Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fishmech posted:

Many forms of abortion are not surgical procedures. Try again.

You are retarded and should have been aborted.

Taking a pill is not an abortion in the sense anybody considers in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

There is an important distinction between a human and a person.

Not really, children are not full persons, but we understand them as both humans and potential persons. Thus they get the full protection afforded to a person. At what point does a mass of human cells make the transition from being a simple biological sample to being a child?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

And just a day after talking about a WW3-inducing crisis, damnit!

Neither one of these countries is a major player, or connected to a major player through a NATO-style alliance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

A fetus is a person when it is capable of being its own entity.

What does it mean? Being able to live on its own?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

loving assholes ITT believing that women apparently get abortions for fun without having real, serious reasons.

Are you seriously suggesting that "not wanting to have children" is never, ever a reason for an abortion?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

Not wanting to have children because you can't support children and it would ruin your life is a good reason to have an abortion.

Yes, that is one sub-category. But if we return to the original subject of abortion laws under Communism, the Leninist proposal of "women should not be slaves of reproduction" got overturned almost immediately when it turned out abortion rates basically annulated population growth even among population segments that were quite capable of keeping a child; so the new policy was to employ a commission that would decide on the medical and socio-economic impacts of the child being aborted. Now, this was obviously not optimal since the woman SHOULD be able to get an abortion for no reason other than not wanting to carry it to term with little consideration for economic or medical factors, but you need to recognize these cases do exist in order to assume an effective argumentative stance against the regressive conservatives.

Pretending that these cases don't exist merely creates a discoursive vacuum for the conservatives to exploit by giving them free reign over the "frivolous abortions" argument.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

So there are underlying social problems that cause people to not want to bring children into the world. If you want your population to grow, fix these problems. High abortion rates are a symptom of societal decay, not a cause.

I didn't say I want population to grow. I said you need to be able to defend your policy against the people who hold that view in order to prevail, or you'll be rolled back the way you currently see in AMerica.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anosmoman posted:

If it's ""for the greater good" then the state should pay people to have children rather than force people to carry unwanted babies to term. Setting up a lottery where people will randomly be assigned community service because we prefer to not pay for the work to be done is arbitrary, unjust and lazy.

I don't know how loud I need to shout out that I'm not in favour of a Foucalutesque greater good biopower population control. I guess it doesn't matter, people who can't be bothered to read full posts will react anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Valiantman posted:

I don't know if you meant what you wrote but... um...

They do not posses full legal subjectivity (personality). They can't vote, they can't start a business, they can't take care of themselves without their custodians.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

grate deceiver posted:

I honestly have no idea how anyone watches movies on tv anymore in this tyool of our lord 2016. Unless it's a paid channel specifically for movies (or a public station I guess), it's something like 20min sections interrupted by 10min blocks of commercials. Seems like a weird thing to be upset about in comparison.

And even if it's a feature movie, it's still dubbed by the worst, cheapest actors possible. I suspect that recently TV stations started bringing drugged up hobos to the studio to do the work for free, because no other alternative makes sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

Also, not all dubbing is bad. There are some historical examples of tremendously good dubbing (like Polish versions of I, Claudius and Twelve Angry Men).

Dubbing was one of the few things that actually worked under Communism because the government run AV agencies could just point at actors from elite cadres and tell them to take this or this dubbing role. It wasn't for profit, and rewards / royalties were decided upon unilaterally be the authorities, and consequently some of the dubbed movies actually have better foley and voice overs than the originals. Today is the very opposite of that, though, the logical conclusion of a creative race to the bottom.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Two years ago or so there was a TV show called "Dovolená v Protektorátu" (Holiday in The Protectorate) in which a picked family had to live in a house that was period-accurate for WWII, while they had to deal with actors pretending to be the Gestapo and poo poo re-enacting various events like raids and interrogations. Then they were supposed to introspectively reflect upon how it made them feel and share their newly acquired understanding of history with the world.

