Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
As if 'hypocrisy' was ever a useful argument for or against anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the trump tutelage posted:

No it isn't. Stopping immigration after you've immigrated would be hypocrisy, though, yes. And even then, that presupposes that the pros and cons of immigration do not change.

Complaining about letting a bunch of downtrodden people into the US when (assuming non-native) all our ancestors came here were downtrodden to some extent is a pretty pathetic situation to come from. All I see now is people doing the same lovely behavior that had us send Jews back to extermination in Europe because they were afraid. Sorry, I'm brave enough to hug a man, even if I get stabbed a few times.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Yeah, actually being consistent is one of those unimportant things I guess. But you're a transphobic "leftist", so enjoy your days being stuck in the dust bin of history.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I believe that my enemies should act according to these word games I have been playing with myself; if they don't, then they will not be consistent!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maoist Pussy posted:

I believe that my enemies should act according to these word games I have been playing with myself; if they don't, then they will not be consistent!

Who's the enemy here? The migrants trying to escape the Middle Eastern hellholes that are killing them by the boatload? Or the ones trying to get out of the awful economic situations down south. Obviously, those guys are the enemy and need to be stomped out instead of allowing immigrants the way we historically have.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Can you reply to my post instead of arguing with the pseudo-leftist troll please.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt
If race doesn't exist, that's just super because it means that a lot of problems go away. No more racial achievement gaps, no more white flight, no racial discrimination. All of these things could be effortlessly magic'd away by refusing to classify people by race, destroying records where people are identified by race, and prohibiting collection of data based on ethnicity.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tesseraction posted:

I agree - and I think part of the interesting bit here is we're calling it 'right wing populism' as if it's a monolith, but in the past decade we've started to see multiple strands of separate populisms work together.

On the one hand there's the edgelords from the alt-right, and on the other there's the standard reactionary GOPer. I think the major difference between the two is the pseudo-intellectualism of the alt-right versus the anti-intellectualism fostered by the GOP. There are people who walk the fine line between the two, and those are probably the ones to be wariest of.

It's all roughly the same thing, though. It's the bleating of a bunch of over-privileged white men who see that they are rapidly losing the unearned edge they have over other, more deserving people. The proper answer is to ignore or "oppress" (i.e. arrest them for their swatting and death/rape threats) as appropriate, but they've gotten enough critical mass that they need to lose at the ballot box at least once before they are marginalized enough to lose relevance.

I'd agree that the Milo's of the world who have been trying to make the alt-right palatable to the standard GOP trog voter, but really how many of them didn't think this stuff to begin with? The alt-right is just putting a less polite coat of paint on the same disgusting beliefs held by the rank and file out of the base. I mean, Trump didn't do as well as he did without tapping into the collective rage these people feel in being (rightly IMO) marginalized and replaced.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

on the left posted:

If race doesn't exist, that's just super because it means that a lot of problems go away. No more racial achievement gaps, no more white flight, no racial discrimination. All of these things could be effortlessly magic'd away by refusing to classify people by race, destroying records where people are identified by race, and prohibiting collection of data based on ethnicity.

Doesn't destroy the idea in people's heads, though. And that's where the problem is.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

rkajdi posted:

Who's the enemy here?

You, obviously.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

Hypocrisy in legal protection is unconstitutional.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

Hypocrisy in legal protection is unconstitutional.

Not when it comes to immigration.

Imagine tying yourself to never being 'hypocritical'.

"Well, our ancestors slaughtered the early inhabitants of this land, so, really, it would be hypocritical for us to resist that being done to ourselves."

"Hmm. I have been monopolizing my wife for years... I suppose it is only fair that I let the neighbors have a go at her!"

"Gosh, we have all these nuclear weapons. We should probably let Kim Jong have some too? Its only fair."

The mind reels! A whole new world is opening up before my eyes!

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Maoist Pussy posted:

This is what liberals actually believe!

No, that's what *I* believe. Don't excuse the thread of broad-brush poo poo then do it yourself.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

"Well, our ancestors slaughtered the early inhabitants of this land, so, really, it would be hypocritical for us to resist that being done to ourselves."

