Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying
Well poo poo dude, is that a milk snake?
I caught one of those in my back yard a s a kid. Kept it in a terrarium in the house until it got out (next day).

never found it....

end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
One forest-dweller to another: glad you're not dead!

Got any new pictures of the house? Last I saw, it needed some siding.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

As an Australian, snakes freak me out till I know they arent dangerous. Judging by the name milk snake, im guessing that one isnt?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
As an American, I assume snakes aren't poisonous unless they have a rattle. There are some parts of the country where that's not true, but Apatite's winter pictures look too cold to be among them.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zhentar posted:

As an American, I assume snakes aren't poisonous unless they have a rattle. There are some parts of the country where that's not true, but Apatite's winter pictures look too cold to be among them.

All snakes arent poisonous.

Some are very venomous though.

edit : apparently there is one snake thats poisonous, but its in SE asia.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 12, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Zhentar posted:

au contraire! We as a species have actually unintentionally been breeding the rattle out of rattlesnakes. Why? People kill snakes that rattle. The ones that don't rattle stay alive. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=216924322

Also here's a list of at least some venomous snakes of the US:
Cottonmouths
Water Moccasins
Coral snakes
Copperheads
Rattlesnakes (which you listed)

There are others but that's what I can remember. Admittedly, most of them are from the south, but don't be surprised if rattlesnakes come back to the northeast soon.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Cottonmouths and water moccasins are the same thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow, you're right. I guess I should have double checked those all before posting, since I last read about them when doing a school research project on texas like 20 years ago. Whoops :downs:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

not ded yet, sorry for periodically abandoning thread for long periods of time.

been eating stuff. free food good food

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I see a lobster.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cartouche posted:

I see a lobster.

It's a sailboat.

(Those berries look delicious!)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

It's a sailboat.

It's Crash Bandicoot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

toplitzin posted:

It's Crash Bandicoot.

That's totally earthworm jim

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
It's clearly Trogdor. Also interested in seeing how the homestead is looking these days.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mr Krabs

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is it pretty colours time yet?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

It should be.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's also the busiest season of the year. Lots of things for them to do to get ready for winter.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Most of my foliage pics have turned out to be garbage so far. Here's a few--

(actually in VT)

(ginseng?)

(summer)

We just finished processing a ton of apples into juice, hard cider (fermenting now), applesauce, pie filling, etc. Thankfully we have 4 mature trees left from when part of the land was a cow farm and know some other people with trees. There are also a lot along the road and on State/County land... Here's some pics of that

Parting shot:

Hopefully will be back soon with more pics, not online much these days

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mmm that should be some good cider. Just posting to say that yes, I'm still deeply envious of your lifestyle. :)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

apatite posted:

(actually in VT)

If this the kind of thing that if you owned the land it was on, and cleaned up the brush around it you could use as a firepit?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

beep-beep car is go posted:

If this the kind of thing that if you owned the land it was on, and cleaned up the brush around it you could use as a firepit?

If I owned land with something like that on I would literally build a structure around it, shore up the stonework and put it back to use.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hot drat that's a lot of apples. You ever think about keeping a pig or two?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

beep-beep car is go posted:

That'd be a badass firepit. I'd recommend you get started right away, then please share pics :cheers:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hot drat that's a lot of apples. You ever think about keeping a pig or two?

Yeah it's been the topic of many discussions, we just have a hard time balancing animal husbandry with desire to travel, gtfo etc. It would be a no brainer (IMO) if we had someone reliable/capable/trustworthy/willing to watch over things during brief absences but having little to no close by friends and an unhealthy distrust of people keeps it out of the playbook for right now

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

apatite posted:

That'd be a badass firepit. I'd recommend you get started right away, then please share pics :cheers:

Yeah it's been the topic of many discussions, we just have a hard time balancing animal husbandry with desire to travel, gtfo etc. It would be a no brainer (IMO) if we had someone reliable/capable/trustworthy/willing to watch over things during brief absences but having little to no close by friends and an unhealthy distrust of people keeps it out of the playbook for right now

Oh, yeah, totally understandable. Livestock means no vacations. Unless you take those vacations after they're in the freezer and no longer need direct input from you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, pig poo poo is horrifyingly bad.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016
So does this acreage you guys retreated to actually have a home on it or are you roughing it like cave men? Edit: I missed the indoor pictures, not trying to be snarky. :)

What part of the country are you located in? It looks very cold!

