Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just came across this.

quote:

Poverty in Wisconsin hit its highest level in 30 years during the five-year period ending in 2014, even as the nation's economy was recovering from the Great Recession, according to a trend analysis of U.S. census data just released by University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers.

The number of Wisconsin residents living in poverty averaged 13% across that post-recession time frame — the highest since 1984, according to the analysis by UW-Madison's Applied Population Laboratory. In 1984, the poverty rate peaked at 15.5% as the nation was recovering from a double-dip recession.

The UW-Madison analysis dovetails with an unrelated study that identified pockets of the country faring worse as the economic recovery gains some traction, released Thursday by a national nonprofit research group in Washington, D.C.

That study, by the Economic Innovation Group, found the gap between the richest and poorest American communities widening, and ranked Milwaukee the seventh most distressed city in America, with 52% of the population considered economically distressed.

Poverty increased more dramatically across Wisconsin than in many other states, though 46 of the 50 states saw a significant increase in total population living in poverty between the five-year periods ending in 2009 and 2014, according to the UW-Madison analysis.

Obviously much more at link. Those cuts and stomping unions sure did the state good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

karthun posted:

I know many people from Wisc who have moved to Minneapolis and have no intention of ever moving back. Walker has destroyed that state.

It's crazy how common this is.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Wisconsin has always been hella racist. It just took 9/11 for people to remember that. Segregation set the stage for the brain drain.

My supervisor who recently moved to Wisconsin said the change in racial attitudes of whites between Illinois and Wisconsin are very noticeable. He says Wisconsin is far more racist than Illinois.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

Which part of Illinois? Southern Illinois is straight up neo-confederate.

He grew up in North Chicago. Not North-Side of Chicago, but the city of North Chicago, right by Waukegan. I believe he eventually moved to a nicer area in Illinois in Lake County and is now living in Kenosha.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

I'm more confused why Minn is so resilient. Michigan and Wisconsin fell like dominos man.

Doesn't Minnesota, unlike most other states, has a strong rural white vote due to the Democratic-Farmer Labor Party?

Bip Roberts posted:

Ah yeah, Kenosha is horrible.

I was the RA at the university there. The amount of complaints I got about the Black Student Union was insane. One kid in particular insisted they kept having parties in the building all the time during winter break. The problem is that I was on campus during the entire winter break and knew that wasn't true. A fair share of the whites there were mostly middle and working class and it was easy to see their disdain toward the blacks. "They get all of the Financial Aid money because they are black while I get nothing! (proceeds to not apply for scholarships)!:smugbird:"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Seriously though why have the national dems just given up on actually fighting for anything? Why the supine attitude?

Most people who subscribe to the Democratic Party believe that they are unwinnable due to gerrymandering. The real reason is that the DNC loving sucks.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

If Wisconsin wants to keep young professional people (Walker obviously doesn't) they need to start treating Milwaukee like an asset.

Milwaukee? Do you mean The City of Unruly Blacks as most call it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

One of my friend's is Tom Barret's nephew in law. He claims that Tom is a good man and didn't want to run against Walker during the recount, but only did so in order for the state not to turn gently caress over.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That makes no god drat sense.

Please explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Tom Barret's do-over was one of the factors that depressed democratic turnover for the recall. There was a wide perception that the recall became about the dems being sore losers. If Tom Barret's motivation for stepping in again was a fear that otherwise Walker would win, he basically guaranteed Walker's victory. The Wisconsin Dems have done badly in recent times because they've become ineffective centrists and Barret is perceived as a living manifestation of that.

Maybe it is evidence of how disconnected the party is?

• Locked thread