Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having recently played Scholar of the First Sin I'm inclined to agree that the jumping attack and block break are really finicky. Especially compared to Bloodborne where that motion never failed to do what I wanted it to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Fat Rolling is at 70% I believe. After which you stop losing distance on your rolls. Interestingly any damage you manage to do to the Pursuer in the first place you meet him carries over to here from memory, although that might have been changed in Scholar. Also you're missing a short-cut near the Cardinal Tower bonfire, although how it's opened isn't particularly obvious.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I suspect that it's not that they are bad at dodging so much as agility is messing with their heads. The different i-frames for dodging is the worst part of that mechanic, the different use speeds on items is just the icing on the silly agility mechanics cake. There is an "easy" trick to the Pursuer but I found it awkward to use at the best of times.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Pursuer is not false advertising, although he is largely an easy source of twinkling titanite once you understand how to fight him. The easy method for fighting him in his actual boss zone is to parry him in front of a ballista and shoot the poo poo out of him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think that the Shaded Woods are meant to be a mid-game area from memory. The ghosts in particular are a lot less awful when you can kill them in 2-4 hits instead of 10-12. Admittedly my build was power-stanced great-swords so I did an assload of damage when I swung and had a wide enough angle to catch them easily.

I cannot recall if the Shrine of Winter is ever explained but if you think to the first game what's going on is a bit less obtuse. I think there should be a fragrant branch of yore on a merchant you can buy. There is also one other path available to you, although you need to buy a ring from the cat to reach it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the petrified dragon bone is an upgrade material, specifically for Boss weapons. To talk to the friend with claws you need the ring of whispers, although it isn't particularly important. Mainly he's an additional summon sign for the boss that is right in front of the fog gate, he also gives some interesting lore.

The Krogans are lion people by the way.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 31, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the spiders are indeed afraid of fire, and that chest trap is actually kind of funny if you already have a torch lit. Basically the red orb alerts/aggros all the spiders hiding in caves that you can't see. So as you got they all crawl out the walls and fall from the ceiling and theoretically kill you horribly, if you have a torch lit they crawl out and then start running into the walls away from your torch. There's a hidden passage in the room just before the Prowling Magus fight, who by the way is possibly the easiest boss in the game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the Dragonrider is kind of easy because he's potentially the first boss in the game. Also the Dragon he rode in on is probably the one that you saw on the other path, which you really should finish. Also should I share the very stupid thing the game did with npc quests or do you want to discover that particular mechanic alone?

No Man's Wharf in general is kind of great, especially if you have a great-sword, as a bunch of enemies can be sent flying off the wharf or if they're holding on to sneak up behind knocked down with a slamming attack.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cahrillion of the Fold is just being a jerk, he's thinks you're dumb and so won't talk to you about sorcery. At least I think that's what's going on with him. You really should go beat that dragon by the way, he's not that hard to be honest. At least if you know what you're doing in regards to dragon fighting. I think he's roughly as hard as the Dragonrider from memory.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It also completely murders poise even through shields.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I actually found Brightstone okay to go through, although I managed to find the way out the other end first time and just ignored it except for a few other things that are in the area. The Spiders can be a joke if you have a torch, which is nice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Funnily enough if you'd actually just dashed/rolled around the side of the Dragon you would've been fine. Although at least 1 knight will make it to the area as well. I like how you found Belfry Luna and didn't investigate it at all even when you returned to the Lost Bastille.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 20, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The pursuit continues, also the nature of your being is a really vague wording for something entirely inconsequential that you decided very early on. Although the easiest way to notice what's happened is by messing around with what you're wearing.

There's two locations that the Rat King Covenant is attached to and you've been to both, the first is of course the Grave of Saints and the Second is the Doors of Pharos. I'm not actually sure about how the whole thing works as I didn't really do much with any of the covenants when I played.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So funnily enough the reason those hollows kept showing up is that you were lighting the torches, which in the gutter alerts enemy hollows to your location, and because it's a relatively large area with a bunch of drops and ladders they slowly make their way to you after you light certain torches alerting them. Hollowing is the health loss effect, as you die you become more hollowed essentially, so the Dark Pyromancy Flame is at it's strongest when you yourself are at half health.

