Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DrTempest posted:

So I tried at one point to find an illusory wall, hit "X" and drank an Estus. Is it "X" on the Playstation or Xbox controller?

Kloro posted:

X on the Playstation, A on the XBox controller. Same button you use for talking and switches.

Oops, yeah, I forgot you were playing on an Xbox controller and its X is a completely different button.

edit: Also yeah the big knight dude on that platform was a one-time deal. You run or you die, he won't come back there.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Lprsti99 posted:

You actually get something nice for joining the covenant the Crestfallen Warrior was offering. And you could immediately leave it afterward if you want to.

"Nice" is a slight overstatement, but it is useful early on, so do it anyway. Don't feel pressured to stay in that covenant, though. It's... it's not very good. In the sense that it doesn't really work. At all.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I don't think they ever visited Victor's Stone, despite the cat mentioning it. That's a covenant worth joining :kheldragar:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Archenteron posted:

I don't think they ever visited Victor's Stone, despite the cat mentioning it. That's a covenant worth joining :kheldragar:
Yeah they really missed out on the trifecta of terrible DS2 early game decisions after missing the Emerald Herald AND the Majula Bonfire...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Archenteron posted:

It actually is, for circumventing a certain game mechanic.

Not that I'm very far.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair the game does warn you off that one pretty strongly.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Convincing people to touch that thing is the most fun you can have watching this game, as far as I'm concerned.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Episode 7: Ready, Steady, Go and Episode 8: It Might Be Giant now up!

We're finally onto new areas to explore!

Now watch as we miss that totally awesome item.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
You can sprint up ladders :ssh:

E: I'm surprised you didn't remark on Luet (the non-Pate NPC) dual wielding greatshields. I'm also sad you were too much up in the Giant's jock to see his half-health enrage. He rips his arm off and uses it as a club :rock:

EE: You also might want to look at the button prompt at bonfires a little more closely.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 10, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I've been wondering if the controller was at all related to trouble kicking things, which is why I had asked in the previous LP, but an admittedly-cursory search of that model didn't turn up anything specific.

Lprsti99 posted:

EE: You also might want to look at the button prompt at bonfires a little more closely.
I was trying to remember how that worked, and this leads into an important point: Dark Souls 2 is different enough from 1 that trying to blast straight through using only familiarity with 1 can lead to overlooking things, general confusion, and death - see limited enemy respawns, human effigy vs humanity, and oh wow that fall damage.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

I've been wondering if the controller was at all related to trouble kicking things, which is why I had asked in the previous LP, but an admittedly-cursory search of that model didn't turn up anything specific.
I believe that's more an issue with the general control scheme, considering that I've had problems kicking/leap attacking in both standard and SotFS Dark Souls 2. If Nietzschean or DrTempest have any other issues besides those combinations, though, it might do some good to open up the controller with a jeweler's screwdriver and clean things out. (Despite the name they can be purchased at hardware stores and so forth.) I've had two Logitech controllers with the occasional sticking or unresponsive button, and every time I checked inside the casing I was able to fix things. What controller are you two using, anyway?

Also, remember that Winged Spear you picked up? Try using it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Sometimes you can get bizarre hardware quirks - Logitech F310's analog sticks have deadzones big enough to consistently turn properly-inputted kicks into regular attacks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Among other things I use the anti-deadzone features in x360ce (at the recommended 80%), but given what you're saying I'll have to try things out on a friend's console.

Edit: Would fiddling around with the settings change anything? Currently all of my thumbstick axes are set to 50% sensitivity/0% deadzone/100% range.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 10, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DrTempest has a pdp Afterglow, which apparently has an intermittently faulty right bumper. My controller is just a straight-up wired 360 controller by Microsoft, which is in perfect condition.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having recently played Scholar of the First Sin I'm inclined to agree that the jumping attack and block break are really finicky. Especially compared to Bloodborne where that motion never failed to do what I wanted it to do.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Generally the npc invasions (particularly in SotFS) can actually be kinda hard compared to DS1, but Armorer Dennis especially kicked my rear end more times than I care to admit.

Besides bonfires, you can also light torches at any lit sconce. You've also actually seen the torch icon in your menus several times already :ssh:

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 9: Whip It and Episode 10: Dead Ends now up!

Stay tuned for us beating our faces into the next boss!

