Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

One more thing. The new justice minister is doing away with the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, meaning any evidence gathered illegally will be admissible in court. :psyduck:

This country is becoming a sick joke.

Eh, That's probably the first change introduced by the new government I agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Eh, That's probably the first change introduced by the new government I agree with.

Can I ask why? I mean we have laws about evidence gathering for a reason, and that reason is to protect citizens from abuses and provocations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aumanor posted:

Those laws are there as much to protect the prosecution from discrediting itself with stupid blunders, as they are to protect citizens from extortion and underhanded tactics.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The most Eastern Europe?

lol can i has western judicial traditions?

no, because of government incompetence.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aumanor posted:

Are you a fan of loose cannons who don't play by the rules, but dammit, who get results?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

On the police TV shows I always see the good hero cops catch the bad guy but then the bad guy does some lawyer voodoo and suddenly the evidence is all thrown out. We need to empower cops to get the bad guys, like on the television programs.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
They're going at it backwards.

They should keep the doctrine and avoid the bad press, while at the same time removing all regulations that make obtaining evidence illegaly illegal. "Fruit of the poisonous tree" still applies, illegally obtained evidence is still inadmissable, except all ways of obtaining evidence are legal. :shepface:

Where's my cushy government job Mr. Ziobro?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The US Federal Government has built cases with illegal evidence gathering - its called 'parallel construction'. This is why former prosecutor Chris Christie is a big NSA fan.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The presidential limousine almost crashed when one of its tires - supposedly puncture-resistant - fell apart. No one got hurt. Many PiS voters are already making new conspiracy theories, while another half of the country is cracking jokes and putting tasteful stuff like "I wish he had died a torturous death" on their Facebook walls.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

A Pale Horse posted:

One more thing. The new justice minister is doing away with the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine, meaning any evidence gathered illegally will be admissible in court. :psyduck:

This country is becoming a sick joke.

Do you have sources for this and other similar greatest hits of PiS's new glorious rule? My dad keeps sending me :smug: emails over "look at how evil PiS is, they give benefits for families with kids, the horrors!" so while it won't change his mind or anything, it would make me feel much better to have sources to respond with "lol who needed rules of evidence anyway".

I mean, as a PiS supporter you can imagine the conspiracy theories he subscribes to and he'll probably praise throwing out fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine as "PO made up ridiculous evidence rules to stop PiS from prosecuting commie mutant traitors! GLORY TO THE FATHERLAND!" but I'd like to think if he's so obsessed with getting rid of corruption in Poland, a functioning justice system would be kinda important to him.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The man who made this video of the Estonian Independence Day parade lost his job for the colorful commentary about how gay the Baltic forces' flag was and many racial slurs when the American troops paraded by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ZBTmKWQFk

http://rus.delfi.ee/daily/estonia/k...dom?id=73780407

And here is another video supposedly made two years ago today showing Russian troops and materiel arriving at the BlackSea training unit in Crimea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDqXuVuG5Lo

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 6, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

DrProsek posted:

Do you have sources for this and other similar greatest hits of PiS's new glorious rule? My dad keeps sending me :smug: emails over "look at how evil PiS is, they give benefits for families with kids, the horrors!" so while it won't change his mind or anything, it would make me feel much better to have sources to respond with "lol who needed rules of evidence anyway".

I mean, as a PiS supporter you can imagine the conspiracy theories he subscribes to and he'll probably praise throwing out fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine as "PO made up ridiculous evidence rules to stop PiS from prosecuting commie mutant traitors! GLORY TO THE FATHERLAND!" but I'd like to think if he's so obsessed with getting rid of corruption in Poland, a functioning justice system would be kinda important to him.

Is he a Duda Assassination Attempt truther? Because I'm kinda enamored with the fact this is a thing that exists.

(for non-Pole goons: president's car caught a flat tire two days ago. It is Serious Business.)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Is he a Duda Assassination Attempt truther? Because I'm kinda enamored with the fact this is a thing that exists.

