Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Destroying cheese is a crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dwesa posted:

Any Russian news about Ukraine-Russia conflict were absurd from the start. Also, there are news about dollar/USA collapsing and Russia releasing currency covered by gold standard (also, Putin is a genius or something) every 60 days or so, Russia is releasing absurd 'news' for years now. I wonder why they bother, to most russophiles, it's simply enough if Russia denies everything.

Also

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ocrumsprug posted:

My favourite part of that is how Canada gets Kansas, but not Alaska.

Listen, this was created by a russian PROFESSOR who is an expert at america, I think he knows what he's doing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love RT because it lets me instantly prune anyone off social media if they share enough RT links. It's fantastic for both detecting right wing idiots with a strong-man fetish and conspiracy theory addled leftists who think anything in opposition to the US must be good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rinkles posted:

The whole thing sounds poorly thought out.

Yeah, it's pretty rididuclous for anyone to expect the police to do their loving jobs with an ounce of professionalism and not turning into vindictive criminals them selves the moment they're annoyed

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also if the police are actually on-board and the whole plan is organized it sounds like a great idea. I'd spend all day snitching on assholes running red lights or parking in handicap spots. Of course the downside would be people obsessively taking picture of that neighbour they hate and using it as a form of harassment. Would be nice if there was an easy way to filter out the useful public safety and assholes needing a fine situations from the vindictive petty bullshit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Forums Terrorist posted:

seriously though how do your police not like easy money

Handing out minor fines probably has a way lower return on time investment than collecting big ticket bribes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do none of Trum's hyper nationalist supporters care that he's bought and paid for by Russia? Then again they probably look at Putin's Russia with jealousy and wish american could have a strong leader like that.
Didn't the right wing of the US coast along on anti-russian paranoia for a good 50 years, and now they're ok with a potential president with extremely deep and potentially controlling connections with Russia?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was Russia breaking any airspace rules or was that all "international skies" or what ever? If so, oh well. But man I'd love to see any Russian plane shot the gently caress down the moment they illegally enter someone's airspace, so long as all legally required warnings are given.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine if memes and social media existed during the cold war. Imagine the soviets having a counter-meme department. Imagine the KGB and CIA trying to gather intel on enemy meme designs in order to create counter-measures before they hit reddit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That seems to be the new thing I hear people who don't normally follow Russia/Eastern european news suddenly freaking out that nuclear war is coming soon and oh my god hillary is an anti-russian hawk we're going to totally launch the nukes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

\
This would have been a great logo for the evil mirror universe starfleet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horses self-spook them selves to death every chance they get. One of the worst animals. Their reaction to anything scary, real or imagined, is to flip out and break all their legs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Enjoy the US pulling out of NATO and europe being too chickenshit and cowardly to actually fund any sort of european military and putin bullying or outright invading a big ol' sphere for him self.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My relatives in Ukraine are all really happy about Trump because "Clinton wanted to start WWIII" "Clinton wanted war with russia" "Clinton wants to re-start the cold war"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They just made a jew their official head of state, makes you think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend is in army and is going over to Ukraine to try to teach them to army better. Good luck dude!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can we seriously just give hungary and poland a choice between being in soviet union 2.0 or being a western democracy? Like, these are your two options, either stop sliding towards a putin-style dictatorship or we'll toss you in with your own kind?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cat Mattress posted:

We should strike a deal with Putin. Give Crimea back to Ukraine and get your thugs out of Donbass, and in exchange we give you Poland and Hungary.

It's actually just a bluff to get those countries to smarten the gently caress up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Romanians hate Iran more than Hungary, that's insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

Still clinging to the fantasy of somehow being a Latin people :cheeky:

Is there a historical reason for the relatively high dislike of Ukrainians that I don't know about? Are they just seen as Russians lite?