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Who needs to spend souls after beating a boss? Pffff, that's for losers and cowards. Hey, I know, let's just keep exploring into uncharted territory! What could go wrong? :')

You guys didn't need those souls anyway.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danakir posted:

Who needs to spend souls after beating a boss? Pffff, that's for losers and cowards. Hey, I know, let's just keep exploring into uncharted territory! What could go wrong? :')

You guys didn't need those souls anyway.

Those souls have already been replaced! It was all planned at the BBQ.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ah, you've met the Pursuer!

You know, with a controller-swapping playthrough, only one person getting to defeat (and possibly even fight at all) a boss seems like an obvious flaw... until you realize that you're carrying a co-op soapstone!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Good old Dennis

Haven't heard too many people say they prefer DS2 over 1.

I forgot to mention this earlier but you're falling into another DS1 veteran trap: the breakpoint for fat rolling is not at 50%. However, the rolling distance is gradually affected by your equip load, meaning you'll roll somewhat further at 10% than you do at 50% even when both are light rolls. Light rolling speed is the same always and i-frames are only affected by agility which by the way I'd suggest putting some points in.

Also, reminder that while you're testing weapon movesets there's also an attack you can do from a backstep.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 13, 2016

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

tiistai posted:

Good old Dennis

Haven't heard too many people say they prefer DS2 over 1.

I forgot to mention this earlier but you're falling into another DS1 veteran trap: the breakpoint for fat rolling is not at 50%. However, the rolling distance is gradually affected by your equip load, meaning you'll roll somewhat further at 10% than you do at 50% even when both are light rolls. Light rolling speed is the same always and i-frames are only affected by agility which by the way I'd suggest putting some points in.

Also, reminder that while you're testing weapon movesets there's also an attack you can do from a backstep.

For real you want to up adapt if you want your rolls to do anything.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fat Rolling is at 70% I believe. After which you stop losing distance on your rolls. Interestingly any damage you manage to do to the Pursuer in the first place you meet him carries over to here from memory, although that might have been changed in Scholar. Also you're missing a short-cut near the Cardinal Tower bonfire, although how it's opened isn't particularly obvious.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Thanks for all the information, guys. Now have two deathreel episodes!

Episode 11: You Died and Episode 12: Again. You Died Again

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
So, you misinterpreted curse a bit. Normally, when you die, you lose 10% of your max hp, down to 50%. When you get cursed, it acts identically to a normal death, just without the dying and bloodstain. You lose 10% of your max hp, and if you were human, you revert to being hollow.

Also, drat are you guys bad at dodging lol

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I suspect that it's not that they are bad at dodging so much as agility is messing with their heads. The different i-frames for dodging is the worst part of that mechanic, the different use speeds on items is just the icing on the silly agility mechanics cake. There is an "easy" trick to the Pursuer but I found it awkward to use at the best of times.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

In addition to only having something miniscule like 5 iframes on a fastroll at low agility, certain formerly-safe animations have windows in which you can just be slapped out of them in general, as you have discovered at the fog door!

Since this is a double blind LP of a souls game and the audience is undoubtedly throttling themselves trying not to go "do this now do this and do that and then do the thing with thing that does the thing with the other thing so you can get the thing to do the thing", perhaps exploration would be aided by whoever isn't driving having a notepad at hand. Why, no, I'm not suggesting this for the sole purpose of potential bonus materials in the form of illegible drunken scrawlings, why would you think that? :v:

Nietzschean posted:

We're gonna double spear!
Welcome to the coalition, Prod!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fish Noise posted:

bonus materials in the form of illegible drunken scrawlings

I think this is a thing we can make happen

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
One simple trick to dodge & set up counterattack: roll at the enemy when he's lunging towards you, not away from him.

Pursuer hates it!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

I think we broke him :ohdear:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

This pleases me greatly!

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 13: F*cking Finally and Episode 14: Storming the Bastille now up!

I'll upload my notes here in a bit. Less drunk than Nietzscheans, though.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

DrTempest posted:

Episode 13: F*cking Finally and Episode 14: Storming the Bastille now up!

I'll upload my notes here in a bit. Less drunk than Nietzscheans, though.

:neckbeard: I love seeing you guys click on a tough boss.

E: HAHAHAHAHAHA the Pursuer in the Bastille killed himself by attacking a powderkeg after you fell. I looked it up and all you missed from his drop is a twinkling titanite, though.

Also, I only ever played through DkS2 before SotFS came out, and so much has changed. That second Pursuer was not there in the original. You should look at the items you got from his chest, though.

