Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Decided to finally play the new version, except I'm not, because I'm just sitting here listening to the nice new menu song. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I bought this game on steam and have no clue what I'm doing. How do I open the tutorial screen? It has been easy to access when I complete what it tells me to do but it didn't come up after I built a shelter so I don't know what to do next.

Also if I name my guy after a Finnish folk character do I get secret boosted stats or anything this is very important to me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

I bought this game on steam and have no clue what I'm doing. How do I open the tutorial screen? It has been easy to access when I complete what it tells me to do but it didn't come up after I built a shelter so I don't know what to do next.

Also if I name my guy after a Finnish folk character do I get secret boosted stats or anything this is very important to me.
F5 brings up the game course screen.

Pressing ? (shift / in other words) will open the key bindings list. Or if you are really stuck, the escape menu can take you to the key bindings list.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Boom! Head Heart shot! :black101:

Finally started my new guy, out on the west-coast. Amazingly I soon saw a Njerpez warrior in the distance, never seen one this far west. Figuring I had little to lose, I quickly made a few javelins and then moved in to engage him. I thought I'd be screwed since I had only a rough woodsman's axe as a melee weapon. I sneak up, throw my first crappy javelin and kill him outright.

Not terrible loot.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Boom! Head Heart shot! :black101:

Finally started my new guy, out on the west-coast. Amazingly I soon saw a Njerpez warrior in the distance, never seen one this far west. Figuring I had little to lose, I quickly made a few javelins and then moved in to engage him. I thought I'd be screwed since I had only a rough woodsman's axe as a melee weapon. I sneak up, throw my first crappy javelin and kill him outright.

Not terrible loot.

Broadhead arrows are awesome, and that roundshield will allow you to buy a decent weapon (or you can use it). Very nice!

In other news I am an idiot because I thought the Steam screenshot key was F10 and so I failed to take screens of my latest endeavour: taking the fight back to the Njerpez to avenge all newbies slain by them. I started off in Kaumo land with a big burly guy expert in axes and bows. A couple weeks to gather up some weapons and food, and off I went to Njerpez land!

I entered the first village I found wielding a fine woodsman's axe and attacked a Njerpez maiden (boy she must've been surprised by the giant Kaumo man rushing at her with an axe - what goes around comes around, you assholes). She took a blow and fled, but the village was alerted so I found a defensible position between a few trees where only 3 people at once could attack, and let them come to me.

The first one to arrive was a Njerpez warrior. I swung wildly at him and slashed him in the thorax, he fell down and couldn't do much after that. A housewife came along and started trying to kick me, I hit her in the eye and in the neck making her bleed profusely from both wounds but she kept coming, kudos to her. Eventually she bled off and collapsed. When a craftsman approached I swiftly slashed his legs from under him, then fended off 3 of the bastards at once, counterstriking furiously and chopping their limbs off.

After killing at least 4 of them and maiming another couple, sadly I was very fatigued and a bit injured so things started going badly. A stupid kid circled around and attacked me from the back, and another maiden took the place of one of her injured comrades and started skillfully attacking me with a spear. I couldn't counterstrike effectively, having a combined -25% penalty from wounds and fatigue, so after a while she managed to hit me in the groin, that did barely scratch my enormous cojones but caused me to faint and get kicked to death by the damned kid.

I have bathed in Njerpez blood, heard the death cries of their women, stood atop a pile of their mangled corpses and died a glorious death. :black101:

(note for next time: acquire more armour and a dog before going to fight a whole village at once)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 2, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Amazingly I soon saw a Njerpez warrior in the distance, never seen one this far west.
The one that killed me was also just loitering around like half a mile away from a Driik village.
And the wolfpack that got me was also just barely outside Driik territory.
Conclusion: Driik is loving dangerous. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I used my original rough woodsman's axe, my original fur cloat, and 3 broadarrows to buy a dog, figuring she'd quickly pay back the investment via hunting.