(for non-Pole goons: president's car caught a flat tire two days ago. It is Serious Business.)

Sadly I haven't gotten a chance to find out yet :(. I know my mom is hardcore Russia assassinated Lech Kaczynski truther, and she really loves Duda so unless he's making rounds outright saying "no seriously, it was just a faulty tire, these things happen" (which I strongly doubt he is), she's probably onboard that train.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lichtenstein posted:

Probably the same hitmen that got the contract on Nigel Farage's head.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

http://gur.mil.gov.ua/content/situation-in-ato-area-and-around-syria.html

quote:

The situation in the area of ATO as of March 6, 2016

The situation in the area of ​​ATU characterized by intense enemy fire performance for units of our troops. Overnight carried out 52 attacks with small arms, grenade launchers, anti-tank systems, 122-mm self-propelled guns "Carnation" and 120/82-mm mortars, of which five - Boguslavsky, Novozvanivka (Severodonetsk direction); 21 - Luhansk, Lozovoe Zaitsev, Mayorsk, Novgorod, Trinity (Slavonic direction); 22 - Avdiyivka (shelling of prohibited weapons Minsk agreements - 122-mm self-propelled guns "Carnation" and 120-mm mortars), mine Butovka, questionnaire, sand, Marinka (Donetsk area); four - Starohnativka, Shyrokyne (Mariupol direction).

Ukrainian side provided information the Special monitoring mission of the OSCE presence of tanks and 122-mm MLRS "Grad" near Greenhouse.

Continuing with the transfer of the territory of arms and military equipment, ammunition and fuel and lubricants for the needs 1 and AC 2. Reported arrival of trains to the following destinations:

Khartsyzsk - three T-72 tanks, BMP-five, two 152-mm self-propelled artillery, six 122-mm howitzer D-30, 120 tons of fuel and lubricants, and two cars with uniforms. Echelon accompanied Armed Forces Major Dmitriev Sergey Viktorovich (Dmitriev Sergey Viktorovich, udostoverenye military officer VS the Russian Federation AA №0410408), who holds the position of "chief Sluzhbы voynskyh transit tыla Division of Control 1 AC (Donetsk, Ukraine) terrytoryalnыh Center Yuzhny military troops vicinity VS the Russian Federation" ;

Ilovaysk - two self-propelled artillery, tanks two 23-mm anti-aircraft installation at the MT-LB, 160 tons of diesel fuel and three wagons of ammunition. Echelon accompanied Armed Forces Major Pastarnak Denis V. (Pastarnak Denis V., passport citizen of the Russian Federation 0703 416 325), who holds the position of "starsheho military officer Sluzhbы voynskyh transit tыla Division of Control 1 AC (Donetsk, Ukraine) terrytoryalnыh Center Yuzhny military troops vicinity VS the Russian Federation " .

Confirmed ordinary loss of Russian occupation troops in the temporarily occupied territories of Donbass. March 4th year morgue of the Donetsk Regional Clinical Hospital (Donetsk) in the Russian Federation exported 15 bodies of dead soldiers of the Armed Forces.

Due to the reluctance to take part in the fighting, continue to cases of desertion personnel formations and units 1 AC Armed Forces. March 5 this year Two servicemen 5 separate motorized rifle brigade (Donetsk) willfully left the place of service and service weapon and went to Russia.

Defence Intelligence of Ukraine continues to purposefully collect facts on the participation of staff officers of the Armed Forces of war crimes in the temporarily occupied areas of Donbas for onward transmission to the law of the International Criminal Court.

Information and images of these officers is in the report.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
An interesting article on Putin's poll numbers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...=pm_world_pop_b

quote:

Just over two years ago, as Russia headed toward the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Putin’s poll numbers were slumping. Only 61 percent of Russians approved of his job performance — high by Western standards, but the lowest for Putin since shortly after he took office. After Putin annexed Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula, then stoked tensions with the West to their worst since the Cold War, Russians took their minds off their struggling economy and positioned themselves resolutely behind their leader.