Edit: Also, in if you're off the electrical grid I'm curious about your energy solution. How do you heat your house etc?

Check out some survival shenanigans:

stayingalivetv fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 21, 2016

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

stayingalivetv posted:

So does this acreage you guys retreated to actually have a home on it or are you roughing it like cave men?

wtf

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

OP, great photos- I've lurked this thread for a while.

Where in the northeast are you? That looks like a NY plate on the black ranger there, and the scenery looks about on par as here, but then again, woods in the northeast all kind of look the same once you get down to it.

FWIW, I'm in the finger lakes.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

wiyp?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Apatite lives in the middle of a big forest by himself and has so far conscientiously avoided posting any self-identifying information. From this you're taken to have inferred that he values privacy and are supposed to say "Thank you for the nature pictures" instead of "show us your house and tell me where you live."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think you might have a better heating system than me (again) apatite.

stayingalivetv posted:

So does this acreage you guys retreated to actually have a home on it or are you roughing it like cave men? Edit: I missed the indoor pictures, not trying to be snarky. :)

Edit: Also, in if you're off the electrical grid I'm curious about your energy solution. How do you heat your house etc?

did you seriously join SA and put that crazy "like comment and share" social media poo poo in your signature

basically:

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

DreadLlama posted:

Apatite lives in the middle of a big forest by himself and has so far conscientiously avoided posting any self-identifying information. From this you're taken to have inferred that he values privacy and are supposed to say "Thank you for the nature pictures" instead of "show us your house and tell me where you live."

"What part of the country are you located in?" Is in no way equal to "Tell me where you live." If he's bothered by my very unobtrusive questions he doesn't have to answer them. This great thing about free will, you know. :)

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

kastein posted:

did you seriously join SA and put that crazy "like comment and share" social media poo poo in your signature

basically:

From the forum rules:

"Your sig file and you. Keep in mind that everybody on the forums has to see your sig file over and over every time you post. Please make your sig file under 30k in size with less than three lines of text. Do not use images larger than 400 pixels wide and 125 pixels high."

http://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/

I prefer to keep to the forum rules rather than what some random dude on the forum spews out. So sorry if I've offended you.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stayingalivetv posted:

From the forum rules:

"Your sig file and you. Keep in mind that everybody on the forums has to see your sig file over and over every time you post. Please make your sig file under 30k in size with less than three lines of text. Do not use images larger than 400 pixels wide and 125 pixels high."

http://www.somethingawful.com/forum-rules/forum-rules/2/

I prefer to keep to the forum rules rather than what some random dude on the forum spews out. So sorry if I've offended you.

You're going to do real well here pal.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

kedo posted:

You're going to do real well here pal.

Yeah, apparently. I've haven't been in very many forum communities with such a hair-trigger default state of hostility before. It's like people are trying to see how outdo each other in a game of "how anonoyed / angry can you be for no reason at all."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do realize that a) nobody uses sigs around here, and b) your sig looked 100% to everyone like you were shilling for your YouTube channel, as if you thought SA was a good way to get some extra ad revenue. I'm not saying anything about what your intentions are, just how you were perceived. You should have been able to figure this out in the five days between when you registered and when you posted this here, so, dunno what to tell you beyond "lurk more". :shrug:

SA will 100% rip your head off, but only if it thinks you deserve it. And frankly, the DIY threads are usually pretty accurate about who deserves headrippings.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Do realize that a) nobody uses sigs around here, and b) your sig looked 100% to everyone like you were shilling for your YouTube channel, as if you thought SA was a good way to get some extra ad revenue. I'm not saying anything about what your intentions are, just how you were perceived. You should have been able to figure this out in the five days between when you registered and when you posted this here, so, dunno what to tell you beyond "lurk more". :shrug:

SA will 100% rip your head off, but only if it thinks you deserve it. And frankly, the DIY threads are usually pretty accurate about who deserves headrippings.

Thanks for the heads up. And the civility.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

You mean you haven't gotten around to building some sort of terrible blast furnace out of discarded Jeep carcasses to heat your place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

You mean you haven't gotten around to building some sort of terrible blast furnace out of discarded Jeep carcasses to heat your place?

Kastein heats his house by burning the parts of the house that he no longer needs.

• Locked thread