Also, regarding the first Pursuer, if you coop the ballistae in his room are really good for cheesing him if you summon coop buddies. The fun part is that they do full friendly fire, so you can and will get oneshot by your 'helpers' using this strategy :haw:

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Pursuer is not false advertising, although he is largely an easy source of twinkling titanite once you understand how to fight him. The easy method for fighting him in his actual boss zone is to parry him in front of a ballista and shoot the poo poo out of him.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hm. At this point in the game, the forest / cardinal tower leads towards the Pursuer and bird ride to Bastille, but there are other places to go, elsewhere.

Saulden posted:

The messages convey our inner thoughts.
I will overlook the disturbing implications of this and simply point out that "horse" is under the body parts category, in the event you want to leave your own insane horse messages, telling people to beware of horses, or that something's weakness is horses, or that horses should praise the sun, or that horses should beware of horses.

Lprsti99 posted:

Also, regarding the first Pursuer, if you coop the ballistae in his room are really good for cheesing him if you summon coop buddies. The fun part is that they do full friendly fire, so you can and will get oneshot by your 'helpers' using this strategy :haw:
When 2 came out on PC, I spent a lot of time putting my sign in front of that fog door. Sometimes there'd be a host who immediately sprinted past the Pursuer to smash the ballista, and you'd know. You'd just know.

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 20, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nice job finding the shortcut to McDuff. That barrel is really finicky too so I was basically sweating it wouldn't have reached the wall and you wouldn't have tried it again. There's still a little bit more to do than meets the eye at his workshop, I wouldn't mind if you read messages more often.

Good stuff with the Pursuer too. Just remember that if you're close to an enemy with a long weapon, rolling backwards doesn't really do much other than leave you vulnerable, so it's generally better to roll either to the sides or at the enemy so you can get behind the attack instead of having to gamble it won't reach far enough. Also, with those few points in adaptability your i-frames went from 5 to 9 so it was a pretty good investment. From now on it'll be 1 extra i-frame per roughly 4 agility, it varies a bit.

You don't have to switch arrows, you fire one type with the right trigger and the other with the right bumper. Really an improvement over what DaS had.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tiistai posted:

You don't have to switch arrows, you fire one type with the right trigger and the other with the right bumper. Really an improvement over what DaS had.

Oooooooooh.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
At the "You hit for 5" confusion, that was because the Pursuer was using his sword as a thrust weapon behind his shield, "turtle-poking" or whatever you want to call it; so he could attack while blocking. You can't do it with swords like his, but you can use it with thrusting swords like rapiers as well as spears (like you could in DS1). If the damage you do is scaled below a certain defense value, you're capped at single-digit damage like 5 or 7. This is because enemies don't "use shields" the way characters do; they simply have stances that can drastically raise their defense, while you and invaders and such instead reduce the damage when you block.

tiistai posted:

Also, with those few points in adaptability your i-frames went from 5 to 9 so it was a pretty good investment. From now on it'll be 1 extra i-frame per roughly 4 agility, it varies a bit.

:vince: I'm glad somebody cracked that code! Last I checked, the community was still going on the conventional wisdom that every 5 AGI = 1 frame. It's a lot like how nobody believed Kepler because it was so much more sublime to believe the planets orbited in circles. :v:

Lprsti99 posted:

Did you know if you die after the boss does, but before the souls are awarded, you don't get the souls or Token of Fidelity? :negative: The only thing worse as a co-op phantom in the Forest is when you get summoned to help somebody who's killed the Pursuer on the dais but you don't know. You help them out, get all the way to his fog door, and... get kicked back to your world with nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wayne posted:

:vince: I'm glad somebody cracked that code! Last I checked, the community was still going on the conventional wisdom that every 5 AGI = 1 frame. It's a lot like how nobody believed Kepler because it was so much more sublime to believe the planets orbited in circles. :v:
The most conclusive information on i-frames has been available for over a year at this point if you check some of the wikis. But in any case the old conventional wisdom (based on testing within perhaps a month of the game's release) wasn't so much wrong as mostly imprecise. People had tested things at various multiples of 5, but hadn't bothered to check point-by-point. (105 Agility is the only multiple of 5 that also happens to be a breakpoint.) The only outright error they had was in how bad 85 Agility was for rolling - instead of the presumed 8 i-frames you only got 5.

• Locked thread