Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna point out two things: One, that they are saying this person on screen represents Ukraine. Two, they are now claiming this was a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

He's not saying that person "represents" Ukraine. He's saying arms going to Ukraine will fall into the hands of that guy and others like him, which is literally what is happening. So it's a stupid probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Everyone obsessing over Nazis in Ukraine seem to conveniently ignore the number of Nazis / white nationalists that also happen to exist in Russia, and probably are in the Russian military as well.

My point being it is literally Russian propaganda that Ukraine is full of Nazis and therefore it need's Russian "assistance" to be rid of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cookie Cutter posted:

He's not saying that person "represents" Ukraine. He's saying arms going to Ukraine will fall into the hands of that guy and others like him, which is literally what is happening. So it's a stupid probe.

They also claim it was a joke. Ha ha. funny.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Everyone obsessing over Nazis in Ukraine seem to conveniently ignore the number of Nazis / white nationalists that also happen to exist in Russia, and probably are in the Russian military as well.

My point being it is literally Russian propaganda that Ukraine is full of Nazis and therefore it need's Russian "assistance" to be rid of them.

Literally this. Russia is funding White Supremacist and Neo-Nazis in Donbass as well. Obviously that means "Let them fight" is the best solution

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Their post was:

Gonna point out two things: One, that they are saying this person on screen represents Ukraine and therefore is a reason not to defend Ukraine. Two, they are now claiming this was a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Nobody is defending Azov battalion.

Perhaps arming a government with a real life SS-founded division is a poor choice, especially when that division is arming and training Nazi grandmas.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If UK and USA were funneling arms and cash to the Russian nazis, yes that would be a serious concern. Luckily they aren't so we can focus the discussion on the things our governments are provably doing. It's not good team vs bad team for heaven's sake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Perhaps arming a government with a real life SS-founded division is a poor choice, especially when that division is arming and training Nazi grandmas.

Got it. Roll on in Russia, nothing to be saved here.

Cookie Cutter posted:

If UK and USA were funneling arms and cash to the Russian nazis, yes that would be a serious concern. Luckily they aren't so we can focus the discussion on the things our governments are provably doing. It's not good team vs bad team for heaven's sake.

Aren't you the guy in the UKMT thread defending Russia as simply reacting to NATO expansion west? So at this point, are you basically just parroting Russian justifications for annexation of Crimea and Donbass region?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, knock it off. They implied that the Azov Battalion represents the entirety of Ukraine. That'd be like someone interviewing a US Militia Group and saying that is the entire country. Find something new to slapfight about.

I mean it certainly doesn’t help that western media just beams footage from neo-nazi militias and frames it like this near constantly:

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1493001855521202185?s=21

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Rape apologist and genocide denier tankie handwringing about nazis. Get out freak

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

I re-read my post and... I wasn't suggesting that? The current buildup does mean that there is zero chance Ukraine would meaningfully protest (e.g. attempt to re-ignite the conflict) in the case of declarations of independence. Pre-buildup then potentially Ukraine would have tried to do something about it if the DPR and LPR suddenly declared independence like, last summer.

It is definitely an excessive effort for minimal gain, considering that they're already de facto part of Russia, it's just the only thing I can see happening that warrants the military buildup and which would not lead to a significant outbreak of war or sanctions against Russia. Maybe when Putin started the buildup he thought that Europe would roll over like when he took Crimea or invaded in Georgia -- although for Georgia, Abkhazia and South Ossetia were anyway de facto independent well prior to Putin's involvement.

PS: statelet is an actual term: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/statelet

Fair enough, I appreciate the clarification. I had taken “Russia can take Donetsk and Luhansk over” as a suggestion that DPR and LPR can be viewed in separation from Russia.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This is whataboutism, not currently talking about Russian nazis does not mean they do not exist, or that you cannot talk about the real, existing Ukranian nazis and especially the threat that they pose in destabilizing a country currently in an extremely stressful position and therefore the danger in giving them weapons, puff pieces, etc.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^
No, it's not. Whataboutism is bringing up bad behavior in a totally unrelated place.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament.

Uh, what? Putin isn't attacking the country (with a Jewish president!) because he is concerned about anti-Semitism.
Do you even know what the Black Hundreds were?

P.S. I have some hands-on experience with anti-Semitism in Ukraine, growing up Jewish. That involved (Russian-speaking!) kids I grew up with drawing a swastika on election posters of a Jewish candidate for some local office. Was pretty terrifying.

P.P.S. You are doing a lot of conflating of domestic anti-Semitism (you really should have bought up Bohdan loving Khmelnitsky) with that done by Russian imperial elites.

