Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
http://fusion.net/story/345480/venezuela-just-erected-a-saddam-hussein-knockoff-statue-for-hugo-chavez/

https://twitter.com/ElPoliTwico/status/773654785673297924
:fry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

Wednesday also was the premiere on Russian television of a reality program starring Mr. Kadyrov that appeared to be modeled on the show of an American favorite of Mr. Putin’s — Donald J. Trump.

The program, called “The Team,” emulates Mr. Trump’s “The Apprentice,” and features 16 contestants vying to become Mr. Kadyrov’s assistant.

Sounds more like The Sopranos to me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Should be most if not all Slavic languages that use Cyrillic. He's Tramps in Latvian too, and I imagine it's Trampas in Lithuanian.

Right, they write all names like they're pronounced, which sometimes makes it an interesting exercise to guess what is Maikl Dzekson or L'yuis Kerroll.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Uh, do some languages still do that for modern names, I thought transcribing foreign names to fit pronunciation died around the time of the American Revolution. I certainly don't ever remember reading about Jiří Vašingtonský or Tejlor Svift.

I think it happens mostly with Cyrillic writing - your options are to write foreign names in Latin or go the full transcription route. Eg. Jack Daniel is written Джек Дэниел, or Dzhek Deniel. Suppose you wrote it more straightforward Як Даниэл then Russians would pronounce the name "Yuck Doniel" or so unless they beforehand knew that it's an English name. OTOH if it's a trademark then it'll be usually written just Jack Daniel's with no transliteration which is strange.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

You gotta post them all, including the composite map

It seems like Norway got out of Albania...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 10, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

jonnypeh posted:

The previous government planned to increase alcohol excises every year. I guess that's one reason why they are previous : )

I'm pretty sure it won't go up any more now.

Though it's still cheaper than in Nordics, they will save even more money now by traveling to Latvian border.

getting cheap vodka just becomes too time consuming if we have to first take a ferry to Tallinn and then a bus to Latvia

this is the reason why we need the Helsinki-Tallinn bullet train tunnel

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Dictators are rarely happy if their populace has unregulated access to weapons. Or any access at all.

No one short of gun nuts, organized criminals and terrorists is happy about anybody being able to buy military weapons and explosives.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Swan Oat posted:

ive always wondered, why do so many former communist countries have flat taxes?

When communism fell there was no middle class and the really rich 1% tended to be largely outside taxation so I guess progressive taxation wouldn't have made much of a difference in state coffers. Later on it has become a FYGM situation although officially it's about competition and trickle down.

Then there was probably some degree of ideological factor - no better way to say 'gently caress you Lenin' than to give the church and the captains of industry back the respect they had before 1917.

dex_sda posted:

The cherry on top of that is that they would be the first to go if we deported everyone against the constitution.

Will the last one to be deported please turn the lights out.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 18, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

McGavin posted:

So is Denmark.

They can just build a lego raft, plastic floats nicely :denmark:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nah, a third of Denmark still remains.

the Danish Alps

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Why on earth would you visit Russia if you were that guy

precisely because he was that guy, ie. a polonium expert

"He had been given sole responsibility over a contract with the US Federal Government for a programme measuring polonium inside former USSR nuclear weapons workers."

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The reason they're pointing out that it is the same pathologist who said David Kelly committed suicide is because a lot of people think Kelly was murdered and covered up as a suicide.

Actually it was to cover up Madeleine McCann's whereabouts (she was abducted by princess Diana after Diana faked her own death), Maddy is actually Vladimir Putin's and Diana's daughter and wait there's more *farts*

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 27, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

At some point the heroic Admiral Kuznetsov will have killed more Russians than the Syrian opposition :911:

By this time you'd expect all the diesel emissions to have taken their toll on sailors' lungs, but then, thanks to natural selection superior Slavic lungs should be immune to such effects by now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TasogareNoKagi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

And yet the most recent occurrence I can recall, the bit with the plane ending up in the water didn't happen.