It is a development that has flummoxed Western nations and frustrated Russia’s motley band of oppositionists. Some of them say that Russians are too scared to speak their minds to pollsters. Others claim that the poll numbers are manipulated, although most Western polling firms arrive at similar figures.

The pollsters say that the Kremlin is keenly interested in the results they turn up every week — and that it quickly reacts when it sees problems that could pose a threat to Putin’s ratings. Even as pocketbook problems have mounted, Putin has launched popular military campaigns in Ukraine and now in Syria.

“Putin is attentive, yes. Fifteen years he’s been in power, but he’s still interested in our data,” said Valery Fedorov, the head of the state-owned Russian Public Opinion Research Center. The organization’s bustling offices suggest that even with the country’s economy in a tailspin, business is booming for those who monitor public opinion on behalf of the Kremlin.

Most of the people Kostyrya interviewed drew a sharp line between their support for Putin and their feelings about Russia’s direction, which has taken a sharply negative turn as economic pain accumulates. That is reflected in the polls, which show that support for Putin has barely dropped, even though only 45 percent of Russians believe their country is on the right track, down from 64 percent in June, according to figures from the Levada Center, an independent polling firm.

Analysts said that after the Crimean annexation, Putin became untouchable to a large slice of the population.

“People interpret him as a permanent component of their construction of the world,” said Alexander Oslon, the head of the Public Opinion Foundation, another of Russia’s leading pollsters. “They don’t look at him as a political leader who comes and goes.” But he said that if economic troubles last long enough, even Putin’s rating might be vulnerable.

In a nation in which the Kremlin controls the airwaves, opinions can also be easily swayed, because few contrary opinions can be found in the mainstream. In September, weeks before Putin announced Russia’s surprise entrance into the conflict, few Russians saw the Islamic State as a direct threat. Within weeks — and after constant coverage on TV — the number shot up to a solid majority.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's really hosed up and disturbing.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Well if only the good czar knew about their plight, he would fix it, but the bourgeoisie won't even let the glorious ruler know of those things. :(

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The tzar is good, it's the boyars that are bad and steal

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death to Putin's approval rating.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Somaen posted:

Pretty much, Putin is loved, the guys working for him are hated because they keep failing Putin and Russia.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Somaen posted:

please ignore the implication that the tsar must be incompetent, stupid or complicit to keep hiring bad thieving boyars

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

blowfish posted:

please ignore the implication that the tsar must be incompetent, stupid or complicit to keep hiring bad thieving boyars

He puts trust in their good patriotic intentions but they turn out to be traitorous agents of the US StateDept

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

DrProsek posted:

I have sources but they're in Polish and if your family is rabid PiS fanatics they will reject them because they come from the traitorous "German" media. There's not a concise summary of changes implemented by PiS that I know of and your people would probably think most of those are positive changes if they have that ideological bent.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DrProsek posted:

It's worth pointing out that they only give you money for your first child if you earn less than PLN 800 per month, per person within your family (1200 if your child is disabled). This is a massive "gently caress you" towards single parents. You also lose the right to the money if your son and daughter has children themselves.

The people who could use the additional money the most, won't get poo poo. It's Catholic families with lots of children that are supposed to benefit from this program.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

I have sources but they're in Polish and if your family is rabid PiS fanatics they will reject them because they come from the traitorous "German" media. There's not a concise summary of changes implemented by PiS that I know of and your people would probably think most of those are positive changes if they have that ideological bent.

Yeah, true, probably a wasted effort :(. He's not quite as rabid as my mom is, and will agree stuff like PiS's foreign policy is somewhere between idiotic and suicidal, and social conservativism is stupid, but he has definitely mentioned the "German" media thing (wherein all news sources criticizing PiS are owned by Germans and spread anti-PiS propaganda) and has praised stuffing the Supreme Court with more judges (because judges appointed under PO were a poison pill to undermine PiS's efforts to root out corruption, you see).