Romania hates any country it touches because of sacred clay being taken some time in the last 2,000 years. Hungary and Romania specially hate each other because there's a lot of bad clay between them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My mid-80's grandpa needs a serious operation. Being a former senior general and diplomat he used to have a lot of pull and would have had this done at the Kiev military hospital where the best doctors (and a lot of his friends) tend to be. Unfortunately for him all the admin and senior officials at the hospital have been replaced by ones more loyal to the current government and with politically correct opinions, and there's a real "gently caress anyone with a soviet past" line now. It's all "sorry all our beds are earmarked for real soldiers wounded fighting the russian rebels" It's been made clear in a few cases over the last months he no longer has any pull with the government or military and is in fact on some sort of bad-russian list. Not even his months leading some of the first teams at Chernobyl or decades of fighting for support and care for veterans means anything now. He's sunken into quite a depression and feels like his entire life and career have been wiped away and rendered meaningless by the current government and political climate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Discendo Vox posted:

Just so I'm clear on this, your starting point for it is deserving preferential medical treatment due to past government and military connections? And you want access to the military medical hospital's resources, during the current military state of the country? Doesn't the bed earmarking situation seem perfectly reasonable?

It's entirely political though because the beds are open for other people with more current connections. The hospital is supposed to be for all veterans, especially since his health is related to his service in Chernobyl. He spent the last decades fighting for veterans access to health care and support, working very closely with both active soldiers and very old vets. He was so effective at this they basically didn't let him retire and kept him working into his 80's when he should have retired long long ago due to his health. Now they're telling him to piss off because his connections aren't the right ones anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He had the crazy idea that his 40 odd years of service as a veteran and 20 to other veterans would let him have access to a veteran's hospital, yes.
And the hospital he's currently at outright told him they could try to operation but he really needs to go to the veteran's hospital since they're much more experienced with treating his conditions. They were shocked they denied him and grossed out at the politics of it all.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of it is part of the demonization of russian speakers and anyone with a soviet history being pushed in current politics, it was one of the last straws that actually got him to fully retire. For decades he fought for all veterans, from WWII vets to Chernobyl victims, to teens who got mangled in training. A vet was a vet and they were all deserving of care and treatment. This was his entire passion in his late life. Before the change in government he managed to get the last veterans affairs minister fired for being very bad at his job and most likely being corrupt as poo poo, funneling needed money away from vets. From his early life in the military he had absolutely no time for corruption, politics, or unfairness. In fact he hosed over his early career by exposing a corrupt senior officer who offered him a big promotion to take a bribe, but he was incorruptible and was sent off to Siberia and demoted as punishment. He kept at it, rooting out corruption, eliminating hazing, gambling, substance abuse and improving morale by actually treating people with respect. Did such a good job with his career-death-sentence that they eventually had to promote him, and eventually his enemies within the military went too far and were kicked out (or worse) for their rampant corruption. Quickly became a General, and then was made a military diplomat liaising between civilian governments and the soviet military of various pact countries (where he was much sought after for his reputation for fairness and disinterest in political machinations). After formally retiring he worked for the veterans organization and did so into his 80's. Once again his goal was a total a-political crusade for the fair and equal treatment of veterans, rooting out corruption, favourtism, and discrimination. He used all his connections he had built up over his career for this purpose alone, never using them to live "high on the hog." He lived like any typical veteran on a pension in a little run down apartment because he never gathered up a fortune via corruption and kickbacks like so many of his station and detested people who used their position for personal gain.

In the last few years though he's seen a two tier system emerge for veterans. Veterans with a soviet or russian history are treated as 2nd class, as not "real" veterans because they served with the enemy, the evil russian oppressors. The government likes to say it's prioritizing current wounded war heroes, and obviously people wounded in active combat get priority, this isn't something anyone disagrees with. The problem is that Anton, the son of some current well connected official who spent a year in the military as an accountant, gets priority over any "soviet veteran". This was exactly the sort of favouritism and discrimination my grandpa fought against and why I find it extremely sad that he's become a victim of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know how much longer he has, seems extremely depressed and checked out, given up.