But, the one pack of Reindeer we've run into so far she failed to run one down while I failed to shoot another one. :saddowns: I did manage to kill two squirrels up in tree by throwing rocks at them, but I fed that meagre meat to my dog to keep her going while eating my handful of starter food. Now thats all gone. :ohdear:

I guess if I have to, I can trade some of the loot I still have for food at one of the Driik villgaes.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^ eat the dog.

drat I really want to check out the new version, but it'll have to wait till this feverish obsession with Stardew Valley cools...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My first character this version started next to a Driik village, traveled a square east, and ran into a wolf pack. Went for the all or nothing approach, harassed a couple wolves with arrow hits and pressed the advantage on one of the wounded, getting a minor bite in the process at which point the pack circled around and a healthy one just aced me. The Driik are totally cursed this patch.

My next character been biding time waiting for the spring thaw, making bowls to trade to shore up my tool deficit since he started dirt poor compared to some luckier inventory rolls, in between striking out looking for prey. Hunting in the snow without skis works exactly as well as you think it does, but somehow the spring starts are still better than the winter anxiety I get starting in the summer. None of this is noteworthy except I've set up camp near where a flock of grouse seem to be wintering, and one time he was setting up his fish to roast when a grouse flew into view a decent ways away, at which point he stopped cooking, and threw a single javelin knocking it out of the sky, finishing up the cooking, then cleaning and butchering the grouse which had since bled out.

I scored a bow with crafts and some extraordinarily good net catches, and its getting pretty warm during the day, so the thaw should hit soon and I can get down to business. Although I fully expect to die when falling through the ice while setting my nets one of these days because I always figure I can wait till tomorrow to stop carrying my day to day tools out with me just to get a drink and set up nets.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TorakFade posted:

I have bathed in Njerpez blood, heard the death cries of their women, stood atop a pile of their mangled corpses and died a glorious death. :black101:

RIP Rambolainen :unsmith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've noticed that wading into the water to the edge of the deep area to active fish doesn't work so well with the new temperature system. You'll lose heat rapidly to the cold water. Even in early summer.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah a lake-sized body of water will actually take quite some time to warm up enough to spend time in it. Take a quick refreshing dip, sure, but standing hip-deep in it for an hour is another matter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Took down a few forest reindeer and a stag with the help of my dog. Fortunately the Stag fur came out standard quality (surprising giving what I was working with) and that, most of the meat (roasted), and the Njerpez got me a lot of stuff.

- Upgraded my shortbow to a hunting bow
- Got a spear
- got fine hand and woodsman axes and a carving axe
- exchanged my rough broad knife for a standard hunting knife
- got a fine net, a spare rope (always handy), a shovel
- and a handful of smoked and salted foods.

Still have the second reindeer skin tanning, if it comes out rough, I might just use it to make a waterskin (which I currently lack) and cords.

I think I'm reasonably set for heading pretty far north-east to build a homestead.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Took down a few forest reindeer and a stag with the help of my dog. Fortunately the Stag fur came out standard quality (surprising giving what I was working with)
Does the way you kill the animal influence the quality of the skin, or does only your hideworking skill matter?

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Does the way you kill the animal influence the quality of the skin, or does only your hideworking skill matter?

If it takes many stabs or slashes to kill something, the hide will be torn. Clubbing doesn't tear the hide.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still have the second reindeer skin tanning, if it comes out rough, I might just use it to make a waterskin (which I currently lack) and cords.

I think I'm reasonably set for heading pretty far north-east to build a homestead.

The fur from a reindeer is no good for making a waterskin - either de hair it to make leather, or kill a pig.

Ps a wooden bowl weighs more than a skin but can hold just as much water or even a bit more so no real need for a skin until you're trying to save weight

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

The fur from a reindeer is no good for making a waterskin - either de hair it to make leather, or kill a pig.

Ps a wooden bowl weighs more than a skin but can hold just as much water or even a bit more so no real need for a skin until you're trying to save weight

Is grabbing a tub from a sauna still the pro tier tactic here or do villagers get mad at you now? Haven't played in awhile.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zoe posted:

Is grabbing a tub from a sauna still the pro tier tactic here or do villagers get mad at you now? Haven't played in awhile.

I honestly don't know but with how it works now anything you pick up in a village must be traded for or stolen so I guess it works for tubs too.

