Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
TDM, CTF, DM....they're good but everything has them. What different modes have you enjoyed over the years?

Gotta say Halo (franchise) has some great ones. The game mode customization made for some cool user created modes like Grifball and Zombies. Even the defaults are epic: Oddball is always tense, and Assault was one of my favorites in H2. Based off that, Bombing Run in Ut2k4 seemed sweet but I never played it outside of bot matches. On the same "sports-like" style, Tribes 2 Team Rabbit was also incredible (think Rocket League + motherfucking jetpacks and grenade launchers). Would love to see a new FPS in that genre since the indie team rabbit title I was following died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rocket hog in Reach was a mega win

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

frank.club posted:

Rocket hog in Reach was a mega win

Spent a lot of time in H3 Rocket Race.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont play many online games now but cloak and dagger in mgo is a lot of fun. i also liked ut99s assault mode when i was a little kid. i like it when one side has different objectives to the other

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont play many online games now but cloak and dagger in mgo is a lot of fun. i also liked ut99s assault mode when i was a little kid. i like it when one side has different objectives to the other

ut99 assault was sick. asymmetrical modes are the best... or when the objective is the same but the two teams play entirely different like Natural Selection. i should try cloak and dagger i only put in a few rounds of the TDM mode once it launched on PC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The normal mode in Splatoon is cool. Spelling out map control as a quantifiable mechanic and actually changing your mobility is a fun idea. Especially in the maps they added later where they transformed at certain points and could flip the momentum of the battle, or had moving parts that reacted differently to being inked or changed your tactical options. Love it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i wanted to play pandora tomorrow's spies vs mercs so badly as a kid, but i had... dialup :gonk:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
journey had very interesting multiplayer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

The normal mode in Splatoon is cool. Spelling out map control as a quantifiable mechanic and actually changing your mobility is a fun idea. Especially in the maps they added later where they transformed at certain points and could flip the momentum of the battle, or had moving parts that reacted differently to being inked or changed your tactical options. Love it
Yeah. The idea that you can effectively contribute to your team without having to be successful in deathmatch is cool.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
the Sticks & Stones mode in blops 1&2 is the absolute height of mp gaming for me. youre restricted to just the Crossbow, ballistic knife, and tomahawk, and hitting someone with the tomahawk will bankrupt them and take away all their points. the last moments of every match are pure chaos as everyone tries to nail the first place person. it's cool to see something that's all about disempowerment and bullshit losses that's actually fun to play

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HolePisser1982 posted:

the Sticks & Stones mode in blops 1&2 is the absolute height of mp gaming for me. youre restricted to just the Crossbow, ballistic knife, and tomahawk, and hitting someone with the tomahawk will bankrupt them and take away all their points. the last moments of every match are pure chaos as everyone tries to nail the first place person. it's cool to see something that's all about disempowerment and bullshit losses that's actually fun to play

this mode kicked rear end. I'll never forget watching a guy Hail Mary a tomahawk over the complete length of the boat to nail the lead guy for the last kill

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Saints Row 1 Multiplayer : Protect Tha Pimp and Big rear end Chains modes.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Saints Row 1 Multiplayer : Protect Tha Pimp and Big rear end Chains modes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

jk2 had that jedi master mode where one player would get a saber and maxed out force powers while everyone else had to try to take him down w/ the guns, he'd drop the saber on death and whoever grabbed it became the new master. it was fun as gently caress

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nintendo wildin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

il iked the frag tag thing in turok 2 where one guy was a monkey nd everyone else was trying to hunt them down. asymmetrical multiplayer's very cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i5s incredible to think how unique counter strikes gameplay was in 2000

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Fungah! posted:

il iked the frag tag thing in turok 2 where one guy was a monkey nd everyone else was trying to hunt them down. asymmetrical multiplayer's very cool

that owned

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i like that they added leaderboard popups in the Uncharted remakes. i like to see how many headshots my friends have gotten

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i like that they added leaderboard popups in the Uncharted remakes. i like to see how many headshots my friends have gotten

I always drive like a maniac in open world games but in sleeping dogs all I wanted was to beat my friends clean driving score.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
A lot of custom Halo forge modes, like that Gauss 'hog catapult skeet shooting mode.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

CoD4 Michael Myers

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

A lot of custom Halo forge modes, like that Gauss 'hog catapult skeet shooting mode.

People did cool things with the zombie mode. Like one jump rope map where the humans had to jump over the vehicles zombies were ramping at them

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i remember one in 3 that was Koth with the point on a medium sized platform where random objects were flung at you

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Kane and Lynch 2 was a bad game but had really fun multiplayer. You had a team of crooks stealing bags of money from AI cops. Once you picked up the bags you could be betrayed by your teammates while waiting for the getaway van to leave. If you betray someone it marks you and everyone gets a bonus if you die. If you get killed you become a cop and can go hunt people down.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Squeezy Farm posted:

i remember one in 3 that was Koth with the point on a medium sized platform where random objects were flung at you

this sounds awesome lmao

i really feel like i missed out by not having a 360

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
CS gun games with ridiculous team sizes on a tiny map to the point where half of the players are swinging knives around wildly and successfully stealing levels from people while the other half are firing guns around wildly and successfully scoring several headshots in a row inside the average two seconds before instant death while a cacophony of GOTCHA BITCH and BOOM HEADSHOT voice clips loops endlessly in the background

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

half life 2 jaykin bacon source

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Prison break

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Titan mode in Battlefield 2142 was cool because once you blew up the enemy titan you could run out and parachute down while it blew up and give thumbs up to everyone.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that mode sucked rear end

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Titan mode was something that really really should have been fun, but wasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

stared at this for a good 20 seconds trying to figure out how itl ooked like he was smoking dabs

• Locked thread