It was as much of a shitshow farce as you would expect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Although Czech language as a whole sounds like weird baby talk to Polish people so it goes beyond vocabulary in this case.

Don't worry, Polish sounds like the speaker has a lisp and at least a couple additional speech impediments, so we are 50:50.

Tevery Best posted:

Czech yourself before you wreck yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4lYAPO81y8

That's Slovak :-P

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 6, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Pale Horse posted:

Dastardly Bohemians will give back our clay or else...

:poland:

Heh, you know how it ended the last time you tried. :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, and even the negative stereotypes about Italy are cool.
" Mafia? You mean like in the godfather? Sign me in!"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Who the gently caress owns that piece of garbage?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ComradeKane posted:

So Poroshenko was implicated in the Panama Papers. What sort of political effect has that had there?

I don't think he's ever been very popular. Also hasn't his involvement been due to shifting money from territories endangered by the civil war? Seems at least marginally more benign than the usual tax avoidance ,since he was trying to minimize the effects of a war on his fortune.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ringu0 posted:

55 years ago today, Yuri Gagarin becomes the first man in space. Russia decides to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnwZo2bUjAU

Greetings, Maj. Gagarin!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the Polish army is large and well-equipped enough to give the Russians a pause and to make them consider sabotage over direct invasion, if you live in the Tom Clancy world of the Red Menace crossing the borders any day now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redscare posted:

The Poles have actually built up a decent army. On paper, it could beat the comically underfunded Bundeswehr and take Berlin. Russia would get a proper bloody nose if it tried anything.

Yeah, I was not being sarcastic, the Polish army is genuinely impressive for the country of its size.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

Russia is still a rational actor, Ukraine has proved that. Don't turn it into a mindless bogeyman who wants to invade for the sake of painting the map like some eu4 player.

Plus I can't get banned after we all perish in nuclear hellfire.

Invasion is not the only way for Russia to bully Poland if it didn't have a strong military deterrent. THough the threat of political destabilization doesn't seem so bad now that PiS is a thing...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

So we still haven't said why Poland needs a big military. Besides fueling Nazis and invading Iraq, both of which are bad things.

So, would you like the US to be literally the world policeman for half the world?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Puntification posted:

You think that US spending on the military is because the rest of us aren't pulling their weight rather than it's own geopolitical interests in being a global superpower?

The Americans have been trying to stir Europe into forming their own armed forces capable of projection and dealing with regional threats since mid-90s. And it's generally preferable to be able to solve local crises on your own by having enough bargaining chips, rather than to wait for another power to throw their weight behind you and dictate the outcomes for you, usually reaching sub-optimal results from your perspective.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

Wars between politically isolated states still happen, but Poland is not politically isolated. My original point was: What happened in Ukraine will not happen in Poland if the current status quo in Europe is maintained,

If it stops being maintained (I like the EU and the NATO, but I don't see them as the end of history, a thousand year Reich, if you will), Poland won't be guaranteed the 30 years of peace required to procure a semi-competent army.

And if your vision of standing army = against European values were the political consensus in Europe, building an army by an Euro power in advance of the collapse of the status quo would be seen as undermining the credibility of the intergovernmental cooperation, and further accelerate the disintegration of the union. So resigning on armies as a legitimate state feature would just turn any state that for whatever reason found itself outside a collective security framework into a punching bag.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The English word Slav is really unpleasant to me, simply on an aesthetic level, so every time I see it used I subconsciously think it's a being used as a slur. I don't even think it has anything to do with being etymologically related to slave, it's just sounds ugly and hostile.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sparatuvs posted:

I've always heard Slav is from slovo, I guess denoting people who share the same words.

Slavic words for "Slav" such as "slovan" originate from "slovo" or related words, however the Germanic words "slave", "Sklawe" etc. and "Slav", "Slave" etc. have the same root ín the medieval Latin "Sclavus", meaning Slav, which is in turn taken from Old Slavonic and Greek terms used in the Eastern Empire, which were in turn borrowed from Slavic sources which were naturally referring to themselves with names related to "slovo", which brings us back and closes the circle.

