Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
glad to hear it's ok to force planes that could be carrying dissidents to land as long as it's not done by a mig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Somaen posted:

Europe is forcing all Belavia planes to land right now by closing their airspace :( :( :( Is there no limit to the evil of the fascist coalition

i mean, it is an incredibly dumb measure. if you're stuck in belarus you have to fly to moscow first now, all this does is give more money to russian oligarchs lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xarn posted:

guys guys guys guys

We were so stupid.

We could've just given Sudetenland to Hitler and there would've been no WW2. How did we not think of this? Can you imagine how great the world could've been if we did that instead of fighting the war?

Wait, what? Why are you all laughing at me?

comparing putin, as bad as he is, to hitler is insanely loving rich, so yes i am laughing at you lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think the solution to this conundrum is to give a couple hundred nukes to both ukraine and cuba

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, merkel shutting down all nukes before she could get them replaced with renewables was insanely dumb, but are stated green policies any different on that particular topic?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not blaming anything on greens i'm asking if their policies on nuclear are just as dumb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
like, i'm 100% sure part of the reason why the green parties get fuckall in elections so far despite the ecological situation being insanely dire is how hysteric they can present themselves over issues like nuclear

just this morning some insane person was asking me why i don't care about what will happen to spent radioactive fuel in 10k years when the continents shift and tectonics change, lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

Nuclear is politically entirely dead in Germany, not just economically dead due to the extreme costs. That is the reality across parties

i dunno man

quote:

Kurz vor der Bundestagswahl erreicht der Strompreis hierzulande ein neues Allzeithoch. Drei Viertel der Deutschen fordern von der nächsten Bundesregierung deshalb einen Strompreis-Stopp. Dafür würde jeder Dritte (31 Prozent) sogar an der Atomkraft festhalten – 11 Prozentpunkte mehr als noch vor drei Jahren.

another decade of price hikes and germans are gonna be staunch nuclear supporters lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Historical price hikes and 30% support, thanks for proving that nuclear is more dead than disco

jesus christ dude, thanks for explaining my joke in such great detail

Antigravitas posted:

Doubtful. Gas will have a future as emergency standby power since it's much quicker to spool up, but right now it is holding pretty steady while coal is cratering due to market forces despite excessive sweetheart deals the conservatives made for that industry.

that's what the plan is, but it brings me no pleasure to report that sadly, coal is very much not yet cratering https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coal-tops-wind-as-primary-electricity-source/a-59168105

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nurmie posted:

no no no, oligarchs just spontaneously materialised all over russia one day in 1992. clearly some nefarious plot by americans. maybe some DARPA superweapon

nothing to do with disastrous economic policies of the late USSR, nothing to do with the existence of shadow economy that rivalled the official one in size and ran on a "who knows who" basis and was fertile grounds for all sorts of criminal shenanigans, nothing to do with the tremendously overgrown and festering security apparatus which revelled in the opportunity to join in on the aforementioned shenanigans, building new wealth and new capital and new power one thermorectal cryptoanalysis session at a time

yes, but we already knew stalin was right

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FishBulbia posted:

wrong wrong wront

this was the best tank of ww2

that's a p-47 and not an il-2 you dummy

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yes, a deliberate murder of tens of millions and a famine caused by gross mismanagement aren't the exact same thing, i'm glad you understand

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i thought liberalism was all about supporting the lesser evil

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:tito:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

America is keeping the Europeans out of the European security deal.

good riddance, are they also gonna be finally withdrawing their troops/bases?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it was more of a joke question sorry

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

defect to Guaido

lmao

maduro should be happy about anyone this dumb not being in his army anymore

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

'War is just a tool of geopolitics like any other' is a hell of a take.

well, this is an american forum lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xarn posted:

Sorry, but wtf is wrong with Germans?

they're honest and pragmatic, why do you ask :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

If Mexico had Russian military bases, and America attacked Mexico over it and annexed a bunch of territories, would that be justified?

no, but we also shouldn't pretend that's not exactly what would happen

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

And then what?

as a poster on a dead gay comedy forum? absolutely nothing, lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Cool poo poo.

look, we've known since the 90s that russia doesn't want nato/west too close, but especially in ukraine
https://clinton.presidentiallibraries.us/items/show/57569
read page 106 here

back in the 90s, russia was in no position to do poo poo. in 2008 under bush during the bucharest conference, despite knowing russia's position, ukraine got told they'd get into nato "eventually".

as a lovely state russia has lovely geopolitical goals, and since they're apparently in position to cause poo poo now, they're gonna exercise the power they have, when it's clear that otherwise everyone just kept ignoring them

this is not an endorsement of russian actions or positions, this is a "what the gently caress else did people expect to happen after continuously ignoring everything out of russia". we can post about this poo poo all day, but the matter of fact is, the end result is basically the same as if russia/china said they'd station military bases between alaska and mainland USA, and canada said yes no problem

