Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's really important to remember that these aren't new demands though (well, it's new that they're being explicitly made). They represent the Russian view of the correct state of the world since the end of the Cold War, these are not demands that have been made up just to be rejected as a prelude to a war, Russia genuinely wants a settlement in Europe that looks like this.

e: this is not to say that Russia thinks there is a chance in hell of the demands being accepted, only that within Russian international security circles they represent conventional thought

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Somaen posted:

What the gently caress is this, seriously. We demand NATO stops sending its semi-literate posting forces

"You are a child that sees the world on black and white and thinks in concepts of goodies and baddies! Clearly the truth is that all the time that people are insanely pissed at the government that they overthrow it are schemes by CIA that are bad and weak"

I mean supporting independent media and pro-democracy organisations is inherently destabilising for an authoritarian system or managed democracy, but that's not actually the same thing as flooding a country with propaganda or organising riots or any of the other things Russia has been caught doing. These things are only 'destabilising' because these regimes are inherently unstable and lack popular support.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uno.mannschaft posted:

Ok but even if they start a war, which they might, doesn't mean they want to. I think they want NATO out of eastern europe and if they can't have that, going inte Ukraine is better than having NATO going into Ukraine.

That's just sophistry. Obviously nobody wants a war for the sake of having a war, but not being able to get your policy objectives peacefully and deciding to have a war instead is considered by by everyone to be 'wanting a war'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'War is just a tool of geopolitics like any other' is a hell of a take.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Could be a miscommunication in the Russian army. Or sometimes armies look bigger on TV due to the lighting an stuff. I don't think we should rule out anything yet.

Is the Russian army on our border very big or just very close?

Oh poo poo it's both.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, wider concerns; Putin knows that Russia is on the clock demographically (big decline in working population coming up), economically (if you are a petrostate then you need to be spending the next 30 years pouring every penny you can into restructuring your economy or you are going to have a really bad time come 2050), and personally - he's personally close to being out of time to get the things he wants done. All a bit dangerous.

e: and yeah, if you look at the broader picture all of Putin's wars have been bad for Russia - they only became 'necessary' because of disastrous failures of foreign policy, and they've each served to add sanctions and further solidify opposition to Russia across Europe.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lollontee posted:

this seems like a weird way to put it, but isnt it kinda good that modern germans do not follow their history by repeating the same mistakes? ukraine absolutely should not get more weapons to pursue escalation of the conflict with the breakaway republics

This is a curious position given your view on China/Taiwan.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One can understand that Russia feels threatened by the US without acknowledging that the nature of that feeling (ie. 'I'm no longer able to bully my smaller neighbours with impunity') is legitimate, or that Russia's methods of pushing back on the US are legitimate (democratic countries willingly signing up to a US-led alliance is not the same thing as Russia invading multiple neighbours and setting up frozen conflicts and client states).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You should let Lavrov know he's negotiating under the delusion that he's threatening to invade Ukraine, he's going to be so embarrased!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean cinci is right, this is fundamentally a choice about quality of debate. D&D can either be a place where every thread is mired in debunking low-effort disinformation hopefully for the benefit of lurkers, or it can be a place to discuss and learn about what is actually going on. But it can't be both. Oh and everyone hates doing the former. Nobody has been happy with the last few pages apart the very gleeful troll.

E: ^^ basically it's a 'final offer, no chance of misinterpretation in the room'

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think that's a key point. If you are in the US state department and you are drawing up your wishlist of things you might actually get out of all this, a Finland and Sweden that are actively contemplating NATO membership is probably up there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

What, I don't think that's true. You can use your hardware but the systems are recommended to be NATO compatible (i.e. like radios, signals, etc.).

Because there's no way that Germany was going to buy the Abrams. And a lot of NATO countries have their own tanks, trucks, aircraft, etc.

Yeah your stuff just needs to meet the standards in the relevant STANAG. Practially you end up buying stuff that has some US equity, because it's almost impossible to procure a piece of modern military equipment that hasn't had components sub-contracted out to companies across NATO.

