Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Haha, the geo data in that image is also a good attempt, but not quiet. They went for the Polish military HQ, but instead located in the university next door. I guess they thought glass dome, palace exteriors = must be military HQ. The actual HQ is a non-descript, modernist building down the road. And further down on that road, there’s the security service HQ, too.

Fun fact: I went to high school on that street. Our studniówka, Polish prom I guess, was held in the closest viable place - a Police billards club “Magnum” that normally holds lonely heart afternoons for ex cops in the evening (aside from the military and security HQ, there’s also the central Police crime laboratory next door). It had 80’s woodshit on the walls, and they moved some of the billiard tables aside so we could dance our Polonez.

Also Kazik Staszewski lived next door, and seeing him every morning walking his dog blew our heads for, like, the first two weeks.

https://youtu.be/x3kicEsx7g0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Also, a XIXth century style scary orphanage is on the same street. Famous for being visited by Michael Jackson.

Street is cursed is what I’m saying, also because I rented across the street from the orphanage for a few years.

Haha, I know your building :D. Our school yard shared a wall with the orphanage on the left (they renovated it and it’s a conservatory apparently, nice on, too) and a juvie jail on the right. Whichever wall we’d kick the ball over, it probably wasn’t coming back.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

This constant moving troops to and from the border makes me think Russians are doing the classic caracole maneuver against Ukraine, except they're not firing their shots.

This is exactly what they’re doing and have been doing for the past few months. There’s a bit more to setting up a military operation.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

FishBulbia posted:

EU signing off on it

https://tass.com/world/1389297

The United States and the European Union are not considering an option of disconnecting Russia from SWIFT and are discussing target economic sanctions against the largest Russian banks instead, Handelsblatt newspaper reported on Monday, citing sources in the German government.

Disconnecting SWIFT would be satisfying from a ‘haha, gently caress you’ perspective, but what they say in the article is correct - it would also hurt western markets and would accelerate Russia building an alternative system with other asian countries. Instead it gives insight into Russian financial operations and allows for a more targeted approach - only thing is it hasn’t really been used properly yet, the sanctions system is lackluster at best.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ru675#2a81cd2a

For some reason a Russian cargo airplane flew yesterday from Moscow to Leipzig via this route, which has caught a lot of media attention in Finland. Finnish Air Force says the plane was following flight plan, which isn't much of an explanation.

This route took the plane suspiciously close to Finnish Air Force HQ in central Finland, so dunno, signal intelligence or just a random nothingburger?

It's certainly unusual, considering the standard route this flight number takes and the fact they did end up close to some off-limits areas in Finland. There'a a theory floating around that they were flying to Murmansk, couldn't land due to weather or some technical issues and opted to fly back to Leipzig, where Air Bridge Cargo has a base and where this flight normally terminates at, but the flight parameters and other patterns don't seem to agree.

What I'm saying is: if this was a coincidence, then it was a hell of one.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Chechnya 1994: 1 milion
Afghanistan 1979: 13 million
Syria 2010: 21 milion
Afghanistan 2001: 21 million
Ukraine 2021: 41 million

C'mon Russia, have a forever war.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

BoldFace posted:

Eh... this is much more pleasant than what the troops from northern Russia ared used to in January.

Huh. Meanwhile in Poland:

https://twitter.com/sob_pl/status/1484110811433943040?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This thread was always fine and is fine even with a little Clancy chat (as a treat). When it’s too much, it’s kinda clear to everyone. Two permanent EE threads are not the way, smart and active moderation is. If Donbas global powerplay chat happens, it needs to be redirected to a new thread for a few weeks and brought back when things relax. Active moderation is always preferable.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 22, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For actual developments, instead of analytical commentary - Reuters, Associated Press.

Yeah, honestly the big news organisations seem to take extra effort to filter out propaganda and other detritus from the news when it comes to EE. Conversely, straying into “independent media” territory will send you into one of the numerous agitprop traps set up by any one of the dozen governments involved.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/MatasMaldeikis/status/1485569942023983109?s=20

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Why would he deploy 8500 troops if he declared no boots on Ukrainian soil? To prevent incursions into actual NATO states?