One funny thing about AWACS planes is that the radome saucer thing creates some lift of its own, so while it's not exactly a biplane it might still improve the chances of pulling up after a failed landing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Romanians hate Iran more than Hungary, that's insane.

Has there been an influx of Iranian asylum seekers lately or what could explain this?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Reuters already reported that the gunman and the ambassador are both dead.

Does it also specify if they were separate persons?

e: well, it looks like so

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Did others die or is that man whose shoes we see just taking cover (I hope he's just taking cover)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

Is it ok to feel a bit of schadenfreude here? I'm feelin very schadenfreundery.

After hearing that Karlov had started his career as the Soviet ambassador to North Korea I couldn't help feeling a bit of pleasure, as he must have witnessed and supported things that would make Kissinger blush. Then again who knows how bad he was.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

According to Russian TV, the ambassador had been attending an exhibition called "Russia as seen by Turks".

There's something ironic somewhere here but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

I knew that Russia's economy has been in the shitter for a while now but I hadn't really seen any stories about how this was affecting the civilian population, this paints a pretty grim picture.

The article makes the deal look more unusual than it is when this is nothing new. Mass methanol poisonings occur from time to time when industrious dealers get creative or alcoholics think they have hit the gold vein by drinking antifreeze or aftershave. Yet this must be the first time that people die of bath oils instead of bath salts...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Nobody cares about Ukraine anymore.

From the article:

quote:

A resident in a nearby separatist-controlled town, who asked not to be identified for personal security reasons, dismissed the idea that any separatist troops had attempted to attack and said the fighting was merely “rocket-tennis” between the two sides.

Even locals don't care. Also rocket-tennis should be a game in the next Olympics.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This loving year!

Woman who survived 33,000ft fall, dies

quote:

"I am like a cat, I have had nine lives," she told the New York Times. "But if nationalist forces in this country prevail, my heart will burst."

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 24, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Causes are obviously unkown at the moment, but the plane disappeared from radar just minutes after take-off, so...

Fixed your post to sound less ominous. Russian military transport planes crash all the time, the last one happened just a week ago in Siberia.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38362858

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Also Russian TV channels do not employ journalists.
drat shame about the Choir, though. Apparently was going to Syria?

Yep, Russian holidays are just coming and they were going to entertain Russian servicemen in Latakia. I can't imagine how depressing it must be having to spend the New Year away from your loved ones and then even the entertainers crash into sea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

For old times' sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKSd0x4a5U

I'm expecting them to form the ensemble again, after all what is an army without an official choir? Until such time, the Ministry of Interior's choir holds the monopoly (I wonder if the FSB has its own ensemble?).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Are we certain this was not part of some internal power struggle? There can be only one Red Army Choir!

Fair point, after all we know that in Russia performing arts are a very, very serious business, much like photographic galleries incite violence in Turkey

quote:

Mr. Dmitrichenko told the court that he had asked Yuri Zarutsky, an acquaintance and a former convict, to “knock around” Mr. Filin, but maintained that Mr. Zarutsky took it upon himself to embellish the assault by dousing Mr. Filin’s face with acid. Mr. Zarutsky was sentenced to 10 years for conspiring to cause bodily harm.

Mr. Dmitrichenko now labels the whole affair pure fiction. It was all a plot, he said, by Mr. Filin and his allies in the Bolshoi to remove him from the scene because he was vocal about their corrupt practices and would not be intimidated.

The revisions spill out in dizzying, not to say implausible, succession: He never spoke to Mr. Zarutsky about Mr. Filin. He denied that he admitted as much in court. Ms. Vorontsova was not his girlfriend. He even raises doubts that there was any acid attack since Mr. Filin has little noticeable scaring and can drive, despite the seeming lack of an iris in one eye that he keeps hidden behind sunglasses.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

No, a bunch of singers and musicians are not a propaganda machine. They're a source of prestige for the country, sure, but they don't broadcast any sort of message (other than "Russia has a great band").

Eh, that's not quite true. The ensemble was always part of the Soviet propaganda machinery. Not a very sinister part, but still obvious propaganda, much more obvious than other forms of culture and sports that are also widely used for propaganda purposes.