And frankly if you want the best and you can afford the logistical cost that comes with it, piggybacking off the R&D spend that the US does is often the smartest move in the game.

e: Russia was a NATO partner for peace and there were even air and naval exercises in the years running up to 2014. The hand was outstretched.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

All you're doing here is creating a situation where any poster that falls foul of the majority is declared 'low effort' and removed. You suggested no definition of what is low-effort and i'm not sure how you would unless you are suggesting going back to the bad old days where people broke apart posts by sentence and everyone had to post referrals like a wiki article.

As opposed to the bad current days where we spend 4 pages getting trolled until it turns out that the poster in question is using Russian government funded neo-nazi propaganda as their source.

Posters should (this is still in the rules) be actually bringing something interesting to the table.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

No worries, I'm just sensitive to the feedback during the last day or so with several EE posters clearly communicating they shouldn't be talked about as pawns in some armchair Tom Clancy chat and expressing how tense the situation is. "There were a hundred posts overnight and I don't know if that means hot war with Russia and my friends and family might be in danger, or someone is being dumb in the thread."

Non-EE goons are of course welcome to post here, but please keep the last day or so of feedback posts in mind and recognize you're posting with folks who may be deeply, personally affected by the current situation.

If people want to do Clanceychat then the CW/Airpower thread in TFR has knowledgeable people talking shop.

e: if people want some starter reading on Germany then you need to start with Ostpolitik. There's a German tradition that says that rappoachament and normalisation of relations was the key to ending the Cold War - not entirely wrong and this was probably a key element of preventing the Cold War going hot, but it tends to airbrush out how important credible military deterrence was, or that modern Russia is not the USSR and this is not the same kind of geopolitical conflict that can be addressed in the same way.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 23, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The USA, a country well known for having a policy of mercantilist prioritisation of exports over imports.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More... interesting ideas emerging from Germany: https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/open-letter-it-s-time-to-invite-russia-to-join-nato-a-682287.html

Check out this one neat trick to solve all of your security issues, Atlanticists hate it!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

This is actually worse than the "We'll solve the Ukraine/Russia crises by offering them solar panels and windmill tech"

What if we just, like, ask Putin to democratise and stop invading his neighbours? Has anyone tried that?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the problem with the 'it's a bluff' position is that Putin's demands have been so maximalist that nothing he can possibly be offered will make this brinksmanship look like a win for him. Compare and contrast with the Cuban Missile Crisis where the US's starting demands were exactly what they wanted 'remove the nukes from Cuba', and the concession that was made in the end was a reasonable one of reciprocal withdrawal that made everyone feel like a winner (well, aside from the 'we almost nuked each other, that was bad' feeling and the fact that Khrushchev wasn't able to get credit from the widthdrawal of missiles from Turkey so it looked like he'd lost).

If this is all a bluff, what's the realistic endgame that Putin is actually looking for? One the one hand he's threatening Ukraine with invasion, on the other all his demands have been about NATO dismantling itself. I don't know at all what happens with Ukraine, but I suspect that regardless of what happens there NATO is going to emerge from this with a new sense of resolve and purpose and possibly a couple of new members.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sinteres posted:

You're allowed to just post without being weird about me, but just to quickly respond, I don't think there's a secret message, I just think final offers often aren't, and that maximalist demands can sometimes be walked back if a compromise position is on the table.

Okay then, make your pitch for what you think NATO could plausibly offer that Putin would consider a win.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

j3rkstore posted:

If this ends up being a feint, it has to be a riotously expensive one, right?

Oh yeah, there's the immediate cost of this massive mobilisation, there's the damage done to Russia's economy from tanking the Rouble, then there's the foreign relations costs of having given the anti-Russia faction in NATO a massive shot in the arm and kicking Finland and Sweden into a conversation about joining.

