Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #102, we apparently become the king I think? Honestly confused what just happened.

In episode #103, DrTempest's computer explodes (again) and we enter Naxxramas Aldia's Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So by the way that lever freed the assassin, and you are correct that he becomes an Invader. Not releasing him lets you either visit him for quests to kill other npcs or if you're a human an alternate personality that sells you things because he's a Royal Sorcerer.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

So by the way that lever freed the assassin, and you are correct that he becomes an Invader. Not releasing him lets you either visit him for quests to kill other npcs or if you're a human an alternate personality that sells you things because he's a Royal Sorcerer.

Does killing him prevent him from invading?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I appreciate how the hoping for mimics has worked out here.

Also the critters on Aldia's lawn were inflicting petrify.

Addamere posted:

Live with the consequences of your uncontrollable leverlust.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

I appreciate how the hoping for mimics has worked out here.

Also the critters on Aldia's lawn were inflicting petrify.

Live with the consequences of your uncontrollable leverlust.

By the way, what's the thing here at 14:15 that causes us to explode and die?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Throne Watcher and Defender have always seemed a bit odd to me, since unlike most other multi-enemy boss fights in the Souls series there's not enough variety between their attacks to separate them by moveset, and there's also no terrain to meaningfully pull them apart for a quick strike. There's no need to feel dirty about looking for cooperation against them, since they're not well-designed to begin with and you can just grab one or two distractions to help out. There's one other fight in this game that I'd recommend summoning for, but in that case it's actually a good fight further enhanced by grabbing some friends. (You'll probably know it when you see it.) And as for that room...try checking back there later.

How much would you like to know or be hinted at in terms of this game's ending? There are two possible choices (as with all previous Souls games), but one of those options requires doing a few things before engaging the final encounter.

Addamere posted:

The false Crystal Lizards explode upon death. The same thing happens if you try to engage the one in lower Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 27, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Addamere posted:

That's a red titanite lizard. They make you think "Oooooh upgrade materials!" and then explode when you chase after it. They drop nothing.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NGDBSS posted:

How much would you know to know or be hinted at in terms of this game's ending? There are two possible choices (as with all previous Souls games), but one of those options requires doing a few things before engaging the final encounter.
The false Crystal Lizards explode upon death. The same thing happens if you try to engage the one in lower Brightstone Cove Tseldora.

We'll ask if we remember to, and decide we want it. Let's just stay blind for now.

And also those false lizards are hilarious. Are they just one-time appearances?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Addamere posted:

A red barrel that happens to look like a fleeing loot pinata. Like their normal counterpart, they do not respawn.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Addamere posted:

Actually I believe it does in fact stop him from invading if you kill him right then and there. However it also means you can never buy his pyromancy and sorcery spells, and he's the only location some of them are available from.

I will say one thing for the Throne Watcher/Defender fight, it feels very different to Ornstein and Smough for being the same type of fight. You have to kill them equally for one thing and they actually like each-other enough to revive their partner when downed, instead of just using them to power up. They also come to each-others aide over staying separate and in general are a much better team than Ornstein and Smough, if individually less capable.

It also is somewhat interesting that one of them appears to be an Old Knight that hasn't become Old, and the other is very similar to a Heide Knight.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 30, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The Throne Watcher/Defender fight can end up significantly harder in certain conditions that you'll never meet now that they're dead.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
By the by, check your key items. You picked up a Frozen ... something or other back in Castle Drangleic that you never looked at.

Also the Chicken Wing is mighty powerful :stare:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #105, we fight red phantoms and punch a dragon.

In episode #106, we get stuck in Dragon Aerie and wander off to Iron Passage.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I really get this vibe that you guys want to kill each other sometimes.

And I love it. :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I'm personally of the opinion that the Iron Passage is the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas, as I actually like the one in the third dlc and the one in the first dlc is relatively easy to dash through.

Also the gimmick they're trying to get people to do is that you have one person take the low route and the other take the high route in tandem. This is the worst multiplayer gimmick because it's actually impossible to do single player, whereas the other multiplayer areas just tend to have a higher than average number of enemies.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

So I'm personally of the opinion that the Iron Passage is the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas, as I actually like the one in the third dlc and the one in the first dlc is relatively easy to dash through.

