Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think that the Shaded Woods are meant to be a mid-game area from memory. The ghosts in particular are a lot less awful when you can kill them in 2-4 hits instead of 10-12. Admittedly my build was power-stanced great-swords so I did an assload of damage when I swung and had a wide enough angle to catch them easily.

Yeah, you can do the four Great Souls in any order, but you...definitely choose one of the hardest ones with this path, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

So the petrified dragon bone is an upgrade material, specifically for Boss weapons.

Likewise, the Poison Stone is like a Bolt Stone or Drake Stone. It's used in weapon infusion.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm actually pretty impressed by the way you handled Jester Thomas. The combo of not breaking the knights ghost form and running though to where he is, and then a Giant's Seed was something I never thought of. Jester Thomas can be a real pain in the rear end. He's also one of the few summons that can solo a boss. If you summon him for the fight with the snake lady in Earthen Peaks, he can just wreck her without you doing anything.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

tiistai posted:

I can't believe you found like 5 messages talking about illusions and bonfire, all right next to each other, and then proceed to look for the illusory wall everywhere except that spot lol

Yeah, you guys have an uncanny knack for missing bonfires. It's almost impressive. There have been a few times I have been like, "Wait, just turn around and...No, not that way..No, gah!" and then like 2 hours later you come back and finally find it and go, "Well that would have been useful to find way back before."

e: If you think the bosses are too easy, you could always try fighting one without summoning multiple phantoms? :v:

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

That said, summoning NPCs: So long as they aren't summoning other players to beat the bosses for them, it's not all that upsetting. The NPCs barely do anything for damage and are only useful for distraction. The boss gets a good deal most health in exchange. Seems fair enough.

Their damage isn't much, but their health is really high, and having 2 NPCs tank 2/3ds or more of the attacks for you really changes most fights. Those two bosses in the Sunken King DLC are actually really challenging when you don't have 2 other people distracting them.

I'm not saying don't use the phantoms. By all means, play the game however it's fun for you, but maybe don't talk about how easy-paesy those bosses were when you don't even attempt a single run of them without a pair of phantoms to back you up.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Well they did attempt Elana without phantoms a couple of times; and got combo'd multiple times. The real reason Elana and Sinh don't seem as hard as Fume is because Elana is deliberately weak (don't read until you beat the main game) just like all the children of Dark or Manus or whatever the official title is, Sinh is designed to hit several times for less damage rather than once for almost your entire health bar, Sinh is a very big target who cannot attack to cover almost his entire body with every attack like Fume does, instead usually just swiping at things in front of him, neither of them are being healed or switching aggro at random, and Fume has much, much higher defences. Also that was a very fortunate Sinh pattern. A win is a win is a win, though. Now we can go on to something new again. Like the rest of Brume Tower, before it slips their minds.

Yeah, Elana is actually a very tough fight. She's the only boss in the game for me, that I was unable to beat solo, including Fume Knight. (Though I found her way more frustrating and way less fun than Fume Knight so I gave up earlier). When you don't have screening phantoms, the big guy she summons is very aggressive and gives you no room to breathe, while she loves lobbing those delayed blast fireballs behind you every time you're looking at him instead. Sinh I thought was a really fun fight because he's stupidly mobile despite how big he is, so you're constantly switching between evading his toxic blasts and running in to get what hits you can before he takes to the air again. It was a fun and hectic fight that gives you a huge amount of space and then forces you to use all of it, running around to different areas as the one you're in fills up with toxic clouds.

The DLC bosses are easily the hardest bosses in the game, though. Save one or two optional ones in the main game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Unfortunately for the two of you, while the gank squad is great the other two co-op DLC fights are bland at best. In general the community considers the co-op areas to be a blight on the DLC, and with the exception of the gank squad I can't disagree.

One of the three remaining ones is pretty fun, but it's also barely a co-op area. It can be easily soloed and, unlike the gank squad, the boss isn't really designed with a co-op fight in mind.

The other two are pretty bad, though. One of them has a neat idea that isn't implemented very well, and the last one...Just...I'm pretty sure I taught my neighbors some interesting new combinations of profanity when I was working my way though THAT part.

That said, I don't know what your policy on Sunbro Support is, but if you need it, I can see if I can come help. My characters are all pretty high Soul Level right now, but they might be within Engraved Ring range by the time you get to those areas.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So you might recognize Velstadt. You've seen him before. In the fight with Elana, the first boss in the Crown of the Sunken King DLC. You might remember she teleported around and blasted you with spells (usually the delayed fireball) but could also summon one of two things: Either a pack of gilded skeletons, or a single big dude. That big dude was Velstadt.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh, also fun note now that you've killed both:

Fume Knight hated Velstadt. He hated him so much that if you go into the Fume Knight fight while wearing Velstadt's armor, Fume Knight will skip his first phase and immediately go into his second.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know, you guys would find a whole lot more bonfires if you actually bothered to read messages.

EDIT: Oh, if you want Titanite chunks, the best way to farm them is with the Bell Keepers covenant. Winning as or defeating an invader from that covenant frequently rewards you with it. It's also pretty common as far as Dark Souls PvP areas go, which means it's still probably deserted aside from the occasional person in stupid gimmick builds, but you'll at least see them occasionally. I'd recommend Belfry Sol. That seemed to get a lot more traffic than Luna when I was there. Plus Luna is annoying to fight in.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Echoing the hate for Iron Passage. It's conceptually and even more so in execution completely unfun. Don't do it, there's not even anything good in there.

I'm going to stand up for Iron Passage a bit. I think the idea of an asynchronous multiplayer area where you and the phantom are working together to clear different parts of the same area is a neat idea. In practice it's annoying as poo poo because you can lose though no fault of your own if the other person screws up and dies, and doing it solo is annoying as hell, but it was a neat (if failed) idea.

EDIT: Also, the gimmick with Dragon Aerie: If you pissed off the dragons too much by breaking eggs and such, then when you tried to cross that wobbly bridge leading to the next area, they'd have dive-bombed it and killed you. Kind of pointless because there's nothing you can do to stop it, it's a guaranteed death, and when you respawn it's safe to cross, but that's the thing.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 2, 2017

• Locked thread