P.P.P.S. Also it's not "the Ukraine". If you don't even know how to call a country properly, maybe you shouldn't

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 14, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Got it. Roll on in Russia, nothing to be saved here.

C'mon man, you can just disagree with me without shoving words in my mouth.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does that mean every Ukrainian is a Nazi? Of course not. Does that mean Russia should invade them? Lol no. But you just can't pretend that doesn't exist, and probing people for pointing out that this long running tradition of hatred still exists serves only to run cover for worst people on the planet.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament. The centuries of pogroms and paramilitary groups that the Ukraine has been responsible for are not anomalous but rather a very clear pattern that continues to this day. The cossacks, for example, were notorious in their cruelty to the Jewish people.

Does that mean every Ukrainian is a Nazi? Of course not. Does that mean Russia should invade them? Lol no. But you just can't pretend that doesn't exist, and probing people for pointing out that this long running tradition of hatred still exists serves only to run cover for worst people on the planet.

And this history is unique to Ukraine, and not the entire Russian Empire....how?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

C'mon man, you can just disagree with me without shoving words in my mouth.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm basically quoting the person who got probed saying that this image of Ukrainian Nazis means that we shouldn't give defensive weapons to the entire country.

And again, the user is claiming THIS WAS A JOKE. That we were supposed to find it funny.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

This isn't directed at you, but what "soft power" does Russia even possess? They have a fungible commodity that Europe can get from other places if they need to. That's it. Their currency is poo poo, they don't export culture, they don't support their neighbors (only their autocratic rulers), they don't have a system of government people want to emulate, and they have a GDP roughly equivalent to Florida.

Their soft power is basically a protection racket and nothing else.

I think Russian culture (and by extension Soviet one) is a thing they could export, and they do to some extent. Some of the movies made in Russia are pretty nice, it's not only drifting T-34 penetrating Panthers with sheer Slavic ingenuity. I think they should be also a major educational destination to all former Soviet states, add some decent government subsidies and you'd get whole generations of young Ukrainians, Kazakhs, etc that have a nice view of Russia. And on local scale they are the dominant economical power. Only that a couple years back Putin has decided that outside of dealing with Germany and China all other economic exchanges need to be clearly one sided "buy our poo poo, and we'll do our best to block yours".

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Aren't you the guy in the UKMT thread defending Russia as simply reacting to NATO expansion west? So at this point, are you basically just parroting Russian justifications for annexation of Crimea and Donbass region?

Just because "Russia says thing" does not = thing being false. That's some "putin the mastermind" nonsense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Alchenar posted:

Virtually every Russia watcher I know would agree that the West's handling of Russia's economic liberalisation was pretty disastrous (particually in comparison to the success stories of how the rest of Eastern Europe has been integrated into the European order), but the rough balance of opinion is that Yeltsin took the advice that he wanted, did what he wanted, and that a Russia that was already smarting from the humiliation of 'losing' the cold war and no longer being a superpower would probably have violently rejected a more assertive group of Westerners telling them how to run their own country.
Wasn't Yeltsin supported by Clinton, in the sense that Clinton used his influence to make it easier for Yeltsin to claim he was a good leader? I feel like if you support the guy who is only taking the advice he wants, you're kind of responsible for the politics he carries out.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

West hosed Russia over in the 90s, but that was 30 years ago. Russia has stood on its own legs more than long enough to have built something other than a patronage-based oligarchy.
Eh, 30 years is not that long ago. Aside from that, the resource curse is real. Being rich in natural resources distorts your economy, making your currency too strong relative to your productivity in other sectors, making those sectors noncompetitive. This encourages further reliance on your primary sector, a sector basically built for a patronage-based oligarchy.

Of course the conclusion here is that you'd need some extremely altruistic intervention to prevent Russia from falling into that trap, since the natural resources were gonna be there no matter what, and they'd be very easy for anyone unscrupulous enough to grab the entire country to use as a way to cement their power. You basically need to create a sovereign wealth fund to essentially sanitize the money and make it safe for the rest of the economy. Which if you've already created a patronage-based oligarchy means upsetting a lot of people, since you're basically saying you're gonna put the money aside for long-term investments that will eventually result in a (relatively) healthy economy for the population at large down the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cookie Cutter posted:

Just because "Russia says thing" does not = thing being false. That's some "putin the mastermind" nonsense.

No, but the problem is by doing so you are saying this justifies Russian actions against Crimea and Ukraine. So maybe you should clarify how Russian military intervention and invasion is a consequence of NATO expansion and therefore, is okay.

