Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

i'm learning a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's march madness baby but i'll probably be playing fire emblem all month

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also shoutouts to mad max for sweeping the oscars and being the good mainstream movie nominated for best picture

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stux posted:

me too, TP is quite easily the best, perhaps the only good, 3d zelda, so it is nice to see it getting a remake so more people can enjoy its strong.

I don't know about it being the best 3D Zelda tbh. But then again I haven't played be game in like 10 years (I can't believe the game is 10 years old already)

I just don't have much of an opinion on TP except for it was a game I played and it took a long time to beat. I'm just looking forward to going through it one more time. It's pretty much like playing the game for the first time again.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am excited to play Twilight Princess

and maybe I'll

maybe i'll buy that Mad Max game...!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I don't know about it being the best 3D Zelda tbh. But then again I haven't played be game in like 10 years (I can't believe the game is 10 years old already)

I just don't have much of an opinion on TP except for it was a game I played and it took a long time to beat. I'm just looking forward to going through it one more time. It's pretty much like playing the game for the first time again.

oh its the best. youll see when you replay it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TP was the first time a Zelda game disappointed me. I guess if it was the first Zelda I had ever played I would have liked it more and I guess if I hadn't just played a much more interesting Zelda like game where you at played a dog I would have liked it more but as it stands I just found it to be well made but also just sort of going through the motions, not really adding anything I hadn't seen or done before.

At least it was better than SS, which I think was the first Zelda I didn't even bother to beat.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skyward Sword had really pretty art direction imo but nothing else.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

TP was the first time a Zelda game disappointed me. I guess if it was the first Zelda I had ever played I would have liked it more and I guess if I hadn't just played a much more interesting Zelda like game where you at played a dog I would have liked it more but as it stands I just found it to be well made but also just sort of going through the motions, not really adding anything I hadn't seen or done before.

At least it was better than SS, which I think was the first Zelda I didn't even bother to beat.

Twilight Princess' biggest flaw is that Okami does everything it tries to do better.

Really, TP is for the great dungeons and Midna.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Skyward Sword had really pretty art direction imo Groose but nothing else.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the desert dungeons and the dungeon-wide spider's thread allegory were rad as hell

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

8-Bit Scholar posted:

maybe i'll buy that Mad Max game...!

I quite enjoy the mad max game! It is Good fun!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I'm waiting for the Final Fantasy IX PC port to release. Hopefully it'll be this month.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uhhhh isn't Dark Souls 3 coming out this month?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stux posted:

what other march releases are posters excited for. please, let us chat about video game.

if someone wants to buy me rise of the tomb raider on steam i'll talk about that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Uhhhh isn't Dark Souls 3 coming out this month?

Oh that's Japan-only :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh yeah that's true. My bad.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
March the month where I'm going to try to get into fighting games again. I got a new fight stick coming in the mail and I'll be ready to start scrubing it up in xrd soon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bravely Second is in the post now, gonna be a good March for gaming :cheerdoge:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i thought twilight princess was a really dull game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hearing Jeff Gerstmann call Majora's Mask "The Final Fantasy X-2" of Zelda makes me wonder how someone who generally seems pretty smart can have such a stupid and bad opinion.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PantsBandit posted:

Hearing Jeff Gerstmann call Majora's Mask "The Final Fantasy X-2" of Zelda makes me wonder how someone who generally seems pretty smart can have such a stupid and bad opinion.

