Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Trump is a complete narcissist and if he gets into the White House, he will be the leader of the greatest empire that has ever existed on this planet. He will give jack poo poo to Putin.

Nah, I don't know. Trump said that he doesn't care whether or not Ukraine goes into NATO. That was literally what he said, "It gets in, I don't care, it doesn't, I don't care". He's always talking about how Ukraine is an European conflict and America shouldn't really be concerned with it. He would probably get in trouble for failing to address NATO but his personal views on the matter probably don't amount to much... like most of his views in general. He wants to be buddies with Putin and I doubt he gives a poo poo about Eastern Europe.

But hey, he won't win. Surely not.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Really not sure what message it's intended to send to Finland though.

"Don't try to join NATO" or rather "Don't do anything". Putin was pretty friendly a week ago or so when he came here for a day, he wants to see the status quo preserved which is no NATO presence in Finland. I don't think it's a trap or anything, the current situation just is reasonably good for all parties involved. I don't know what he would do if we actually submitted an application to join :ohdear:

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 11, 2016

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Until Putin decides he wants Finlands incredibly valuable bogs and the legions of weapons grade mosquitoes. :colbert:

Not to mention better defense against Sweden's ever dangerous navy.

But all of this is moot anyway once President Trump dissolves the alliance and Russia steamrolls its way to Berlin in two months.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Here is my attempt to parse it:

"Putin is not just in Ukraine, it's more complicated. I wouldn't have gone into Ukraine, like Obama did. Obama turned this whole part of the world into a mess. We are such a strong country and NATO is so powerful, yet Obama still turned it into a mess. And while we're making a mess, Putin just leaves as a winner and is going away. He takes Crimea and leaves Ukraine alone."

These are the ramblings of a lunatic with no public speaking skills and a tenuous grasp of politics. You should not elect this man to the office of POTUS, you would regret it.

Solid attempt. Here is my interpretation:

"Putin is not in Ukraine, don't you know? There are no Russian troops in Ukraine and those satellite photos are fake and besides, you can't trust our dishonest media. Putin himself says there are no Russian troops in Ukraine, and that should be enough for everyone. Obama is a weak sissy president, whereas I will be strong, not unlike Putin himself. Together we will be strong, Putin and I. My campaign manager worked for the ousted president of Ukraine".

The US should not under any circumstances elect this man. He is either dumb as poo poo or he is actually trying to take the side of Russian talking points about the conflict. I don't know which would be worse.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

I spent tonight binging on Wikipedia articles to do with Russian politics. Wiki is poo poo I know, but I have honestly poor general knowledge in this area and wanted to get the gist of things.

The gist is: completely fukt. :stare:

And of course, as fate would have it, it is kind of by far the single most powerful country in Europe and is from time to time very fond of "exporting" its magic to other countries.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Manafort was definitely a shady dude and it's kind of relieving to know he's gone.

How about this guy though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_T._Flynn

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-flynn-trump-classified-briefing_us_57b3939fe4b0edfa80da28ca

quote:

WASHINGTON ― Donald Trump will bring Michael Flynn ― a former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency who was paid by a Russian state-funded television network to speak at its 10th-anniversary gala ― to his first national security briefing on Wednesday.

quote:

In retirement, Flynn was described by the Washington Post as "not hostile to Russia,"[23] while Michael Crowley of Vox described Flynn as having "an odd affection for Russia and its authoritarian government."[24]

After retiring from service with the U.S. government, Flynn began appearing semi-regularly as an analyst on RT, a Kremlin-aligned English-language news outlet.[23][24][25] In 2015, Flynn attended a gala dinner in Moscow in honor of RT, where he was seated two seats away from Russian president Vladimir Putin.[25] Before attending the event, Flynn gave a paid talk on world affairs to a group; Flynn defended the Russian payment in an interview with Michael Isikoff.[25][26] Journalist Michael Crowley of Politico reported that "At a moment of semi-hostility between the U.S. and Russia, the presence of such an important figure at Putin's table startled" U.S. officials.[25]

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
No but really, do you guys figure it is a coincidence that Manafort and Flynn, both guys with more or less suspicious connections to Russia/Yanukovych-era Ukraine ended up so close to a guy who eventually became the nominee of the Republican party for the President of the United States? Now Flynn is an established former military figure even nominated by Obama at one point to lead poo poo. But both of them at the same time, in the same campaign is just very suspicious to me. Especially when you hear all the talk about Putin financing the National Front in France and so forth.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Not a coincidence. Manafort and Flynn are actually just two Putin-connected advisers, you still have Carter Page as well, who is connected through his petroleum links to the oligarchs. Also another Donbass cheerleader.