All that just to get an agreement that kinda-but-not-really legally formalises the status quo is not great.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Germany now offering voluntary evacuation to all non-essential embassy workers and their families in Ukraine. Embassy is gonna keep working for now though.

UK FCDO and US state department also now doing social media saying IF YOU ARE A NATIONAL GFTO NOW or register with the Embassy so we know that you've diseappeared in a warzone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Calling in the fuckin Cubans for a reference doesn't strike me as a sign of strength.

Yeah this is the bit where Russia's hamfisted international messaging accidentally emphasises that they don't really have any friends in the world.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The list of leaders on this call is... interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f085a8aa7ae039f

quote:

More on the Ukraine situation: Joe Biden will hold a video call this afternoon with European leaders about the possible Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The call will be with:

Boris Johnson, prime minister of the United Kingdom
Emmanuel Macron, president of France
Olaf Scholz, chancellor of Germany
Andrzej Duda, president of Poland
Mario Draghi, president of Italy
Ursala von der Leyen, president of the European Commission
Charles Michel, president of the European Council
Jens Stoltenberg, secretary general of Nato

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reminder that for all the nuance of Turkey's position, it is a country that no-poo poo shot down a Russian fighter in 2015 for crossing the airspace line for a few seconds and convened a NATO Article 4 conference over it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1485597218719645699

Eastern Europe: Russia is a peaceful country surrounded by ceasefires

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I think people are overestimating how much resistance there would be in a post-war Ukraine because they're applying a jihadist concept to Europe. Doesn't pretty much every country in eastern Europe have a lot of young people looking to leave for better jobs elsewhere as it is? That kind of suggests to me that nationalism isn't the top priority on everyone's mind, though obviously war has and would radicalize some. Assuming Russia would allow disaffected youths to leave, and that nations sympathetic to Ukraine wouldn't suddenly cut off all migration from the country, why stay and die for Ukraine when you can get a job somewhere else that pays better than what you made before the war? That's not a realistic avenue for everyone, but I do think it's a critical escape valve.

This uh 'muslims are more attracted to violence than christian Europeans' take you have there might be one you want to take away and rethink for a bit.

e: also you may or may not have noticed that conflict in the Middle East is a pretty significant cause of refugee/migration flows.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's also not like a majority of Afghans joined the Taliban. Or the Vietcong. Or whatever. Insurgencies just need a sufficient pool to recruit from.

e; KOSOVO

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regardless of our origins, I think we would all appreciate it if posters did the minimum bar of 'check wikipedia' before posting takes like 'the russian and ukranian orthodox churches don't appear to be in conflict or anything as far as I know'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey there's actually a pretty famous example of a foreign imperial power attempting to conspire with Mexico to attack the USA, right after the US had actually launched a punitive military expedition into Mexico and what actually happened was the US ended up just giving Mexico a guarantee that its sovereignty would be respected.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

If Ukraine itself is saying there’s no invasion on the way whys everyone acting like the Russians are crossing the fulda gap

I suspect there's an element of Western MFAs still reeling a bit from the experience of Afghanistan last year and having a policy of getting non-essentials out earlier rather than later.

e: also Danilov said that there's no indication of an invasion in the next 24 hours, which is not quite the same thing as what you are suggesting he said

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 25, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Ah ok sorry I didn’t realize he said 24 hours, but overall the Ukrainians seem to be castigating the west for panic mongering and withdrawing embassy staff

It looks like the Ukrainian position is 'right now Russia is trying to destabilise us by holding a gun to our heads but not quite being ready to pull the trigger, you pulling people out of the country is unhelpful because it might create a panic which would be destabilising'.