Rest of the family isn't doing so well either, or any of my friends or contacts in Ukraine really. The economy is poo poo, prices keep going up, and the current government is just as lovely and corrupt as any previously. For the average person, things just keep getting worse. Most people I know have gone from slightly optimistic and nationalistic to hopeless and jaded. The low level fighting seems to never end yet despite the propaganda about all the brave nationalists fighting an existential threat to the country, Kiev is carrying on like usual, seemingly sending only the minimum east. The new government is far more concerned with lining their own pockets while they can than any genuine nationalism or care for what happens in the east. And if anyone tries to call them out on it they're just shouted down as some putin-aligned troll. You're either with our rampant corruption and robbery of the country, or you're with Putin and the rebels and a traitor, no other choices.

Don't like the russian invasion but think the current government are crooks and need to be tossed out? Not an option.
Think of yourself a Ukrainian citizen with no love for Russia, but don't think all russian speakers should be treated as 2nd class citizens or expelled? Also not an option.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Libluini posted:

And after the Russian annexation, they'll be second class citizens because they're Ukrainian. Kind of depressing. No way out for them, except by the Russian bombs soon dropping on them. :smith:

No way russians will treat all pan-slavs and republics equally. Look at how well they've kept their promises to not horribly oppress the Tatars in crimea! As well as how pensions and quality of life have gone up so much for russians in Crimea as the aid comes flowing over the new bridge, as promised.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

From the very beginning I've been against this idea that Ukraine needs to do some impossible ridiculous purge of all russian language and culture and influence. Even before the change in government, just when politics were really dumb and all about linguistic divides distracting from corruption, I've always said if Ukraine is to have any hope for the future they need to create a Ukrainian identity that is multi-cultural and linguistic. An identity based on some democratic political ideology and freedoms rather than "gently caress russians". Instead of making this a fight against dictatorship and the corrupt status quo that's been loving their country for generations, they've made it yet another linguistic side-show, it's a fight against Russians both foreign and domestic. The invaders and rebels are not bad because because they're a brutal foreign kleptocratic dictatorship, they're bad because they're russian. Kleptocrats are fine so long as they're Ukrainian. In the end it doesn't matter for the average citizen, the whole fight is over what language the people robbing them will speak rather than over the issue of constantly being robbed. If the west gave a poo poo they could have steered the new government in a better direction, they sort of tried with some carrots and sticks, but the west doesn't give a poo poo about this conflict anymore and europe is far too worried about muslims to try to help any nation-building in some post-soviet hell hole.

Which is such a shame because the movement, the whole fight to remove the last government started not because of language politics or nato agents, but a genuine grassroots movement to break the status quo of horrific corruption. That energy was entirely co-opted by politicians into blind ethnic/linguistic nationalism as a smoke screen to let them rob and abuse the country exactly as before. Russia of course knew this would happen, they wanted Russian-speakers demonized. They spread propaganda about how the new FASCIST JUNTA was going to oppress all russian speakers before the new government even had a chance to do anything, and then new government was all too happy to oblige all russian propaganda. Poor hopeless citizens in the east are of course happy to fight against the kiev junta, because like Maidan they've been sold some false hope their fight will some how improve their lives since the status quo is so awful. But of course no matter what side "wins", the citizens all lose. And even if Ukraine some how "wins", the conflict has created so much hate within the country I don't see an optimistic way forward. If russia was to vanish off the face of the earth right now, Ukraine would still be hosed for a long time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem is the west did the opposite of what russian propaganda said. They didn't meddle, the barely got involved at all. Both out of disinterest and a genuine attempt to placate russia. Russia of course plays by no rules and are great at propaganda. Russia was full out invading Ukraine with its army while shouting that the west launched a coup and installed a FASCIST JUNTA and nato needs to stop attacking and antagonizing poor victim Russia. Putin knew the west doesn't give a poo poo about Ukraine, and if they actually did much to help it would play into his propaganda about western encirclement.

And the west actually did try to put a price tag on money. My friend is a laywer in Ukraine doing economic law poo poo, and he was really optimistic about this. A huge loan would be given, but with strings attached. Problem was most of the strings were less "be less corrupt and tackle poverty" and more "be more neo-liberal" and even then Ukraine would ignore or break a lot of these agreements.

