Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A Pale Horse posted:

Lol as if Crimea, Russia or even human life will still exist in 2032. President Trump will see to that.

I am reasonably optimistic that President Trump wouldn't nuke the world because he's been concerned about nuclear proliferation and war since 1987 (long read).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

While we're on the subject of Czech's and religion, is their practice of turning Easter into a surreal public spanking festival observed anywhere outside of the former Czechoslovakia?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I think I've just gained a little insight as to how seemingly-ordinary dudes get mad and go join ISIS. Please banned guy do not go join ISIS.

Don't listen to this guy, embrace your destiny and become the Eastern European Caro.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

For more, check out nazi's with cats

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Which anthem is that?
Our national anthem, the Star-Spangled Banner.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

alex314 posted:

So, will the next ambassador to Russia be Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal or that dude from limp bizkit?
gently caress you. I hadn't really realized that Trump was going to be appointing people to ambassadorships and they're all going to be rubber-stamped by the Senate. What the gently caress kind of people is he going to appoint?

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 9, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I always thought that at least Poland and the Czech Republic belong to Central Europe together with us here in Germany (and Austria and Switzerland).

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah that Czech Republic bit was mostly to tease Czech posters a bit, I remember having somewhat fierce discussions on this some time ago. Central Euorpe is basically just Czech Republic. Maybe Slovenia too, but is slightly stretching it I think.
I was about to ask why you two keep calling it the Czech Republic but Czechia hasn't caught on there either..

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

This week in eastern european fightin' words: A group of academics put out a declaration that Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, and Montenegrin are the same language. For the uninitiated, nationalists in the former Yugoslavia (but especially Croatia) insist that their shared language is actually several different languages despite the enormous evidence to the contrary. Schoolchildren are divided up by language, people who speak the same language sometimes go through the kabuki ritual of pretending they need translators to understand each other, and TV shows from different countries will be subtitled as if everyone doesn't speak the same language. The article features this pack cigarettes which says "smoking kills" in three different "languages".

Don't be fooled by Serbian being in cyrillic, it's also the same thing. Crosswords can be done in mixed "Bosnian" and "Serbian" because there's a one-to-one correspondence between their alphabets.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 10, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

What the gently caress.
I swear I am not making this up. Wikipedia has a great side-by-side comparison of a section of the UN declaration of human rights in the various "languages". Maybe one word every two sentences is spelled differently with one major difference per paragraph, so Croatian vs Serbian is comparable to American vs British English if some Americans were willing to stab you over implying they speak British. The division between the languages is 100% a manufactured nationalist myth.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Pew just released a big survey on religion in central and Eastern Europe.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/05/10/religious-belief-and-national-belonging-in-central-and-eastern-europe/

The really unnerving bits are the non-religious questions.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

If it was just a fun-opt in sort of thing and no one was pressured or the photoshoot determined who would be hired or not, why not. Like "hey great, all you interns are in. PS to get people interested in nuclear power if we're going to have a silly bikini photoshoot inside the cooling tower with hardhats to show nuclear science can be sexy!" sure, it's still pretty ridiculous, but not horrible. But if they actually did pick based on this content, or anyone felt at all pressured into doing this or if it was pushed as part of the job requirements of the internship then everyone involved needs some pretty severe discipline or firings.
We're talking about the Czech Republic, a country where Easter is celebrated by men cutting switches and spending the day using it to whip the asses of attractive women who are expected to give the whippers presents.

quote:

In the Czech Republic and Slovakia, a tradition of spanking or whipping is carried out on Easter Monday. In the morning, men spank women with a special handmade whip called a pomlázka (in Czech) or korbáč (in Slovak), in eastern regions of former Czechoslovakia Moravia and Slovakia they also throw cold water on them. The pomlázka/korbáč consists of eight, twelve or even twenty-four withies (willow rods), is usually from half a metre to two meters long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking may be painful, but it's not intended to cause suffering. A legend says that women should be spanked with a whip in order to keep their health, beauty and fertility during the whole next year.[4]

An additional purpose can be for men to exhibit their attraction to women; unvisited women can even feel offended. Traditionally, the spanked woman gives a coloured egg (kraslice) prepared by themselves, invites to eat and drink as a sign of her thanks to the man. If the visitor is a small boy, he is usually provided with sweets, and a small amount of money.

