Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

3peat posted:

"Through the present (document) it is attested that comrade Stefanescu Eusebiu is an actor of the State Theater of Ploiesti.
The aforementioned is cast in the play "the Windmill" by Ion Luca, and the character he's interpreting requires for him to have long hair.
Thus the present (document) was issued to serve as justification when confronted by law enforcement."

It wasn't allowed for men to have long hair in communist Romania

...Well, did it work?

Or do we have this document because it was part of his arrest file? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

alex314 posted:

More :poland: news: former member of Europarliament Maciej Giertychis promoting a book that claims theory of evolution is false and T-Rex has lived beside Homo Sapiens, up until the Deluge...

I totally believe that the perfidious Swedes extinguished the dinosaurs out of spite. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

In a scandal that nicely connects northern and southern Eastern Europe, Croatian MiG 21 airplanes that went to Ukraine for upgrade were returned in even worse condition and ex minister of defense might shoot himself.

In other * * * EX-YU EX-WAR NEWS * * * Bosnian Serb war leader Radovan Karadzic was sentenced to 40 years of prison by the Hague Tribunal. That seems fitting although there were of course groups who weren't satisfied because he wasn't convicted of everything he should've been. Before his arrest in 2008 he spent years as a monk-like alternative healer.

Another bizarre moment was that the Tribunal's ex spokeswoman was arrested at the sentencing (released today). Ratko Mladić, Karadzic's general and accomplice should also receive his sentence soon, and so should Vojislav Šešelj, Serbian extremist politician. Šešelj has been released for health reasons which don't prevent him from organizing rallies and burning Croatian flags. He also announced that he won't accept or recognize the sentence so Serbia will probably have to extradite him forcefully.

I am 90% sure an older acquaintance of mine in the NE US used to work for Karadzic. :ohdear:

I imagine the response to the verdict looked a lot like an Irish wake.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

Movies in Poland are rarely dubbed - or at least were when I still watched TV. Usually a lector speaking over the original track is used.

There is not nearly enough :argh: in the world for my feelings about That One Lektor.

I lived in a shoebox with a large bald Pole who liked dubbed television for nine months and I suspect that if I met that man and recognized his voice I would awaken from the blackout with blood all over me and a corpse in need of concealment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, it tells me a lot about the integrity and intelligence of the people running Wikileaks.

Maybe the Panama Papers release is a scheme to discredit Wikileaks when they are forced to look like Putin apologists. :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

redscare posted:

The Poles have actually built up a decent army. On paper, it could beat the comically underfunded Bundeswehr and take Berlin. Russia would get a proper bloody nose if it tried anything.

Their dudes in the Iraq coalition were also quite well respected, I hear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

In other Polish news Lech Walesa takes the initiative:

"I'll go to the barricades, I'll end PiS's rule. I won't shoot but we know methods and ways also those that use a bit of force."

"I won't shoot, but I'm not too old to carry a club!" :corsair:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Actually it's delicious. A cheese that doesn't offend at least one sense is no cheese at all.

I have yet to meet a cheese that offends my hearing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Paladinus posted:

At least the local curia were fast to apologise and distance themselves from this debacle. Wonder if they'll finally do something about the priest, too.

Polska dla polakow pijakow. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

God drat it. :mad:

I'd been hoping that the status of the Tatars would be one of the fairly few bright spots in this whole kerfuffle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

Its all part of the homofascist agenda. They get you used to eating gourd vegetables like cucumbers and eggplants instead of bloody red meat and BAM before you know it, you're bicycling down to the gay club to man your shift at the glory hole.

Didn't work for me.

They didn't hire me because I never learned to ride a bicycle. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

Hey now, I'm not fan of modern or performance art either but shooting them to death with weapons clearly designed for military use seems a bit harsh, even for cat throwers.

Poor cats, it was probably traumatic. :(

Except for the inevitable one whose life dream it was to be hurled at furless monkey scum.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

In Poland at least there's a "hooligan league" where groups set up skirmishes (along with rules what weapons are allowed for a given fight and expected group size) and assign each other points for who won. The meet-ups are often connected to their team's friendly matches, but not necessarily, if there's a period of boredom. They're often pretty chill towards each other post-battle (as opposed to intra-city semi-criminal rivalry, where you can get your head macheted off).

I drank with a dude who was a Lech Poznan hooligan once! Pretty relaxed guy, honestly, I assume he just gets all the hostility out of his system at footbrawls.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AceRimmer posted:

:tinfoil: Poland is reviving the Międzymorze. :tinfoil:

PiS' top necromancers are working on restoring Pilsudski to working order.

I hear it's not going especially well. :zombie:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Article in the Torygraph today about the Crimean Tatars struggle on to resist Russian rule.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/07/special-report-crimea-tatars-endure-second-tragedy-under-russian/

Also:

I was really hoping that at least the Russians would treat the Tatars okay. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I work for a Polish company, and my boss has never brought up any conspiracy theory. I should quit!

The first conspiracy theory I got told while I was in Poland for nine months was a somewhat convoluted one about France taking over the Polish internet for geopolitical purposes. :v: No Jews involved unless I missed an implication about the owners of the French telecom company in question (which was partnered with my favorite Polish oligarch).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Was it about TP SA fusing with Orange?

