Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The current price war, aimed against the US and their fracking investments, demonstrates further that the SA has free hand in picking their economic policies and economic partners.

Yeah, the way it looks to me is that the Saudis are making a play against North American oil and Russia is a fortunate (and not-coincidental) byproduct of that.

If the Saudis can drive the NA interests out of funds they can probably pick up the rights to a good chunk of it and then just sit on it. This is pretty standard operating procedure for monopolies, this is why they were made illegal 100+ years ago. Force your competitors out of business, pick up their assets for a song and profit massively on your now expanded control of the market.

Even if they can't own the north american oil deposits outright they can (and have) let it be known that they will bankrupt any venture that seeks to operate there at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

In lighter news: as part of decommunization, a village in Transcarpathia had its Lenin Street renamed Lennon Street.

Considered by some to also be a prominent communist?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kiejzar posted:

That is quite wrong from what I know. Few years ago during war games in Poland an Abrams tank put five slugs info front turret armor of decomissioned Polish PT-91 (lovely t72 knockoff inferior in every way to T90 and T72B3) and none penetrated. Distance was 1300 metres, and modern DU penetrators were suposedly used. And that ignores additional factors like moving targets, active defences and so on. In the second Chechen war Russians had tanks returning to base after 8 ATGM hits.

Stupid americans! Can't even penetrate the front armor 45 year old knock off tanks!

Russia Stonk tank take 8 hits! Hah!

*goes to watch another 20 videos of T-72s & T-90s being annihilated by 60 year old US made ATGMs on youtube*

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm getting so loving tired that people think a country that spends the same budget as Italy on its military is somehow making all these super weapons.

I think Russia's GDP is about the same as Italy's not their defense spending.

But yeah, restarting (new improved) Alpha production, recommissioning Kirovs, committing to huge production runs of 5th gen fighters and a B-21 analogue while also fielding tanks that can't be penetrated and weapons systems that can't be defeated. All by a country who has as much in it's savings account as a healthy teachers pension program.

Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Maybe it's reverse star wars? Scare NATO into over committing to it's own defense spending in an attempt to cause disruption?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

blowfish posted:

...and this from the only country on our planet to build and operate a large supersonic strategic bombing force (no, barely-over-mach 1-B1s don't count) :ussr:.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-58_Hustler

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-111_Aardvark

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Elukka posted:

Well, to be fair it might. ATGMs vary widely in penetration and if it can't get through on the first shot there's probably a decent chance it won't get through on the 8th shot unless you manage to hit the same spot. There's stories of tanks in Iraq or Afghanistan taking dozens of RPGs and making it back to base. (I have no idea how it apparently didn't occur to them to hit them from the side or back.)

The point was that there were no specifics involved in the statement at all just rah-rahing.

"I herd ur tank suckz but my tank is sooo l33t"

'Might actually be feasible, at least on paper, and under a certain set of circumstances' isn't a very strong basis to form an opinion on.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pierogi posted:

:poland: :poland: :poland: best $30 I've ever spent supporting this dead gay forum

Looks sort of like a dripping penis.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

eigenstate posted:

I was going to pass this up, but it too good good not to be translated, since the closest most Americans would get to seeing how propaganda works is Fox news, which is grade-school level at best by Russian standards, and therefore have no real understanding of how propaganda works. Here, an opinions journalist is being asked to comment how the recent (Jan 2016) ruling on the Litvenenko case directly implicating Putin in the murder would affect Putin's popularity in Russia, but it is easily applicable to Bellingcat's reports, etc.

So, the west should not do anything ever because everything they do is just used by Russian state media to it's own purposes?

That seems to be the point of the article.

Maybe, just maybe, the things the west does are not actually being done with consideration for Russian popular opinion at all?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Also a fine of 30,000 rubles for "illegal border crossing".

$441 USD... Uh, lol.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

alex314 posted:

There's no way he can create a new formation 100k strong, not to mention 400k with heavy weapons. Maybe he'll join various Interior Ministry and similar forces and then add an armoured brigade.

He's taking a huge amount of troop from some constitutionally constituted authority (including I suppose their logistics and requisitions capabilities?) and putting under his direct authority via his best bud, long time body guard and former KGB officer?

Yeah, this sounds good.

What about air & armor assets? Have we heard anything about that?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I think he's just playing it for the home audience. No one expects it to hit him in any way, so he's just milking it for political capital. Evil western capitalists constantly assaulting plucky little Russia has worked every time so far.
It's pretty amazing watching someone deflect evidence of them embezzling billions in state funds, bribes and payoffs without even having to comment on it other than shrug and pantomime "CIA plot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

What I find troubling is the latest news on Flynn. Not only was he in contact with Russia, but it appears he was a foreign agent for Turkey as well. Syria pops into my head.

I thought that the issue wasn't that he did work for Turkey. That is was that when he was asked to disclose associations with foreign governments prior to taking his role in Trumps administration he failed to disclose it?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 16, 2017