Yikes. Somehow Page had slipped under my radar almost completely. Well yeah, in the words of Mr. Trump himself "there is something going on" (and someone should probably look into it). In the very unlikely event that the Trumpster is victorious in November, I sure hope the worst that comes out of these connections is a relationship like the one between Berlusconi and Putin.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Huh, I know ashamedly little about the Balkans and I guess I'm pretty surprised about Russia being for something that Serbia, or at least Serbia's PM is against.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Why in French

Because Putin wants to create a Moscow-Berlin-Paris axis of fascism and an attempted removal of the English language as a lingua franca will go hand in hand with that.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Can't wait to see when "dismembering China to the maximum extent possible" really gets going. I'm sure that's still a really hot idea 20 years later.

And over here in "unstable" Finland we are absorbed back into Russia with "maximum cultural autonomy" and get combined with the Republic of Karelia too. Sounds like a plan!

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 17, 2016

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Rex Tillerson sounds like good news for Eastern Europe, at least from his statements during his confirmation hearing.

I have a hard time believing he will be, but he better be, because it sure as poo poo looks like Russia actually owns Trump.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/824726903152115712

I mean, of course.

And not just ease, but lift:

https://twitter.com/sbg1/status/824734913790349313

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2017

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

RedSnapper posted:

(Of course we won't fire a 60 year old with a spotless record and a heart condition just for working for the wrong police force 28 years ago. We'll just give him ALL THE NIGHT SHIFTS until he quits).

Funny how this always happens with the FOR THE PEOPLE governments. You'd think there is nothing more FOR THE PEOPLE than serving in the police and you'd think there is nothing a REAL PATRIOTIC government would revere more than its elderly, but nah.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
What is the takeaway from that? Trump is going to allow Putin to take over Belarus by claiming to defend it from Polish aggression? Trump is going to allow Putin to invade Poland because the Poles were aggressive first in Belarus?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Well today we find out if PiS has successfully managed to sabotage Donald Tusk's chances for reelection as president of the European council. It's a breathtakingly petty act by a diseased dwarf and his party of sycophantic toadies but it looks like it may work. Tusk has the support of Germany, Italy and France in addition to many smaller countries but PiS is adamantly opposed to his reelection and has been crawling up Theresa May's rear end in hopes she will support someone else. My fantasy is that Tusk isn't reelected, comes back to Poland and retakes the reigns of PO and proceeds to destroy PiS and imprison their leaders for the various constitutional violations they've committed since being elected.

As it turns out, nah.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Russia absolutely hating and detesting the Baltic states, collective population a bit over 5 million, will never stop being hilarious and terrifying. Can Russia hold back the existential threat that is Estonia?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I love how Putin just reflexively deflects any legit question by hinting that obviously the kid is some sort of agent. No one can be upset about corruption in russia without there being a foreign agent behind them feeding them these traitorous questions. And the saddest thing is that it works. This kid is going to be labeled unpatriotic, why does he hate russia, how much did they pay him to try to embarrass Putin like that? Do you think there isnt corruption in the west?? What about the iraq war! US are war criminals! Ukraine Junta!

And the kid is not even criticizing Russia itself, nor is he implying that the USA, Europe etc. are somehow better, he's just suggesting maybe Putin is being harmful in some ways. How dare he try to destabilize the internal political situation! Putin often yaps on about how criticism is perfectly allowed as long as it's "legal" and "constructive", well I don't know how much more non-threatening than that it can really get.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Isn't this type of rhetoric a characteristic of basically every dictator ever? Any time a citizen gets uppity or someone speaks out against the beloved leader he must be a western agent! It's on like page 1 of the dictator handbook.

Yes, and in addition these days the traitors can also be funded by the (((globalists))) or Soros. But that's mostly on the internet.

Today I love how Putin called Trump "supreme commander". Wonder if he called Obama that once during his eight years. Maybe it's just the same thing as commander-in-chief.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Had we not done what we did, we would have betrayed our civilization which our forefathers developed over centuries and who then spread it over vast territories.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

In the US, 49% of Republicans now consider Russia to be a friend or an ally and only 12% consider it to be an enemy.

http://www.bbc.com/russian/features-40489951?ocid=socialflow_facebook

I wonder if the enemy of their friend is also their enemy?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
What does he say at 0:46 and 0:52

Also does he call himself Trendy Andy or am I getting that wrong

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

SaltyJesus posted:

"They say he's the hero of Robert DeNiro. Mr President, they say you're the hero of Robert DeNiro."

also yeah, I think he says "I'm Trendy Andy" hahahah

I mean I thought it sounded more like DeNiro than anything but I just couldn't believe that was actually it. The more you know.