In some regions, the women can get revenge in the afternoon or the following day when they can pour a bucket of cold water on any man. The habit slightly varies across Slovakia and the Czech Republic. A similar tradition existed in Poland (where it is called Dyngus Day), but it is now little more than an all-day water fight.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

The Czech Alcoholic-in-Chief now has a transparent bank account for campaign purposes, as in you can actually see the balance and all transactions. The account number is also published and you're free to donate to him if you want, so...

TBH he should be just glad it's not much, much worse than this.
0.03 czk is 0.001 dollars. Are you saying I could goatse the president of the Czech Republic for a nickel?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/10/difficult-material

quote:

Omer Hodzic, a comedian who once hosted a “Daily Show”-like programme called “Monty Dayton” (tipping his hat to both the Pythons and the 1995 Dayton Accords), insists that politics is always funny. He makes a point of performing his act in Bosnia’s Serb-majority areas, precisely to push himself and his audiences into uncomfortable territory. “You guys are Serbs, right?” he asks crowds in Republika Srpska. “Am I the only Omer you’ve ever met without killing? I have to thank you for my pension, by the way. I wouldn’t have gotten it if you hadn’t killed my father.”

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Well, yeah, but their votes went to Babiš and Lobotomio, same demographic, same ideals.
There's a Polish politician named Lobotomio? How often do people make lobotomy jokes about his supporters? Or does that not translate?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Dire Chinchilla posted:

I bet PiS is making GBS threads themselves at least a little. They tried to do it differently this time: the proposed bill "only" banned aborting deformed fetuses (they tried to pass it as defending the children with Down's Syndrome, but the bill would, of course, ban aborting fetuses with all kinds of illnesses and mutations, including such fun and lethal abnormalities as anencephaly), because they probably realized after the last time that there are plenty of people who are generally against abortion, but think forcing women who could die if they give birth and rape victims to have children is a step too far.
They're not exactly hiding their motivations

quote:

Their latest effort is a bill that supporters say is only about protecting unborn babies with disabilities.

Jaroslaw Kaczynski, the Law and Justice leader, has argued that it does not matter if a baby’s life is short, saying in 2016 that it was his goal to “strive to make cases of even very difficult pregnancies, when the child is doomed to die because it is severely deformed, finish with birth, so that the child can be baptized, buried, given a name.”
[...]
Mr. Januszewski, whose group drafted the proposed legislation, said that of 1,100 abortions performed in Poland in 2016, 1,042 were related to the health of the fetus.

“It’s 95 percent of all abortions, and that’s what we want to ban,” he said. “Almost 40 percent are the abortions of children suffering from Down syndrome. This illness is a genetic condition, but many of the people with it enjoy a normal life and are aware of this discrimination. We regularly receive thank-you cards from many of them.”
[...]
Meanwhile, a Health Ministry ad has been encouraging Poles to “breed like rabbits.”

“If you want to become a parent one day, look at the rabbits,” encourages the narrator, himself a bunny. “I know what I’m talking about, my father had 63 of us!”

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I just can't believe in a country that's such an agriculturally rich land like Ukraine, and has been famous for its honey production for centuries, they can't even get good honey. It's never been great, but they say in the last few years quality of everything has dropped. Even the small upper middle class can't get quality stuff locally, there's just no products to buy. The wealthy all go abroad and buy their non-garbage quality items to bring home.
That's really weird; honey bees require very little labor or capital to raise. I'd have expecteed local production to ramp up.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/lilyslynch/status/997514485526122499

I wonder how exactly this happened. Did the writer just have all of that wrongness sitting in their head, did they ask an idiot for help, or did they somehow extract that anti-knowledge from Google?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Dommolus Magnus posted:

I too think czechs deserve better traditions. Why not throw some austrians out of a window, instead?
Disagree, they already have the weirdest Easter tradition they don't need any more good ones.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Sekenr posted:

There is a hilarious video from MZKT meeting when he said that to have another election he has to be dead. And than someone in the crowd screams at the top of his lungs ПОШЕЛ НАХУЙ :D
https://twitter.com/HiveFleetHodag/status/1295343223221755912?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/prstskrzkrk/status/1350862789439594496