Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
As long as a certain VCR repair shop don't go under everything will be fine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

As long as a certain VCR repair shop don't go under everything will be fine...

There actually is a empty storefront that says vcr repair in Superior. Also it has a video store that still rents videos and charges you loving 3 dollars for 3 nights.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So have Dems basically written Wisconsin off and are now leaving the state to their own disastrous devices?

Yeah the democratic party has been hilariously bad nationwide in the last decade and Wisconsin is a swing state which just makes it weirder. You see this narrative over and over, it's not just that Republicans have a good ground game in a lot of states, it's that opposition is not strong.

I met a fellow Wisconsinite from Antigo who had worked on the Feingold campaign staff. We met in China. That tells you a lot about small town demographics in Wisconsin. The farming and mining towns are red because they're aging rapidly as anyone with the ability to leave does so.

In the north woods you get communities where the young people are overwhelmingly rednecks. Anyone who isn't committed to a lifetime of bar hopping and service/tourism industry work gets out. Everybody in that town knows someone who's been killed in a drunk snowmobile accident. Seems like there's a few every year just in the high school. In college I was a camp counselor up there and had a student whose mother was decapitated by a tree driving (a snowmobile) drunk over 60 at night.

The people who do leave either leave the state or self-segregate into a college town which means in the gerrymandered WI state congress they have no power.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 21, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In actual news: Walker and his buddies are trying to eliminate tenure in the UW system now. Because of course they want to destroy the last good thing in this state.

You'd think Walker's out of town friends would understand that if you offer wages and benefits under everybody else in the market you won't get any decent employees but oh wait the Kochs inherited their money and their only skill set is hiring lawyers.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I chose specifically to not go to the UW business school and instead am heading up to Carlson at the U of Minnesota because of the fuckery with the state's education system (which is historically great - like most of the Big Ten).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Seriously though why have the national dems just given up on actually fighting for anything? Why the supine attitude?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Seriously though why have the national dems just given up on actually fighting for anything? Why the supine attitude?

There's an attitude amongst a lot of liberals that the places are worthless already and if you don't want to live under a libertarian government doing its best to burn down every state institution you should move to an already overcrowded coastal megapolis and try to eke out an existence

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pope Guilty posted:

Because the ones that aren't already too greedy/detached from the voters are convinced that the only way to win votes is to chase the Republicans to the right. Plus gerrymandering and voter suppression and all that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pope Guilty posted:

They keep getting their asses kicked in non-Presidential election years anyway, which if I'm not mistaken is when the majority of governors are elected. Also 40% of the country has a death wish and at some point I guess you're kinda like "okay". I know I am.

They're not going to take total control of the government in some of these places, and any gains they do manage will just be used against them to lay the blame for disastrous GOP policies at their feet. Better that people like Brownback and Walker be allowed to do pretty much whatever they want - otherwise they'll just complain that the loving DEMONRATS didn't let them sell off every last state asset (just most of them) nor turn the public schools into literal sweatshops, and welp sorry guys that's why you've got to sell your kids for medical experiments. Remember that conservative policies are loving awesome it's just that any interference ruins it completely of course. That's why Jimmy Carter was able to cause the 2008 financial meltdown 28 years after leaving office - he helped poor people buy homes, the fucker! Nothing to do with GWB at all!

I mean, they'll still try to blame everything on Obama and (hopefully) Hillary of course, but we can't let the whole country twist in the wind.

Again:

Kilroy posted:

It's probably not a bad idea to have a few failed states lying around to remind people what happens when you hand Republicans control of a government.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, consider too that if you're a millenial, you're probably moving to a city for job/education. Milwaukee is the largest job market in the state but riddled with issues that make it unattractive, meanwhile Minneapolis is home to more Fortune 500 companies than anywhere else and Chicago is Chicago. Madison is better for school and life, but it's also smaller.

It's likely that millenials may return to Wisconsin on the future, but as it stands they're better off pursuing careers out of state.

