Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

oh god.

gently caress us! gently caress us for putting a literal child soldier on a pedestal for other children to admire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

You are right, it's not a poignant and tragic memorial to the victims of the genocide, which forced even children to suffer the horrors of war, it's a monument to the glory of child soldiery.

that is precisely what is - a memorial glorifying the sacrifice of the child soldiers of Warsaw Uprising. I can imagine a more fitting monument to the obvious suffering of children, yes, even those who weren't forced to bear arms.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I rest my case before we delve into tactilol territory of strategic value of child soldiers on the battlefield.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

There's something wrong with you if you think that statue glorifies child soldiers.

There's something wrong with me but at least I'm not alone, here's a little retrospective:
http://histmag.org/Maly-Powstaniec-duza-hanba-8501

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What are you doing in the EE thread if you don't care about our pointless slapfights and poignant slavsquats?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Here's some EE flava for y'all.
A truck driver in Poland stopped for the night at a service stop on a highway. A bit drunk already, he left his truck open and went to take a leak. Upon returning he discovered that the truck, with a major cash bundle in the cab and $0,5mln worth of merchandise in the trailer had been stolen! He instructed a service center employee to call the cops and went back to the toilet.

Wherein the police found him a bit later hanged by the neck.

What the police found next was that the truck, opened but untouched was parked on the other side of the road on a very similar parking.

The owner of the truck, when informed, had this to say: "there wasn't even that much cash or cargo as the driver had thought".

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Worth noting that on July 4th was the 70th anniversary of Kielce pogrom. 42 Jews killed because of rumors of a child used in committing blood libel. Yes, after WW2.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 12, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That''s a repost from the other page, but still quality.

I've been following Shirvan for some time and he churns out top work especially explaining geopolitics of the middle east and various proxy wars therein.

There's this on Russia too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_09mazZs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMv9EvthOrQ

Of course he's a CIA shill according to yt comments, so par for the course in our thread.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Guys, look at the public outrage that happened in 1968 when streets were filled with people protesting the forced "one way ticket to Israel" policy for the reminder of the Jews that were still in Poland.

Oh wait, nothing like that happened.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

"Polskie ziemniaki, one są dobre" actually.

To be sure it reads a bit like meme speak, though this applies to the English version as well, so maybe as intended.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

And that comes from the Italian, meaning "little truffle"! tartufoli -> Tartuffel -> Kartoffel -> cartof, картоф, kарҭофель, kartul, kartupel, etc.

poo poo, :regd08: this thread is now about names for the potato.

The English term "potato" comes from Spanish "patata" which was a portmanteau between two different words from two different languages meaning two different vegetables: "papa" is Quechua for potato, and "batata" is Taino for sweet potato. Papa + batata = patata -> patate, potato, etc.

The "earth apple" analogy is found in French (pomme de terre) and Flemish (aardappel) and in several German dialects that use Erdapfel instead of Kartoffel, but you can also find "earth pear" (or "ground pear") in other German dialects (Grundbirne) which gave krumpli, krumpir, krompira, krompirja and crumpenă in various Balkan languages. It's also found in the archaic Swedish Jordpäron. Other names derive from places they were introduced, so burgonya is derived from Burgundy while brambor or bandraburca are derived from Brandenburg.

Outside of Europe, it was originally known in Iran as "Malcolm's plum" (ālū-i malqalm) and in some Chinese dialects as "earth fava bean" (土豆 tǔdňu). So the potato is an apple, a truffle, a pear, a plum, and a fava bean all rolled into one!

:goonsay:

Okay well enough of this dumb tangent.

Sounds like a bunch of "germanic"* gobbledygook to me!
Everyone knows that Lechite language is the basis for all European languages since it is the root of proto indo european. Slavic power, glory to the Svetovid!

*so called Germans are disgraced Slavs

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

treerat posted:

I'm sorry for not making it more obvious but these potatoes to which I refer have been beautifully rectified, if that helps to distill my context.

Are you currently under the influence of judgement impairing chemical reactions brought forth by imbimbing products of said distilling?

E: if in the company of Poles the translation would go something like this: "Wódka z ziemniaków to nie prawdziwa wódka, Rosjanie wynaleźli wódkę i robią ją ze zbóż."

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I've watched Smolensk the movie! My review:

im permabanned poster commiestomper58. i first started reading the reports of parliamentary committee for the investigation of the tu-154m crash in smolensk when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "assassination of president kaczynski by the coward donald tusk" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "shots heard" and "the russians spread artificial fog to hide the fact that they blew up the airplane" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "assassination theory" style of the committee report was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" macierewicz to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Can't spell bribe without brie!

My friend is in Sejm right now, posting about the downfall of the last vestiges of a secular society. We're gonna have it like so: if abortions were illegal only criminals would have abortions.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

As a compromise they will let the contraceptive ban slide but we will get everything else put in place. All part of the game.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

There is no agreed upon version but I think "Члены вверх за Харамбе" sounds best phonetically

сгибаи хyи для харамби

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Kaczynski's poison laws will make heaven too loving crowded.