I don't know whether to stop following Polish news because it's just all bad, or keep following it so my only source of information on Poland doesn't become my parents who um aren't a reliable source.

E:

Gantolandon posted:

It's worth pointing out that they only give you money for your first child if you earn less than PLN 800 per month, per person within your family (1200 if your child is disabled). This is a massive "gently caress you" towards single parents. You also lose the right to the money if your son and daughter has children themselves.

The people who could use the additional money the most, won't get poo poo. It's Catholic families with lots of children that are supposed to benefit from this program.

Ah, grand :tipshat:. I kept seeing it referred to as a flat benefit for having kids, good to know it's more like a benefit for giant families (with a stay at home mom most likely) than helping out struggling poor single parents.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 7, 2016

3peat
May 6, 2010

"Through the present (document) it is attested that comrade Stefanescu Eusebiu is an actor of the State Theater of Ploiesti.
The aforementioned is cast in the play "the Windmill" by Ion Luca, and the character he's interpreting requires for him to have long hair.
Thus the present (document) was issued to serve as justification when confronted by law enforcement."

It wasn't allowed for men to have long hair in communist Romania

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

3peat posted:

"Through the present (document) it is attested that comrade Stefanescu Eusebiu is an actor of the State Theater of Ploiesti.
The aforementioned is cast in the play "the Windmill" by Ion Luca, and the character he's interpreting requires for him to have long hair.
Thus the present (document) was issued to serve as justification when confronted by law enforcement."

It wasn't allowed for men to have long hair in communist Romania

...Well, did it work?

Or do we have this document because it was part of his arrest file? :v:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Well, did it work?

Or do we have this document because it was part of his arrest file? :v:
They prolly shot him, those gung-ho Romanians!

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Supposedly Ukrainian units are getting some kind of new home made AT equipment: http://www.diamantova-ledi.top/?p=1742

Anyone know anything the effectiveness of these?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Supposedly Ukrainian units are getting some kind of new home made AT equipment: http://www.diamantova-ledi.top/?p=1742

Anyone know anything the effectiveness of these?

They sort of resemble Konkurs or Kornet ATGMs to my dumb eyes. I'd read that Ukroboronprom was trying to develop new AT Missiles as well as a load of other prjects, but with no information beyond a few model numbers. It's worth noting that Ukraine provided a lot of high technology to Russia, like certain types of radar and laser guidance proponents, and the conflict meant that Russia is unable to receive a lot of it (though I doubt it has any measurable effect).

It's strange suddenly getting information challenging the norm with these conflicts. For years, Russia bragged that Abrams cannot hurt T-90 xaxaxa)))) and it seemed legit, but there are videos in Syria of TOW-2s cutting right through T-90 Shtora and ERA for kill hits.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Plan Z posted:

They sort of resemble Konkurs or Kornet ATGMs to my dumb eyes. I'd read that Ukroboronprom was trying to develop new AT Missiles as well as a load of other prjects, but with no information beyond a few model numbers. It's worth noting that Ukraine provided a lot of high technology to Russia, like certain types of radar and laser guidance proponents, and the conflict meant that Russia is unable to receive a lot of it (though I doubt it has any measurable effect).

It's strange suddenly getting information challenging the norm with these conflicts. For years, Russia bragged that Abrams cannot hurt T-90 xaxaxa)))) and it seemed legit, but there are videos in Syria of TOW-2s cutting right through T-90 Shtora and ERA for kill hits.

It never actually seemed legit. The actual armor spaces have remained more or less the same since it was the T-72B. The T-72BU, later re-branded as T-90, was a modernization program to incorporate similar technology to that on what was currently the top-end Soviet tank, the T-80U, into the cheaper T-72 while a the T-80 would be replaced with a new generation top-of-the-line tank (it didn't because the T-80 was a victim of politics after being use incompetently in Chechnya). The biggest addition to protection was to stick Kontact-5 on it to improve kinetic protection rather than just shaped charge protection. Shtora has no impact whatsoever on tank munitions aside from laser guided missiles (see: Russian tanks) and Arena never entered service on the T-90.

