Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Interesting news and conjecture out of Poland. Apparently Poland was completely sidelined by the EU. Polish PM’s call for an extraordinary EU summit in Belarus was dismissed as arrogant, especially in light of the ongoing breaches of the rule of law in the country. Tikhanovskaya’s exit was negotiated by Lithuanian PM, who has visited Belarus a month ago and is reported to be on talking terms with Luka, under the auspices of the US, who don’t want the situation in Belarus to change drastically. By all indications, Lithuania’s in the drivers sear for the EU on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Things picked up much earlier today. Looks like mostly women out protesting in white with flowers, OMON seems to be at a loss what to do.

Edit: just as I wrote this...

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1293540275730755584?s=21

https://twitter.com/positivehater1/status/1293551590016724998?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 12, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My favorite today in this gloom. Guy gets released by crowd, women in white surround riot cops and shower them with flowers.

https://twitter.com/romanvillaitaly/status/1293591256300490760?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I also understand sonic weapons were going to be used or are being used. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I have not seen a single image out of hundreds I’ve seen in the last 4 days that would indicate anything of the sort.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lots of factories, including MA3, have walked out today. Protesters out on the street basically since before noon. EU ambassadors laid flowers on the spot where a protester was killed. Evening convoy of anti-riot troops, as every day, is making its way into Minsk.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Women getting released from the torture jail in Minsk atm. A line of ambulances is going in and out of the prison.

Some mire or less likely conjecture flowing around. Reportedly, there are around 30 bodies in morgues in Minsk. Riot police and military have been reported to be leaving the city. In less likeLy gossip, there are rumors of a military coup (thus the release of prisoners) and movement of military forces to the russian border,

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Workers marching on government buildings now, live feeds available from Belsat and Euronews.

https://twitter.com/euronews/status/1294266503035064322?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 14, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

I might be jaded as gently caress and hope to god I'm wrong but current rally in front of parliament is way too nice and peaceful to be true and for monster such as Luka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj2Ohs3cmUM

I just feel in my bones some vicious bullshit being planned, some sort of provocation or even terrorist act to justify everything during the week and what will follow.

Internet is now off and the clown car parade is on the way.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

According to motolko channel, they are actually leaving the Independance square vicinity as of 10 minutes ago.

They counted
8 military
6 avtozaks
9 buses
2 water cannons
2 vans of shield bearers
1 ambulance

Something fucky about it. Seems like some internal struggle maybe?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Topograhically, Belarus is a far better position to start a conflict than russians current borders. If russia were to continue to cause insurrection in Ukraine the dniper would become the new border, However with Belarus under absolute control the dniper is a non-issue for any future conflicts. Remember we're not talking about a conflict today, or tomorrow, or this year. The pieces are being placed for the next grand war of mobility. When will that happen? Unknown.

Russia knows for a loving fact they will not go toe to toe with any modern countries, so everything has to be networks of spies and intelligence gathering on a massive scale. We've seen that with the assassinations on British soil and american soil happening unabated for the most part. Russia is very good at winning battles without firing shots, Belarus is in a state of dismay right now, with parts of the security forces either quitting or joining the protests. poo poo is loving on fire, and with enough hand waving and enough bot spamming Belarus will be seen as a terrorist country that needs to be reigned in by the international community, oh and russia will administer the reigning since trump loves russia.

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Perfection.

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1294334174275481600?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr, why are you here and not getting in on the hot night stall chai action.

https://twitter.com/blxckmosquito/status/1294370786900422662?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

I am simply not prepared for this, Paladinus havent posted for a while, I hope he is ok

Paladinus is ok, he just posted before you.

https://twitter.com/pravdagaste/status/1294382983156322305?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Good read before tomorrow: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/14/women-belarus-take-protests-into-their-own-hands .

There’s a funeral noon local time for the first victim, then what’s shaping to be the biggest demonstration yet.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yikes

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_(1920)

It’s the anniversary of the Battle of Warsaw today, one of the few outright victories in Polish history, and a modern one against a major power. Just had some jets zoom over my house.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a super upsetting photo from AP from the murder of the protester Aleksandr Taraykovsky in Minsk, and apparently there’ll be a video released soon. The man was outright executed in the street.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 15, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a march planned to the factory during Luka’s visit. I can’t see him going forward with it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

State TV is on board.

