Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I think the following is only appropriate now:

Eastern Europe: suck my balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:bisonyes:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can see the outro notation: "at the time of release of this program no balls have been sucked".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have their been any updates on the status of the balls?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Balls status: still unsucked.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The Russian Foreign Spokesperson responded to Suck-My-Balls-Gate:

You cad, you.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/moscow-kiev-tug-war-religious-future-ukraine-57421026

Ukrainian church is preparing to declare independence from Russian church, which will be a major schism in orthodox Christianity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good, good...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How can an agency so smart be so stupid.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahahahahahahahahahabababa

Debils

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

So Graham Phillips turned up at our press event today, and thought it would be awesome to stand in front of dozens of journalists who had been waiting patiently for about an hour and start screaming at me about NATO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeI3GssR2r0

I'd forgotten about that guy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also it was amusing to have Bellingcat come up in a conference I attended last week during a talk on cyber security.

The speaker used the recent release of the poisoners as a "Look! *this* is what people can do with public information on the Internet!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HorrificExistence posted:

There is supposed to be a "major chemical provocation" today.

Mass borscht consumption with a stiff breeze

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Just like Americans who crave Mexican food while mistreating and deporting Latinos all the time, huh

Yeeeeeeah... No.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What about the Putin part then

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ardennes posted:

What do you think?

I asked what you think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I want to know why.

Curiosity.

I thought it would be an easy question

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 21, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The answer is easy, the reasoning for the question in the first place is more tricky.

What is the easy answer?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I assume the one that satisfies your intrigue the most.

That's not an answer, that's an evasion.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Oh is it? Why would I be evading?

Because you're afraid to answer truthfully. :angel:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You just need one man, a shovel and a lot of free time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can't imagine the Russians ever accidentally letting a ship sink in Poland's new ditch.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nenonen posted:

On first glance my brain was telling me I was looking at two budgies.

They're probably very relieved no one can tell who they are in those outfits

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Putin Says His Men Are Standing by Ready to Go into Belarus If Protests ‘Get Out of Hand’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putin-says-he-has-reserve-officers-ready-to-send-to-belarus

simpsons.gif

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bless their hearts

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"Let the wookie Russian win"

Bold strategy

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Siberian deathroll at 54.

that's very not good

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

They're also isolated, poor, and stuck under the rule of a cartoon tinpot dictator

Russia or Ukraine?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

nato must respect the sovereignty and will of the people in the countries that do not want to take action

So must Russia

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vasukhani posted:

No. The US leadership has things it considers vital security interests. The Russian leadership has things it considers vital security interests. For Russia, control over Ukraine is a vital security interest. For the US, it is not. Therefore, no matter what happens, the US will not be willing to go as far as the Russians for Ukraine. What the US is doing now is window dressing.

Whether Russia's vital interests reflect its geopolitical position or ideology is another question

Why is Russia entitled to control over another sovereign nation.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

catfry posted:

Served on a bed of grass, apparently

That’s the greens.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

lollontee posted:

i believe youre mistaking "something important gets people talking" for an invasion. how ironic, considering the ukraine

Ukraine

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

His style of webdesign and gneral vibe / aesthetic remind me of another great Catholic intellectual with Many OpinionsTM, JuDr. PhDr. Mgr. et Mgr. Henryk Lahola

http://henryklahola.nazory.cz

"Take me seriously!"

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

lollontee posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/22/russian-convoy-crosses-border-ukraine-without-permission
if you recall these aid convoys, they were in response to a blockade instituted on the luhansk and donetsk territories. people were being starved

i was actually writing a joke post with that on another tab, posted by mistake. anyway, you do want us go through the early luhansk and donetsk events? what do you remember of it?

Where were you going to post that as a joke?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want. Instead of simply posting this link: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

I would ask lollontee to explain, in their own words, what exactly their understanding of the roots of the conflict are and why that source is a good reference on the subject.

Everyone else please take a short break and allow lollontee to make thir argument.

edit: they can make any argument they want, as long as they can support it

lollontee posted:

sorry about making it so hot by my mere presence i guess!

We're waiting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grape posted:

I think what the EE people don't like is international posters coming in talking about their countries like expendable chess pieces for the advancement of their FP fantasy football teams.
Super especially the ones that rules lawyer the things where they get killed.

