Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brown Moses posted:

I thought I was MSM, guess it depends on the argument you're trying to make.

You're an untrained amateur that parrots the MSM talking points on behalf of the CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poland has been doing some really cool tram and other transit projects recently but that's about the only good thing I can say about that country's recent trajectory. Catholic Russia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poland needs to legalize corruption like Russia is and just get it over with.

Poland is Catholic Russia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Palace of Culture and Science is one of the only good things in Poland other than a load of trams.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Green parties generally aren't actually about protecting the environment from a scientific perspective but more from an aesthetic one.

A typical green party will vote against increased urban density because that might make less room for green space in the city or make the environment "feel" more man-made, even if this results in the city having to clearcut a bunch of forests to build more sprawl. They'll protest both of course, but not see the connection.

A typical green party will protest an offshore windfarm that happens to be in view of a lot of their rich members, they'll mention sea life impacted by construction but it's entirely about protecting their views and property values.

A typical green party will be rabidly anti-nuke and be instrumental to blocking or early-decommissioning existing plants, even if that leads to a bunch of new coal fire plants. Again they won't see the connection here and will protest both.

A typical green party will be deeply concerned about climate change, because if sea levels go up it might make their waterfront homes lose some value or force them to re-build their docks.

A typical green party will vote against increased transit in an area (an area again where many of their rich members lives oddly) because buses use diesel and until buses are 100% electric they are against bus expansion, this will lead to more people driving and again they see no fault or in the outcome here.

A typical green party will absolutely be against some new light rail line that will take thousands of cars off the road because the construction of the project will involve the loss of precious green space (from the median of a road) and the removal of 12 entire trees over it's 15km length. Oh yes we're also against polluting dangerous cars but electric cars will solve that problem so please no ugly transit.

Green parties can be very different around the world, but the ones I've interacted with have mostly been rich boomer-aged folks who might have been moderately hippie/progress back in the day and now wrap their NIMBYism and concern for their property values in environmental language. Sprinkle in some crazy anti-vax anti-gmo anti-wifi types and some 20-somethings who naively believe "All politicians are the same... except the greens!" and you got your self a local green party. They'll drive their tesla to whole foods to buy imported organic produce on their way to protest the new affordable housing project near them because the foundations of the affordable housing buildings might harm local trees and what ever will that do to our local songbird population, we need to protect local species!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So there's a new early access game on steam that allows you to build your very own Soviet Republic.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

It's very early-access but I've been enjoying it so far. Has a lovely soundtrack of grand soviet marches and sweet soviet synth.

It has an interesting community of 75% folks larping that they're soviet leaders and 25% making it very clear that although hey are playing this game they are NOT a communist and capitalism will win.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every single time I've ever seen a politician, specially in eastern europe, elected on some sort of "anti-corruption" mandate it turns out they're as corrupt as everyone else and are simply using an anti-graft crusade to witch-hunt only their opponents.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the gently caress are people all over the world electing people with zero political experience? I know people hate politicians but if I have bad experiences with a doctor, I go see ANOTHER DOCTOR, not a college dropout with "ideas".

That's a very good question! Personally, I think the answer is the absolute disarming of any sort of organized leftist alternative anywhere in the world. Capitalism is failing, many countries are reaching a boiling point where the people are fed up with corruption and are voting for anyone who will "shake up the elites". An actual outsider coming to power would be an unthinkable threat to the status quo, so the status quo creates and markets these "common sense centrist outsiders who are going to fight corruption" candidates to ensure no actual grass-roots candidates has any chance, specially none from the left. Capital's interests are preserved, some low hanging fruit on the tree of corruption are ceremoniously picked while nothing institutional changes, and for a moment people feel things have changed, that the old status quo regime has been punished in some way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grape posted:

Wait how do you even use a term like "indigenous" in countries where there are no colonial settler populations. How does that work.
Isn't everyone indigenous?

Hard to think of any countries where this isn't the case to some extent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

szary posted:

Woman arrested in Poland over posters of Virgin Mary with rainbow halo

Thank you Polish police for getting this dangerous criminal off the streets, I feel safer already

Again, Poland desperately wanting to become Russia. Duda and Putin just kiss already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's that anime word for the behavior where someone is deeply in love or obsessed with someone but pretends to hate them and will always talk poo poo about them? That's Poland's relationship with Russia.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I met an old friend of my grandpa's, another very old Hungarian man. He told us his general life story, about how I stayed in Hungary after the soviets came and they ruined his family and stripped them of everything because they were religious. He tried to seminary school to become a priest but the communists shut it down. Then he went to some other school for priests that hadn't been shut down but at the last moment decided the life of a priest wasn't for him because he wanted a family. Eventually he immigrated to Canada to get away from those repressive communists and what they did to his poor innocent religious family.

That's his version.

From other hungarian immigrants of the era though it's a very different story. They say he was a bigwig in the Hungarian communist party and had a powerful well connected family. He him self was part of the Hungarian KGB or what ever, which is why, unlike all of them who had to escape the country, he was able to come and go and visit when ever he wanted. He was always going back home to visit family without any fuss. The local hungarian community didn't trust him and generally feared him and thought he was in canada to keep an eye on the Hungarian diaspora with consequences for their families back home if he didn't like what he saw.

Kinda hosed up how different those stories are.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know she's apparently of legal age but I'm getting serious child soldier vibes from this poor girl. At least she has a lot of stickers on her gun?? She looks like... 14. Some local "instagrammer" got called up and now she's paroling trenches in full combat gear.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fPMgxoA

I can't read any of it but apparently her twitter is quite surreal. https://twitter.com/ohiAnnablya

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 2, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah yeah the Caspian report dude did a video on the water situation recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqq8clIceys

I love how russia is crying that this is technically illegal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The EU on every single possible problem or issue: Sleep
The EU when a member state wants to be slightly less neoliberal: REAL poo poo.

The whole thing only exists for one reason, and keeping its citizens from being kidnapped by hostile neighbouring dictatorships isn't one of them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Joe biden wake up. Joe biden wake up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Catholicism is based around making sure women remain machines pumping out children for them to abuse and murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Little green gas men