Because that is what Russia is saying.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And this history is unique to Ukraine, and not the entire Russian Empire....how?

Their collaboration with the Nazis including participating in the Holocaust.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Eh, 30 years is not that long ago. Aside from that, the resource curse is real. Being rich in natural resources distorts your economy, making your currency too strong relative to your productivity in other sectors, making those sectors noncompetitive. This encourages further reliance on your primary sector, a sector basically built for a patronage-based oligarchy.

Of course the conclusion here is that you'd need some extremely altruistic intervention to prevent Russia from falling into that trap, since the natural resources were gonna be there no matter what, and they'd be very easy for anyone unscrupulous enough to grab the entire country to use as a way to cement their power. You basically need to create a sovereign wealth fund to essentially sanitize the money and make it safe for the rest of the economy. Which if you've already created a patronage-based oligarchy means upsetting a lot of people, since you're basically saying you're gonna put the money aside for long-term investments that will eventually result in a (relatively) healthy economy for the population at large down the road.

Sure, that makes sense to me. I’d like to slightly clarify my earlier implication - in my opinion, Russia has only strengthened its model of oligarchy, instead of making even incremental improvements. As far as entrepreneurship in Russia is concerned, the most important changes have been that you’re less likely to be killed for having a successful company, or see your company taken over in a raid.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

This is whataboutism, not currently talking about Russian nazis does not mean they do not exist, or that you cannot talk about the real, existing Ukranian nazis and especially the threat that they pose in destabilizing a country currently in an extremely stressful position and therefore the danger in giving them weapons, puff pieces, etc.

I'd say the bigger threat to Ukraine is currently the imperial state massing nearly 200K troops backed by heavily military equipment along it's border but ok.

*edit*

This poo poo reminds me of Iraq war justifications when we totally HAD to invade Iraq to save it from Saddam and his ilk. It's all bullshit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wasn't Yeltsin supported by Clinton, in the sense that Clinton used his influence to make it easier for Yeltsin to claim he was a good leader? I feel like if you support the guy who is only taking the advice he wants, you're kind of responsible for the politics he carries out.

I mean, yes, but 'support' is a word that has a huge left/right of arc. Saying nice things about Yeltsin, sending a few guys over to talk about market economics and otherwise being diplomatically accomodating is a substantially different thing to the far more tangible diplomatic and economic support that say, Poland and the Baltic States got to reform their economies. The reality is that almost immediately after '91 Russia just ceased to be in the minds of western policy makers.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Somaen posted:

Rape apologist and genocide denier tankie handwringing about nazis. Get out freak

now this is what I call discourse

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't think you can really separate the very long and very brutal history of antisemitism in the Ukraine from it's current predicament. The centuries of pogroms and paramilitary groups that the Ukraine has been responsible for are not anomalous but rather a very clear pattern that continues to this day. The cossacks, for example, were notorious in their cruelty to the Jewish people.

Congrts on describing every country in the world, and throwing in a racist dogwhistle while you are at it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Their collaboration with the Nazis including participating in the Holocaust.

If you are under the impression there were no Belarussian or Russian collaborators, you are just willfully ignorant. If you are under the impression there were no pogroms and antisemitism in Russia or Belarus prior to or after WWII, you are doubly ignorant. If you believe there were no Ukraininans fighting against the Nazis as soldiers or partisans, you should just gently caress off. Imperial Russia (as its multiethnic whole, not just today's Russia) was possibly the most antisemitic country in Europe before the revolution, and the domestic attitudes didn't change overnight, if indeed they changed at all.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 14, 2022

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

No, but the problem is by doing so you are saying this justifies Russian actions against Crimea and Ukraine. So maybe you should clarify how Russian military intervention and invasion is a consequence of NATO expansion and therefore, is okay.

Because that is what Russia is saying.

Justified? Nah. Okay? Nah. Understandable? Yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cookie Cutter posted:

Justified? Nah. Okay? Nah. Understandable? Yes.

How is saying its "Understandable" not justification.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

If you are under the impression there were no Belarussian or Russian collaborators, you are just willfully ignorant. If you are under the impression there were no pogroms and antisemitism in Russia or Belarus prior to or after WWII, you are doubly ignorant. If you believe there were no Ukraininans fighting against the Nazis as soldiers or partisans, you should just gently caress off. Imperial Russia (as its multiethnic whole, not just today's Russia) was possibly the most antisemitic country in Europe before the revolution, and the domestic attitudes didn't change overnight, if indeed they changed at all.
They did when Lenin (who was 1/8th Jewish) jailed the paramilitary groups like the Black 100s and forcibly ended the pogroms.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Because different words have different meanings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They did when Lenin (who was 1/8th Jewish) jailed the paramilitary groups like the Black 100s and forcibly ended the pogroms.

