Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Not surprising. Just pretty hilarious.
While I agree that "gently caress Putin and everybody that is part of his elite club" the Russian populace have really no better option. Kinda lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Yeah EU doesn't equal US no way no how militarily.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Brown Moses posted:

So after the Russian MoD attacked Bellingcat the Russian MFA joined in, so we made a little video

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/708667409687834624
Lol nice I love that a forum like this gets some front row seats to effective trolling of a major international actor-country that is crazy obsessed about image control. It's like we get to see major world powers act like a catty 14 year old girl.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Holocaust420 posted:

Amazing. Despite the deaths of thousands of Ukrainians, near-total economic collapse, and mass impoverishment of the population, Poroshenko's fortune has increased by 100 million USD in the past year!

What an incredible businessman. Now those are what I call some European values.

http://tass.ru/en/world/866423

Original article on Forbes (in Ukrainian):

http://forbes.net.ua/ua/news/1413803-forbes-prezentuvav-novij-rejting-najbagatshih-lyudej-ukrayini
So does Russia pay-for-post program pay you in dollars or roubles?

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

OddObserver posted:

Of course, they do have money for the defense budget increases....

United States Republican Party perspective right here.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's not redbaiting warhawk mode... still no direct military aid to Ukraine and no substantive boots on the ground in Syria/Iraq... preferring to act as a support role to Kurds.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

actually, what would Russia look like if Putin had a heart attack tomorrow? He hasn't exactly tolerated any strong figures which could credibly take over...

I'm sure the powers that be would have a new Putin in place shortly afterwards.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.
I think the downside of this is so many people violate minor laws regularly it could definitely get out of hand.

I'm sure I commit at least $1,000 US of cumulative traffic violations each week, and probably most people do too. Imagine an rear end in a top hat following me making sure I get hit with every one.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
That's great... they better step it up before Trump takes over, and works us out of any Russian sanctions.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

They voted almost unanimously in favor of joining Russia in a referendum right before forces moved in, so I don't know why this 'violated international borders and sovereignty' thing was such a big deal when a province wanted to leave the Ukraine to join Russia. I don't get it.
I'd be skeptical of this supposed unanimous vote.

I think Euromaiden was a popular uprising to get out of Russia's influence. I don't think Crimea residents would have a different opinion. But both sides' media are slanted and you never know what the truth is.

That said Ukrainian people as a whole are pretty cynical and downtrodden since their government is always corrupt as poo poo. At the end of the day it should be what would be better for the Ukrainian people. That sort of gets lost in this Russia vs the West tug of war. On one hand being a Russian satellite country tends to be lovely and countries that escaped it became better i.e. Poland and sure as poo poo don't want to return. On the other hand, it's not like the current Western leaning government is ridding itself of corruption at a rapid pace. It just switched oligarchs in charge.

But we can keep jerking off talking about whose better while the actual people continue to suffer.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Cat Mattress posted:

Poland's current government is a huge embarrassment and it barely counts as being better than soviet domination because the EU is still constraining what PiS can get away with.
Yeah, the current government is poo poo, but it is still better off than Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
People could be just as easily persuaded back, they just ignore bc they don't see the risks of singing that tune and they welcome the additional votes it gets their side.

The Republican establishment did reel Trump in on the major geopolitical issues already.