Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gantolandon posted:

The Pope, in a gesture of humility, washed feet of some refugees. A lot of Polish Catholics didn't take it well.

Some Facebook quotes:

• "This is a betrayal of Christ and Christianity."
  • "Antipope, betrayer of Jesus Christ the King."
  • "We don't want the Antichrist in Krakow." (the Pope is supposed to visit the city during the World Youth Day)
  • "This leftie pretending to be the Pope is going to try to make us to accept terrorists!"
  • "Is this senility?"
  • "He's loving dangerous!"
  • "Muslims got their feet washed... probably for the first time in their life."
  • "Washing the feet of 12 men is supposed to memorize how Christ washed the feet of the Apostles... and here we have some women and pagans."

These are the same people who usually present themselves as ultra-orthodox and maintain that you have to completely adhere to everything a priest teaches you to be even a passable Catholic.

bleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

Movies in cinemas are subtitled with maybe a few exceptions. Movies for children are dubbed so when an adult movie is dubbed it sounds bizarre for a Polish ear as the concept is considered as something that kids need. Which is probably why video games are dubbed.

In the case of video games, at least originally, I think they were dubbed in large part to discourage sales of localized games outside Poland (since they were sold here at a reduced price).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Arab hate is probably a recent development?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The fact that hatred is basically a neo nazi power fantasy should really tip you off.

From what I remember reading up on the guy, he was nationalistic, but not explicitly fascist (as malleable a word as that is).

So probably a supreme rear end in a top hat, but maybe not closet Nazi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably just an idiot boor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a growing (I think?) sentiment that the Warsaw uprising was a reckless mistake. It was not heroic because the outcome was predictably destructive. That it should be treated as a cautionary tale against unhealthy patriotism (which was feverish coming out of a century of boiling under bondage) rather than a noble act of defiance. Some go so far as to call it selfish martyrdom.

I don't agree, but I can't say the few first hand accounts from my family left me impartial (it's not something they talked about often). Warsaw could definitely tone down the annual remembrance (celebrations?), though.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

But before I'm eaten alive here I'll say that I don't consider either side as clearly right here but it's something I'd like to see critically considered more often because during the next conflict that Poland finds itself in I expect children to be used as soldiers way more eagerly specifically because of the glorified nature of the WW2 symbol.

That's preposterous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

We aren't loved in the UK, but in the six or seven times I traveled to or through Germany I always felt less welcome. I don't speak German, however.

In my experience, the British are more tolerant than the Dutch as well, wrt Poles anyway. (Worth noting I lived much longer in the Netherlands than UK, however.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

How do you say PiS in Polish? Is it like piizzzzzz? Or more like piss? Why would you give your party a name that sounds so similar to piss?

Phonetically it's supposed to sound more like "peace".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I found out today that Larry King has an RT produced show. (Yes, because of the Trump interview)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

treerat posted:

Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

The proper term for potato was a source of tension in our household - mom from Warsaw, Dad Kraków.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Could you elaborate on what the two choices are?

Ziemniak versus kartofel. Mom (from Warsaw) would prefer kartofel. Dad (from Krakow) didn't like kartofel's Germanic origin, always insisting (usually half seriously) it wasn't the proper term. Apparently it was a regional thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smalec, Szmalec was another. (Lard spread is the English term?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:eyepop: So, Riga's municipal policy is running a program where you can report crimes with a mobile app, attaching pictures and stuff, and follow through on their proceedings. Say, you see, someone parked over two spots for disabled, or on the lawn, you snap - send it - and get told if the violator with fined or something.

Turns out our brave municipal police of Riga really hates working, fining people in particular, so they have been mad about this unknown "law maniac" for a while, which turns out to be a young father who just cares about walkways and parks being safe and clean from cars and such.

Long story short, apparently the municipal police has begun to attach his full name to each fine they place, on a separate slip of paper. In the latest turn of events, this dude was visited by an angry person to "discuss" the report of their violation. This person did get, in a sealed police envelope with crime protocol, a note to go and seek out "the snitch" for retribution.

The whole thing sounds poorly thought out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Context aside, just wanted to point out the TU-160 is a pretty thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anybody w/ a more technical knowledge of the subject want to weigh in on the cancelling of the Airbus helicopter deal?

Reuters: France angry with Poland after it scraps Airbus deal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Somehow missed this:

Wajda died yesterday.

Cat Mattress posted:

Simple.