Hm yes, the day Vladimir Lenin personally ended racism and nobody was racist ever after

VVVV
You sound a lot like one of them, what do we call them? rootless cosmopolitans :thunk:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^^^
Uh, yep. Jewish, born in Ukraine, heard stories from his dad about how he didn't even apply to his dream college in Moscow because he didn't think he would have a chance given quotas limiting number of Jews they would admit.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

... You do know that USSR had a state policy of pretending the Holocaust didn't happen, and had a lot of institutional anti-Semitism?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 14, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

"understandable" doesn't confer normativity.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OddObserver posted:

... You do know that USSR had a state policy of pretending the Holocaust didn't happen, and had a lot of institutional anti-Semitism?

Source plz.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I mean, yes, but 'support' is a word that has a huge left/right of arc. Saying nice things about Yeltsin, sending a few guys over to talk about market economics and otherwise being diplomatically accomodating is a substantially different thing to the far more tangible diplomatic and economic support that say, Poland and the Baltic States got to reform their economies. The reality is that almost immediately after '91 Russia just ceased to be in the minds of western policy makers.
I think I get your point now. Basically, what Russia needed was to get the full makeover, but no one involved wanted to try for that, so it ended up basically just being the Russian leadership grabbing a few bad ideas from the West and loving up their own country with them.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sure, that makes sense to me. I’d like to slightly clarify my earlier implication - in my opinion, Russia has only strengthened its model of oligarchy, instead of making even incremental improvements. As far as entrepreneurship in Russia is concerned, the most important changes have been that you’re less likely to be killed for having a successful company, or see your company taken over in a raid.
That's what I mean by that type of economy basically being built for oligarchy. With no intervention, it "naturally" moves towards oligarchy, so you need powerful and persistent attempts to pull the other direction to fix it. Even if Putin wanted to, he would need to be the action hero he pretends to be to succeed.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Did that change the attitudes, or just prevent them from being acted upon?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Let's look what Uncle Joe was up to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctors%27_plot

quote:

The "doctors' plot" affair (Russian: дело врачей, romanized: delo vrachey, lit. 'doctors' case'), also known as the case of saboteur doctors (Russian: врачи-вредители, romanized: vrachi-vrediteli, lit. 'vermin doctors') or killer doctors (Russian: врачи-убийцы, romanized: vrachi-ubiytsy), was an alleged conspiracy of prominent Soviet medical specialists to murder leading government and party officials.[1] In 1951–1953, a group of predominantly Jewish doctors from Moscow were accused of a conspiracy to assassinate Soviet leaders.[2] This was later accompanied by publications of antisemitic character in the media, which talked about the threats of Zionism and condemned people with Jewish surnames. Following this, many doctors, both Jews and non-Jews, were dismissed from their jobs, arrested, and tortured to produce admissions. A few weeks after the death of Stalin, the new Soviet leadership said there was a lack of evidence regarding the doctors' plot and the case was dropped. Soon after, it was declared that the case had been a fabrication.

Not good!

Now to be fair, I believe antisemitism in the USSR "improved" after Stalin's death. But it never went away, but it also never went away anywhere in Europe and lately there has been a big rise in Nazis and Fascism in all of Europe, Russia and Ukraine included. It IS a problem.

What drives me insane though are the posters (the usual suspects) who are just repeating Russian propaganda whole cloth that no, Nazis only exist in Ukraine and I guess if that's true then both sides are at fault and truth is in the middle and oh well if Russia invades again (remember, they already started a war in 2014) then oh well....

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Source plz.

Stop posting in bad faith and Google it yourself for once.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TipTow posted:

"understandable" doesn't confer normativity.

I'm with you on the lingustics but the underlying argument isn't really true. Russia had the opportunity to complain at every phase of NATO enlargement and didn't. The 2004 and 2009 enlargements happened under Putin's watch and he didn't make any fuss about it then.

The issue here is not NATO, it's that Russia sees its neighbours westernising and sees itself losing what little soft power it had left with them. 'NATO threatens us' is just the argument being thrown up because that's far more plapable than 'we don't like losing our client states'.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did that change the attitudes, or just prevent them from being acted upon?

Well, technically executing antisemites does cause a severe alteration in brain chemistry, so yes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well, technically executing antisemites does cause a severe alteration in brain chemistry, so yes.

Why didn't he execute Stalin

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Why didn't he execute Stalin

Because he needed him to beat Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm sure the Black Hundreds represented all the anti-semites of the territories they hailed from.