Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pretty much every state run by these right wing assholes always ends up with terrible economic growth and gigantic income inequality. Yet, somehow, these assholes always get elected back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Mostly it's racism, right? The basis of the Republican party. Like Trump said, build a wall.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Monaghan posted:

Pretty much every state run by these right wing assholes always ends up with terrible economic growth and gigantic income inequality. Yet, somehow, these assholes always get elected back in.

There is an easy solution: Get the gently caress out of the shitstate known as Wisconsin.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

My Imaginary GF posted:

There is an easy solution: Get the gently caress out of the shitstate known as Wisconsin.

But where else will I drink?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

My Imaginary GF posted:

The problem is many of the loving morons who still love Walker are moving to Minnesota because Minnesota is doing great and Wisconsin is a tire fire, and they've learned nothing.

Build a wall around Wisconsin.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Deki posted:

The problem is many of the loving morons who still love Walker are moving to Minnesota because Minnesota is doing great and Wisconsin is a tire fire, and they've learned nothing.

Hey the closest Aldi to Duluth is in Wisconsin. Albeit Superior is like a mini Detroit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey the closest Aldi to Duluth is in Wisconsin. Albeit Superior is like a mini Detroit.

Aldi is the Family Dollar of grocery stores: it signals poverty.

Superior is what I imagine hell to be. Duluth, super loving easy to break into. I have a vision for the region, a vision which includes highspeed rail from Chicago connecting to the cities and bypassing everywhere in WI but for Madison; a vision which tears down all the easy transit between superior and duluth, because gently caress making life easier for cheeseheads; a vision which trades Minnesota Nice for some more of your cow-poo poo beer state's cheese. In conclusion, gently caress Wisconsin. gently caress Wisconsin.

There is that one semi-decent beer and pizza place, tho.

Deki posted:

Theres already a series of natural moats. Problem is, nobody has the foresight to realize the cheeseheads have bridged the moats in too many places to control for their migrations.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 20, 2016

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Oh MIGF, you're like our own, Surly-drinking, Jastiger. :3:

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 20, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Superior is what I imagine hell to be. Duluth, super loving easy to break into. I have a vision for the region, a vision which includes highspeed rail from Chicago connecting to the cities and bypassing everywhere in WI but for Madison; a vision which tears down all the easy transit between superior and duluth, because gently caress making life easier for cheeseheads; a vision which trades Minnesota Nice for some more of your cow-poo poo beer state's cheese. In conclusion, gently caress Wisconsin. gently caress Wisconsin.

Theres already a series of natural moats. Problem is, nobody has the foresight to realize the cheeseheads have bridged the moats in too many places to control for their migrations.

Lol America. Aldi > Walmart etc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wonder how long it will take for substantial backlash against the likes of Walker in Wisconsin and Brownback in Kansas for people to look around at the assorted desolation that used to be their state and boot them out of office? Is it just that they talk a good game on boostraps and Republican social issues so they're still getting a free pass?

If the history of southern states is any guide, worsening conditions lead to greater desperation and a degenerating cycle where more desperation elects more Republicans which causes more desperation etc.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

YOu know for some reason I am reading this as though Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit were speaking. Also Aldi is the best, its like the off market Trader Joes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
This is all a lie. After all, Wisconsin kicked those teachers out of their union so now they don't get paid well above comfort living for doing nothing. How many fridges and microwaves do you need, anyways?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What kind of a person doesn't love Aldi I mean loving really.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shbobdb posted:

Wisconsin has always been hella racist. It just took 9/11 for people to remember that. Segregation set the stage for the brain drain.

I'm more confused why Minn is so resilient. Michigan and Wisconsin fell like dominos man.

We have a lot of stupid people on both sides of the political spectrum in michigan that bought snyder's bullshit. right after he brought out the right to work bullshit it woke a lot up that yeah, he was a bad choice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Shbobdb posted:

Wisconsin has always been hella racist. It just took 9/11 for people to remember that. Segregation set the stage for the brain drain.

I'm more confused why Minn is so resilient. Michigan and Wisconsin fell like dominos man.

As has been said, the unions in the northern part of the state are a huge help. But I think part of what helps is that Minnesota is kind of a local high point, quality-wise? Because we've managed to be at a good point now (despite previous governors being Jesse Ventura and Tim "Who?" Pawlenty), people fleeing the surrounding states wound up here (because where the hell else are you going to go?), and while I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up, I feel like that would tend to be more liberal/educated people who are inclined and able to do that.

That's not to say that we're perfect or anything, but I feel like politically we do the best out of our region.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

You have no idea how many people think they're too good for Aldi because those people shop there.

A gently caress load of people will happily pay more for stuff just so they can say they didn't shop at the cheapest place. Which is stupid because Aldi gets good stuff. It isn't always the big name brands everybody knows but whatever who cares?

Other people just hate bagging their own groceries and are all like "well other places bag my groceries and take my cart for me so Aldi should too."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

White people who do not live in walkable communities.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You have no idea how many people think they're too good for Aldi because those people shop there.

A gently caress load of people will happily pay more for stuff just so they can say they didn't shop at the cheapest place. Which is stupid because Aldi gets good stuff. It isn't always the big name brands everybody knows but whatever who cares?

Other people just hate bagging their own groceries and are all like "well other places bag my groceries and take my cart for me so Aldi should too."

Sometimes you just can't find a quarter to get a shopping cart.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, can we rename the thread to WISPOL or something similar and adjust the OP to collect that ongoing shitstorm of entrenched GOP politics in Wisconsin?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I am not a book posted:

Oh MIGF, you're like our own, Surly-drinking, Jastiger. :3:

Guess who just got a weeks' worth of New Glarus at a gently caress'n shithole Aldi's?