There are three companies that build helicopters that have factories in Poland.
- Airbus
- Sikorsky
- AgustaWestland

Now if you look at where these factories are located, you'll notice that the Sikorsky and Agusta ones are in PiS territory, while the Airbus one isn't.

The Airbus offer was, in exchange for Poland buying 50 choppers, Poland would get
- 100% offsets, meaning all the money spent by Poland would be invested right back by Airbus in Poland
- Full transfer of technology
- Lots of hires to triple the size of an Airbus research center in Poland

What happened next? PiS declared that Airbus was difficult to deal with so they scrap the deal, and instead they're gonna buy some US choppers.

Now, commercially, the offer wasn't profitable to Airbus. They'd have lost money and intellectual property on that deal. This was deemed an acceptable sacrifice in exchange for getting Poland to be one of their customer, and make of this European country a partner for the European defense industry.

The official line is (vague): the offset offer was ultimately unsatisfactory.

Any comment on the actual hardware involved?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 11, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaj posted:

Im worried that as a Ukrainian American, most of my fellow Slavs are pro Trump, despite the fact he has little love for NATO or care for Ukraine. When I point this out they go silent. This is one of the leading Ukrainian fraternal sites on the east coast http://www.soyuzivka.com/ . They still have black face Halloween parties and are basically a Slavic Bohemian grove. These are the white folk who are the decedents of war refugees and are now saying the Muslims shouldn't be let in because they cant be trusted (like the communists). This is basically a moneyed middle class white demographic that is whole FYGM.

I've had the exact same experiences with US Poles. Embarrassing, depressing and disgusting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Can we seriously just give hungary and poland a choice between being in soviet union 2.0 or being a western democracy? Like, these are your two options, either stop sliding towards a putin-style dictatorship or we'll toss you in with your own kind?

Kinda hosed up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The lorry involved in the Berlin attack was Polish. It's suspected to have been stolen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Maybe they should have told John McCain and Lindsey Graham before they spent New Years' over there.

Or vice versa.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

jonnypeh posted:

Meanwhile in Estonia the (state-run) foundation to promote enterprise or whatever it's called, came up with a newly developed brand for Estonia.

What does this look like to you?

I don't know either.

Muzzy, pooping space rocks in his sleep.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Current public news broadcasts are not-so-thinly-veiled clumsy propaganda, even without literal photo doctoring.

Don't get me wrong, TVP was always a poo poo heap, but right now it's a farce.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjpGfjzheeo&t=26s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

A reminder of what?

"The president has been incredibly tough on Russia. He continues to raise the issue of Crimea. [...] He expects the Russian government to [...] return Crimea." versus his confused mumbling about Ukraine and "hearing the people of Crimea would rather be with Russia"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Must be fun to be in the shoes of someone potentially on "the list" right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have particularly cogent thoughts on the matter, but I don't like the rise of leaks and hacks as news stories (whistle blowing is a separate matter).

That said, if this is true, of course it's for the better that we know.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/844866093734772736

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not much difference to discussing Trump with Republican family members. 'Tis a universal human defect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They are very much seen as a political phenomenon; a provocation. They're a manifestation of the influence of the decadent west. Homosexuality is considered an aberration in these countries, so obviously foreign interests must be behind any native efforts in raising awareness and tolerance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They're usually polite and not too pushy in my experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just me but I don't find these humorous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zbigniew Brzeziński is dead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Trump's coming to Poland.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And it's the least loathsome thing about the interview.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's worse than that. Their message has infiltrated traditionally anti-Russian camps. They're spreading that BS themselves, sometimes unwittingly citing Kremlin-seeded propaganda. I'm referring to US Republicans as much as explicitly anti-Russian Polish nationalistic groups.

Some of it so transparent. Like reigniting Poland and Ukraine's troubled past by desecrating cemeteries. But it works. Cheap but effective.

That's why I wish Americans were more vigilant and less impulsive against similar stunts on their own soil. Regardless of who's actually behind them they're perpetrated by a smaller party to divide a larger unity. With Russia's public brazen interference in US domestic affairs, it isn't conspiratorial to think they could be staging provocations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OTOH, because they're the victims this time, it's nice to see some US liberals have their eyes opened.

Putin was a meme character to a lot people before this. Vaguely a bad guy but lol he wrestles wild animals bare chested, and also the USA is actually pretty bad too.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 1, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Felix on CHAPO has on more than one occasion parroted the Nazi Maidan line.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Curious how a similar questionnaire would look asked in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's with these questions?