Also the gimmick they're trying to get people to do is that you have one person take the low route and the other take the high route in tandem. This is the worst multiplayer gimmick because it's actually impossible to do single player, whereas the other multiplayer areas just tend to have a higher than average number of enemies.
It's not impossible, just difficult and finicky to weave around all the enemies in addition to the blasts. (That said, yes it's the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas.)

As for Dragon Aerie...it's one of the most picturesque locations I've ever seen in a video game. And also a very good reason to bring out your bow, with the changes made in Scholar that added a number of Undead Citizens.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The feather the herald gave you is among your consumable items, you'll definitely want to take a look at it if you haven't already.

Also there was a zipline.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Intentionally not reading spoilers.

Iron Passage is a dick. Dragon Aerie is pretty, but it seems awfully small? I know there has to be some way forward we didn't see, maybe a secret door or just something hidden behind a corner we didn't see? Hmm.

Also! I did look at that feather. It seems OP.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hit 5:20 in episode 106 and watch the interaction prompts.

As for the feather, at this point in the game, not really? Aside from unlimited uses compared to bone home, the risks and limitations are still there, and it doesn't directly contribute to your progress like other use items do. It's a quality of life improvement, fit for a king.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Addamere posted:

Intentionally not reading spoilers.

Iron Passage is a dick. Dragon Aerie is pretty, but it seems awfully small? I know there has to be some way forward we didn't see, maybe a secret door or just something hidden behind a corner we didn't see? Hmm.

Also! I did look at that feather. It seems OP.
You could buy unlimited bones ever since opening the way to Drangleic Castle*, and 800 (?) each is a pittance. It's purely quality of life.

Dragon Aerie didn't use to have the statue blocking the entrance in Vanilla, and the ladder wasn't down; that was a shortcut. So you had to go over the bridge, do everything afterwards, then reach the top, kick down the ladder and then - in case you still haven't figured it out - remember a method of progress in Tseldora from long, long ago.

In Scholar, you can just skip to the top and the long loop upwards to above the starting area is just for goodies. It's a weird change, and if you don't know how it looked like, will leave you confused as hell for sure.

Echoing the hate for Iron Passage. It's conceptually and even more so in execution completely unfun. Don't do it, there's not even anything good in there.

* that's bullshit by the way if you want to farm stuff early, at some point you just run out of bones and wonder why the gently caress they did that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the Bonfire in Aldia's Keep you didn't find? Behind a hidden door, and not even on that is even close to obvious. It's halfway down the staircase to the acid area. Also, another change for Scholar and I don't know what triggers it exactly - at some point, maybe after finishing up this path, you might want to more or less randomly return to the first room of the Keep, with the mirror dudes. I promise it's worth it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, you guys would find a whole lot more bonfires if you actually bothered to read messages.

EDIT: Oh, if you want Titanite chunks, the best way to farm them is with the Bell Keepers covenant. Winning as or defeating an invader from that covenant frequently rewards you with it. It's also pretty common as far as Dark Souls PvP areas go, which means it's still probably deserted aside from the occasional person in stupid gimmick builds, but you'll at least see them occasionally. I'd recommend Belfry Sol. That seemed to get a lot more traffic than Luna when I was there. Plus Luna is annoying to fight in.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 31, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #107, where were you when the dragon broke?

In episode #108, we become Neo and fight an invisible monster.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 1, 2017

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Welp I'm a bit late

Since it's a little unreasonable to figure this out on your own, in #103, that big Milfanito "bonfire" you could pray at will restore your humanity if you have zero Human Effigies.

Flynn's Ring is completely useless to you since your max equip load is 85. Its maximum bonus is 50 AR, and that bonus caps at 60 max equip load. Past that, it loses 1 AR for every 0.5 points of equip load.

The hidden bonfire in Aldia's Keep is in that room with the message "bonfire ahead" in front of its door that you read aloud but decided to hold off for later for some reason.