I'm pretty sure you missed a torch light point beneath where the mimic was, although I can't remember if this place actually has anything for lighting all of the torches, or even if they changed that between normal and scholar of the first sin.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You came so close to the end of the path at Heide's tower of Flame. A few more tries and you would have de-populated most of the enemies bar the Dragon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I hope you also do Bloodborne after this, as that's bound to be something really great with the both of you working together. So you have found Ornifex, her home is in the area after the Shaded Ruins. Which means she's in the Brightstone Cove Tseldora somewhere, it's also important because she's a blacksmith of sorts.

Also the wordplay from Tark is so bad, his master will seethe for all eternity because his master is Seath. Also he's a summon for Scorpioness Najka, who is his wife and has been driven mad from her own monstrous form. This is probably the most obvious hint of where the Great Souls come from that you're embracing, except something in NG+3 or something.

You didn't get to see it but this version of Ornstein has shadowy abyss magic powers like Artorius does when you find him in the Dark Souls 1 DLC. Also all the Great weapons can be manually aimed like the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, but this is actually meant to be useful. If you swing you can change direction mid-swing to catch people trying to roll past you.

Magerold allows you to decrease the statistic requirements for spells. Skeptic Spice means they require one less faith, and Simpleton's one less intelligence.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So the this message is being channeled from very far away is for a very specific multiplayer mechanic, although what that mechanic is probably won't really matter.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's really sad you didn't work out the purpose of the guys with gunpowder, they're technically speaking friendly in that what you're supposed to do is make them walk off edges and blow up your enemies for you. In practice it's very awkward. Also I like that you worked out what's going on with the smelter wedges.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sum Gai posted:

Worth noting that the original held it in their right hand, though.

To be fair the other one was broken and it was either hold his weapon or his shield and I figure he decided weapon was better. Then again it might just be that the left hand was his shield hand and he tried to block something he shouldn't have and broke his arm.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh look you ended up doing exactly what I did with the smelter wedges, thankfully it's entirely possible to fight the Fume Knight without killing the last Idol. Also your search for a wedge will probably be fruitless because I don't think you can actually access it without progressing the main plot a bit further.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

You did indeed miss a Primal Bonfire in the Rotten's room. It's also kind of important to find because it has another DLC entry behind it as far as I can remember.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So by the way that lever freed the assassin, and you are correct that he becomes an Invader. Not releasing him lets you either visit him for quests to kill other npcs or if you're a human an alternate personality that sells you things because he's a Royal Sorcerer.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Addamere posted:

Does killing him prevent him from invading?

Actually I believe it does in fact stop him from invading if you kill him right then and there. However it also means you can never buy his pyromancy and sorcery spells, and he's the only location some of them are available from.

I will say one thing for the Throne Watcher/Defender fight, it feels very different to Ornstein and Smough for being the same type of fight. You have to kill them equally for one thing and they actually like each-other enough to revive their partner when downed, instead of just using them to power up. They also come to each-others aide over staying separate and in general are a much better team than Ornstein and Smough, if individually less capable.

It also is somewhat interesting that one of them appears to be an Old Knight that hasn't become Old, and the other is very similar to a Heide Knight.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 30, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So I'm personally of the opinion that the Iron Passage is the worst of the dedicated multiplayer areas, as I actually like the one in the third dlc and the one in the first dlc is relatively easy to dash through.

Also the gimmick they're trying to get people to do is that you have one person take the low route and the other take the high route in tandem. This is the worst multiplayer gimmick because it's actually impossible to do single player, whereas the other multiplayer areas just tend to have a higher than average number of enemies.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There is actually a reason for the giant plaza around the Ancient Dragon, which is only obvious if you do something very, very dumb and attempt to do what comes naturally when confronted with a Dragon in a video game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

This is the boss that made me quit Dark Souls 2 last time I played, it's cool as heck and all, but I don't think it's very well implemented or designed for a Dark Souls boss. There's also a hidden mechanic that is the most awful grind in the game, and necessary for certain weapons or lore behind what's going on with Eleum Loyce.

Also yes you should probably go find more of the Knights, as you need at least 3 to make the last bit of Old Chaos not kind of awful, and 4 makes it a lot easier than it otherwise would be.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So you absolutely should use the Bone Fist at some point, it does something particularly special to your attack animations. Also now that you've noticed them the Loyce Souls were the grind I mentioned, you need 50 of them to complete the grind for something that isn't particularly worth it in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

But will you also allow us to enjoy your reactions to Bloodborne, which admittedly is a much harder game to do this sort of thing with if you don't live near each-other anymore.

• Locked thread