For now, he’s placing troops on alert, so that they can be readily deployed if needed.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's important to note re: Russians in EE that the Baltics and Ukraine are in a unique position versus other EE countries, in that they have a significant minority of Russians in their population, where's Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Hungary have none (aside from transient workers, which are still very few and far between).

Now, in my personal Polish experience, it's super easy to latch on to common negative propaganda about Russians, because it's the dominating view, and since there are no Russians around to confront it with, that's what most people would go with. Conversely, older people who remember when Russians were around, have a warmer recollection of Russians just because of the human contact factor.

And having said THAT, I found every Russian I ever met, in Poland or in the west, not particularly pleasant or making me feel like I'd want to spend more time with them, but that might be very well on me, not them.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Uhh I don't know about that, it's the older people who would remember the Russians rolling into their countries on tanks

Depends which country. Poland was invaded by Russians in 1939 - my grandparents were kids and came of age after World War 2, so Russian-ran Poland was their reality. Now had they been born in Hungary, they'd live through the 1956 invasion, so their take might have been different. And if my parent would live in Czechoslovakia in 1968, I imagine their outlook would have been different, too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Western media outlets are uncontrolled and dependent on clicks. Hysterics generate traffic, which is a downside of this system, but still outweighs the cons from having an autocratic media landscape. It plays into Putin's hand, though, because he can manipulate western media easily, cause fear in western populations, which then exert pressure on western governments to negotiate with Russia to avert a war.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Seems like Croatian infighting more than anything else, though TASS and the troll farm latched onto it immediately

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Russian embassy in Georgia got trolled.

https://twitter.com/propeertys/status/1486429802957529090?s=21

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/mic_marek/status/1486613411618299909?s=20&t=_rBs-NQOWTvkfvL44bw0Jg

Russian press are onto a ploy, wherein tactical plans are revelead *checks notes*... on a commemorative coin?

In the height of the border crisis, in order to drum up patriotism, the Polish mint released a border forces coin. Apparently it's symbolic that the chopper is shown hovering over Kaliningrad, and is a clear sign the Poles are planning to invade.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 28, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Should this be pork, veal, chicken or turkey?
Would you throw a fried egg on it?
How about yellow cheese? Mushrooms?
What side would go best with it?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, you were just the goon I was looking for. Can you tl;dr me current stage of the PiS spyware drama and your parliamentary inquest?

There’s a senate inquest going, since the opposition has a slim majority there. Sadly, the senate’s inquiry doesn’t have prosecutorial rights, and can’t obligate anybody to anything. PiS is ignoring it, but they’ve also blocked an independent security expert from a military academy from testifying by threatening him with who knows what.

The parliament inquiry is actively pursued by Tusk and it seems there’s currently an even split for/against. Paweł Kukiz, a burnt out alcoholic rock star and once political darling, now PiS’s whore, turned the table on them and promised his vote in exchange for the chairman’s seat and scope extension so that POs use of invigilation tools is also within it. PO is fine with that. We’re now waiting for defections to either kill the inquiry or kick poo poo off.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

How are u posted:

What sort of sauce traditionally goes on these delightful looking things?

I’d hazard a guess that in EE you mostly would not have sauce because of the breading. Some horrible 90’s roadside bar’s would sometimes attempt a cream and mushrooms sauce.

As a kid I remember these would produced en masse for a family gathering - you’s get mashed potatos and a tomato or a piece of salad with. The thing is the babcia’s would churn out like 50 of these bad boys for the whole family and bring them out in a miednica (an oval bucket you’d normally do you clothes washing in because no one would own plates that big)

In Warsaw, traditionally they’re done super simple - pork, breading, mashed potatoes and either mizeria (fresh sliced cucumber in cream with sugar) or peas and carrots. You can grab a plate at a milk bar for 3 EUR.

I expected there to be differences but I’m shocked by what I’m seeing. Mayonnaise would never occur to me. Also, in the Rhein-Ruhr region, chicken is the default, which I don’t think even exists in Poland (not to be confused with chicken kiev, which does, albeit not in a form where you use a wooden hammer to smash it super flat).

