Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Early Grand Lance, Early Dull Ember/McDuff, and the Pursuer Actually Pursuing are some of the best things about the Scholar of the First Sin edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
So far we have a gimmick going where I end up being the only one that the Pursuer actually pursues. And every time I get loving murdered by him.

DrTempest fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 25, 2016

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

That's because he knows what you've done...he knows.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episodes out! Episode 27: AI Abuse, You Say? and Episode 28: All Hail the Undead Pope! now up!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Flexile Sentry is a joke, but they did make the fight a little harder on NG+ onwards. That rising water is barely even an obstacle, I don't know what they were thinking.

Brightstone is a terrible area, those Hollow Mages and their slow moving slightly homing but frequent enough to mess up your arrow spam projectiles really are annoying as hell. At least the spiders are rendered harmless by carrying a torch and thankfully they also littered around some unlit sconces around the place.

You don't have to restart the game to respec and you already have an item that allows you do it! Same with getting your Estus to +1, it just seems that you've understandably forgotten about their item descriptions. Also, since you don't seem very likely to wander back in Heide anytime soon, I think you should go open that chest there that you noticed but forgot about due to being busy with Dragonrider.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm liking this lp!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Interesting quirk about Dark Souls 2's calculation of weapon durability: It's tied to framerate for some godforsaken reason, meaning at 60 fps, things break faster than in the 30fps console versions. Also, enemy corpse ragdolls can count as multiple hitboxes, meaning certain weapons (like the whips and some astoundingly high durability halberd-ish spears) degrade a bit faster than usual from post-kill corpse contact, or simply whacking a dead body for awhile.

Also that double-triple crossbow man is pro as hell.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
yeah, probably the best way to break a weapon quickly is to kill a bunch of ragdolling enemies in the same spot and whack the pile of corpses repeatedly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually found Brightstone okay to go through, although I managed to find the way out the other end first time and just ignored it except for a few other things that are in the area. The Spiders can be a joke if you have a torch, which is nice.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Archenteron posted:

Interesting quirk about Dark Souls 2's calculation of weapon durability

It's been fixed for a while now

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

tiistai posted:

It's been fixed for a while now
Since somewhere in the territory of early May, 2015.

The information isn't even hard to find, but the very notion of looking for it seems to have been buried by the sheer volume and momentum of people parroting the 60 FPS Durability Bug line - myself included, in this very thread. Ever since tiistai corrected me, I've seen it come up on IRC and passed on the correction myself, which gets met with reactions along the lines of "wait, what? really? when? A YEAR AGO?!"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Easiest way to break the Spear now after a few "nerfs" to the simple methods (durability bug fixed, you can no longer grind it down against peaceful enemies in a certain covenant) is to hit the crows' nest. They are invisible and invincible, but do sit there somewhere, so you can do a combo for ~10 durability points per full stamina bar. With a Cloranthy Ring, the 500 durability of the spear will be gone in about 10 minutes. Tedious and probably not the "intended" way (which would, I guess, be fighting a BUNCH without dying), but quite rewarding indeed.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Simply Simon posted:

Easiest way to break the Spear now after a few "nerfs" to the simple methods (durability bug fixed, you can no longer grind it down against peaceful enemies in a certain covenant) is to hit the crows' nest. They are invisible and invincible, but do sit there somewhere, so you can do a combo for ~10 durability points per full stamina bar. With a Cloranthy Ring, the 500 durability of the spear will be gone in about 10 minutes. Tedious and probably not the "intended" way (which would, I guess, be fighting a BUNCH without dying), but quite rewarding indeed.

Oh as far as I remember it's not even close to 10 minutes, I can almost guarantee it's sub-5 even if you do the crows and spam the spin attack.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 29: Arachnophobia and Episode 30: Laserachnophobia now up!

Hope y'all like spiders. I know I do.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The second video is still private.

Just in case, I'm putting in spoilers the way to get the pickaxe although it's probably the most obscure thing in the game: You're supposed to lead a piggy all the way from the campsite with the falconers down to that spider-filled room, where he will dig up the pickaxe from the ground. I thought there were no hints for this in the game until just now, I never noticed before that the dark spirit peasant was wielding a pickaxe and a porcine shield.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Fixed! Sorry about that, guys.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Spiders? I see no spiders. I do see a giant armored two-headed laser dog, though!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when you are a dwarf, everything is a dog

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 31: Starring Badger Sutherland and Episode 32: Pope Maul now up!

We're back! And going to be updating more. Life problems have given a cease-fire for now.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The easiest way to farm Blue Sentinel covenant items: afk and wait for the host to kill the invader. Also the easiest way to be a total dick.

You can run up to the dragon before he breathes fire, I'm pretty sure. Once he starts it might actually be harder to get across to him. It would be a little easier if you could kill the last Heide knight but I guess that would mean killing pretty much everyone before him too. Anyway, if you're trying to get to the dragon you might find it easier to start from the other bonfire that was past the Dragonrider.

And since you talked about hexes, I guess I'll share this fascinating tidbit: Fire scales with both int and faith while Dark scales with whichever of the two is lower.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

That brief moment of AFK distraction did seem to work out in the end though.

At first I thought that The Charge Of The Badger Brigade was going to become the new jump attack, but now you've picked up the Twinblade and I just have NO idea where anything's going to go from here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, SOTFS made Heide's Tower a million times harder after the first boss. :stare:

In the original neither the knights or dragon were there, just more of the easy giant guys.

