Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

What's the current estimate of the number of Russian troops in Ukraine up to right now? I'm arguing with a guy who claims there are only 52, citing some lovely-looking video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Are you certain that he is interested in hearing you out?

That, and i'd like to know as well since I fell out of news about the conflict.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sergiu64 posted:

Supposedly Ukrainian units are getting some kind of new home made AT equipment: http://www.diamantova-ledi.top/?p=1742

Anyone know anything the effectiveness of these?

They sort of resemble Konkurs or Kornet ATGMs to my dumb eyes. I'd read that Ukroboronprom was trying to develop new AT Missiles as well as a load of other prjects, but with no information beyond a few model numbers. It's worth noting that Ukraine provided a lot of high technology to Russia, like certain types of radar and laser guidance proponents, and the conflict meant that Russia is unable to receive a lot of it (though I doubt it has any measurable effect).

It's strange suddenly getting information challenging the norm with these conflicts. For years, Russia bragged that Abrams cannot hurt T-90 xaxaxa)))) and it seemed legit, but there are videos in Syria of TOW-2s cutting right through T-90 Shtora and ERA for kill hits.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 7, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fair points. I guess I meant it "legit" in terms of "it could compete in some capacity."

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Do you mean that video where a TOW hits a T-90, and the a member of the crew comes out ? It didn't look like a kill and it certainly didn't penetrate.

That's one of them, but it didn't look like a kill. Trying to find the other ones, but they were posted by a guy who got banned from the miltalk forum I go to.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Libluini posted:

Man, considering most NATO-nations don't even reach their minimum spending goals, the Russians are in for a surprise. Right now, mostly thanks to what happens in Ukraine, some nations have stopped spending cuts, some have very slowly started spending more and the rest doesn't give a poo poo.

If that has changed during the last months, I'm prepared to be very surprised. :colbert:

Last I heard, as far NATO defense goes, Germany had an agreement with France where they were supposed to have a combined 15 ready battalions (Originally, Germany was supposed to have 15 on its own). They each have maybe 4 or 5 under-strength battalions each, and a good chunk of France's is motorized. Eastern and Central Europe have been picking up a lot of slack.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Yeah, seemed journalists and protesters outnumbered participants.

Guessing it's their version of a WBC Protest, then.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Same, except my american history teacher was a lazy know-nothing who substituted actual teaching with films like Apocalypse Now and just assumed we learned poo poo.

My 9th Grade history teacher was also the football coach. My favorite instance was during Black History Month when an African-American studies professor came in to give us a talk and watch a video. It went find until the end when he shared a gem of wisdom along the lines of: "Don't forget, this is still fairly recent, barely 40 years ago. Some of these guys are still alive. Hell, Malcolm X looks better now than he did thirty years ago." The professor didn't say a word after that, since we corrected him almost immediately. I think he mixed Malcolm up with Farrakhan or something.

This didn't give hope when our World Cultures teacher was the wrestling coach. Fortunately, his wife was like stupid rich and they went all over the world and he could relate a lot of his experiences. The Eastern Europe section was particularly interesting because he did relief work there when he was younger, including some of the conflicts in former Yugoslavia.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a good quote for a KKK member, funny enough.

That's what we thought of first, including my mom when I told her.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wow, why even give Ray McGovern the time of day? He didn't even put up an attempt at any sort of evidence. Just the usual conspiracy theory hand-wringing of "they have it they just won't show it" and "This has been proven to be false" without any contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anos posted:

Jews enabled the sacrifice that led to the salvation of humanity and we have been giving them poo poo for it ever since. urgh now we have to go to heaven, loving assholes.

I've always wondered since I was a little kid why Romans/Italians catch no blame for it whatsoever. The placement of the Vatican probably has something to do with it.