Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Baloogan posted:

a goon said that the DDOS is from russia and is due to brown moses. world's first D&DOS.

If you're referring to my post, that was empty speculation based on the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Copying over a post from the Right Wing Media thread:

quote:

Wash. man accidentally kills himself while taking a selfie with his gun, police say

Why is this relevant to Eastern Europe? Guess where the problem of selfie death is most severe!(India, technically, but hey)

quote:

In Russia, where a woman almost died after inadvertently shooting herself while posing for a photo with a gun she had found, Russia’s Internal Affairs Ministry published a brochure instructing citizens on safe selfie habits.

“A selfie with guns kills,” read the warning next to an image of a stick figure holding a camera and a gun, slashed out by a red line.

“Along with all the advantages of the modern world there appear new threats,” Russian official Yelena Alekseyeva said at a news conference, according to CNN. “We would like to remind the citizens that the chase for ‘likes’ in social networks can lead to the road of death.”

I feel like these are good avatar material. If only there was one with a stick figure and a SAM, we could give it to BM...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Also I think Russia is a paper tiger that would lose war against any moderately competent NATO military such as Turkey.

I think that might be possible too, but I'd also really like to not find out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Baloogan posted:

russia is never as weak or as strong as she appears

Look deep into my Mirror of Aissur, thread, and tell me what you see.

Is Russia Stronk? Is it Weak? Is it a friend of whistleblowers? Is it a police state? Where is its sphere? Where is its BUK? The truth lies within...Tell us your innermost Russia desire.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The massive Atlantic piece that's been making the rounds has a substantial section devoted to Putin and the Ukrainian invasion. The quote below is just the start:

quote:

The president’s unwillingness to counter the baiting by American adversaries can feel emotionally unsatisfying, I said, and I told him that every so often, I’d like to see him give Vladimir Putin the finger. It’s atavistic, I said, understanding my audience. “It is,” the president responded coolly. “This is what they’re looking for.” He described a relationship with Putin that doesn’t quite conform to common perceptions. I had been under the impression that Obama viewed Putin as nasty, brutish, and short. But, Obama told me, Putin is not particularly nasty.

“The truth is, actually, Putin, in all of our meetings, is scrupulously polite, very frank. Our meetings are very businesslike. He never keeps me waiting two hours like he does a bunch of these other folks.” Obama said that Putin believes his relationship with the U.S. is more important than Americans tend to think. “He’s constantly interested in being seen as our peer and as working with us, because he’s not completely stupid. He understands that Russia’s overall position in the world is significantly diminished. And the fact that he invades Crimea or is trying to prop up Assad doesn’t suddenly make him a player. You don’t see him in any of these meetings out here helping to shape the agenda. For that matter, there’s not a G20 meeting where the Russians set the agenda around any of the issues that are important.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Not many, although I've probably muted several hundred people on Twitter who would send me that sort of thing. I prefer muting, then they've no idea I can't see what they're saying, and still get to see all the stuff I'm doing that irritates them enough to send me abuse.

For those of you interested I did a presentation at the Guardian today about open source and social media investigation, you can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5Al4-HK5g&t=1332s

As you'll be able to see, I've been getting carried away with Keynote.

Your presentation skills keep improving- that was some really impressive stuff!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Be careful BM, while this is fantastic yuk fodder, you run the risk of seeming salty if you do it too much. (also what's the music source?)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks to all those of you who came to the event today, apologies I couldn't stick around to talk but I was being dragged from one place to the next, which has become a regular feature of my life.

I can imagine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh, good grief.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I had some respect for Wikileaks but "GEORGE SOROS USA KKKAPITALIST CIA JEW FRONT!!!!" poo poo just sinks their credibility to zero. You'd think they'd be all excited about more people leaking information about the horrible elites that ruin the world and see them as allies. I didn't know wikileaks was idiotic enough to subscribe to the whole "USA = bad, so anyone who opposed the USA = GOOD". jew soros cia say putin bad? Proof putin GOOD!

It's basically their entire ethos.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Radio Prune posted:

How much stuff has Wikileaks leaked regarding Russia, leading figures within the Russian state, or related to Russia's international allies?

A glance at wikipedia's history of wikileaks releases is all I've done, so others can answer this question more thoroughly. That said, it looks like Assange talked about leaking something adverse to the Kremlin's interests in late 2010, and then gave the info to Novaya Gazeta-I can't tell if it ever materialized. The word "Russia" doesn't come up in any of their material.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sparatuvs posted:

Eastern Europe: I don't know, but it definitely means ww3 starts tomorrow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Eastern Europe: You. Me. Everyone. Hitler. Don't ask how it works.