Eleum Loyce is a very cool place! Probably my favorite DLC. Even despite a... certain area.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
That certain area is my least favorite area to do myself, but it's my favorite area to see other people tackle. :getin:

e: You guys might want to eventually go check out again that old armor you left behind in DLC2.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 2, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Remember that armor at the top of Brume Tower? You can access it now with the Ashen Mist Heart. (Though on its own, it's not a DLC item.) And as for the Dragon Shrine, there used to be a lot more Drakekeepers around to smash your head in. The one with a mace was infamous in particular because he would have such long combos that a player would inevitably trip up and have their head smashed in. Now? Not so much.

To contradict the above sentiment, there are two good things in the Iron Passage, but getting either requires fighting the boss at the end. Anything along the way can thus be treated as incidental.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Another cool place to check out would be back in the room where you found King Vendrick. Specifically, the pile of armor where you found his ring.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Echoing the hate for Iron Passage. It's conceptually and even more so in execution completely unfun. Don't do it, there's not even anything good in there.

I'm going to stand up for Iron Passage a bit. I think the idea of an asynchronous multiplayer area where you and the phantom are working together to clear different parts of the same area is a neat idea. In practice it's annoying as poo poo because you can lose though no fault of your own if the other person screws up and dies, and doing it solo is annoying as hell, but it was a neat (if failed) idea.

EDIT: Also, the gimmick with Dragon Aerie: If you pissed off the dragons too much by breaking eggs and such, then when you tried to cross that wobbly bridge leading to the next area, they'd have dive-bombed it and killed you. Kind of pointless because there's nothing you can do to stop it, it's a guaranteed death, and when you respawn it's safe to cross, but that's the thing.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 2, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There is actually a reason for the giant plaza around the Ancient Dragon, which is only obvious if you do something very, very dumb and attempt to do what comes naturally when confronted with a Dragon in a video game.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.

Lord_Magmar posted:

There is actually a reason for the giant plaza around the Ancient Dragon, which is only obvious if you do something very, very dumb and attempt to do what comes naturally when confronted with a Dragon in a video game.

Run away screaming "nope nope nope nope nope" and scurrying away like the survivalist I am?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #109, we begin exploring Frozen Eleum Loyce.

In episode #110, we stop just short of progress maybe?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Now that you have that Eye of the Priestess...try checking out the Shaded Woods again.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The ladder to the Splintering Lightning Spear would have been invisible without the Eye.

Hope you do another round of the place later, you missed things here and there.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #111, we are repeatedly slain by a barrel.

In episode #112, we fight a boss solo and re-explore the level.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Yeah you can riposte after a guard break

This DLC has pretty cool boss battles!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was not disappointed by your barrel-ignoring abilities. Turning around and shoving past it while it was moving on screen in a super narrow staircase was excellent.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Fun fact: speed runners fight the big kitty while invisible. Picking up the eye takes too long.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

So in this game, if you break someone's guard you can do a riposte on them while they're staggered from it. This applies whether or not you use the guard break move. That's how you riposted that one ice guy.

Dark Souls 3 keeps this mechanic, while bringing back kicking from DS1.

edit: Also the left trigger move on the ultra-greatswords you're using is their parry animation. In DS2 most weapons have a parry when two-handed.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 9, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the next episode opening up on a death somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in at most.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimbal lock posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the next episode opening up on a death somewhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes in at most.

I'll have you know we make it an entire EIGHT minutes into that video before dying. :o:

In episode #113, we encounter the best enemy in the game.

In episode #114, I'm only a little drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
You didn't recognise ya boy Maldron The Assassin from Brume Tower? He did the same run away schtick into a curse zone and you just used a Giant Tree Seed to own him. If you'd have let him successfully get away (and the gate had been open), he'd eventually run down to that ice cave with the Covetous Demon and doubleteam you in it. If you'd have let him follow you around without attacking him, he'd guide you to that lever then backstab you when you pulled it.

The DLC for DS2 has some of the best NPC AI scriptings :allears:

• Locked thread