After the fall of Soviet Union it came to be seen so kitschy that Helmut Lotti could safely perform the same Stalinist songs, but imagine if Bundeswehr had its own choir and dance group performing Horst Wessel Lied and other beloved classics...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, might as well shoot all the Soviet / Russian filmmakers, actors, musicians, singers... because they make the life in Russia less miserable, and thus contribute to the survival of its corrupt regime by placating the populace, and are part of national propaganda.

Or at least hang all those ballet dancers who were pretty much bred to raise Russia's prestige abroad.

Nay, I feel sorry for them (and the reporters and the rest of the casualties). But to say that they weren't propaganda is odd. This isn't a stock photograph of a kitten used to market an unrelated product, they were actual military personnel dressed in military uniforms singing militaristic songs. If that's not military propaganda then what is?

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 29, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

This is a sincere question and I'm really refraining my utter contempt and disgust to make it. What would be the reaction of this thread if one of the planes that bring singers or comedians to perform to the US army stationed on Iraq or Afghanistan fell? Would it be the same callousness displayed towards the RAC or would there an attempt to make a distinction between them and the troops waging war on the ground?

lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I mean I would literally laugh out loud if some idiot entertainers died enmasse

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

provided that the group included Adam Sandler

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Did McCain get shot down over enemy territory again?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

- a minister of health who said that the smog (Poland's health resort towns have nine times as much benzopiren in the air as London) is not a problem, since so many people smoke,

This makes sense, the cigarette's filter will probably catch some of the impurities in the air.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-michigan-voters-media

"I’m not white, I’m Euro-American of Polish descent"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

From a defense point of view it makes perfect sense to restrict some positions, it would be naive to think that our beloved neighbour doesn't try to use dual citizens to pry military secrets. Not in the form of a fifth column like in Ukraine but there are ways. Oh well, I guess FSB will have to tell their agents to give up their Russian passport now? From an equality point of view this kind of blanket restriction is more problematic and I fear it could disillusion some patriotic dual citizens who have no connection to Russia than having some family ties there and otherwise would zealously defend their country.

But I appreciate the irony that our republic's army was formed 99 years ago by a Russian dandy C.G.E. Mannerheim and other Tsarist generals

Double irony comes from how our irreplaceable military intelligence chief during WW2 Aladar Paasonen was half Hungarian and our recent and EU's current milintel chief Georgij Alafuzoff is half Russian

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In slightly more depressing news, a Russian LGBT activist has gone missing on January 31, as he entered DPR.

went missing... or went back into the closet???

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Another one bites the dust.

Do Russian diplomats die one after the other all the time?

9 January

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Putin should check the expiry date on his polonium stock

http://www.rferl.org/a/russia-navalny-campaigns-after-green-antiseptic-attack/28380741.html

quote:

Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny has made the best of what appeared to be the latest attempt to trip up his effort to run for president.

After being doused with green antiseptic while opening a campaign office in the Siberian city of Barnaul on March 20, Navalny said that whoever did it had done him a favor.

"Maybe in the Kremlin they think I won't make this video with a green face, but I definitely will, because even more people will watch me," Navalny said in a clip posted on his website, suggesting that President Vladimir Putin's administration was behind the attack. "This will certainly not stop me."

With his face and hands covered in "zelyonka" -- a green liquid used by Russian parents and doctors for decades to treat skinned knees and other minor injuries -- he called on viewers to turn out for rallies he is trying to stage nationwide on March 26 against alleged government corruption.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Any idea where in Ukraine it's located?

Balakleja is about 40km south east of Kharkiv.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody (russian saboteur??) was recording from a drone at the same time:
https://i.imgur.com/paqgG7f.mp4

Is there more than this gif? When that gif starts there's already several fires around the place, indicating that it's not the first explosion. Anyone with a drone living nearby could have got out after the first bangs to record it, it'd only be suspicious if the recording started before there was even any smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Calling it now: Navalnyi organized the bombings using US money to hire Latvian female ISIS mercenaries.