I'm not an EE poster but if I was I think this would sum up my feelings.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sinteres posted:

In practice it really does feel like a lot of you are just asking for people who disagree with you not to be allowed to post itt.

I think QPQ answers this:

QuoProQuid posted:

With all due respect, this would be a bad approach. What people have a problem with is not Americans (and others) contributing to the thread. The issue is low-information, drive-by posters who barge into the thread with a sneering disdain for the people who actually live through the region because ""america bad, russia good."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I feel like that's more words to basically say the same thing, in that people who disagree will be called low information posters or Russia shills who don't belong.

You can disagree, but you better be able to back it up without quoting bullshit.

also, maybe EE posters don't appreciate people outside the region saying they should be under another country's "sphere of influence". Maybe it's entirely reasonable to tell anyone suggesting as such to gently caress off.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 22, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

The German navy chief who spoke about Russia and Ukraine has been canned (or, rather, being forced to leave) lol: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutscher-marinechef-kay-achim-schoenbach-muss-gehen-a-454d5539-5d6a-4880-ba23-21ee7e363dc0

Not surprising but does suggest that Germany wants there to be no misunderstanding of its position.

what a way to sink your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Bernie Sanders thinks I'm a genius:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/08/we-must-do-everything-possible-avoid-enormously-destructive-war-ukraine

Not posting quite the whole thing here, but a lot of this should sound familiar:

We should be clear about who is most responsible for this looming crisis: Vladimir Putin. Having already seized parts of Ukraine in 2014, the Russian president now threatens to take over the entire country and destroy Ukrainian democracy. In my view, we must unequivocally support the sovereignty of Ukraine and make clear that the international community will impose severe consequences on Putin and his associates if he does not change course.

With that said, I am extremely concerned when I hear the familiar drumbeats in Washington, the bellicose rhetoric that gets amplified before every war, demanding that we must “show strength”, “get tough” and not engage in “appeasement”. A simplistic refusal to recognize the complex roots of the tensions in the region undermines the ability of negotiators to reach a peaceful resolution.

One of the precipitating factors of this crisis, at least from Russia’s perspective, is the prospect of an enhanced security relationship between Ukraine and the United States and western Europe, including what Russia sees as the threat of Ukraine joining the North Atlantic Treaty Alliance (Nato), a military alliance originally created in 1949 to confront the Soviet Union.

It is good to know some history. When Ukraine became independent after the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, Russian leaders made clear their concerns about the prospect of former Soviet states becoming part of Nato and positioning hostile military forces along Russia’s border. US leaders recognized these concerns as legitimate at the time. They are still legitimate concerns. Invasion by Russia is not an answer; neither is intransigence by Nato. It is also important to recognize that Finland, one of the most developed and democratic countries in the world, borders Russia and has chosen not to be a member of Nato.

Putin may be a liar and a demagogue, but it is hypocritical for the United States to insist that we do not accept the principle of “spheres of influence”. For the last 200 years our country has operated under the Monroe Doctrine, embracing the premise that as the dominant power in the western hemisphere, the United States has the right to intervene against any country that might threaten our alleged interests. Under this doctrine we have undermined and overthrown at least a dozen governments. In 1962 we came to the brink of nuclear war with the Soviet Union in response to the placement of Soviet missiles in Cuba, 90 miles from our shore, which the Kennedy administration saw as an unacceptable threat to our national security.

And the Monroe Doctrine is not ancient history. As recently as 2018, Donald Trump’s secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, called the Monroe Doctrine “as relevant today as it was the day it was written”. In 2019, Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, declared “the Monroe Doctrine is alive and well”.

To put it simply, even if Russia was not ruled by a corrupt authoritarian leader like Vladimir Putin, Russia, like the United States, would still have an interest in the security policies of its neighbors. Does anyone really believe that the United States would not have something to say if, for example, Mexico was to form a military alliance with a US adversary?

Countries should be free to make their own foreign policy choices, but making those choices wisely requires a serious consideration of the costs and benefits. The fact is that the US and Ukraine entering into a deeper security relationship is likely to have some very serious costs – for both countries.

I doubt the US would annex Chihuahua if Mexico got cozy with Russia.