Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Pretty wild that vlad Putin probably knows who BM is and probably doesn't care for him very much at all.

Forums keep on truckin' !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jesus friend, that sounds frustrating. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be in your shoes over there, I hope you all get real change and that it sticks.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Erulisse posted:

I'm always ashamed to tell people that I'm russian. I'm legit ashamed, honestly.
Because only in this country government can be preparing terrorist acts on their own people to shut them up.

I don't think you should be a self-hating Russian any more than I condone self-hating Americans. Both of our societies are engaged in internal struggles to achieve freedom, equality, peace, and tolerance. We have had and continue to have leaders who do evil things, but their evil doesn't taint you, personally, as long as you aren't embracing the fascism.

There are things I can genuinely be proud of, as an American. I think there are things that you can genuinely be proud of as a Russian as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trash Ops posted:

oh no they arrested a neonazi

Do you have anything else to add? I haven't heard that this journalist is a neonazi, and nobody else seems to be saying it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

Apparently he was a war journalist in the Donbass working for the Belorussian euroradio, which Russian propaganda and their fronts for mush-brained westerners are now spreading as "HE'S A NAZI AND FOUGHT FOR AZOV"

With how this horseshit is disseminated in a year or two every single person alive will have been accused of being a nazi that fought for Azov

Oh so just more Russian propaganda. Thank you!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I find 'Putin the Poisoner' has a more satisfying and scornful ring to it, personally.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Not So Fast posted:

There was the attempt at it with Evo Morales plane being rerouted because Edward Snowden was suspected to be on board, but that was done by the USA so its fine and dandy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/03/edward-snowden-bolivia-plane-vienna

The US didn't report a fake bomb threat what the gently caress. Your comparison is terrible.

e: perhaps more importantly - the US didn't arrest/kidnap anybody from Evo's party nor did they beat them and force them to do a hostage video to air on TV. Evo had to make some detours because of dumb international politics but christ they all got home safely and soundly and the only thing hurt was their itinerary.

Not a valid comparison in any way, shape, or form.

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 27, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Or those fingers, good lord.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Ukrainian people shouldn't have to lose their sovereignty to sate the ego of a megalomaniacal poisoner. If Putin starts a war then I hope NATO stands firm and stops him. gently caress that cosplay tsar.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Or maybe NATO should just, idk, disband.

I think we are living in a moment of history where an alliance like NATO is more valuable than ever. Absolutely not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hey, ideally NATO should've disbanded 30 years ago, but as someone not living in the Baltics I'd take your sovereignty's sacrifice to modern Russian opportunism over more mil spending waste and the risk of an escalation cycle that fucks everyone over. That is already loving everyone over.

Well poo poo, at least you are up front about it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

Yes, instead other people (unknown number ranging to 8 billion) should be sacrificed for the sake of a country getting to keep its special sky cloth

You know that Putin is choosing to be a warmonger, right? His choices are not some immutable force of nature. He could just...not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Why would you call the Russian Federation "the USSR's successor state" instead of by its name? The USSR is long dead and gone. That's kind of weird.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

aphid_licker posted:

There's currently more USSR successor states in NATO than in the Russian Federation, clearly this shows that it is NATO which is now the Soviet Union.

That's a pretty good point. NATO just gets cooler and cooler.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't think that free people practicing democracy should be sacrificed to autocrats, period. We should stand behind Ukraine. We should stand behind Taiwan. The 21st century should be democracies supporting and defending each other. If that means a conflict with Putin the Poisoner then so be it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Numlock posted:

Putin's 69 and while he appears to be in good health, if he's got some grand Imperialist vision (destroying NATO, Restoring Russian Power/Prestige, etc...) he may be feeling some pressure to accomplish it before he croaks or gets too old to fend off usurpers/coups.

Hopefully he croaks on his own, and soon. Or maybe somebody will poison him like he's poisoned so many others.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hannibal Rex posted:

Just lend-lease them a few nukes. No American boots on the ground, problem solved.

That's honestly not a halfway bad idea at this point. Putin must be stopped.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The ideal solution would be fore somebody to poison putin and this whole problem goes away.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No, that's not how that would work. Putin's death is going to be an awful thing to live through for Russian people.

Putins invasion of Ukraine would be a fun walk in the park for the Ukrainian people??

One man is the aggressor, here. Just one person. He does not have to do it. It is his choice.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

or it's very possible the russian state is stronger than a single person and will be able to move on from putin's eventual death

Yeah I don't really buy that Vladimir 'the poisoner' Putin's dead will inevitably lead to the dissolution of the Russian Federation. Will it lead to turmoil? For sure. But, it will also be a new opportunity for Russians to fight for the real democracy that they deserve to live in.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't think this guy is doing well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah I hate to say it but if russia invades Ukraine is poo poo out of luck, Ukraine matters much more to Russia than Ukraine matters to Europe and America.