Surely with this video Poland has secured its place on the Western side of Molotov-Ribbentrop 2.0.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I guess it's worth something to note here that the EU-Ukraine AA was, in fact, finally approved recently. It will fully come into force in September or so.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

What's the general opinion of Viktor Orban? He seemed like a drat good patriot back in 1989.

He was one back then, but he is an rear end in a top hat wannabe Putin now, whether he really believes in being one or is just playing a role. These days he is remarkably much like the people he helped depose in 1989.

Then you've got the moron in the Czech Republic and Poland needs no introduction at this point. The V4 has really taken a nosedive in the 2010s, even though it hasn't really affected EU unity. Yet, anyway. Their position on migrants places a huge strain on others however, even if I understand migrants not wanting to move to those places. But maybe the Visegrad condition ATM is just a reflection of how much time it takes to truly transform societies politically.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 29, 2017

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
RT will be forced to register as a foreign agent in the USA.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/350226-russian-network-rt-must-register-as-foreign-agent-in

RT is not pleased about it.

quote:

"The war the US establishment wages with our journalists is dedicated to all the starry-eyed idealists who still believe in freedom of speech. Those who invented it, have buried it,” Margarita Simonyan, RT’s editor-in-chief, said about the registration.

RIP freedom of speech :(

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's history. Putin is now. Putin is going to die of age soonish, and where the hell will that leave a Russia now more chauvinistic than ever?

Eh, dude is turning 65 in a few weeks and aside from having a stressful job lives a pretty healthy lifestyle as far as I can tell. He's probably going to live until 80 or something.

We may differ in our interpretation of "soonish" though.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
So Poroshenko signed a language law according to which all students in Ukraine will, starting from 2020, only study in Ukrainian from the fifth grade onward. They will still be able to study their potential native languages that are different than Ukrainian on the side, but that is the main gist of the law. Other EE states didn't take it very well. The Romanian president cancelled his trip to Ukraine as well as Poroshenko's trip to Romania, and yesterday Hungary's FM said that his country will in retaliation be blocking "all" Ukrainian attempts to get closer to the EU in the future. I'm sure Poland was also pissed in some way or another.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/ukraines-president-signs-controversial-education-law-50096090

Now I can see the point on both sides of this, and maybe it's easy for me to say as a person not from any of these countries, but seems to me like now would be the time to just accept the law as it is. I'm not sure it should have been signed, but it was. Helping Ukraine consolidate its national identity should probably be more important right now than bickering over national minorities numbering in the hundreds of thousands. But seeing as it is EE, it's all probably about to all go to hell. The language used and the tantrum thrown by the Hungarians is embarrassing, as there are like 150 000 Hungarians living in Ukraine.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Wikipedia opinion poll aggregates tell me Zeman could actually lose the second round in the Czech Republic, is this likely to happen?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Russia bars 'extremist' British comedy The Death of Stalin
They couldn't get better marketing than this.

"We don't have censorship". *Bans film containing mocking portrayal of dictator*.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 27, 2018

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
People know hideously little about geography and things get mixed up. Why, on this very board I've seen people talking about the Balkans when meaning the Baltics.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

And so that we don't forget:

quote:

Korobov's predecessor, Igor Sergun, died suddenly on January 3, 2016.

Must be a stressful gig.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Maybe I'm placing too much faith into diplomatic :decorum: in TYOL 2018, but I just think the Russian army blitzing its way through Eastern and Southern Ukraine all the way to Kyiv would be a bit too much in terms of a raw display of power. Not in terms of what the West would think about it, mind you, but what Putin considers to be the larger Russian nation (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus). What I mean is that yes, it would definitely deliver Ukraine under Russian control, but also it would be such a blatant forced occupation of a people that were considered "brotherly" to the Russians just five years ago that I can't see it happening.

The Novorossiya project and trying to split Ukraine into two greatly relied on the Russians facing practically no to very little resistance in Ukraine, but after it turned out that wouldn't be the case, they can't afford the kind of immense public image damage that a full-blown invasion would entail. It would forever ruin any kind of hope for Ukraine returning to the Russian sphere under diplomatic means, which could still conceivably happen under the present circumstances after a long enough time has passed. Russia cannot afford what a full-blown invasion would forever do to the image of Russia in the eyes of Ukrainians, who would have to be slaughtered in huge numbers in the case of such an invasion.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

I must say that the Polish authorities' choice to turn Poland into "Russia but not quite as bad, smaller, weaker and on the Western side" is, well, it is a strategy of some kind. They have balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

2019s gonn be helluva year

Is there any other kind at this point