Joke theory: Kaczynski is making a gambit that the image of having to give birth to slithering bundles of teeth and hair filled cysts and then having to have them baptized and proper buried will put off even the most ardent religious extremists.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 13, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was thinking more of, you know, the snowglobe statues for Christmas, just Smolensk with ashes falling around.

A snowglobe filled with fog so dense that you can't see anything, not the plane, not the ground. A loud "PULL UP, TERRAIN AHEAD" calls from the base of the globe at regular intervals.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Don't fret, soon it's gonna be Lower St. Petersburgia

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, this seems kinda problematic. Jesus Christ is head of the Christian church, and thus the overlord of all Christians - including the heads of state of England, Denmark and Norway, and thus this is a direct attack on the sovereignty of those nations, demoting their rulers to mere dukes and duchesses under the sovereignty of the Polish king.

Believe it or not there is actually some concern about this among the catholics here. That's why it's not officially called "enthronement" - see, he's already king of all christians but just an "anniversary act of accepting Jesus as the king of Poland".

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Time for the Russians to leak evidence that the vote actually was rigged in Trump's favor, as some statisticians are apparently claiming there are indications of.

Good for nothing failed Nate Bronze did a quick take on that and said it's nonsense.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Fair point

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A Pale Horse posted:

MPs deserve it because they work very hard. :downs:
They work day and night

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ping pong ching chong wing wang wong!

It's really interesting that Dugin proposed strengthening nationalist strains in Polish catholicism to separate it from the softening stance of the Vatican. This is precisely what is going on and every pis voter plus half of the rest of us are really happy because of it.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Polish TV is woke as gently caress

https://twitter.com/yrizona_/status/815581888735772672

(screencap from new years "satirical" show)

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Hope there will be many (there's probably already a ton) documentaries on cursed soldiers on tv polonia. Belarusians love that particular Polish import.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

The Polish Ministry of Justice asserts that a neonazi organization using "White Pride" words didn't promote fascism, because they can be used by other movements. Such as the ones that oppose race mixing.
Business as usual.

quote:

Meanwhile the liberal opposition continues to be terrible. It turned out that the leader of the pro-democratic movement (who wasn't actually elected into his position) pretty much defrauded KOD members, buying IT services from his own company for a heavily inflated price. He could have asked his organization to pay him and they would probably agree, but he preferred to pretend he doesn't earn poo poo to avoid paying for child support. Right now plenty of members of his organization scream this is Kaczynski's plot to discredit the movement.
What a loving dumbass.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

jonnypeh posted:

Meanwhile in Estonia the (state-run) foundation to promote enterprise or whatever it's called, came up with a newly developed brand for Estonia.

What does this look like to you?

I don't know either.

The dark and light blue spots are Sareema and Hiiuma. The rest of the country is overrun with green men

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

Who are those "leftists who have a lot of nostalgia for the Soviet Union"? Those "older Cold War leftists"? In which countries they live, how old are they and can you show any kind of their media presence?

Edit: My point is there is no nostalgia for the Soviet Union outside of Russia, and those Russians who are nostalgic aren't leftists.

Oh boy, are you in for a treat
http://partia-zmiana.pl/ (sorry, no English version - an ideological decision probably)

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/PiotrWitwicki/status/820931424694005761

https://twitter.com/NorbertMaker/status/820973260145827841

Here you go, TVP is erasing "uncomfortable" things from broadcast. The heart is the symbol for a huge charity which is not liked by pis, because it's secular(???).

[img-iran-cloning-rocket-launches-in-photoshop]
[img-ussr-erasing-stalins-former-pals-from-photos]

This is Poland now.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In all honesty, his analysis of Poland makes me wonder if he's as off base about other countries too. Or we are indeed ruled by master diplomats who will arrange for Poland to go back to its XVI century glory days.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A new MON recruitment drive incoming?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

AndersTusk returning on a white horse. We can dream I guess, with the same effect probably.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lol if they kick him out, he takes it to the court and it's ruled that essentially he was right. A sorta reverse Irving vs the holocaust trial if you will.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I must secure tickets for the white cinema.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lechistan posted:

It's all descendants of Great Lechia anyway.

this

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oooof that's gotta be tough for any Russian speaking country.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

There's an online contest for naming Poland government's new planes.

My vote is Boeing 2137.

So the two big ones should be

"Nieee ktoś za to beknie!" (Nooo, someone will go down for this!) and "Zmieścisz się śmiało" (You can do it, come on)

and the three small ones:

"Po-my-sły!" (I-de-as!), "Kurwa mać!" and "O Jezu!"

All taken from the last minutes of the Smolensk flight recorder transcript.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2017

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

That's a shame, a lot of people died that day so that we might laugh today at the hubris of the few men who had caused it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.ikarus.hu/

Taken by the scheming Hungarians