The Slavic lands were a large reservoir of slaves in early medieval times, for Europeans, Byzantines and Arabs alike.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 14, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Achernar posted:

Why can't they go back to being called Bohemia? The fact that they're not a kingdom anymore?

Bohemia ("Čechy") used to be by far the most popular name for the country domestically, but then people started complaining that Bohemia is a historical region that doesn't include Moravia and Silesia, so slowly Czechia ("Česko") became the more popular way of referring to it. It emphasizes nationality rather than any particular region, and is more in line with how the names of other European countries are formed. Bohemia is now mostly used when referring to the region itself.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone care about Brno's feelings though?

It's better to let them think that they matter. Also it's kinda cute.

Disco Infiva posted:

I don't think Silesia would mind, not anymore at least.

Parts of historical Silesia are still in the CR.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OddObserver posted:

Earlier someone posted a poll on Polish opinions of various ethnic groups. Here is one of Ukrainian opinion on countries (and one multi-country entity):

I think you can guess the colors, and the names are, top to bottom:
Poland
Belarus
EU
Georgia
Canada
Lithuania
USA
Germany
Moldova
Turkey
Russia

Wonder what they would have gotten were they to ask about the Netherlands...

Ukrainians are impressively ambivalent, is my takeaway from this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Just call it bohemia you guys.

You are not my real dad!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Czechia Cheese?

Jesus nice

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

It should come with a gas mask. This poo poo is positively toxic.

Actually it's delicious. A cheese that doesn't offend at least one sense is no cheese at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

never trust an elf posted:

As shameful as our world geography tends to be, I don't think Ive ever met an American that didn't know there was a distinction between cz and Chechnya. granted it doesn't come up in conversation often

I assume that if the subject comes up, it's precisely because they know the difference. SOmebody who doesn't know what Chechnya is is not going to start a conversation on Chechnyan politics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey, my favorite songwriter, PJ Harvey, has released a new album, with songs devoted to the Balkans and the humanitarian crises of Kosovo as well as the current refugee influx. I just thought it could be relevant to the thread, since the idea of Eastern European affairs making a way into mainstream Western art for once is kinda fascinating, imo, even though the message of the songs may be kinda condescending to the political compexities of the Balkans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ReW0jJkag8

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have yet to meet a cheese that offends my hearing.

I've heard you can hear the worms in casu marzu if everything else is perfectly silent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zudgemud posted:

But really, why are the ties so broad and short? I thought that half the appeal about nazism was the stylish Hugo Boss uniforms, and they pick some low budget one size fits all brown shirts...

They are wearing the same style of ties that was the norm back when the Nazis were a thing, and to some extent into the sixties: These old fashioned ties were supposed to taper well above the belt line. However, these guys are wearing modern, low resting trousers that were not fashionable at the same time as the shorter neck ties. Instead the trousers would reach much higher on the waist, and so the apparent shortness of the tie would be diminished by there being a much narrower gap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't that by the Hatred crowd? I remember reading somewhere that they had a neo-nazi bent.

The fact that hatred is basically a neo nazi power fantasy should really tip you off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

From what I remember reading up on the guy, he was nationalistic, but not explicitly fascist (as malleable a word as that is).

So probably a supreme rear end in a top hat, but maybe not closet Nazi.

Reminds me of the neo-folk controversy: Are the musicians fascists, or do they merely make music for fascists? And is there a difference?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russian authorities stopped 55 tons of Polish apples and Chinese cabbage from entering the country through Belarus. The produce was accompanied by documents claiming the shipment was beer.

http://www.fsvps.ru/fsvps/news/16945.html

Good, such cruel deception shouldn't be allowed in a civilized world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lancemantis posted:

Isnt it pretty standard for Russia to route things in and out of various former SSRs, especially Belarus, anyway?

AFAIK not really, it's more that the CIS states try to make some extra cash smuggling banned items into Russia, possibly with bribed customs officials' approval, but not on Moscow's order.