Not necessarily hypocrisy if one holds the belief that this was bad and honestly expends considerable effort to atone for it. You don't need to atone by inviting the some same terrible thing on oneself, an eye for an eye isn't justice. If you don't think you there ought to be justice and atonement for this action, then yes, you are a hypocrite if you simultaneously claim to be a just person.

quote:

"Hmm. I have been monopolizing my wife for years... I suppose it is only fair that I let the neighbors have a go at her!"

It's telling that you think your wife is a possession with no agency in this example. YOU haven't been monopolising your wife, she has chosen to only have sex with you (poor women).

quote:

"Gosh, we have all these nuclear weapons. We should probably let Kim Jong have some too? Its only fair."

The North Koreans are not suicidal. They do not want nukes so they can attack and subsequently get their country turned into glass. They want nukes because they want to be taken seriously on the world stage. Is it hypocrisy that we don't let them have nukes? Possibly. But the fundamentals of hypocrisy tend to revolve around the concept of justice, and we have to ask ourselves, is it just that such an oppressive regime base its economic prospects on obtaining a nuclear program so it can bargain for everything else?

RE: Muslim immigration. The Western World is largely acting like hypocrites if they do not accept the peaceful refugees now displaced by their own actions in the region.

Intellectual consistency isn't some trivial word game. You are either consistent, or you're a pigeon making GBS threads on a chessboard. What you say becomes unintelligible because you can hold contradicting beliefs to essentially be true. So, do you gently caress watermelons?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:siren: Please stop replying to Maoist Pussy. :siren:

Although I have to say, if the Trumpism is leaking, it's fitting for the maddest and/or most gimmicky one (with the possible exception of H5N1 :v: ) to end up in this thread.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ocrassus posted:

Intellectual consistency isn't some trivial word game. You are either consistent, or you're a pigeon making GBS threads on a chessboard. What you say becomes unintelligible because you can hold contradicting beliefs to essentially be true. So, do you gently caress watermelons?

The chessboard doesn't determine anything. The verbal comparison doesn't determine anything. This is the problem with the intellectual - he thinks the symbolic structures in his head correspond to reality. He thinks the word predates the world.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

funny way to spell posted:

1. Asian / Pacific Islander
2. North African guy, probably Algerian
3. Euro/Asian mix, probably from a 'stan country

You're close, but I'm afraid you'll have to pick a race for the first guy, North African is not a race, and while the last might have both European and Asian heritage, if he identifies as a specific race, and everyone in his community agrees with his identification, in what sense is he mixed race?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
What if everyone in the "Euro" and "Asian" communities agree he is mixed race?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

He's a Tartar and while it's likely he is mixed race, we can't necessarily assume that's the case. Morphologically he's not much different than any of the autochthonous peoples of Central Asia. If you took an arab man from upper Egypt, who has traits typical of "mixed race" people in the United States, is he mixed race, even if genetic evidence indicates the people of that region have maintained roughly the same traits since time immemorial? Can you have a mixed race person if there's no evidence of admixture? What is the race of a North African man like the one I posted in the second picture?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

The last 30 years watch some movies from the 40s. Lol it's been going on a lot longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T004wx0bYVc

a real solid All-American team... the fightinest crew you ever seen... every creed and color and every belief...

I'd say that at least since World War II we've liked to see ourselves as a diverse nation at least partially as response to Hitler's racial bullshit/crimes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Race doesn't exist in the sense that it has no scientific basis in biology or genetics.

That doesn't mean that racial discrimination doesn't exist, because humans are quite capable of holding unscientific and ignorant beliefs, and of acting on those beliefs in such a way that it causes problems.

For other examples of this phenomenon see: homeopathy, anti-vax nonsense, beliefs that gay marriage causes hurricanes, etc.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 18, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
There was an interesting piece today in the New York Times that touched on a lot of the same questions that the thread originally started with, but put into a more international perspective:

quote:

Austria’s Election Is a Warning to the West

PARIS — On Monday, the Western world may well wake up to the news that, for the first time since the defeat of Nazism, a European country has democratically elected a far-right head of state. Norbert Hofer, of the Austrian Freedom Party, claimed 35 percent of the vote in the first round of the presidential election on April 24. Now he is heading into the second round on Sunday with the two mainstream parties having been eliminated from the runoff and the Social Democratic chancellor, Werner Faymann, having resigned.