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

szary posted:

Sauce on a schabowy? What is this heresy!?

Is melted cheese sauce? 🤔

Edit: sweet jezusiczku, this is some morbid poo poo https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...mobile&ie=UTF-8

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I remember having a schnitzel with green sauce in Frankfurt, which is apparently a thing there and that also doesn’t work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fra...8&bih=751&dpr=3

Also is schnitzel and schabowy the same thing

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

selec posted:

That’s a tenderloin. Here in Iowa (and much of the Midwest) it’s pork, served on a bun, with fries. Typical condiments include ketchup, mustard or Mayo.

What sort of bun. Like a brioche burger bun or something else? They go VERY well between two slices of sourbread.

And the condiments, these would go onto the meat or as a side for the fries?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What’s your favorite eastern European food, friend? I think it’s helpful to note most jewish cuisine is tied to EE, too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

e: Also:

Pork, chicken only if you can't get real meat. No other ingredients on it (POSSIBLY, if you're feeling VERY posh, you can scatter some shredded parmegianno over it), but serve it with either the potato salad or creamy mashed potatos with bits of fried onion. Alternatively, the perfect travel meal - stick it between two slices of bread that optionally can have a very thin layer of mustard. Pickles optional, having a drink handy recommended.

Oh yeah, you get it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think if anything we’re far far away from a consensus

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Na zdrowie! Smacznego!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Warsaw used to have a bollard affair back in the late 90s, kinda like the Zagreb one it seems. Whole city was strewn with dark green bollards, none of which are around today.

Once highway construction kicked off a few years ago, we had a country version of bollard gate - noise screen gate. You now have 100 km long stretches of highways running through empty nowheres, surrounded by 6 meter tall non-transparent fencing. This was due to some very strange, “accidental” environmental regulations and people standing at the ready with a seemingly endless supply of highway noise barriers.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

selec posted:

Highly relevant to this thread’s interests, check the third picture

https://twitter.com/_restaurant_bot/status/1489462504396922881?s=21

I don’t think its breaded and as long as its cheese on top and not more cream, I’ll allow it, though I would seriously question the paprika.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sekenr posted:

At first I thoght the salad was the remains of kholodnik cold soup but all I see is cucumber so, probably not

The salad is mizeria - light cream and fresh cucumber slices, with a dash of sugar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizeria

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Strangely enough mizeria seems to be of italian origin - insalate della miseria - so it’s quiet likely we got it from Bona di Sforza along with, you know, the rest of non-potato vegetables.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hm this does’t look familiar. There’s a strong demarcation on the Polish-Ukrainian border, where, when you go east, “things served in the vessel they were baked in” territory starts.

No, bigos doesn’t count.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tusk started out on the right, then moved centre-right, and he’s somhere centre-left these days.

I’m driving from south to north across Poland along the eastern border right now, there’s so much military traffic going both ways I stopped counting. Just went by a convoy of two AAA launchers heading south.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In the pots warmed the bigos; mere words cannot tell
Of its wondrous taste, colour and marvellous smell.
One can hear the words buzz, and the rhymes ebb and flow,
But its content no city digestion can know.
To appreciate the Lithuanian folksong and folk food,
You need health, live on land, and be back from the wood.
Without these, still a dish of no mediocre worth
Is bigos, made from legumes, best grown in the earth;
Pickled cabbage comes foremost, and properly chopped,
Which itself, is the saying, will in one's mouth hop;
In the boiler enclosed, with its moist bosom shields
Choicest morsels of meat raised on greenest of fields;
Then it simmers, till fire has extracted each drop
Of live juice, and the liquid boils over the top,
And the heady aroma wafts gently afar.
Now the bigos is ready. With triple hurrah
Charge the huntsmen, spoon-armed, the hot vessel to raid,
Brass thunders and smoke belches, like camphor to fade,
Only in depths of cauldrons, there still writhes there later
Steam, as if from a dormant volcano's deep crater.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Speaking of UKPol, Boris is coming to Poland Thursday to talk about Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey mods, I think we’ll take the EE hang-out thread over this cesspool. Maybe rename this one to Russia vs Ukraine or vice versa.