market. Daesh selling oil is like the Chinese banana cart stock trader.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Friendly Humour posted:

American politics.

Sorry about that. It was more my interest in future American/Russian relations. Didn't mean to derail the thread too much.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
U S A
U S A
U S A

:911:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kalstrams posted:

Your line of thought is the penultimate achievement of Putin's policies.
Penultimate means second to last. What do you think is/will be his final achievement? Restoring Tsarist Russia?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MH17 Truther logic on display

https://twitter.com/tedcruzinvasion/status/703724459652308992

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

He got you there.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress. That's really, really dumb.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
guess what missile also uses 30 mm ball bearings

its a buk

az
Dec 2, 2005

Twitter user tedcruzinvasion needs something to do while daydreaming about the darkest timeline under snotling king Cruz.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

gently caress. That's really, really dumb.

It's so loving dumb I still have no idea what it's trying to say. Like I understand the logic behind "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" but this is... wtf ???

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sparatuvs posted:

guess what missile also uses 30 mm ball bearings

its a buk

No, you don't understand, it's the proof that an unpressurized, ground attack aircraft that is physically incapable of climbing to airliner altitude without killing its pilot has engaged in dogfight with an airliner.

There is a documentary about how it happened, except they put time travel in the mix for plausible deniability.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

mobby_6kl posted:

It's so loving dumb I still have no idea what it's trying to say. Like I understand the logic behind "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" but this is... wtf ???

There's a 30mm hole in the plane, SU-25 fires 30mm bullets, therefore it must have been shot by an SU-25. QED.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

No, you don't understand, it's the proof that an unpressurized, ground attack aircraft that is physically incapable of climbing to airliner altitude without killing its pilot has engaged in dogfight with an airliner.

There is a documentary about how it happened, except they put time travel in the mix for plausible deniability.

I'm pretty sure that movie has fewer holes in its plot than Russia's version of events (coincidentally so does MH17s fuselage).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We're working on a few more MH17 reports, plus a 2 year anniversary report that's intended to be sort of the ultimate summary of all the information known so far, plus a look at various theories. We're still finding new bits and pieces, like we've noticed one of the videos from Russia that shows Buk 3x2 shows a white mark that's also visible on the Luhansk video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4udtaWZTI5I

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

http://yle.fi/uutiset/tsetseenijohtaja_ramzan_kadyrov_sanoo_olevansa_valmis_luopumaan_vallasta/8705028

Yle reporting that Kadyrov ready to step down when his term is up in April. According to News Agency AP he said: "leaders of the state have to find someone else, so my name won't be used against my people".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The obviously stupid parts distracted me from the not-quite-so-obviously stupid parts.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Young Freud posted:

Now would be the time to put missile defense as a top priority. It would neutralize the Russians' perennial threats of nuclear annihilation whenever someone considers countering something like Crimea takeover or using regular military in Donbass. Let the Russians spend to try to modernize their ballistic weapons to penetrate an upgraded missile defense network, it'll pull more money from their conventional military and bankrupt them faster. Imagine what would happen to their foreign policy if the Russians didn't have their nuclear weapons, we wouldn't be sitting on our hands with letting them bomb rebels and prop up Assad in Syria.
No, this is a terrible idea. You're proposing a nuclear arms race, and banking on winning it and nothing going very wrong along the way. Your end goal is a situation where the US with its missile shield believes they would win a nuclear war. That changes the equation on how much you want to risk one.

I don't like that Russia can pull this off and nobody can do anything about it, but alternatives like this have the potential to be immeasurably worse. You can't really do much militarily against a nuclear state.
e: Not that I think that going out there to fight a big conventional war against Russia is a good solution, even if it was plausible.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 28, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The obviously stupid parts distracted me from the not-quite-so-obviously stupid parts.

poo poo, right after you posted this I noticed it too. Wow, that really is goddamn stupid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

There's a 30mm hole in the plane, SU-25 fires 30mm bullets, therefore it must have been shot by an SU-25. QED.

That's pretty dumb of course. But what I was trying to figure out is whether they were claiming the SU-25 was equipped with a rivet gun or something... because that hole isn't even 30mm wide according to their own image :wtc:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Libluini posted:

poo poo, right after you posted this I noticed it too. Wow, that really is goddamn stupid.

Fuckin' geometry, how does it work?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Penultimate means second to last. What do you think is/will be his final achievement? Restoring Tsarist Russia?
The USSR, in a more fascist variation. Tsarist Russia obviously doesn't encompass all that's rightfully Property Of The Russian Empire.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Opus magnum of Putin definitely will be the restoration of former statehood, though I think of that of the Soviet Union.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Fuckin' geometry, how does it work?
Jewish Physics Western Geometry. :argh:

anilEhilated posted:

The USSR, in a more fascist variation. Tsarist Russia obviously doesn't encompass all that's rightfully Property Of The Russian Empire.
Tsarist Russia was bigger than the USSR though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

goddamn :stonklol:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Jewish Physics Western Geometry. :argh:

Tsarist Russia was bigger than the USSR though.
Oh, that's right. Make is USSR with all the satellites. And Finland for good measure, it's obviously been Russian all along.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Opus magnum of Putin definitely will be the restoration of former statehood, though I think of that of the Soviet Union.
An unambitious little troll of a man. (Yeah, he would probably judge Poland too be too much trouble.)

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, that's right. Make is USSR with all the satellites. And Finland for good measure, it's obviously been Russian all along.
Russia is anywhere a Russian soldier has shed blood in service to the Motherland.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Young Freud posted:

Expect Ukraine, Georgia, and the Baltics to be sold out and reintegrated with Russia by 2020 under President Trump.

I don't get the impression that Trump is the sort of guy who would just hand an entire region of developed world over to their arch-nemesis. Furthermore, I don't think any U.S. president can make that decision without the approval of his military leadership. Empires don't voluntarily give away their power and influence, it has never happened and it never will.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OhYeah posted:

I don't get the impression that Trump is the sort of guy who would just hand an entire region of developed world over to their arch-nemesis. Furthermore, I don't think any U.S. president can make that decision without the approval of his military leadership. Empires don't voluntarily give away their power and influence, it has never happened and it never will.
He can just do it by inaction. Guy supposedly respects Putin for being a strong leader, Putin will play him like a fiddle.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

anilEhilated posted:

He can just do it by inaction. Guy supposedly respects Putin for being a strong leader, Putin will play him like a fiddle.

Trump is a complete narcissist and if he gets into the White House, he will be the leader of the greatest empire that has ever existed on this planet. He will give jack poo poo to Putin.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I see the diameter/area confusion stupid part, what's the other one?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OhYeah posted:

Trump is a complete narcissist and if he gets into the White House, he will be the leader of the greatest empire that has ever existed on this planet. He will give jack poo poo to Putin.

Wait, now you have me confused, Trump will end up President of China if he gets into the White House? :confused:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

There is literally nothing on a 777 that is metric lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Bonus points for mention of "lack of alternatives" on one year anniversary of the Nemtsov assassination.

From what I hear, Nemtsov was a pretty crappy alternative even before he got capped. Being a major presence in the dramatically corrupt, dissident-murdering, economy-mauling Yeltsin government didn't win him many friends (of course, Putin's government does the exact same things, but an alternative is generally supposed to be better).