One month later, Europeans may wake up to the news that British voters have decided, in their June 23 referendum, that their country should become the first member state to leave the European Union. Many observers fear that would be fatal to the European project itself.

And on April 24, 2017, exactly a year after Mr. Hofer’s first-round victory, the French may well wake up to the news that Marine Le Pen, leader of the far-right National Front, has come out on top in the first round of France’s presidential election. That is what polls say we could expect if the election were held today.

In the meantime, it is not impossible that Donald J. Trump, however low his odds seem now, will have moved into the White House.

We struggle to explain the rise of the far right in its various guises. Immigration is important, but the dynamics predated the refugee crisis. The euro crisis has not helped. High unemployment is crucial in France and Austria, but not an issue in Britain. Chaos in the Arab world, following the fiasco of the American-led invasion of Iraq, fuels new Middle East wars and terrorist attacks in Europe, adding to feelings of insecurity. Globalization, the loss of middle-class jobs, the rise of inequality and anxiety over the European social model have left immense frustration. Everywhere, anger toward ruling elites and mainstream institutions is patent.

Sound familiar? Yes, this is a trans-Atlantic phenomenon. Here and there, surfing on this anger, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson or Marine Le Pen utter statements that would have been unthinkable 10 years ago. By accepting daily verbal assaults on immigrants (“They bring disease”), the European Union (“like Hitler,” it wants to impose one authority over Europe), Islam (not part of Europe; Muslims should not be allowed into the United States), torture (bring it back), we are legitimizing a public discourse that may, one day, translate into political decisions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/opinion/austrias-election-is-a-warning-to-the-west.html

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Periodiko posted:

But this isn't at all how "race" has been traditionally used? Historically, race has been tied to completely superficial physical characteristics, wrapped up in what is in hindsight laughably transparent pseudoscience. There's never been any meaningful attempt by political forces which used the concept to actually square them with any kind of biological reality. It's not used by science for the same reason no one uses Lamarckism or Phrenology or whatever: it's a long debunked concept, superceded by scientific advancement.

Race as a political concept pretty obviously has no scientific meaning. Trying to draw a connection between paper bag tests, or arbitrary declarations of certain European nationalities as not being "white" with actual genetic differences between human populations is incredibly silly. The whole thing is pretty transparently the sort of thinking that only arrives from deciding your conclusion, then working backwards trying to find justifications. ie. the history of racial pseudoscience.

Superficial differences is how race has been (is) used in science though. If two geographically separated groups of animals are differentiated by some visual difference (maybe one has white tails and another brown or something) then they are two different races even if they remain the same species. There are real genetic differences between the groups.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

The last 30 years watch some movies from the 40s. Lol it's been going on a lot longer.

I can't say the depiction of blacks or latinos from older Hollywood movies is anything like what you're suggesting.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

rkajdi posted:

So why aren't Latinos also considered white, since Spaniards are and the Spanish interbred with the native american population to form the bulk of the modern Latino ethnicity? How many non-"white" ancestors are you allowed to have and still call yourself white? And most importantly, what is the objective test to determine race? The paper bag test doesn't exactly work, since you'd have a hard time putting Black Africans into the same category as dark-skinned Asian Indians, for instance.

The only real answer you can give here is "I received a subpar or non-existent level of biology classes when I was in school, and thus am enough of an idiot to believe races are a physically real thing". Go to school and get educated into a decent human instead of whatever mockery you pass off as right now.

Because the definition of white in the US is largely based around having a very large percentage of European DNA and many latinos are visually distinct from whites in the US.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's also involves economics, exploiting hundreds of millions of people is harder for capitalists to justify if they're classified as Us instead of Them.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

Not necessarily hypocrisy if one holds the belief that this was bad and honestly expends considerable effort to atone for it. You don't need to atone by inviting the some same terrible thing on oneself, an eye for an eye isn't justice. If you don't think you there ought to be justice and atonement for this action, then yes, you are a hypocrite if you simultaneously claim to be a just person.