Gerstmann consistently has idiotic opinions about games. I suspect that he's been a pro game writer for so long that he honestly doesn't really like games much at all these days, as he seems to largely dislike any game that's actually...fun. Like Yoshi's Island.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

True FF X-2 is a lot better than Majora's Mask

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PantsBandit posted:

So he's saying it's an unfairly maligned sequel that tried something different but wasn't accepted by the ravenous lunatic babies of the world who wanted a carbon copy of the last game?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i thought twilight princess was a really dull game

I liked it in terms of structure, it delivered a polished and up-to-date take on the traditional Zelda formula without the hugely time consuming traveling and endgame grind of Wind Waker or the incredibly small, linear world of Skyward Sword. Whilst it definitely had its issues, such as some of the coolest items like the Spinner getting completely underutilised and the plot getting violently hijacked by Ganondorf, it's the only 3D title which doesn't really let itself down in one critical area or another, aside from Ocarina of Time which is just really friggin' old and a little dated through no fault of its own.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ganondorf hijacks the plot in the best way though.

by being a deathless god of evil.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I played and beat Super Metroid for the first time this weekend. It was a lot clunkier than I expected, especially the advanced movement techniques but it didn't take too long to get used to it. The grappling beam is a piece of poo poo and feels like garbage, but thankfully you never have to be extremely precise with it.

The game does a great job of teaching you how to overcome obstacles and nudge you in the direction of secrets. The only part that stood out as bad metroidvania design was the lovely wall that you can walk through despite it showing as solid on the x-ray scanner. I couldn't tell if your were intended to go back through the acid or not.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

So he's saying it's an unfairly maligned sequel that tried something different but wasn't accepted by the ravenous lunatic babies of the world who wanted a carbon copy of the last game?

Sort of. I think he's mostly trying to say it doesn't feel like a full entry into the Zelda franchise because it's a direct continuation of Ocarina's story. But anyone who's played the game could tell you that, despite sharing assets, Majora's Mask feels almost nothing like Ocarina of Time.

He's using the comparison as an insult because the time mechanic was too much for him to handle.

Like, calling Twilight Princess "Ocarina of Time 2" would be a way more accurate comparison.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Gerstmann consistently has idiotic opinions about games. I suspect that he's been a pro game writer for so long that he honestly doesn't really like games much at all these days, as he seems to largely dislike any game that's actually...fun. Like Yoshi's Island.

Lol that so many goons have formed this narrative for themselves that Jeff doesn't like games.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Lol that so many goons have formed this narrative for themselves that Jeff doesn't like games.

He just doesn't seem to enjoy very much these days. Maybe he should smile a little. Just a little.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He just doesn't seem to enjoy very much these days. Maybe he should smile a little. Just a little.

Maybe he has resting bitch face?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Maybe he has resting bitch face?

That doesn't explain poo poo opinions

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He seemed to like Super Hot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

both games are built on the assets of their predecessors but go in a completely different direction and are generally far better

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

both games are built on the assets of their predecessors but go in a completely different direction and are generally far better

Yeah I know but he's not using the comparison as a compliment. In context that's pretty drat clear.

He also compares it to Resident Evil: Gaiden which should give you a better idea of what he means.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Looper posted:

Eh, Majora's Mask builds on the gameplay foundation of its predecessor and goes much further with its core mechanics. It really is a very natural evolution of the ideas and concepts laid down in OOT, especially the underutilized Time Travel mechanic.

X-2 doesn't really play like X at all; its battle system, world exploration and general pacing is completely different. It resembles the original and does reuse assets, but it could have been its own game and you'd never have thought it connected mechanically to the prior.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You've clearly never heard the man talk about Syndicate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i didnt like collecting the lovely drop things for the gods in tp

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to play final fantasy x, and x-2, some day

multijoe posted:

I liked it in terms of structure, it delivered a polished and up-to-date take on the traditional Zelda formula without the hugely time consuming traveling and endgame grind of Wind Waker or the incredibly small, linear world of Skyward Sword. Whilst it definitely had its issues, such as some of the coolest items like the Spinner getting completely underutilised and the plot getting violently hijacked by Ganondorf, it's the only 3D title which doesn't really let itself down in one critical area or another, aside from Ocarina of Time which is just really friggin' old and a little dated through no fault of its own.

i think twilight princess let itself down in the area that i wasn't really interested in anything that was happening after a point. i love majora's mask and, despite its big endgame grind, wind waker, but while twilight princess had some cool portions i eventually dropped it when it just sort of silently lost my interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZtlQqKrMU

• Locked thread