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 21, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rscott posted:

There's an attitude amongst a lot of liberals that the places are worthless already and if you don't want to live under a libertarian government doing its best to burn down every state institution you should move to an already overcrowded coastal megapolis and try to eke out an existence

Which makes no sense if LA shows anything it's that these states that are bad except maybe Okie are quite redeemable.

Wik
Mar 5, 2010
They just need investment a bank gov grants and loans

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kilroy posted:

They keep getting their asses kicked in non-Presidential election years anyway, which if I'm not mistaken is when the majority of governors are elected. Also 40% of the country has a death wish and at some point I guess you're kinda like "okay". I know I am.

They're not going to take total control of the government in some of these places, and any gains they do manage will just be used against them to lay the blame for disastrous GOP policies at their feet. Better that people like Brownback and Walker be allowed to do pretty much whatever they want - otherwise they'll just complain that the loving DEMONRATS didn't let them sell off every last state asset (just most of them) nor turn the public schools into literal sweatshops, and welp sorry guys that's why you've got to sell your kids for medical experiments. Remember that conservative policies are loving awesome it's just that any interference ruins it completely of course. That's why Jimmy Carter was able to cause the 2008 financial meltdown 28 years after leaving office - he helped poor people buy homes, the fucker! Nothing to do with GWB at all!

I mean, they'll still try to blame everything on Obama and (hopefully) Hillary of course, but we can't let the whole country twist in the wind.

Again:

Yeah it's this guy. That's why Dems don't try in state elections, even in swing states.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 21, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's this guy. That's why Dems don't yet in state elections, even in swing states.

The Dems could do without the full accelerationists.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
If Wisconsin wants to keep young professional people (Walker obviously doesn't) they need to start treating Milwaukee like an asset.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

If Wisconsin wants to keep young professional people (Walker obviously doesn't) they need to start treating Milwaukee like an asset.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the democratic party has been hilariously bad nationwide in the last decade and Wisconsin is a swing state which just makes it weirder. You see this narrative over and over, it's not just that Republicans have a good ground game in a lot of states, it's that opposition is not strong.

I met a fellow Wisconsinite from Antigo who had worked on the Feingold campaign staff. We met in China. That tells you a lot about small town demographics in Wisconsin. The farming and mining towns are red because they're aging rapidly as anyone with the ability to leave does so.

In the north woods you get communities where the young people are overwhelmingly rednecks. Anyone who isn't committed to a lifetime of bar hopping and service/tourism industry work gets out. Everybody in that town knows someone who's been killed in a drunk snowmobile accident. Seems like there's a few every year just in the high school. In college I was a camp counselor up there and had a student whose mother was decapitated by a tree driving (a snowmobile) drunk over 60 at night.

The people who do leave either leave the state or self-segregate into a college town which means in the gerrymandered WI state congress they have no power.

Wisconsin's not a presidential swing state except in the fever dreams of GOP operatives. It hasn't gone red since 1984. The state party is a trainwreck but that's because Milwaukee is a trainwreck.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 21, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Milwaukee is surrounded by an army of wealthy, blood-red, upper middle class white suburbanites who want to burn the city to the ground and salt the earth because it's full of poor blacks and Mexicans. The GOP will never treat it as an asset

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 21, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

icantfindaname posted:

Milwaukee is surrounded by an army of wealthy, blood-red, upper middle class white suburbanites who want to burn the city to the ground and salt the earth because it's full of poor blacks and Mexicans. The GOP will never treat it as an asset

Then, yeah, Wisconsin is just going to keep young talent to places like MSP and Chicago. Walker &co appear perfectly happy with that plan, because old, wealthy, white douchebags will keep them in power. By the time anything can be done about it, they'll have stripped everything to the bone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minnesota is a much better state especially the Twin Cities.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Then, yeah, Wisconsin is just going to keep young talent to places like MSP and Chicago. Walker &co appear perfectly happy with that plan, because old, wealthy, white douchebags will keep them in power. By the time anything can be done about it, they'll have stripped everything to the bone.

