Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

I BURNED MY CELLAR :froggonk:

I think you should do a LP of this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there any way to keep animals out of your cellar beyond illogically enclosing it in a roofless portion of your house?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zoe posted:

Is there any way to keep animals out of your cellar beyond illogically enclosing it in a roofless portion of your house?

Surround it with a circle of traps, fences and trap-pits?

Besides that, I don't think so - anyway I have it inside a fence and I think I never got anything stolen out of it

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

TorakFade posted:

I think you should do a LP of this game
no

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh drat, bad luck! (Also, did the kid swear at you a lot during the fight? Since that happened when I fought a Njerpez kid - he swore at me waaay more than the adults combined :D )

Got a quick question - does using multiple ski sticks improve your speed and/or fatigue cost for skiing in winter? Since I can move around just fine with only one, but like, it seems to fatigue me almost as much as moving around on foot, so I'm wondering if I should be using two, unless I'm in combat. (Although the snow only just reached calf-height, so maybe it'll be way better later on, when it gets a bit deeper)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Being away from my main computer for a bit, I installed this on my laptop and started a new character, part of the Seal Tribe in the far north. I lasted a grand total of 10 days before I got sniped by a Njerpez arrow while scouting out for a cave. I was hit on the first shot, passed out, woke up, then tried crawling away while grievously wounded and bleeding all over the place. Then more arrows came in and it all went black. I didn't even see where the shooter was. :cry:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Got a quick question - does using multiple ski sticks improve your speed and/or fatigue cost for skiing in winter? Since I can move around just fine with only one, but like, it seems to fatigue me almost as much as moving around on foot, so I'm wondering if I should be using two, unless I'm in combat. (Although the snow only just reached calf-height, so maybe it'll be way better later on, when it gets a bit deeper)

No, but fatigue incurred while skiing depends on your skill.. if it's still low it's almost as fatiguing as trudging through it, when you're at 100% you'll get about 1% fatigue every 10-15 tiles or so iirc.

You'll be a grandmaster skiier after a couple winter months :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

No, but fatigue incurred while skiing depends on your skill.. if it's still low it's almost as fatiguing as trudging through it, when you're at 100% you'll get about 1% fatigue every 10-15 tiles or so iirc.

You'll be a grandmaster skiier after a couple winter months :)

Alright then, cool - at least that means I can have a hand free for javelin-throwing, I suppose! :v: I'll have to try and use skis as much as possible, perhaps - maybe I'll gracefully ski through the nearby forest cutting down and hauling back trees for my boat shed, to bump up my skills? All the lumberjacks in Finland do this, right?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

Oh drat, bad luck! (Also, did the kid swear at you a lot during the fight? Since that happened when I fought a Njerpez kid - he swore at me waaay more than the adults combined :D )

If I remember correctly they added kids swearing a lot more during battle a couple patches back. Could be wrong though.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 26, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember correctly they added kids swearing a lot more during battle a couple patches back. Could be wrong though.

hahaha I love how that's actually a 'feature' now! :D

Also, here's my homestead so far:

Cabin: Check!
Smoking hut/sauna: Check!
Cow shed: Check!
Boat shed: Check!
Moat: In progress (not finish-able until the temperature rises, sadly. At least the cow shed has been placed in such a way as to reduce the amount of digging required, along the fence!)
Firewood: Check! (approx. 800 pieces at this point)

Unfortunately though, now I can't think of anything else to do around the house, and it's not even midwinter point! :ohdear: I might need to go on daily patrols I suppose, to boost my skiing skill and hopefully run into lone Njerpez hunters.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, winters are incredibly dull. That's one area of the game that could stand to have a less realism. Even if he just made it skippable from within a cabin at the cost of X amount of food and firewood it'd be an improvement.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

That's what the incredibly convoluted crafting mods are for. Also the shaman mod.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Winter is great for hunting, though, since tracks are really easy to find and animals tire easier (I think).

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

OneTwentySix posted:

Winter is great for hunting, though, since tracks are really easy to find and animals tire easier (I think).

Also animals grow their winter coats, which are more valuable. I thought winters are supposed to be the time you zip around on skis and travel and hunt, not sit around. I still haven't made it to winter yet though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I use winter is great for hunting although I'm pretty sure fewer animals spawn. It is also a good time for long distance travels since all the rivers that would normally be a huge pain to cross are frozen over.