I sure hope it doesn't play out that way, because Ukrainians deserve their freedom and Putin will be engaging in a completely psychotic war of imperial aggression.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The EU should stand united against that sort of bullshit. Christ, I am so tired of Putin and Xi.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

which read like a generic Vasukhani post about the natural force of Russia.

:lol:

Here's hoping ol' Vlad trips down the stairs sometime soon.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GABA ghoul posted:

Russia is worse at pretty much everything they criticize Europe/the US for. Crime, drug use, militarism, poverty, divorce rates, youth unemployment, freedom of expression, etc. It's the local methhead rambling about Ritalin over-prescription

Extremely rude things to say about the U.S.S.R.'s successor state.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Plucky lil putin.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hopefully the wind of change will blow Putin off a balcony or out a window. Happy New Year, freedom loving EE brothers and sisters.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Here's what Blinken said, since for some reason the tweet author decided not to include the very short quote. Gotta get those clicks, I guess.

quote:

"One lesson of recent history is that once Russians are in your house, it's sometimes very difficult to get them to leave,"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

barbecue at the folks posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1481602625586008067

somehow I don't see the Cubans allowing in a single Russian soldier, lmao

Haha sure, sure. Go for it, Vladimir. Surely you can afford this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FishBulbia posted:

No. They dont. This is why neo-realists

I've never heard of "neo-realists" before. I'm curious what differentiates them from just regular old realists?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Might be the only language Putin understands. Good, glad to hear it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

As a response to NATO's "our offer is this, nothing" rhetoric, I think it's basically like for like. I hope it's not their final position though, because it's pretty nuts.

It's almost as if it's not a good faith list of demands at all. It's almost as if it's meant to provide propaganda cover for an imperial war of aggression and expansion against a sovereign nation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
People asked "What is the point of NATO now?" when the Soviet Union dissolved. Well, it looks like the Soviet Union's successor state is on its way to re-invigorating the alliance, making the case for its continued existence.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

That doesn't explain what benefit the US gets from convincing Sweden and Finland to join and obligate us to defend them if they're not interested.

...They would only join if they're interested, tho?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think it's fine and understandable for the leaders of the democratic nation that's about to be invaded and annexed in an imperial war of conquest to be a little salty that the democracies of the 'free world' are waffling about discussing what type of sanctions they might slap on the imperial aggressor rather than, you know, defending democracy.

I'm not going to fault them for being a little pissed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

How is a sovereign Ukraine to my benefit as an American? I can't imagine how a potential hot war in Europe would raise my quality of life in the short term certainly and even in the long term is Ukraine offering land for settlers in the Donbas or what?

As an American, I would consider it to my benefit to live in a world full more of thriving democracies than authoritarian kleptocracies. The freedom of people around the world to choose their own governments is something I value, and something that I think our nation should value.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FishBulbia posted:

shame about all those democracies that the US made into kleptocracies. The US clearly doesnt think its mission is to spread democracy to all corners of the planet, and hasn't since 1793, since it made war on Europe's strongest democracy.

Indeed. We can do better. Doesn't make standing up for and defending democracy any less important.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

I think people are overestimating how much resistance there would be in a post-war Ukraine because they're applying a jihadist concept to Europe.

This is a loving weird thing to say, man. Fighting to defend your home and your family is a "jihadist concept", excuse me, what?

quote:

Doesn't pretty much every country in eastern Europe have a lot of young people looking to leave for better jobs elsewhere as it is? That kind of suggests to me that nationalism isn't the top priority on everyone's mind, though obviously war has and would radicalize some. Assuming Russia would allow disaffected youths to leave, and that nations sympathetic to Ukraine wouldn't suddenly cut off all migration from the country, why stay and die for Ukraine when you can get a job somewhere else that pays better than what you made before the war? That's not a realistic avenue for everyone, but I do think it's a critical escape valve.

This is also a weird way to look at the world. People love their homes. People love their culture and their family and their history. People fight to defend those things when outsiders launch a war of aggression to take them away. There's nothing weird about that, it's fundamentally human.

e:

quote:

Like I think most people would admit that the public in the West has been made docile to some extent by modern conveniences, and I guess I think Ukraine has gotten enough of that to calm things down a bit.

Ah. Docile, soft Westerns as compared to hardened, hardy, mountain Muslims. Gotcha. :jerkbag:

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 25, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I think this whole thread could use some perspective, by reading another thread.

Indeed.

Putin is threatening to invade their home, their home. Like, try to put yourself in their shoes. If some huge neighboring power was massing tanks on the border and threatening to come into the US, to my state, my home, and tear down my government and take away my rights and ability to determine my own life I'd be ready to fight them, too. I think most people would. I think most Americans love their homes, warts and all, and want them to thrive. They don't want to bow to some paranoid little poisoner mafia-boss in Moscow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FishBulbia posted:

There is almost no panic about this war scare in Ukraine. Attitude is little different than a year ago

I'm glad if so. Determination to resist is better than panic.