So the T-90 is essentially an economy model of the T-80U. Now consider that the UK purchased legit modernized T-80Us through a shell corporation in the early 90s, complete with Kontact-5, ammo, etc. They then proceeded to test the hell out of them while passing a few to the US and other NATO countries to do the same. Some apparently did get used in live fire testing, after which the UK, Germany, and the US released a new generation of 120mm kinetic penetrators slightly longer than the previous generation....and that's it.

Essentially the US had a tank with nearly identical protection and the same level of sophistication as the T-90 to use as target practice and weapon R&D 15 years ago, and released new generations of ammunition around the time the T-90 entered service.

The T-90 was marketed heavily for export from the beginning, though, which is where the TANK STRONK stuff came from.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 7, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fair points. I guess I meant it "legit" in terms of "it could compete in some capacity."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Plan Z posted:

Do you mean that video where a TOW hits a T-90, and the a member of the crew comes out ? It didn't look like a kill and it certainly didn't penetrate.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 8, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Fair points. I guess I meant it "legit" in terms of "it could compete in some capacity."

The exact stats on any given tank don't matter that much any more. It's not like these are Panthers and Shermans duking it out in the hedgerows of Normandy. Kontakt 5 and Shtora are primarily there to save the crew and secondarily to make the tank recoverable. On a battlefield with AT artillery and 3rd generation ATGMs glued to everything and scout drones loitering overhead, sticking around in a tank that has been hit once but not obviously knocked out is not a great idea.

US doctrine has revolved around the idea that "if you can see it you can kill it" and vice versa for 20 years now, and there's nothing to suggest that this is a mistake. The difference between a Challenger 2, an Abrams or a T-90 are pretty marginal in that context. That's why NATO tank design tends to focus on fire control and the latest packages include laser warning sensors that automatically pop off the smoke mortars. The idea is that the first shot of the engagement is probably going to be the last shot, no matter how fancy your armor. Again, this means that the exact capabilities of tanks are not that important in the field.

So in a sense the T-90 is about as good as any other modern tank, but you can bet that the US will clown on any country buying export T-90s because of their huge advantage in precision fire support and battlefield networking.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Do you mean that video where a TOW hits a T-90, and the a member of the crew comes out ? It didn't look like a kill and it certainly didn't penetrate.

That's one of them, but it didn't look like a kill. Trying to find the other ones, but they were posted by a guy who got banned from the miltalk forum I go to.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ardennes posted:

He could mean the first one that outright exploded after a rear hit. But yeah, if he means the one that got smacked in the turret face it probably survived the hit.

Also notable that ATGMs like TOW using shaped charges tend to be protected from differently than from kinetic penetrators you'd see tanks lobbing at eachother.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Warbadger posted:

He could mean the first one that outright exploded after a rear hit. But yeah, if he means the one that got smacked in the turret face it probably survived the hit.

Also notable that ATGMs like TOW using shaped charges tend to be protected from differently than from kinetic penetrators you'd see tanks lobbing at eachother.

Also read most atgm in Syria aren't latest generation and thus can't actually get a kill on t90 (though I suppose a rear hit is always different)

Kiejzar
Mar 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The idea is that the first shot of the engagement is probably going to be the last shot, no matter how fancy your armor.

That is quite wrong from what I know. Few years ago during war games in Poland an Abrams tank put five slugs info front turret armor of decomissioned Polish PT-91 (lovely t72 knockoff inferior in every way to T90 and T72B3) and none penetrated. Distance was 1300 metres, and modern DU penetrators were suposedly used. And that ignores additional factors like moving targets, active defences and so on. In the second Chechen war Russians had tanks returning to base after 8 ATGM hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian MoD put out a statement about Bellingcat, this was the best response

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/status/706907562071855106