Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Is there anything the court could do to compel the PM to publish the verdict? I guess there's the nuclear option of saying "publish it or don't, we're going forward with the assumption this verdict is binding".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Is there anything the court could do to compel the PM to publish the verdict? I guess there's the nuclear option of saying "publish it or don't, we're going forward with the assumption this verdict is binding".
Usually it's just a technicality. Keep in mind that PIS has already refused to publish once and relented eventually. For now the Chairman of the Court hasn't detailed any particular plan of action, everyone is waiting to see if it's a serious stonewall or just theatrics.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Today in Ingushetiya, near the border with Chechnya, a group of journalists and human rights activists (including Swedish and Norwegian citizens) were forced out of the bus they were taking and beaten, and then the bus was set on fire. Following that, the NGO office was attacked by a group of masked attackers with firearms.

Stability!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Pizdec posted:

Fun fact: The leader of PIS is a doctor of law. :shepface:

Well, obviously. The constitution has been voted in in 1997 and no-one messed with it to such a degree since. I doubt it was for a lack of will, it takes time and talent to spot out where exactly you can push to force a mess like this with a pretence of being right.

special tactics
Oct 13, 2015
PHOTO: Everyday Life of Hot Russian Military Women

http://mil.today/2016/Personnel3/

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
So how long until Poland folds and Russia steps in as a peacekeeper. (as was the plan all along) :tinfoil:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Pizdec posted:

Indeed they did, the magnificent bastards.

(The context is that the PM is trying to stonewall the verdict by refusing to publish it, which is required to make it binding. So Razem decided to symbolically accelerate the process. :allears: )

(And they even managed to get shown in the media for it, bonus!)

Let's see how long this attention is going to remain. Plenty of people cheering for Razem yesterday are now absolutely livid, because they dared to ask PO and .Nowoczesna politicians not to come.

Edit: In other news, one of PiS politicians expressed concern that the picture from the projector could damage the facade of the building.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pretty sure Nowoczesna will steal the spotlight on this once they swarm the place with own banners and - most probably - bigger numbers.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Pretty sure Nowoczesna will steal the spotlight on this once they swarm the place with own banners and - most probably - bigger numbers.

It's less about the spotlight, more that they are embodiment of corrupted fat cats that PiS claims to fight. Their presence is absolutely poisonous for any movement that tried to oppose Kaczynski.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh, I understand Razem's intentions on this, I was talking about this becoming a Nowoczesna/KOD thing in public perception, whether they like it or not.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I can't wait for the civil war, I shall spill the Petruccino, Deus Vult

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Well, we've had our independence longer than the last time. Fingers crossed for ending in Czech or Swedish partition, and not Russian one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

Well, we've had our independence longer than the last time. Fingers crossed for ending in Czech or Swedish partition, and not Russian one.
I'd love to see the Czech rep, with its army of roughly six functioning Soviet-era tanks, lay a claim to Poland.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The plot thickens. The leader of KOD felt offended that Razem organized a pro-democracy demonstration without him and ordered his people to remove their tent from the event. Meanwhile our favorite Janusz Korwin - Mikke, usually not a proponent of democracy, accused the government of ignoring the constitution and called on the army to seize power. I don't know if I should laugh or be terrified.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The plot thickens. The leader of KOD felt offended that Razem organized a pro-democracy demonstration without him

Doubly so funny when you take into account Razem's openly distanced themselves from KOD since literally months ago.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Apparently the dude thinks he just runs any protest by default. Razem officially stated that unaffiliated people, trade unions, and yes, KOD are all invited to join, while politicians from the liberal parties are disinvited and unwelcome. His response? "So hey KOD let's join Razem's demonstration, all the liberal politicians are coming because I invited them in my official capacity as Leader Of Everybody Who Isn't PiS, cheers".

I foresee a lot of booing and chaos the very near future. The :poland: spirit is alive, I guess.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

More :poland: news: former member of Europarliament Maciej Giertychis promoting a book that claims theory of evolution is false and T-Rex has lived beside Homo Sapiens, up until the Deluge...

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

alex314 posted:

More :poland: news: former member of Europarliament Maciej Giertychis promoting a book that claims theory of evolution is false and T-Rex has lived beside Homo Sapiens, up until the Deluge...

I'm pretty sure he was making those claims when he was still an active politician and his son was PiS's insane nationalist coalition partner. Of course that was before the latter turned out to have always been a moderate liberal defender of democracy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

alex314 posted:

Not gonna lie, T-Rex fighting knights is a great hook for an alt-history fiction series. I can understand wanting that to be real.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

DrProsek posted:

Not gonna lie, T-Rex fighting knights is a great hook for an alt-history fiction series. I can understand wanting that to be real.

It's a shame the Konrad Stargard guy is dead but maybe someone else will take the mantle. Maybe even one of the lolbertarian polish sci fi writers.

:poland: :poland: :poland: best $30 I've ever spent supporting this dead gay forum

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pierogi posted:

:poland: :poland: :poland: best $30 I've ever spent supporting this dead gay forum

Looks sort of like a dripping penis.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Murgos posted:

Looks sort of like a dripping penis.

You've never seen a penis have you?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Goddamnit Poland, stop being the Alabama of Europe

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Polska, you got
the PiS on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Polski Fiat
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mozi posted:

Polska, you got
the PiS on your shoulders
That's breaking your back.
Your Polski Fiat
has got a wheel in the ditch
And a wheel on the track

amazing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

Goddamnit Poland, stop being the Alabama of Europe

this rzeczpospolita is WAY more organized and together than I gave it credit for

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alex314 posted:

I totally believe that the perfidious Swedes extinguished the dinosaurs out of spite. :v:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Apparently heart attacks cause blunt force trauma to the entire body.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/10/mikhail-lesin-blunt-force-trauma-death-washington-dc-vladimir-putin?CMP=edit_2221

quote:

The mystery surrounding the death of Vladimir Putin’s former press minister in a Washington hotel deepened on Thursday when an autopsy revealed blunt force injuries to his head.