Know what I gently caress'n did before that?

I bought squaky cheese and two pounds of sharp, 21 year old craft cheddar. Why? Two pounds = 1 pizza, you cheeseheads with poo poo taste in pizza.

Know what I didn't do?

I didn't purchase the cutest loving ever spring sweater in Wisconsin, because your state is poo poo for manufacturing everything. Absolute last! Horrible, can't loving make an adorbs sweater for my niece.

Wisconsin is such a mess! Y'all hosed up, now get the gently caress out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Theres actually an Aldis in shithole WV.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

The Lord of Hats posted:

As has been said, the unions in the northern part of the state are a huge help. But I think part of what helps is that Minnesota is kind of a local high point, quality-wise? Because we've managed to be at a good point now (despite previous governors being Jesse Ventura and Tim "Who?" Pawlenty), people fleeing the surrounding states wound up here (because where the hell else are you going to go?), and while I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up, I feel like that would tend to be more liberal/educated people who are inclined and able to do that.

That's not to say that we're perfect or anything, but I feel like politically we do the best out of our region.

The Northeastern part of the state isn't as union and mining dependent as it historically has been. Environmentalism is definitely driving a wedge between MSP and the Range, but the North Shore/Woods as a whole are embracing environmentalism in a bigger way, because tourism and sustainable forestry are both enormous parts of their economy. The culture itself is also extremely progressive and chock full of Norwegians and Finns who are loathe to vote for the party of bosses and pigs. Back in 1978 everyone expected the Range and the Metro to split forever over the BWCA, and a lot of controversy over the new mines has to do with possible contamination of the BWCA, but I think the concern is a bit overblown. Tourism, logging, and green energy jobs are going to overtake mining as the key industries in the near future, and those workers will in all likelihood vote DFL.

Speaking of the North Shore, Wisconsin recently repealed all of their regulations on commercial fishing on Lake Superior (because of course they did) and now commercial fishermen in Minnesota are getting completely hosed.

edit: for sources Minnpost on economic changes in the Iron Range.

Taken together, tourism (5%) and logging (3%) make up 2/3 as much economic activity as mining (12%). In all, only 4,200 people are actually employed by mining operations in the Iron Range these days, from roughly 15,000 in 1979.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 21, 2016

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Guess who just got a weeks' worth of New Glarus at a gently caress'n shithole Aldi's?

Know what I gently caress'n did before that?

I bought squaky cheese and two pounds of sharp, 21 year old craft cheddar. Why? Two pounds = 1 pizza, you cheeseheads with poo poo taste in pizza.

Know what I didn't do?

I didn't purchase the cutest loving ever spring sweater in Wisconsin, because your state is poo poo for manufacturing everything. Absolute last! Horrible, can't loving make an adorbs sweater for my niece.

Wisconsin is such a mess! Y'all hosed up, now get the gently caress out.

lol bruh I'm a proud Minnesotan. RedWing :whatup:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Well at least Walkers apporval ratings are still in the negative. So is there anyone competent planning to run for the dems to retake the state?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Well at least Walkers apporval ratings are still in the negative. So is there anyone competent planning to run for the dems to retake the state?

lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Starving the Beast working as intended.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can any of you explain why for instance the Dems cannot run anyone to retake the state?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Can any of you explain why for instance the Dems cannot run anyone to retake the state?

Russ Feingold is literally the only Democrat in the entire state now that Charles Woodson is gone.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Russ Feingold is literally the only Democrat in the entire state now that Charles Woodson is gone.

What about running either Ron Kind or Gwen Moore?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I get a weird feeling the people leaving the state tend to mostly be Democrats.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The state's media is dominated by the rightwing. AM 620 is the go to for all things sports in the state and it also happens to be right-wing as gently caress.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

The state's media is dominated by the rightwing. AM 620 is the go to for all things sports in the state and it also happens to be right-wing as gently caress.

Are you really suggesting a dying media type is all the right needs to destroy Wisconsin?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Are you really suggesting a dying media type is all the right needs to destroy Wisconsin?

In Wisconsin? Charlie Sykes is pretty much credited with destroying Trump and handing the state to Cruz.

There's also the whole white state slowly demographically changing, loss of industry, tea party wave, etc...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So have Dems basically written Wisconsin off and are now leaving the state to their own disastrous devices?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So have Dems basically written Wisconsin off and are now leaving the state to their own disastrous devices?

There's still a few good ones. Back when the dems fled the state I was very impressed with Peter Barca standing up and fighting against the emergency voting bullshit.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's probably not a bad idea to have a few failed states lying around to remind people what happens when you hand Republicans control of a government.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Speaking of the North Shore, Wisconsin recently repealed all of their regulations on commercial fishing on Lake Superior (because of course they did) and now commercial fishermen in Minnesota are getting completely hosed.

That's because they're done loving Lake Michigan into a barren wasteland of water

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SocketWrench posted:

That's because they're done loving Lake Michigan into a barren wasteland of water

I would argue that it's a grave mistake to write off Wisconsin, if the Democratic Party can take Louisiana it can and should try to return Wisconsin to the fold.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Democrats don't bother with anything so gauche as state level politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

Democrats don't bother with anything so gauche as state level politics.

Look Wisconsin for its many faults is not Indiana it has a history of decent people it has a history of the Democratic Party providing effective government. The fact two of the states bordering it are all but dominated by democrats suggests that if a proper effort was made to revitalize the party the state along with Iowa could be taken out of the Abyss. Also everything about Superior outside of that Aldi is depressing like the town has never recovered from the 70s . There are in fact two empty whole strip malls.

• Locked thread