Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

1) If you think the United States has any control over what Saudi Arabia sells oil for I don't know what to say. We don't, and never have, and if we did US economic history would be different (thr 70s). Further, at this point it's very doubtful they are even in control of pricing, despite their attempts to maintain appearances of still holding cartel power, because it's not the 70s anymore and oil production is globalized.

2) even if we did control the oil price and are setting it just to gently caress over Russia, that would actually be worth it because when Russia was riding high they started getting very aggressive to their neighbors and invaded one. Putin has shown that he's aggressive when strong and less aggressive when weak so the only rational choice he's given the world is to try to weaken him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The Russian state media is already saying air traffic control did a good job and it was all a huge accident so I'm sure we'll get a very thorough and impartial investigation.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Mark Ames is hard to pin down. He's a leftist sure but he's also a crazy person. He's lived his life trying to be hunter s Thompson.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

But see sex tourism and threatening women is just so ~interesting~ it's probably exactly what a cool writer should do

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Who does a monarchist want to be the monarch in a country where the previous monarchy was liquidated? Themselves? Some random? Or some random 5th cousin of the Romanovs?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

How are u posted:

Extremely rude things to say about the U.S.S.R.'s successor state.

If only they had their economy liberalized and had leadership aligned with Western liberals. That would make it better there.

(Touches earpiece) I'm receiving some disturbing new information about the 90s

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Somaen posted:

If only Russia would be ruled by independent national interests and would be free to develop internally with major capital in the state's hands

*2000-2021 calls* hello

oh my god

So you're saying Western liberalization and "pro democracy" movements will support corrupt leaders who don't actually care at all about democracy, and who eventually hand power off to someone who won't be Western friendly? If that were truly the case, I'd expect the biggest fans of liberalization movements to learn something, unless "supporting democracy" was never the actual goal.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think anyone thinks America invented corruption in Russia. I do think that the posters like how are u who are huge fans of American foreign policy need to have a think about a guy like Putin was directly put in power by America's friend and ally Yeltsin.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Dude, your argument was on thin ice as a premises in the first place. I'm debating with you I'm not going to mash buttons when debating with you.

But you need to explain why your argument has any merit, since at this point its nearly all counterfactual.

Got to come down hard on the guy making an argument you disagree with so good posts like these can continue to thrive

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

It's also my understanding that a lot of exporters don't want to go through the trouble of checking goods on their own dime, so "We're sanctioning everything but food and medicine" in practice becomes "we're sanctioning everything".

Relatedly, "these targeted sanctions against x y and z require you to do due diligence to ensure your sales to this country are not going to x y and z" will often lead to a discussion internally of "should we take the time to ensure we comply with this rule or just stop selling to the entire country which is only .1% of our volume anyway"

I used to do compliance for targeted individual sanctions at a major American company and my work day was going through customers who had the same name as the state department decreed bad guy, and either verifying that was not the same person, or reaching out to the customer and asking they send in ID and delaying their order until they did. It takes a whole department to do that if you sell internationally. It's a pain. And also a whole lot of random people with the same name (or name matching an alias) just always get their orders sightly delayed for a probably mysterious to them reason.

Maybe it's different now but at the time the rule was partial name match = investigation. Doesn't matter if you placed the order from California and that name is shared by tens of thousands of people, full investigation to prove it's not the bad guy so that you are documenting your compliance. That's going to incentize a lot of small consumer level companies that sell internationally to just remove the option to sell to the country in question overall.