It's telling that you think your wife is a possession with no agency in this example. YOU haven't been monopolising your wife, she has chosen to only have sex with you (poor women).

The North Koreans are not suicidal. They do not want nukes so they can attack and subsequently get their country turned into glass. They want nukes because they want to be taken seriously on the world stage. Is it hypocrisy that we don't let them have nukes? Possibly. But the fundamentals of hypocrisy tend to revolve around the concept of justice, and we have to ask ourselves, is it just that such an oppressive regime base its economic prospects on obtaining a nuclear program so it can bargain for everything else?

RE: Muslim immigration. The Western World is largely acting like hypocrites if they do not accept the peaceful refugees now displaced by their own actions in the region.

The originators of US colonization are long dead and the actions of the elite of have nothing to do with the actions of the common people in the West.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Because the definition of white in the US is largely based around having a very large percentage of European DNA and many latinos are visually distinct from whites in the US.

It's almost like this race thing has no real basis in science....

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I can't say the depiction of blacks or latinos from older Hollywood movies is anything like what you're suggesting.

They were not treated as subhumans as some seem to think.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

BadOptics posted:

It's almost like this race thing has no real basis in science....

So based on the quantification (testable genetic heritage) and simple visual sampling which generally correlates with this, your conclusion is that race has no basis in science? Ok.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

They were not treated as subhumans as some seem to think.

That's correct, I would say most depictions of blacks is as affable background characters usually of minor importance to the white protagonists (there are exceptions of course). Latino depiction seems more mixed. Regardless I wouldn't say it's generally similar to how minorities have been portrayed in the last thirty years and in general the idea of strength through diversity is never very strong in any media I've seen, I guess there are some exceptions.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Superficial differences is how race has been (is) used in science though. If two geographically separated groups of animals are differentiated by some visual difference (maybe one has white tails and another brown or something) then they are two different races even if they remain the same species. There are real genetic differences between the groups.

No one is arguing, or has ever argued that racial categories cannot be used to visually distinguish groups of people in some loose, error-prone way. This has nothing to do with the concept of race, as it has manifested as a political/social concept. You are making a stupid point that has no relation to the argument.

Science has no problem using race as an indicator for certain kinds of genetic diseases which have higher rates of occurrence in certain populations, like sickle cell anemia. This is because genetic diseases are relatively simply spread, and you can find direct correlations with ancestry. Similarly, medical professionals can make connections between diseases like diabetes because of practices (diet, exercise, whatever) common with a given race, ethnic group, or culture. Those connections are demonstrable, and arrived through observation, through science.

None of this has anything to do with the central argument at the heart of European racial categorization, which is not about tendencies of genetic disease, but ridiculous, pseudoscientific arguments about national/racial characters and capabilities. It's stupid and naive to act as if the racial prejudices of societies towards designated out-group minorities living within them have some validity because those people are visually distinguishable. Well no poo poo, those social mechanisms wouldn't work otherwise? What the gently caress kind of argument is that?

No one is arguing that race cannot be used as a shorthand to determine a very general genetic background. No one gives a gently caress about that because that is not how race has been used today or in history.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Periodiko posted:

No one is arguing, or has ever argued that racial categories cannot be used to visually distinguish groups of people in some loose, error-prone way. This has nothing to do with the concept of race, as it has manifested as a political/social concept. You are making a stupid point that has no relation to the argument.

Science has no problem using race as an indicator for certain kinds of genetic diseases which have higher rates of occurrence in certain populations, like sickle cell anemia. This is because genetic diseases are relatively simply spread, and you can find direct correlations with ancestry. Similarly, medical professionals can make connections between diseases like diabetes because of practices (diet, exercise, whatever) common with a given race, ethnic group, or culture. Those connections are demonstrable, and arrived through observation, through science.

None of this has anything to do with the central argument at the heart of European racial categorization, which is not about tendencies of genetic disease, but ridiculous, pseudoscientific arguments about national/racial characters and capabilities. It's stupid and naive to act as if the racial prejudices of societies towards designated out-group minorities living within them have some validity because those people are visually distinguishable. Well no poo poo, those social mechanisms wouldn't work otherwise? What the gently caress kind of argument is that?