Mikhail Lesin’s body was found in November in a room at the Dupont Circle Hotel, in an upmarket neighbourhood that contains foreign embassies and policy thinktanks. Russia’s RT television quoted family members at the time as saying he had died of a heart attack after long-term illnesses.

But on Thursday the DC medical examiner’s office said Lesin, 59, had blunt force injuries to the head, neck, torso, arms and legs. The manner of death remained “undetermined”, the office’s statement said, and the incident is still under police investigation.

After news of the medical examiner’s report broke, Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for Russia’s foreign ministry, wrote on Facebook that the Russian embassy in Washington had asked several times to be informed about the inquiry into the circumstances of Lesin’s death but had been told nothing.

“We are waiting for Washington to give us the relevant information and official data about the investigation,” Zakharova wrote.

“If the information published today in the media is true, the Russian authorities will send their American counterparts a request for international legal assistance.”

Known as a tough and ambitious political operator, Lesin broke the stranglehold of the oligarchs on Russian media and ushered in the era in which the Kremlin controlled all major television stations. In 2013, he became the head of Gazprom Media, one of Russia’s largest media holdings.

He was press minister between 1999 and 2004, and is credited with the idea of setting up Russia Today, the English-language Kremlin-funded channel which has grown over the past decade to become a major international station.

He quit Gazprom Media unexpectedly in 2015, and for some time rumours of illness swirled. After his death, Margarita Simonyan, editor-in-chief of Russia Today, wrote that Lesin lost 30kg (66lb) after breaking his spine in 2012, and was known as a heavy smoker and drinker.

“It’s been a long time since I was scared by the word propaganda,” Lesin said in 2007, according to Russia Today’s website. “We need to promote Russia internationally. Otherwise, we’d just look like roaring bears on the prowl.”

Last year the Mississippi senator Robin Wicker called for Lesin to be investigated on suspicion of money laundering and corruption. He allegedly amassed millions of dollars in assets in Europe and the US while working for the Russian government, including $28m in Los Angeles real estate.

Wicker wrote: “That a Russian public servant could have amassed the considerable funds required to acquire and maintain these assets in Europe and the United States raises serious questions.”

Lesin left a wife and two children, including a daughter who is a bureau chief with Russia Today.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSl0VAn76M

:poland:-only so far, I'm afraid.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Birch can't break steel beams.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

But what about an armored birch?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not really into Pokemon.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Die Hard 2 is already the perfect Smolensk movie.

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

OddObserver posted:

Today in Ingushetiya, near the border with Chechnya, a group of journalists and human rights activists (including Swedish and Norwegian citizens) were forced out of the bus they were taking and beaten, and then the bus was set on fire. Following that, the NGO office was attacked by a group of masked attackers with firearms.

Stability!

I know the wife of one of the attacked Norwegian journalists and she posted some news articles today & yesterday, it's really big in Norway.
http://www.nrk.no/urix/windstad_-na-skal-det-bli-godt-a-komme-hjem-til-norge-1.12847835
http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/5250-norwegian-journalist-attacked-in-russia
http://www.euronews.com/2016/03/10/journalist-group-comes-under-attack-en-route-to-chechnya/
https://www.nytid.no/oystein-windstads-wife-supports-him/

some info from her

quote:

On March 9.2016, journalist Øystein Windstad (Norwegian) and journalist Maria Persson Löfgren (Swedish) went on a reportage trip to the Northen Caucasus and were attacked at the border of Chechnya and Ingushetia uopn invitation by a human rights organization. They were attacked by masked men affiliated with the Dictator Ramzan Kadyrov. Their Bus was burned down and they suffered serious injuries. They were dragged out and beaten up severely in which they had to be rushed fast to the hospital. Right now they are at the hospital getting stitches. At the moment, we are in contact with the journalists and they need to evacuate them both immediately. They received threats to leave and we are trying to get them out. Please share to help them get out safely. ‪#‎justiceforwindstad‬

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

blowfish posted:

Political reality and allied intervention aside, Poland could totally beat Germany in a fair fight right now. It's ridiculous how geographically-central EU members apart from France have completely atrophied militaries beyond the point of reasonable post-cold war drawdowns.

:911: will save them or nukes will fly and it won't matter.

This is how European states (except Britain, but Corbyn might change this) think.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This is how European states (except Britain, but Corbyn might change this) think.

The EU as a whole is still the second biggest military spender in the world, and almost four times bigger than Russia by budget. We'll be fine, thanks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Friendly Humour posted:

The EU as a whole is still the second biggest military spender in the world, and almost four times bigger than Russia by budget. We'll be fine, thanks.

And if the EU was a single state like the U.S. or Russia that would matter.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And if the EU was a single state like the U.S. or Russia that would matter.

Neither the US, nor Russia is a state, they are both federations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

You can excempt Germany from that, too. The feeling I got from people around me thinking about our relationship to the US was either certain doom because the US won't help (they're greedy assholes, after all), or that we have to do the fighting alone, maybe with the help of the French or something.

Either that or people don't want to think about war at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Friendly Humour posted:

Neither the US, nor Russia is a state, they are both federations.

You don't know what the poo poo you are even saying here.