Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Archenteron posted:

I don't think they ever visited Victor's Stone, despite the cat mentioning it. That's a covenant worth joining :kheldragar:
Yeah they really missed out on the trifecta of terrible DS2 early game decisions after missing the Emerald Herald AND the Majula Bonfire...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The dragon is piss-easy, the jerks beforehand are far more of a problem.

Funnily enough, you weren't even that wrong with the Legend of Zelda solution for No Man's Wharf: you have to ring a bell, which happens if you pull the lever that was mentioned. You can clearly see it in the video, it's well-lit. But you can absolutely just shoot the bell from somewhere else and get the same result!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Grand Lance is loving amazing, by the way; it used to be found (in vanilla DS2) at the very end of the game, now you can have an insanely high damage, actually rather easy to wield, sick counterdamage (aka attack when they attack you) weapon right at the start. You can murder PvP opponents with its absurd tracking, too.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Easiest way to break the Spear now after a few "nerfs" to the simple methods (durability bug fixed, you can no longer grind it down against peaceful enemies in a certain covenant) is to hit the crows' nest. They are invisible and invincible, but do sit there somewhere, so you can do a combo for ~10 durability points per full stamina bar. With a Cloranthy Ring, the 500 durability of the spear will be gone in about 10 minutes. Tedious and probably not the "intended" way (which would, I guess, be fighting a BUNCH without dying), but quite rewarding indeed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Hahaha Melentia's camouflage is too good :allears:
The change to her inventory is kinda subtle to notice since you guys didn't buy much from her before, but she now has infinite lifegems. You also discovered the one-time interaction of receiving a gift after spending enough at her shop.

Other potential gifts and inventory changes exist, obviously. Some may or may not be incredibly hilarious. Would you like to know more?

In addition to map guy, there's another NPC you've met who can be brought back to Majula through simple dialogue exhaustion. Try Heide's, above the Dragonrider arena.
I think that might already have happened. Why can I tell? Because iirc, the signifier is the white flame over the Majula entrance to Heide, which is now burning.

EDIT: While we're at it, the strange symbol next to your lifebar is the new Covenant. Also, the Rat Covenant Ring does increase poison "damage" against enemies; you have to have some source of poison first for it to work, though.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you ever want to return to the Dark Chasms, here's how they work (yes, there are several, three in fact - you should be able to figure out where, if not, ask): the big basin you immediately hit is actually full of oil. Setting this on fire is how you "win" a Dark Chasm, though you also do have to leave it at the end. You were almost there when you fell into the hole, it's crazy how easily you took out Havel - he's widely considered to be, and I hope you'll understand my Dark Souls Pro technical language here, "a real motherfucker". Still would have had to return to light the basin though!

If you do light all the basins and leave the final Chasm, you'll have a neat surprise waiting for you! Covenant rewards are for the first basin lit and chasm left, then for the third of both, and getting the surprise wrapped up maxes out the Covenant. The rewards are all crazy good Miracle and Hex stuff, including the best Chime in the game for pure Lightning damage, if you're into that at some point! Also an armor set which you might remember from DS1...
And finally, the three Chasms will stay open forever, freeing you of the Effigy cost.

There are a few more interesting details about the Chasms: they're probably the best source of Bonfire Ascetics, as the black phantoms there frequently-ish drop them. You can also invade in there, and killing the host will award you with an Ascetic 100% of the time. You can, however, also kill another invader to get that. And the black phantoms will be automatically hostile to you! Sounds fun, practically never happens though. Not really a popular PvP hotspot.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man, you guys got through Amana with like no problems at all, don't bitch. There's people who spent HOURS wading through knee-deep water (uphill both ways and we loved it!). The boss is kinda dumb but mostly for how simplistic it is - you can absolutely just bait out an attack and then hit it in the face. Doing it with a bow is probably the most exciting way, to be honest - he gets to show off his ranged attack, and the charge is honestly rather scary. If he does it.

Also, there's of course billions of things lying around hidden in the water which you missed, but I don't blame you for thoroughly exploring just yet. Of note:
- A super neat halberd-type weapon that has a unique R2 which pokes and extends a small extra spike to hit again if you are the right distance from the enemy, dealing massive damage (Helix Halberd)
- An Estus Flask Shard and Sunlight Blade (the miracle)
- something to check out after you killed an optional boss later

I'll leave it up to you to look up locations if you really care, unless you want me to tell you in detail. Navigation is hard in that swamphole. Thanks Amana!

tiistai posted:

Speaking of stamina, there's a mechanic in DaS2 that I don't think has been brought up yet (maybe? I don't remember): if an attack causes you to go to negative stamina, it deals proportionally less damage.
Wow, I didn't know that!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Addamere posted:

Intentionally not reading spoilers.

Iron Passage is a dick. Dragon Aerie is pretty, but it seems awfully small? I know there has to be some way forward we didn't see, maybe a secret door or just something hidden behind a corner we didn't see? Hmm.

Also! I did look at that feather. It seems OP.
You could buy unlimited bones ever since opening the way to Drangleic Castle*, and 800 (?) each is a pittance. It's purely quality of life.

Dragon Aerie didn't use to have the statue blocking the entrance in Vanilla, and the ladder wasn't down; that was a shortcut. So you had to go over the bridge, do everything afterwards, then reach the top, kick down the ladder and then - in case you still haven't figured it out - remember a method of progress in Tseldora from long, long ago.

In Scholar, you can just skip to the top and the long loop upwards to above the starting area is just for goodies. It's a weird change, and if you don't know how it looked like, will leave you confused as hell for sure.

Echoing the hate for Iron Passage. It's conceptually and even more so in execution completely unfun. Don't do it, there's not even anything good in there.

* that's bullshit by the way if you want to farm stuff early, at some point you just run out of bones and wonder why the gently caress they did that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the Bonfire in Aldia's Keep you didn't find? Behind a hidden door, and not even on that is even close to obvious. It's halfway down the staircase to the acid area. Also, another change for Scholar and I don't know what triggers it exactly - at some point, maybe after finishing up this path, you might want to more or less randomly return to the first room of the Keep, with the mirror dudes. I promise it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think you guys haven't fully grasped the magic system yet. Magic damage depends heavily on the catalyst in this one, as it scales off the catalysts' base damage as well as its scaling in the spell's element.

That means to be a cool Hexer, you first want the staff that scales best with Dark, the Sunset Staff. Felkin gives that to you, the guy who sits at the entrance to Huntsman's Copse. Then you upgrade that to +5 (it's Twinkling), and THEN - this is really important - you infuse it with Dark. You didn't do the last step, and I don't know if your casting stick is even close to +10. It's also not the best stick for Hexes even as a substitute (though it is rather good as a Sorcery catalyst...you'd want to infuse it with Magic, though).

With your 40/40 in the casting stats, you could be an amazing Hexer and totally cream bosses like your plan was, but I'm not seeing it with the piddly catalyst you're using atm.

• Locked thread