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not calling out the condemnations, i'm calling out the idea that this entire conflict was somehow completely unavoidable by the west. when one side completely ignored the positions of the other for like 20 years, you don't get to pretend that. it's insanely lovely for people of ukraine, but this entire poo poo was brewed by both russia and nato, not just one side

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
clearly, what's thousands of dead slavs over a principle amirite

jesus loving christ dude

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dude, that argument is like the most obvious one if you're reflexively anti-American rather than anti-imperialist, seeing as it's basically a one-to-one replacement of the countries involved.

it's also the only other country that keeps stirring poo poo over the dumbest reasons. you can't really make that argument about modern day germany for example, it'd be weird :v:

e: not that germany isn't constantly stirring poo poo, but it's not doing it with their military

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

i don’t think anyone is going to say that the years after the collapse of the Soviet Union were handled well by “the West,” but at a certain point you have to acknowledge that russia has its own agency and its stated motivation for instigating a crisis that could kill tens of thousands is an expansion of NATO that hasn’t happened and isn’t likely to happen.

i agree, but also in 2008 NATO leadership could have said "see, russians keep saying they'd be real mad if we really took you in" and then kept doing nothing instead of going all "oh yeah, sure, we're definitely letting you in *wink wink nudge nudge*" every few years and then doing absolutely nothing anyway. that's the real headscratcher to me. if ukraine was in nato by 2014 none of this bullshit would fly either, but nope, gotta string them along. wtf?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

If Ukraine itself is saying there’s no invasion on the way whys everyone acting like the Russians are crossing the fulda gap

mo money for raytheon, op

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol how would US do that? by attacking german infrastructure?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dwesa posted:

it sounds like it would be joint US-German action :shrug:

yeah i'm sure germany is just gonna let their citizens freeze to death for US to teach russia a lesson lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kalit posted:

You should actually read articles before posting about them. Germany also seems to support this threat:

yeah and talk's cheap. see also: russian demands

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mokotow posted:

Should this be pork, veal, chicken or turkey?
Would you throw a fried egg on it?
How about yellow cheese? Mushrooms?
What side would go best with it?

yes

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ability to murder ≠ strength.

this is good to know, surely then ukraine can easily win a war with russia. they should invade ASAP to put an end to this charade

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I agree that this butthurt reaction wasn't optimal, even though the journalist probably thought he was hot poo poo asking supersmart questions when he wasn't.

what? he was clearly asking insanely stupid questions that should have been very easy to answer. and yet!

e: this is even dumber than saddam has wmd bullshit lmfao. oh no, russia has a video! :laffo::laffo:

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 4, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I'm with you on the lingustics but the underlying argument isn't really true. Russia had the opportunity to complain at every phase of NATO enlargement and didn't. The 2004 and 2009 enlargements happened under Putin's watch and he didn't make any fuss about it then.

again, page 106 here:
https://clinton.presidentiallibraries.us/items/show/57569
the russian position on eastward nato expansion has been known since yelcin at the absolute latest. they made a fuss about it in the 90s ffs

furthermore:

this is from one of the wikileak cables https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08MOSCOW265_a.html, from feb 2008. the usa/nato knows *exactly* what game they're playing with ukrainians, they just don't give a single poo poo about them

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Once again, apparently Ukrainians were sitting on the ground, lifeless as a sack of potatoes, their minds completely devoid of thought, until Westerners came along and filled their heads with ideas

no, the westerners came along and made their situation explicitly worse in every way

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

please elaborate on this assertion.

Truga posted:

i agree, but also in 2008 NATO leadership could have said "see, russians keep saying they'd be real mad if we really took you in" and then kept doing nothing instead of going all "oh yeah, sure, we're definitely letting you in *wink wink nudge nudge*" every few years and then doing absolutely nothing anyway. that's the real headscratcher to me. if ukraine was in nato by 2014 none of this bullshit would fly either, but nope, gotta string them along. wtf?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, apart from the the loving war in 2 of their regions, the constant saber rattling by the both putin and the west, and the rise of neonazi militias?

just things going normally i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

as i recall the dude in charge of Ukraine in 2014 was so extremely pro-russian and against co-operation with the west it led to his overthrow and domino'ed to the current state of affairs so I don't really know how Ukraine would join NATO between 2008 and 2014 with the west being all-in.

so they should have said "you're not getting in" then, and thus avoiding a bunch of suffering for ukrainians because by 2014 clearly russia felt like they can handle propping up an insurgency now

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What portion of this blame do you attribute to Russia, since they're the ones directly causing this suffering?

about 80%? russia's at fault here, but this could have been easily avoidable if bush admin didn't say the thing despite knowing full well ukraine is never getting in because not every nato ally wants them in. putin would have zero reason to do anything in ukraine if ukraine wasn't a nato candidate

e:

CommieGIR posted:

Again: What saber rattling from the West?

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/23/politics/ukraine-us-second-weapons-shipment/index.html
you mean this?

e2: well gently caress

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 14, 2022