Just don't do what I did and almost get trapped on the islands when the ice starts to thaw.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I use winter is great for hunting although I'm pretty sure fewer animals spawn. It is also a good time for long distance travels since all the rivers that would normally be a huge pain to cross are frozen over.

Just don't do what I did and almost get trapped on the islands when the ice starts to thaw.

This. This is the worst. I wound up finishing a house before the ice melted fully.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kenzie posted:

Also animals grow their winter coats, which are more valuable. I thought winters are supposed to be the time you zip around on skis and travel and hunt, not sit around. I still haven't made it to winter yet though.

Hm, that's a fair point - I didn't realize the game simulated that; good that it does, though. I guess there's less incentive for me to hunt right now, seeing as I've got a huge pile of weapons, furs, etc. to trade already, (some of which were hunted and killed by me! The others...were picked off dead bodies :v:) as well as a fairly large meat store.
Not to mention the fact that at the rapids I live by, I can sit and fish for 20min (ingame) and catch four roaches, two breams, a pike and a trout! (while I'm still roasting the salmon I got in my net, at that) :v:

I suppose I should go out to hunt though; if only to increase my tracking/hunting, skinning and skiing skills, while still making good use of my time. (Also, with the whole 'thick winter coat' thing, seeing as I use a summer bear fur as my blanket, would it be better if I swapped to a winter bear fur, or would it make no difference, in that regard?)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Hm, that's a fair point - I didn't realize the game simulated that; good that it does, though. I guess there's less incentive for me to hunt right now, seeing as I've got a huge pile of weapons, furs, etc. to trade already, (some of which were hunted and killed by me! The others...were picked off dead bodies :v:) as well as a fairly large meat store.
Not to mention the fact that at the rapids I live by, I can sit and fish for 20min (ingame) and catch four roaches, two breams, a pike and a trout! (while I'm still roasting the salmon I got in my net, at that) :v:

I suppose I should go out to hunt though; if only to increase my tracking/hunting, skinning and skiing skills, while still making good use of my time. (Also, with the whole 'thick winter coat' thing, seeing as I use a summer bear fur as my blanket, would it be better if I swapped to a winter bear fur, or would it make no difference, in that regard?)

Apparently winter furs have been simulated for a long time now, but the game doesn't really tell you that, so it's kinda confusing. I read on their forums that one of the things they're adding in the next update is a summer/winter descriptor for the different types of furs. So the game will finally tell you if you have a "fine winter fox fur" or "poor winter bear skin" or whatever. I have no idea if winter fur can make your character warmer or not though. I do know that they are more rare and more valuable.

Winter is still like 6 weeks away in my game at the moment. When it does come I kinda want to go on some long expedition somewhere. Maybe go way inland, set up hunting camps at kill sites, drying meat on the spot, and then keep going from there, until I freeze to death or fall through ice and drown or die of hypothermia or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Having another go at the whole I am Legend Njerpez crusade. Got myself a nice little cave to live in while I go around being an axe murderer.

Just wiped out my first village. They killed my dog almost right away but I got them good on the second raid after barely crawling away alive on the first attempt.

I may have honed my skill a bit of a few villages back in my Kaumo homelands before heading east.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Major Isoor posted:

Fish to eat, hunt to hoard wealth. If your fishing has you set, it just means you carry the meat into town to buy furs.

Get the furs in order to buy war kit from the traders so you can be the murder train without getting lucky njerpez ambushes.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

zedprime posted:

If your fishing has you set, it just means you carry the meat into town to buy furs.

Actually, thanks for reminding me - when it comes to selling meat, is it best to just trade it raw, or is it worth a little more if I roast it first, or?
Fair point, though. I might go and try to find another stag or bear or something, after, then just offload all its meat for as many furs as I can get.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Whenever I go after the Njerpez villages I always bring like 10 of the local bumpkins I can con into going with me. They act as pretty good meatshields and I get to enjoy a nice battle in this weird engine. Also, it never ceases to be entertaining when they lob arrows into the backs of their allies

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, you know how some people IRL used to cut a hole in ice, then briefly dunk themselves into the freezing water, before getting out again and running into a sauna? I don't recall what that process is called, but I'm pretty sure that actually happened and I'm not imagining it. :v: In any case, just curious; is anything like that implemented in the game, that provides additional bonuses (or simply 'refreshes' you more) compared to just using the sauna alone?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The term I've been using for that is "ice swimming" (Wikipedia mentions "winter swimming" in cases where the water isn't actually frozen, just cold). It's great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, you know how some people IRL used to cut a hole in ice, then briefly dunk themselves into the freezing water, before getting out again and running into a sauna? I don't recall what that process is called,