Now, that is a good thread title. Actually, is it short enough to be the D&D subtitle?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

kalstrams posted:

It's a coin based on folk tale about hedgehog. Long story short, childless family suddenly did get a hedgehog son named Sonic, who helped them by herding their pigs in the forest. Then Sonic he scammed local king riding through a forest to marry his daughter. The daughter on the marriage night did burn Sonic's his needle coat. This made Sonic him suffer until the morning, upon which he turned into a handsome guy, and they lived happily forever after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HszDJE7b4

I think that got retconned when Penders sued Archie.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Why is Russia trolling our forces with extremely close flybys as if to dickwave in our faces? What would it hope to gain from this? Doesn't it know better than to provoke a loving war? Is it a French-style prestige ploy?

Domestic propaganda consumption, coupled with believing their own domestic propaganda.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Can you see the Ecuadorian consulate from there? Got a clean shot at the balcony? Asking for a friend.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

slavatuvs posted:

He fought with a Chetnik unit in Bosnia that was responsible for crimes against humanity. He is wanted in the US for drug trafficking.

Pick better heroes

Check his post history and move on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The title, and the reference to Trump, made me assume that the adviser's fashion choices were somehow a security risk. Like they had a target pattern on them, or football codes, or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am actually curious what a monument designed to unambiguously glorify and promote child soldiering would look like. For a friend, I mean.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

:japan::hf::poland:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is going to make the next time they start attacking you in the press all the sweeter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've said it a few times now; if you haven't experienced the effects of a state with near-universal state control of the media, it's hard to understand its effects on the civic consciousness.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's a shame the sources aren't more valid, then.

loga mira posted:

People voted for Putin when there was no semi-total control, just a guy Yeltsin pulled out of nowhere, and his vouching was more of a negative. But that is a good point, and I often say that someone who never belonged to a group that was the focus of a massive propaganda machine, should not judge harshly those who were.

This Bloodshit (loving hell) guy's thread in QCS is how I got here, and while that's a regrettable posting style of questionable sincerity it's hardly worse than saying most Russians are peasants or admitting that you hope our lives get worse and worse until Russia is no longer a threat to NATO countries.

Well, most Russians are extremely poor by most metrics; Russia has worse economic inequality than anywhere else on earth, I believe.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My bad, it's just worse than any of the other larger developed nations.

Regarde Aduck posted:

To be fair it works the other way as well. Most of the UK media is owned by Murdoch who is very much a kingmaker within this country. Corporate control, state control. Pick your poison.

Corporate control every time, accepting the assumption of unilaterality- there's more than one corporation, and they don't have armies.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 18, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Weirdly, to my knowledge the US is one of the only large, cybernetically equipped powers that doesn't do this- they tried similar things specific to ISIS, but the public and congressional response was so negative that the program was shut down. We have propaganda outlets through thinks like Radio Free X, but the basic strategy is to report accurate information that hurts the target regime's narrative, presented as news, in ways that are easy for target regime subjects to access, then let the superior information do the rest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Septimius posted:

It's so surreal to me that that Trump's support is so high. Whenever he's mentioned to me here in San Francisco, it's almost always with a mix of contempt and embarrassment.

Regional variance in support matching political self-identity.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Eastern Europe: The truce is going well. One civilian was killed.

:sigh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am visualizing a 1940s fishmech being bundled into an MP car, protesting all the way, and it is glorious.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm the sonic adventure 2 t-shirt.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Looks like Trump's immigration banlist just expanded.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 30, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Who's the dude with the baller cane?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Smolensk?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Do folks have any thoughts on Sputnik? It seems to be a new generation of RT- with more thought and craft going into its propaganda.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Romania wants the English to move to Romania it seems. Other perks include over 50% of their young adults speak English and they have really good food and clean, safe streets.

"Surprisingly safe streets", mind you. It's a fantastic, bizzare ad campaign.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Surprisingly for what, vampires lurking?

"Surprisingly few vampires" is also a plank of the campaign.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Are they saying Prince Charles actually isn't one?

"we got Prince Charles here" is the very first thing they mention in giving their pitch.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have honestly always wanted to go to Transylvania. I have heard its beautiful country with lots of sites and sights. plus dracula.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

See if you can coordinate with Niantic/Pokemon Company to accelerate releases in Ukraine/Russia. Make the Kremlin a gym. Also the area just outside the gate of Ecuador's London embassy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Informative!

BM, what are the odds that some of these people are genuinely independent of the state propaganda apparatus and are just drinking the kool-aid?

*edited to not hotlink the propaganda blog, now that I've thought the consequences through

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 14, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Brown Moses is the coup. Enjoy your new position as Ataturk II: Electric Boogaloo, BM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know enough about Gulen and his allies to know whether him being behind the coup is feasible. The opposition parties backing the Erdogan government is so strange.