Nah Milwakke isn't going anywhere and will continue to grow, the rural areas will die and the suburbanites will be otunumbered. Then I would suggest once dems retake the state they do everything legally they can to turn the suburbs to hellscapes.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Nah Milwakke isn't going anywhere and will continue to grow, the rural areas will die and the suburbanites will be otunumbered. Then I would suggest once dems retake the state they do everything legally they can to turn the suburbs to hellscapes.

I fully approve of turning Waukesha County into a giant FEMA concentration camp Red Dawn style

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

I fully approve of turning Waukesha County into a giant FEMA concentration camp Red Dawn style

I just hate exburbs. Their as my avatar would say "full of losers" who think they can play frontiersman but still go shop at Sams CLub, and Target. They like to whine about moochers in the city and then demand sidewalks, and the roads to said Sam's Clubs, and Targets get repaved every year, and demand USPS give them the service it gives to locations actually near its offices.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 22, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Have we discussed in this thread yet the recent report on the 20 drunkest cities in America? Wisconsin has 12 of them...

http://www.milwaukeemag.com/2016/05/17/most-of-americas-drunkest-cities-are-in-wisconsin/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pope Guilty posted:

Most people who subscribe to the Democratic Party believe that they are unwinnable due to gerrymandering. The real reason is that the DNC loving sucks.

Milwaukee? Do you mean The City of Unruly Blacks as most call it?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Boon posted:

Have we discussed in this thread yet the recent report on the 20 drunkest cities in America? Wisconsin has 12 of them...

http://www.milwaukeemag.com/2016/05/17/most-of-americas-drunkest-cities-are-in-wisconsin/

Already got a handle on it. Do you happen to be a drunk WI resident at the moment? We have a group for that. We meet at your local pub from 7-midnight everynight.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

I chose specifically to not go to the UW business school and instead am heading up to Carlson at the U of Minnesota because of the fuckery with the state's education system (which is historically great - like most of the Big Ten).

Carlson's good. Eat lunch at the Afro Deli across the street erryday. I pretty much lived on Chicken Fantastic when I was living over there.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
One of my job prospects is at a plant in Waukesha and I'm unsurprised that it turns out to be a lily-white suburb of an actual city. Close enough to take advantage of the breweries, far enough to avoid contributing a penny of taxes, I suppose?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

etalian posted:

Minnesota is a much better state especially the Twin Cities.

WISPOL - Smug Minnesotans ITT

The Democrats really should put more effort in at the state level, but the fact that their voter base is young people leaving Wisconsin does make that rough. How do you even go about countering that? Obviously "CUT CORPORATE TAXES" doesn't work. Do you just have to crank up the education funding and accept that there's going to be a long lead time on having an educated enough workforce to attract business?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

The Lord of Hats posted:

WISPOL - Smug Minnesotans ITT

The Democrats really should put more effort in at the state level, but the fact that their voter base is young people leaving Wisconsin does make that rough. How do you even go about countering that? Obviously "CUT CORPORATE TAXES" doesn't work. Do you just have to crank up the education funding and accept that there's going to be a long lead time on having an educated enough workforce to attract business?

It's just putting in the ounce of effort.

Also, RE: Walker and right wing radio. I read an article a year or two back that talked about how Walker's radioshow helped him rally the conservative base around Milwaukee, and helped catapult him to the governorship. Do not underestimate any media.

Also, Minnesota is loving awesome. Shouts out to St. Paul!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

Well, consider too that if you're a millenial, you're probably moving to a city for job/education.

This gets repeated a lot in a lot of different D&D threads, but it's not quite the whole story. The number of millenials leaving cities is still greater than the number entering, it's just that the difference isn't as huge as it was in the past. They also tend to leave in even greater numbers than previous generations once they get a little older, and a majority still want to live outside of the city. The death of suburbs is being greatly exaggerated and it leads to a lot of questionable analysis on a lot of different topics.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's just putting in the ounce of effort.