In any case it's no big deal, as said bowls got an upgraded capacity and will serve you well for normal needs, and milking doesn't fill up containers to capacity anymore (which was the reason the tub was the best, you could get 8lbs of milk / day, now if the cow only has 4 lbs to give you just get half a tub unless I'm mistaken)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Are there any good tutorials for this game? I love it but suck hard and need some guidance in the early game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Mundus posted:

Are there any good tutorials for this game? I love it but suck hard and need some guidance in the early game.

First off you should try and follow the "living in the wild" gamecourse, it covers all the basics and is the de facto in-game tutorial. If you didn't activate it on game start press F5 and you should be able to choose it.

If you need help with commands just hit ? and you'll get the full list.

If you don't mind a read, the wiki has it covered.

If you need some more "meta" guidance, want in depth info on some argument or are curious about something in particular just ask away, and we can help!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Learning new rituals is annoying when you're some distance from any settlements. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I swear, I'm hitting stuff more consistently with my Javelins than my bow, despite very similar skill levels.

"Swan encounter on the overworld? Sure why not *toss* *splat* I hit! :aaa:"

At least I have a nice stockpile of feathers to make arrows with in the future.

(Edit) never thought about it before, but I wonder if there is any consequences for eating nothing but meat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 3, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've got feathers coming out of my ears but still haven't made a lot of good kills to go into cord manufacturing. So with arrows still a valuable commodity I am starting to prefer javelins just because they are easier to see on the ground and can't fly dozens of meters out of sight.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(Edit) never thought about it before, but I wonder if there is any consequences for eating nothing but meat.

Not at the moment, you could live on milk alone if it didn't stop coming in winter, but I think a nutrition overhaul was in the plans for the future.

I think right now the focus is on quests for the next version (and I can't wait for them since endgame challenge and stuff to do besides stabbing is kinda sparse once you have day by day survival sorted out) but the devs surprised us before so maybe something is in the works already!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its hard to tell whats current or not, I think food still has nutrition stats that differ in how it affects your nutrition state. Its just kind of backward in that protein is king regardless, so meat sources are universally best and have no downsides like rabbit starvation, where you can end up with a not increasing nutrition state if all you have are some of the crummier carb loads like grains, turnips, and starchy herbs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Sow leather isn't even that valuable I don't think, I didn't need to torture this poor thing, but I've already punctured the hide enough with the initial javelin harassment.

I paused to eat lunch and catch my breath while it tried to drag itself away and now I'm 4 skull crushing blows in and I just want to end its misery, goddamn.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Christ dude, that is rough.

Could someone give me a decent overview on how to track animals? The in game help and the wiki haven't been a whole lot of help in actually finding tracks to follow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Christ dude, that is rough.

Could someone give me a decent overview on how to track animals? The in game help and the wiki haven't been a whole lot of help in actually finding tracks to follow.
Unless you are returning to known hunting ground or something, you are most likely to find tracks by finding an animal visually first. So either spotting them from a hill or looking out into the mire or fields, or getting a lucky encounter when walking over the overworld square they are in. If there isn't snow on the ground, you're probably only going to get tracks from big game, or medium game on the correct surfaces.

Overworld tracking seems to be of limited use. If you're going to use it, use it at certain features you could maybe expect an animal might be forced to be: on peninsula's in lakes, narrow strips of lands between lakes, or lakeshores of single tile lakes. Finding tracks this way doesn't really give you much actionable info, except if it'd be a good choice for a comprehensive trapping system.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Before I went to work I thought I found a nice spot for my homestead, but now I'm having second thoughts. Where do others like to build their home?

For reference I am/was gonna build it along the shore of a river linking two of the northernmost of the very large lakes that tend to occupy the center/south of the map. Its about a day or two on foot to the edges of Kiesse, Kaumo, and one of the northern tribes (Owl tribe? The white territory).

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy poo poo, that's one tough sow. :stare:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Before I went to work I thought I found a nice spot for my homestead, but now I'm having second thoughts. Where do others like to build their home?

I do prefer settling in heathlands rather than coniferous because trees in heathlands don't block sight and it's convenient.