No one is arguing that race cannot be used as a shorthand to determine a very general genetic background. No one gives a gently caress about that because that is not how race has been used today or in history.

I took this

Periodiko posted:

But this isn't at all how "race" has been traditionally used? Historically, race has been tied to completely superficial physical characteristics, wrapped up in what is in hindsight laughably transparent pseudoscience. There's never been any meaningful attempt by political forces which used the concept to actually square them with any kind of biological reality. It's not used by science for the same reason no one uses Lamarckism or Phrenology or whatever: it's a long debunked concept, superceded by scientific advancement.

As implying that you were disagreeing about the nature of classification of race via visual differences but I guess we don't strongly disagree then. There are several posts about how race cannot be used to categorize humans or has no scientific basis so I don't think the second point of your reply is really warranted.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Visual differences are a poor way to classify people according to ancestry, ancestral classification is done with Y-chromosomes and by mitochondrial DNA.

When scientists want to figure out how closely two groups of people are related they do genetic assays, they don't pull out paper bags and stick pencils in people's hair and measure noses because those features are mediated by a complex interaction of multiple genes, epigenetics, and environment and we've known for decades how unreliable they are at determining ancestry.

You're peddling pseudoscientific nonsense in 2016 somehow, please don't bleed yourself to death trying to balance your humours or punch holes in your skull to let out the evil spirits.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Interesting theory. Tell me, which one of these people, based on their European DNA exclusively of course, do you think is more white?

Do you think these persons would be treated any differently? Do you think their clothes or accent might change how people perceive them?

If you really dig you might be able to find a few greybeards who do this, but I've never met one. The more modern term is morph, although the term race does appear in my guide to North American birds. It's easy to understand why scientists have switched, what with all the mongoloids incapable of distinguishing populations from races and subspecies.

Why don't you respond to my earlier post. If you saw the man in the first picture I posted on the streets of New York in a cap and basketball jersey speaking in African American vernacular, do you think he would be treated as an African American?

Periodiko posted:

I don't disagree with your general thrust but I want to make it clear that you cannot use race as an indicator for sickle cell anemia, or at least doing so is going to introduce a whole lot more error than you'd like. The pertinent and literal real biological category relevant here is population. Sickle cell anemia is common in many white populations from regions where malaria has been endemic historically, and occurs more frequently in whites from Sicily or Greece than blacks in South Africa. It's also common in parts of India. Far better to use biological categories to analyze these problems than are synthetic cultural groupings.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 19, 2016

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

VitalSigns posted:

Race doesn't exist in the sense that it has no scientific basis in biology or genetics.

That doesn't mean that racial discrimination doesn't exist, because humans are quite capable of holding unscientific and ignorant beliefs, and of acting on those beliefs in such a way that it causes problems.

For other examples of this phenomenon see: homeopathy, anti-vax nonsense, beliefs that gay marriage causes hurricanes, etc.

Unscientific viewpoint: constructing a worldview based entirely on ethnomasochist racial politics and using this framework to neatly lay all problems at the doorstep of racism in some form, ensuring the problem will never be solved ever.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

on the left posted:

ethnomasochist
Boy this is the best honeypot :allears:

Please tell us more about race traitors and cuckservatives please

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes I agree that racism does not cause every single problem in society, not sure what the strawman you're creating has to do with what I said or what it has to do with your original stupid claims that if racial politics are based on unscientific notions than racial discrimination cannot exist.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The originators of US colonization are long dead and the actions of the elite of have nothing to do with the actions of the common people in the West.

Ordinary Americans benefit immensely from the continuing consequences of the crimes of the early colonialists and thus are, to some small degree, part of those crimes. Without colonialism, there would be no such thing as a "first world country". The road to the affluent society is paved with millions upon millions of corpses.

Squalid posted:

It's easy to understand why scientists have switched, what with all the mongoloids incapable of distinguishing populations from races and subspecies.

Dude, way to sabotage your own point. :psyduck:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Ordinary Americans benefit immensely from the continuing consequences of the crimes of the early colonialists and thus are, to some small degree, part of those crimes.

So... rape and children of rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arglebargle III posted:

So... rape and children of rape?

More like children of thieves living off of their parents' stolen goods.

• Locked thread