Also, RE: Walker and right wing radio. I read an article a year or two back that talked about how Walker's radioshow helped him rally the conservative base around Milwaukee, and helped catapult him to the governorship. Do not underestimate any media.

Also, Minnesota is loving awesome. Shouts out to St. Paul!

Talk radio serving the Milwaukee suburbs is pretty much the pinnacle of the right wing media machine. Very popular, tightly coordinated, and ideologically orthodox in a way that someone like Rush, who tends to bend in that regard for ratings, often isn't. If the whole GOP apparatus worked as tightly and smoothly as the one here does Trump wouldn't have come close to the nomination. In the three counties surrounding Milwaukee you probably have the single largest concentrated population of prime Republican voters (white-flight, upper middle class Boomer suburbanites) in the entire country, and the Republicans have capitalized on that extremely well, compared to the Democrats who are a rolling disaster on the state level here and have pretty much completely failed to align their bases of support (urban poor, young educated liberals, rural whites) the way the DFL in Minnesota has. Unfortunately I don't really see a way out, steady bleed-off of educated young people means that liberals aren't getting any kind of numerical advantage over time. I think Reaganism will survive here for a long time after it's dead on the national level

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 22, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The state legislature is considering a bill to let chiropractors prescribe opiates. It's like Republicans saw the national heroin pandemic and thought "poo poo, we're falling behind!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's not easy for WI dems. The liberal core of groups like Progressive Dane come from the white flight suburbs. That results in racial segregation on the progressive left. In Milwaukee, you've got Union racism (the southside Poles always seemed particularly racist, but I imagine they say the same thing about the northside Germans) to further divide the left.

The issue is black and white.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rscott posted:

I'm sorry if some of my posts have given you that impression, since I have mentioned how we are seeing the realization of Judge Dredd / cyberpunk - but that is bleak no matter where you live - getting the world we deserve. The only form of resistance could resemble a nomadic lifestyle where one refuses institutional usury (mortgage/property tax/rents) as much as possible - Radical Homelessness. If people vote for a certain politician - or can't be bothered to participate at all - if there is just no will to unionize, then so be it.

It might sound naive to talk about the 'Holy Spirit' but that is the concept of altruism that transcends all sentiment and chauvinism. The issue of unions and racism is a modern crisis - and it can be boiled down to how you answer the 'Is-Ought' gap - the popular answer today is Dawkins.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The weakness of WI democrats is basically the tale of Mike Tate's hubris. He's the absolute epitome of play-it-safe third-wayism and after Tom Barrett was soundly rejected by Wisconsin Tate squandered the recall by throwing his weight behind giving Tom a do-over. Then in the next election he put his weight into Actual Non-Entity Mary Burke because he cannot do anything but attempt to appeal to the non-existent middle.

He's fired now, so maybe hopefully we can start building up actual interesting leftist candidates?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

One of my friend's is Tom Barret's nephew in law. He claims that Tom is a good man and didn't want to run against Walker during the recount, but only did so in order for the state not to turn gently caress over.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

punk rebel ecks posted:

One of my friend's is Tom Barret's nephew in law. He claims that Tom is a good man and didn't want to run against Walker during the recount, but only did so in order for the state not to turn gently caress over.

That makes no god drat sense.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Paradoxish posted:

This gets repeated a lot in a lot of different D&D threads, but it's not quite the whole story. The number of millenials leaving cities is still greater than the number entering, it's just that the difference isn't as huge as it was in the past. They also tend to leave in even greater numbers than previous generations once they get a little older, and a majority still want to live outside of the city. The death of suburbs is being greatly exaggerated and it leads to a lot of questionable analysis on a lot of different topics.

At least around here, they're just going from suburbs to exurbs.

It's pissing me off locally as a bunch of land that used to be nice fields is now lovely McCountryMansions on a acre each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That makes no god drat sense.

Please explain.

• Locked thread