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1294655201064955904?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

OMON has now arrived at the state TV building. This is the first showing for them since the street beatings stopped.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grape posted:

He's like a malfunctioning robot, rapidly and randomly shifting between his "gently caress RUSSIA" and "LOVE YOU RUSSIA" modes.

Various accounts I read on him indicate he’s this ratty, shifty dude that’ll always do anything to get ahead and save his skin, first and foremost.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nexta just posted a good primer on the Russia/Belarus thing:

quote:

10 REASONS WHY THERE WILL NOT BE AN INVASION OF RUSSIA

Lukashenko said that he would receive from Moscow “at our first request, comprehensive assistance to ensure the security of the Republic of Belarus,” and mentioned the CSTO in this regard. And now in detail why I do not believe in this horror story.

👉 Russia does not save the falling regimes with troops. To take out the leader - yes, to save the regime, which has no support base left - no.

The only exception is Syria, but there was already a civil war, and Russian troops did not occupy the territory, they mainly worked through airstrikes. Whom should we bomb? Workshops MTZ and Belaz? Or the striking Belteleradiocompany?

👉 Belarusians do not want external intervention and do not want to be part of Russia. Here is the most recent poll of the Academy of Sciences: for joining the Russian Federation - less than 7%. For a closer union - less than 25%. The rest are for the friendship of independent countries. Belarus is not Crimea, which, like, asked him to be saved from the Nazis. There will be no roses.

👉 A people who does not ask to be saved will have to be held back with great force. The occupation troops are tens of thousands of people. And if partisanship begins, which is almost inevitable in this case and on such a social upsurge - hundreds of thousands. And thousands of victims. There is simply no more gentle way.

👉 Such an intervention is the loss of the Belarusian people even longer than the Ukrainian one. A people who are friendly to Russia today. According to the polls of Vardomatsky's laboratory, more than 70% support the current format of relations - without borders and customs, only 5-7% - for breaking ties.

👉 Add to this the flow of coffins home, the claims of their own people, who have not been explained that Bandera's people are striving for power in Minsk, as well as the unprecedentedly severe sanctions of the West.

👉 And all for what? For the sake of not leaving Belarus to the EU? Today's opposition is not in favor of this. And this is absurd given the current dependence of Minsk on Moscow. Leaving the EAEU and closing access to the Russian market means stopping the entire economy for a month. We owe Russia more than 70% of our external debt.

👉 The invasion does not solve the problem of internal stability either. The workers will not return to the factories, there will be a collapse of the banking system, tens of billions will have to be injected for humanitarian needs. And these are five Crimea by population. Recall that the Russian economy has not yet recovered itself after the coronavirus.

👉 The protesters do not come out with anti-Russian or pro-Western slogans. There is no such agenda at all. The Kremlin is not blind and sees this. Russia has accepted the results of the same unrelated revolutions in Kyrgyzstan and Armenia.

Moscow is always reorienting itself to the winning side. Especially realizing that this side is no more hostile than the authorities taking Russian citizens as hostages for the elections.

👉 Read the Kremlin's statement after your morning conversation with Lukashenko. There is a lot about friendship between peoples and enemies, but not a word about support for the current Belarusian president. The Kremlin has taken a wait-and-see attitude.

👉 For lawyers. The CSTO Charter does not provide for military assistance without external aggression (an armed attack threatening security, stability, territorial integrity and sovereignty) against a member state. Lukashenka blamed the Russians for this throughout the campaign and is now trying to portray a threat from the West.

But it is even difficult to come up with it in this situation. According to rumors, high-ranking Russians and Europeans are already calling up and laughing at these stories. A hybrid attack from the Telegram channel NEXTA is not spelled out in the CSTO charter.

P.S. In order to prevent such a scenario in the future, in case of victory, the transitional Belarusian authorities should not touch Soviet monuments, change symbols or cancel the state status of the Russian language in euphoria. But given that there will be a lot of things to do, and according to all available polls, these measures in Belarus are not supported by the majority, I see no reason to think that the transitional government will go crazy and start doing this at all.

https://twitter.com/rprose/status/1294706324937281537?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s a person getting killed, you mind NSWing it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Government demonstration was a failure. Many train and busses came in empty and it looks like around 3 thousand people at most were there.