Sounds right. Two big telecom companies, one of which was French... might have been just TALKING mergers at the time?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

"We can't call him a pigfucker!" "Yeah, but let's make him deny it."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pierogi posted:

Of course he's a CIA shill according to yt comments, so par for the course in our thread.

One of our most beloved Something Awful celebrities is a CIA shill, so that's fine. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:laffo: I bet that's resulted in some real interesting Belgian explosive ordnance disposal brainstorming sessions.

Which apparently so far have concluded that the least bad option is to wait for it to send that guy and his tractor into orbit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't tell if you're playing along with a joke or if Canada really has cheese crime.

Edit: Oh my God it's real.

:laffo: I knew about the Ocean's Eleven heist on the Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, but not about Canadian cheese smugglers.

Next we will have a story about actual Canadian river pirates stealing from agricultural produce barges.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it's pretty rididuclous for anyone to expect the police to do their loving jobs with an ounce of professionalism and not turning into vindictive criminals them selves the moment they're annoyed

:raise:

I guess you're not American. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

My favorite part is that he explicitly mentioned "big-city feminists" to refer to the one protest movement that actually reached the allegedly oh-so-conservative small towns. Sure, the tens of thousands of people were out in Warsaw, Krakow and Tricity, but pretty much every decently-sized town had at least a couple hundred people turn out. There were even small marches of 50-100 folks in some sleepy little provincial towns I hadn't even heard of before. Definitely a far-left event organized by all the bored radical feminist student activist SJW millennials drinking soy lattes in the hip cafes of Wejherowo, Żyrardów and Susz :rolleyes:

I wanna know about Poznan, although to be fair they may as well be German, right? :v:

Edit: I may be sufficiently not poo poo at Polish still to resolve this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

what happens in Grozny, stays in Grozny

Pictured: Ramzan's nephew after sudden disappearance of his cousin who is rumoured to be involved in the plot. Probably just got his hands stuck in a window, no big deal.

To my horror, Ramzan got the attractive genes in the family.

edit: possibly by torturing the previous holder until they were relinquished

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Yeah, we'll get right on that when you return Siberia to it's native peoples and gently caress back to the western side of the steppes Russia.

The Nogai Khanate shall rise again! :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Shouldn't that be something like coffee with vodka? A similar drink is already popular in Scandinavia.

Coffee with LOTS of vodka is more Russian. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Satan himself is a Gulenist if these people are to be believed.

No, Satan himself is an elderly Turkish priest living in Pennsylvania.

Edit: okay yeah technically he's a Gulenist

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

What's up Poland? I hear PiS caved in and decided not to ban non-govt media from the Sejm (yet) and it only took nearly a week of protesting on the streets!

:toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

alex314 posted:

Good luck Romanian Goons!

Poland is so hosed I won't even bother posting details.

I'm glad I was able to spend nine months there in 07-08 before it went completely to poo poo. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fabulous Knight posted:

What is the takeaway from that? Trump is going to allow Putin to take over Belarus by claiming to defend it from Polish aggression? Trump is going to allow Putin to invade Poland because the Poles were aggressive first in Belarus?

At long last, a restored corridor to Kaliningrad :getin:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Trogdos! posted:

crossposting from dnd pics thread

Make Poland proud, Janusz

Somebody needs to take a handbag to the head from a terrifying Polish grandmother.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

There's no way Putin has any interest in ousting Kadyrov. If he wants to set Chechnya straight, he will do so by making Kadyrov apply pressure, not by replacing him.

Yeah, it would be a tragic waste of a cartoonish real life Bond villain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Following then from vodka being the diminutive of water

Oh god, I used to be quasi-conversant in Polish and never got this. :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pizdec posted:

In the same vein, as 'pić/пить' means 'to drink', then 'piwo/пиво' ('beer') literally means 'the drink'.

Awesome.

As penance I offer a joke that I've retold before, but probably in a history thread.

Back when Poland was partitioned into thirds, a Pole from Warsaw (capital of the Russian bit) and a Pole from Poznan (capital of the Prussian bit and the place I lived for a while :3: ) run into each other.

Poznan: "Oh hey man, it's been a while. What are you up to these days?"
Warsaw: "We're stockpiling arms to throw off the yoke of the Russian occupiers! :black101:"
Poznan: ...
Poznan: "...Are you sure that's allowed? :ohdear:"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RIP

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Not this argument again. Some people like cash, some like cards, don't try to persuade each other your way is better.

I only use a barter system denominated in cows. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

alex314 posted:

So... maybe some ways to piss other nations in that region? That thread being polish-centric gets boring. Do I get to say windows in my house doesn't open all the way to piss Czechs?

Anyone too fat to fit through the window will be trimmed until they do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Of course, to make things even more complicated, part of "Poland" were really the (multi-ethnic) lands of West Ukraine.

Part of modern "Ukraine" is really the multi-ethnic lands of East Poland. :colbert:

Alternatively long live the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth

tomorrow Kiev, next week Belarus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OddObserver posted:

No commentary on the weird rosary thing in Poland?

Breaking news, Polish conservatives are xenophobic weirdos.