I guess that does explain where Dragonrider's dragon went though.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Yesssssss, twinblade time :unsmigghh:

Going back to the Santier's Spear, I've read that you can get around having to break it in one go without a bonfire by dropping it from your inventory before resting. It'll stay on the ground, and because it's not on your person, it won't get repaired. That said, you really should just take the time to cheese it on the crows or something, it's worth.

E: A word

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 20, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Funnily enough if you'd actually just dashed/rolled around the side of the Dragon you would've been fine. Although at least 1 knight will make it to the area as well. I like how you found Belfry Luna and didn't investigate it at all even when you returned to the Lost Bastille.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 20, 2016

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 33: *Lightsaber Sounds* and Episode 34: Gravity now up!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I think Map Guy never came home because (like a few other NPCs that you vaguely remembered 5ish episodes ago then forgot the specifics of) you never exhausted his talking.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Yes, the Chloranthy Ring and stamina shield do stack.

I don't think there's any other titanite vendors you can get to at the moment, but you really should exhaust npc dialogues. There's two in FoFG. There's also a friend (who you've met) that you need a certain ring (which you've seen) to be able to hear, because he talks really softly.

Falling damage is a function of your weight.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 21, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The Sinner does not teleport so much as they jump around quickly in a very dark area.
An area so dark that lockon range is shorter.
An area that can be relit by those two little side chambers that seemed otherwise pointless.

I think that at least some part of why you keep getting turned into Heide's mashed potatoes is a combination of enemy tracking and the way you're dodging.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Episode 35: Rat King Cole and Episode 36: Guess Who? now up!

Enjoy!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The pursuit continues, also the nature of your being is a really vague wording for something entirely inconsequential that you decided very early on. Although the easiest way to notice what's happened is by messing around with what you're wearing.

There's two locations that the Rat King Covenant is attached to and you've been to both, the first is of course the Grave of Saints and the Second is the Doors of Pharos. I'm not actually sure about how the whole thing works as I didn't really do much with any of the covenants when I played.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

There's two locations that the Rat King Covenant is attached to and you've been to both, the first is of course the Grave of Saints and the Second is the Doors of Pharos. I'm not actually sure about how the whole thing works as I didn't really do much with any of the covenants when I played.

With how much time they spent in Doors of Pharos, it really should have happened. You guy're right in your guess: It's basically Reverse Forest Hunters. If you have your ring on, non-covenent people who enter one of the two Rat Zones will get summoned to your area, and you then kill them in conjunction with the enemies and/or traps in the zone. That's why the Pharos Lockstone areas in the Doors you activated turned on traps or opened doors with more enemies.

For the crows: You have to leave the stones one at a time, but you don't have to pick up each new item before leaving another stone, ie: You can open the inventory, leave one stone 10 times, then close it and pick up the 10 new items

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 24, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Some top-quality pursuit in these videos. I love what they did with him in SOTFS.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hahaha Melentia's camouflage is too good :allears:
The change to her inventory is kinda subtle to notice since you guys didn't buy much from her before, but she now has infinite lifegems. You also discovered the one-time interaction of receiving a gift after spending enough at her shop.

Other potential gifts and inventory changes exist, obviously. Some may or may not be incredibly hilarious. Would you like to know more?

In addition to map guy, there's another NPC you've met who can be brought back to Majula through simple dialogue exhaustion. Try Heide's, above the Dragonrider arena.

Sindai posted:

Some top-quality pursuit in these videos. I love what they did with him in SOTFS.
[pursuing intensifies]

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fish Noise posted:

Hahaha Melentia's camouflage is too good :allears:
The change to her inventory is kinda subtle to notice since you guys didn't buy much from her before, but she now has infinite lifegems. You also discovered the one-time interaction of receiving a gift after spending enough at her shop.

Other potential gifts and inventory changes exist, obviously. Some may or may not be incredibly hilarious. Would you like to know more?

In addition to map guy, there's another NPC you've met who can be brought back to Majula through simple dialogue exhaustion. Try Heide's, above the Dragonrider arena.
I think that might already have happened. Why can I tell? Because iirc, the signifier is the white flame over the Majula entrance to Heide, which is now burning.

EDIT: While we're at it, the strange symbol next to your lifebar is the new Covenant. Also, the Rat Covenant Ring does increase poison "damage" against enemies; you have to have some source of poison first for it to work, though.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Maughlin the Armourer does get more stuff to sell, but you need to do something related to him first.

Like buying something

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

So, bad news, guys. Sorry about the severe lack of updates.

The LP's done, technical issues. My computer decided it wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, freak out, and need a fresh installation twice. So somewhere in that, the savefile went missing.

I wish we could've finished this, and honestly, I could probably work my way back to get everything caught up by watching the videos, but that's a lot of work, and I don't want to hate the game. Plus, I'll be getting a second job here soon and I've been into other things lately.

Thanks for tuning in, at least! And remember:

Remember to make backups.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Bearer of the LP Curse, seek the King :smith:

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the second job, and hope you&Nietzschean do something else in the eventual future.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
RIP. LP was fun, hope to see you guys do some other stuff when time allows!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well, since your save is kaput, I'd like to point out something you guys may not have noticed.

Remember that coffin on the beach with the ogres? Remember how you got in it and nothing appeared to happen, but it reloaded the zone anyways?

The coffin changes your character's sex

That coffin was the source of a lot of confusion and outrage among some players who only noticed its effects quite a while later :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Ah, unfortunate.

Well, just in case you guys didn't see it and revisit the game some day, I'll just follow this

Fish Noise posted:

up with: After defeating both rat bosses, check Shalquoir's inventory.

• Locked thread