Also there's a particular breed of libertarian that thrives in eastern europe, it can only germinate in post-soviet failures. For instance my lawyer friend really believed that if they simply reduce government powers and ability to meddle in the economy and had a true free market, corruption would vanish. Corruption and monopolies are products of statism you see, once there's true economic freedom all other freedoms will follow. These folk have generally grown up at the tail end of the soviet union and then under horrible corrupt croney-capitalist or kleptocrats. They idolize the US and western europe and see the free market as the only thing they lack. A couple friends in Ukraine, a bunch from Poland, former Yugoslavia, all the exact same attitude. Oh they also loving love the idea of a flat tax, that's always a common thing as well.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd expect the opposite. Democrats enraged at russia/putin and his rating going way down, while republicans turning a blind eye to his influence and ignoring the whole thing. Instead it seems democrats are slightly more down on putin while republicans swoon over the shirtless slayer of liberalism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Severe beatings, stitching them up, being utterly corrupt bribe machines, yes. Shooting at everything that moves out of a crippling fear for their safety due to horrible training and institutional culture, no.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The concrete in that bridge has been hacked!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watch a youtube channel about transit and trams and it seems at least poland is building some nice stations and expanding tram infrastructure. About the only hopeless bits of news I get in my life is a dude's channel on cycling infrastructure in NL and tram news in Poland/Central europe. I can retreat to a happy world of growing bike lanes and trams systems.

Also my grandpa died so my wife is rushing off to Kiev to try to catch the funeral. It's going to be some big state/military deal so it's out of the family's hands which means a bunch of them won't be able to make it because 2 days is way too short notice for people to fly around the world. His hip surgery went well, they said he had a 80% chance of death and the family had to sign a bunch of waivers. Then he made it, beat the odds, became much less depressed and had a whole new lease on life. After some weeks of rehab he was being dropped off at home to continue his rehab at home, and died in the ambulance in the driveway of his own apartment building :(

That's my eastern european news :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not sure, just have like 3rd hand info translated through family.
My wife missed the big official military funeral by 30 min, but at least she got to go to the wake. I have no idea about media coverage, might get a mention in the papers or something I don't know.

In eastern european political chat, I notice I've been getting upset at "leftist" friends who are very pro-russia. Not exactly pro-russia, but seems to have this sense that being worried about russia, disliking putin, and thinking the west needs to continue sanctions and actually do things to defend against russian invasions and meddling is some how "stoking a new cold war". There's this whole meme that "clinton wanted war with russia" that even the left has bought into. That giving a poo poo about Ukraine means you're some war-monger and we should just let Russia have eastern europe because anything less would be "antagonizing russia" or "distracting from the real issues at home". Like what the gently caress, I can't be upset about domestic issues and russian invasions at the same time?? Also how is treating all the people of eastern europe as having no right to self determination and having no agency some how "progressive" ? It's like they associate being anti-russia today with being anti-russia like 30 years ago being so closely linked to the right, so clearly being pro-russia today is left?? I don't even know. And these aren't RT reading idiots, they have no love for Putin or Russia but just keep pushing this narrative that doing anything other than disarming NATO and giving Russia their empire back is immoral western imperialism and pointless antagonism towards poor little russia.

I never quite know how to deal with people like that or sentiments like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-picks-mattis-pompeo-aim-russia-170112174751684.html
So Trump is stocking his cabinet with vocal opponents of Russia. It's almost like you can't actually trust anything trump says and we don't really know what the hell his actual policies on subjects are (if he even knows)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Clinton was owned by Ukraine, I'm so glad america dodged that bullet. When will anyone stand up against Ukrainian global meddling and imperialism?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And tons of western leftists 100% believe Russia's side. "Why is the US destabilizing eastern europe?? Why is the US antagonizing Russia???" it's the weirdest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's poland's opinion on Tropico? I hope they have good relations.