It is called "The entirety of Finnish Culture"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, maybe I should trust my memory more, I guess! :v: (Didn't realize it was all Finns though! Just read about it after seeing Hempuli's post however, and yeah those Finns are definitely avanto fanatics!)
In any case, does performing the full process actually make a difference in-game, or is there no point in doing more than simply using the sauna itself? (Seeing as from what I can gather, having your temperature rating as "sweating a lot", etc. doesn't seem to make much difference - unless I'm way off the mark on that)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's pretty unfair. There's also vodka. Lots of vodka.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I apologize to the Finnish people for forgetting that drunkenness, depression, and puns are also important aspects of their culture.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
and with the advent of the internet you can add autism to the mix! :finland:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

A pack of wolves ran into my trap fence. One of them fell into a pit, and the other three are hanging around outside and won't abandon him. I wanna put the trapped wolf out of its misery but I'm afraid the others are gonna tear me to pieces first. :ohdear:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

That's a completely valid fear, probably wait for them to get bored unless you are very good with a weapon and have some dogs backing you up.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Kenzie posted:

A pack of wolves ran into my trap fence. One of them fell into a pit, and the other three are hanging around outside and won't abandon him. I wanna put the trapped wolf out of its misery but I'm afraid the others are gonna tear me to pieces first. :ohdear:

Oh, that's sad - I didn't realize the wolf AI did that. :( (I actually haven't encountered any wolves, now that I think about it...are they mostly up north, or something?)
It's pretty cool, all the trouble Sami went in order to portray each type of animal as realistically as possible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kenzie posted:

Just go fetch a couple dozen javelins from your stockpile?

Edit also, avatar post combo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is no joke. My wife is finnish, and we went to finland this summer. Every single night just about people would sauna by alternatingly jumping in 14C lakes and then going into 90C saunas to beat each other with branches. A few of them that I met talked about the ice dunking too in the winter. Finns are nuts about sauna.

Its honestly really refreshing.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, that's sad - I didn't realize the wolf AI did that. :( (I actually haven't encountered any wolves, now that I think about it...are they mostly up north, or something?)
It's pretty cool, all the trouble Sami went in order to portray each type of animal as realistically as possible.
lol, this game already makes me feel bad brutally murdering little squirrels and leaving wolves to die in my traps while their friends helplessly watch. Now wait until Sami adds animal cubs in the next update, and I get to slaughter their mothers so the cubs have to wander the woods alone. :cry:

I'm on the far south-western coast, near the Driik territory, so I think you can find wolves pretty much anywhere. I've only seen them a few times though. Turns out there were at least 5 wolves, and 2 of them fell into my pits. The wolves were hanging around the fence for a couple of days before I left to the nearest village to fetch some dude to come back with me to help me fight them or chase them off. By the time we got back though, they were gone and the 2 wolves in the pits were already dead. I was still able to scavenge the carcasses and get some meat and harsh hides at least.

Disappointed, I took out my frustration by taking the dude I hired to go hunt down the Njerpezit that I kept seeing wander the woods nearby. We managed to kill 2 of them a few km apart from each other, although my comrade was nearly killed in the process, and I took a few blows from a handaxe. Now I have piles of loot to sort through, including a bastard sword. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I swear Nerps specifically spawn near your hobo fort.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

lol I came back to my traps a couple days later and I saw those 3 surviving wolves in the process of ripping apart a reindeer carcass inside one of my pits. I shot a couple of arrows at them and they ran off, then scavenged the reindeer myself while I could hear them howling in the distance. Game owns.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I swear Nerps specifically spawn near your hobo fort.
They do. Or are at least drawn near. I've never been able to tie down how entities really spawn.

Which is better than the older implementation where they would spawn with a specific path to visit your tile which is where some of the penchant for forts come from when it's a bit rarer for home invasions these versions. Not sure how much of that is specific spawn tuning or how much is tuning how much the forest hates you when you aren't sacrificing at a good rate.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Hobocamp 2.0.

Best thing is i can pack all that poo poo on my pets and relocate at will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Hobocamp 2.0.

Best thing is i can pack all that poo poo on my pets and relocate at will!

That kota is horrifingly asymmetrical :gonk:

• Locked thread