24 hours sounds like a worst case 'Russia goes for a lightning war with what it has now' warning period, most people I'm following on twitter seem to think we'll get 1-2 weeks of very obvious personnel movements and distribution of ordinance etc if Putin gives the go order.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pretty decent UK Parliamentary Defence committee hearing going on right now: https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/64d86212-ba5f-40cc-bf31-fe7f2a350844

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is an extremely good article if you want a single source explanation of how we got here, what's going on, and what might happen: What a Week of Talks Between Russia and the West Revealed

I really rate Dimitri Trenin, there's aren't many commentators around who have taught at military academies on both sides.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

why the gently caress is the lede of this news story in the second last paragraph.

there's like two paragraphs of actual content. what kind of piece is this

And the actual content is 'A couple of House Democrats are mad that a foreign politician had to make a really mild indirect rebuke to their President when he made a gaffe and that has made life a little more difficult for them'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not sure the official NATO response was mentioned here :https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/opinions_191254.htm

quote:

So today, NATO has conveyed our written proposals to Russia.
We have done so in parallel with the United States.
Let me outline the three main areas where we see room for progress.
First, NATO-Russia relations.
Russia has cut diplomatic ties with NATO, which makes our dialogue more difficult.
So we should re-establish our respective offices in Moscow and in Brussels.
We should also make full use of our existing military-to-military channels of communications, to promote transparency and reduce risks, and look also into setting up a civilian hotline for emergency use.
Second, European security, including the situation in and around Ukraine.
We are prepared to listen to Russia’s concerns, and engage in a real conversation on how to uphold and strengthen the fundamental principles of European security that we have all signed up to, starting with the Helsinki Final Act.
This includes the right of each nation to choose its own security arrangements.
Russia should refrain from coercive force posturing, aggressive rhetoric, and malign activities directed against Allies and other nations.
Russia should also withdraw its forces from Ukraine, Georgia, and Moldova, where they are deployed without these countries’ consent, and all parties should engage constructively in efforts to settle conflicts, including in the Normandy format.
Third, risk reduction, transparency, and arms control.
History has shown that engagement on these issues can provide real security for everyone.
So we need practical measures that will make a real difference.
As a first step, we are proposing mutual briefings on exercises and nuclear policies in the NATO-Russia Council.
We should also modernise the Vienna Document on military transparency, and work to reduce space and cyber threats.
We should consult on ways to prevent incidents in the air and at sea, and recommit to full compliance with international commitments on chemical and biological weapons.
Finally, we need to have a serious conversation on arms control.
Including nuclear weapons and ground-based intermediate and shorter range missiles.

A pretty firm 'okay if you want to talk about forces deployed in Eastern Europe, here's our starting point'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fundamentally, Russia's conception of it's own security requirements are that it requires other countries to dismantle their own security guarantees.

There just isn't really anything to discuss there. Russia believes it is special. That's obviously not true. The only real ability that Russia has to exert influence beyond its borders is through the threat of force, and that ability disappears once its neighbours join NATO.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Only a person with no conscience at all would invade Ukraine!"
*winks at camera*

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The last time they did a move like this they invaded Georgia.

Nah the last time they did a move like this they invaded Ukraine.

The military threat to Ukraine and the negotiating demands to NATO are so asymetric that it's just incredibly difficult to see through it all. If the negotiations are real then threatening Ukraine is actually a pretty bad way to get NATO to agree to anything. If the intent towards Ukraine is real then it comes at a cost of hardening NATO resolve significantly.

And if this is all 5d chess playing by Putin to get water rights access for Crimea... well it's come at a bit of a cost.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think we should define 'rapid'. In Iraq 2 the US spearheads were advancing ~20km per day, and that was for large stretches of zero opposition. In Ukraine that still implies a campaign that takes several weeks, even if every advance doesn't have to deal with a few javelins being lobbed at it every time it passes a ridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it is also worth noting that all through the 90's and 00's Russia never stopped its campaign of Active Measures against its neighbours. Disinformation, subversion, the odd murder of a Russian ex-pat who had sufficiently annoyed the authorities. The fact that Russia's conventional military was not a substantial threat in this period does not mean that Russia was not an awful neighbour in this period, and membership of NATO gave countries access to a range of capabilties to help push back against this activity.