Usually on a rapids tile so I have easy access to water year round, possibly near a good place for a trap fence, and lately I am tired of the west so I think I will settle in the south east near reemi territory because apparently they have some trade goods unlike the kaumo/kiesse. It gets tiring to make long trips to trade away all those Njerpez weapons after all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think on my next dude I'll make an Owl-Tribe dude and be an actual nomad living out of Kota, travelling seasonally or something.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started a new run, made a kaumo valkyrie girl almost 7 feet tall and master in spears. Great at trapping and hideworking, I fully intend to finally being able to trade with the foreign traders.

First thing I encounter is a band of three robbers that wanted my only spear. You want it? You're going to get it, point first. Managed to stab all three to death but one of them managed to pierce my thorax with an arrow, bleeding wound, injury bar filled out and red. Luckily I stopped the bleeding but recovery is terribly slow. Their stuff bought me 2 nets, a pot, a carving axe, a woodsman axe and a dog.

Things are looking good if the wound doesn't get infected...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Time to put your herblore to work. :v: I'm actually making sure to harvest modest amounts of herbs my dude recognizes, especially the ones with medicinal properties.

My homestead is coming along, got the smokehouse/mini-sauna (And temporary sleeping quarters) finished and even decided to try my luck with those seeds the tutorial thing gives you. Never farmed before, not sure how it'll turn out. I've heard animals can get to your plants, so I fenced it off and put a deadfall trap at the entrance. Will it work? I dunno. Doesn't seem like the birds would care much. I should've put the plot a bit further from my smokehouse and where I'm gonna build my cabin (that cleared area where my dude is standing). Too late now.

Now I'm gonna go hunting and hope I get lucky with an elk or stag. I've got a reindeer skin I can carve up for cords to star the smoking process, which'll leave me with a decent food stock for constructing the actual cabin. Right now I'm scraping by with active/net fishing and slowly pecking at the preserved food stock I had.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I've finally managed to set up a proper hut on the shore, with a fireplace, a couple of cellars and starting to set up a nearby trapfence to get a more sustainable food income.

I've been using nets to catch fish to smoke with my new fireplace, and sometimes going on hunting trips, but it feels like there's so little functional things to build in your cabin. It's basically a table, a bed, a fireplace and some cellars, and there's nothing else to build really.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Mike posted:

I've finally managed to set up a proper hut on the shore, with a fireplace, a couple of cellars and starting to set up a nearby trapfence to get a more sustainable food income.

I've been using nets to catch fish to smoke with my new fireplace, and sometimes going on hunting trips, but it feels like there's so little functional things to build in your cabin. It's basically a table, a bed, a fireplace and some cellars, and there's nothing else to build really.

Yes but it's iron age Finland, I doubt they actually had anything else besides those things. Maybe they could have a drying rack or something but any more than that would feel out of place I think.

Of note: if you make a bed and put some furs on it, when sleeping on it you get a special message and I think you recover energy faster.

The table also acts as a workbench for the final tanning stage.

The bench is purely aestethical afaik.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TorakFade posted:

Yes but it's iron age Finland, I doubt they actually had anything else besides those things.

looms, tools for working iron, bronze and bone at least

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got some Goshawks buzzing around my home for some reason. They seem specifically interested in my stead. They're raptors, so I doubt they're after my fields, are they trying to eat my dog? :mad: Or can they tell I have meat in my cellar? Maybe they're after the spoiled meat I dumped some distance away? But they wouldn't need to keep buzzing overhead to get that spoiled meat.

I've killed one by hiding and waiting for it to fly close before knocking it out of the sky with a javelin toss (after many misses), but the other is proving a bit smarter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know how well the food chain is considered but logically they could be after grouses that are after your fields/nearby water source.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't notice/care about the lack of furniture because cabins take so much effort to build it's pretty rare I wind up with anything bigger than 3x3 and maybe a dedicated smokehouse on the side.

Chests would be nice for organization, though. They could work like cellars just minus the slowed spoilage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Whoa, URW really has gone through a lot of changes since I last played it. A few years back I remember working on the old wiki with other goons and reverse-engineering the data files to find hidden values about items and the like--good times. Then we lost it all. :(

Is climbing trees on the overworld disabled now? That was the only real use for that skill--though a good one--and it doesn't seem to work.

I'm liking most of the changes though--starting out doesn't seem as piss-easy as it used to be. Still hope they introduce interior walls at some point so that you can make multi-room houses.

• Locked thread