Batka showed up and claimed for 30 minutes that Belarus will die without him and NATO forces are amassed at the border. His column left the city swiftly after that.

Meanwhile, the opposition rally is gathering around Minsk and looks to be the biggest to date.

Also, I find it super lovely that neither Brown Moses, nor the mods have enough decency to put the AP video of Aliaksandr Taraikouski’s gory death behind at least a spoiler tag.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 16, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

At least 100.000 now, as opposed to Luka’s ~3000.

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1294974138331930624?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

He edited it right away. On desktop only the hyperlink is displayed because BM added the nsw tag. But I think the Awful app ignores it.

Apologies then if that’s the case. Awful app indeed doesn’t seem to show it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Batka’s banter with the crowd:

- Do you want freedom?
- No!
- Do you want changes?
- No!
- Do you want reforms?
- No!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/cmuncharaz/status/1295019563466264578?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is such a brazen provocation, the mind boggles.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There are joint military maneuvers planned in the west of Belarus. Convenient, but not necessarily ominous.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Luka’s speech at the factory went as well as expected; he got booed by the workers.

Sheer art.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1295287751957516294?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 17, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The government has apparently stepped down. I don’t know if this is standard after election reshuffle though, or related to the demonstrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Difficult moments outside the jail in Minsk today where most of the tortures took place and where prisoners are still being held. While a demonstration that marched there wanted to surround the jail and exert pressure on the guards inside to release prisoners, the volunteers and clergy that were staking the jail out and maintained a support village for those being released blocked off access, claiming the demonstrators making noise will embolden the guards to further torture their victims. A standoff ensued, with the clergy and volunteers forming a chain to block the demonstrators off.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The current comitee, as per Nexta:

Olga Kovalkova - confidant of Svetlana Tikhanovskaya
Maxim Znak - lawyer
Maria Kolesnikova - coordinator of Victor's headquarters
Svetlana Aleksievich - Nobel laureate in literature
Lyudmila Antonovskaya - Chairman of the Innovative Instrument Making Association.
Pavel Belous - founder and owner of Symbal.by
Ales Bialiatski is a human rights activist, chairman of the Viasna human rights center.
Andrey Vitushko - pediatric resuscitator, candidate of medical sciences.
Pavel Daneiko - Managing Director of the IPM Group of Companies.
Svetlana Kalinkina is a journalist.
Sergei Chaly is an independent analyst and economist.
Dmitry Kruk - economist
Anna Sevyarynets - teacher, writer, literary critic
Vladimir Tsesler - artist
Yulia Chernyavskaya - culturologist, professor

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Another fatality confirmed by the government. A teenager died after being hit by a car on the 16th, while participating in the protests. Kinda strange, since no one saw or reported on it.

Also, a museum worker and a member of one of the electoral commissions who refused to sign falsified protocols was found murdered.

Pro- Luka rally in Gomel. Factory managers also under pressure to cower workers into not striking, in some cases locking them up in factories.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Striking state broadcaster employees were not let into the building today. They instead found they’ve been replaced by “two planeloads” of russian media workers now manning their positions.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The demonstration ran for 9 days straight, they had to run out of steam eventually, these are also first days of less than perfect weather - it was warm a sunny throughout, up until yesterday. Luka still commands a seizable government apparatus, and it took *9 days* for him to be able to muster any response other than OMON. Now it’s a matter of how well the opposition will rally on the next weekend.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This reminds me of when I tried facilitating an extremely rare collectors item sale to a businessmen in Sweden. We had a couple guys physically procuring this WW2 era gate sign in southern Poland but the business man insisted on paying in three installments so the numb-nuts split the sign in three pieces. Talk about value loss!

https://i.imgur.com/XS5LK.gifv

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

80% Batka running around with a gun :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I wonder if these pictures come curtesy of the russian propagandists. They sure seem to be getting a point across, just not Batka’s point, necessarily.