Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9EBq0Thy4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

They never finished the series. :*(

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Heid the Ball posted:

aka Auto-Malware

lol if you didn't know how to download the malware free Kazaa-lite

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nu-metal.

What the gently caress were we thinking? Look at this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl-TodL5sI

I remember talking to a guy who opined that we need to "bring back real rock music like Papa Roach and Nickelback".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.habbo.com/

I can't believe Habbo Hotel is still around. I remember being on there in the mid-2000s in high school with 4Chan trying to invade and spam every room with "GET OUT, THE POOL HAS AIDS!" and everyone dressed as black afro-wearing men in suits.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

These things were everywhere, both the white powerbooks and then the all-white Macbooks after 2006 or so.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

prom candy posted:

These things were everywhere, both the white powerbooks and then the all-white Macbooks after 2006 or so.

My fiance's work computer is one of these. It's such a piece of poo poo.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The secretary at my old school has a sheet she uses to scan barcodes for each and every kid that eats lunch (school of about 400) and it's hooked up to one of these bad boys.

It was a clamshell iBook when I was in elementary, and the other day I picked up lunch from the cafeteria because I helped with a few classes when they were covering public speaking/improvised speeches, and she still has the motherfucker kicking around. She browses FB on the old, old-rear end web browser on it and scans in all the kids with the same system.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

sweeperbravo posted:

Simple Plan.

I pretty much loved just about every song on this CD when I was in 8th grade. When I was in college I was going through old CDs and decided to give it a spin and see if it was still fun. Ohhhhh my god. Cringing at a subatomic level. I still have it somewhere in the house but it's hidden away, far from where anyone might accidentally find it and try to listen to it.

rip it and throw the cd away. better safe than sorry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

death .cab for qt posted:

The secretary at my old school has a sheet she uses to scan barcodes for each and every kid that eats lunch (school of about 400) and it's hooked up to one of these bad boys.

It was a clamshell iBook when I was in elementary, and the other day I picked up lunch from the cafeteria because I helped with a few classes when they were covering public speaking/improvised speeches, and she still has the motherfucker kicking around. She browses FB on the old, old-rear end web browser on it and scans in all the kids with the same system.

It works fine, why would they need to ever upgrade it? :pseudo:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The concept of a bright future and having a job

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

eightpole posted:

The concept of a bright future and having a job

You're looking for the 90's thread there, champ. The 00 version was being unemployed and a lovely job market.

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEP6EAkLDk

holy poo poo the game still exists. spent untold hours generating hundreds of enemies and blowing them the gently caress up
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/118826

also - the "adult" section of newgrounds...remember distinctly a game called "britney spears donkey punch" which consisted of you pressing a button to punch an animated britney in the back of the head while you were loving her. good times

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

I'm reading this thread on a 2010 macbook, almost counts!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLU0oMG3ZU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:fut:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

My abiding memory of that game (aside from it being pretty bad) is this bit where Shadow runs into a new level and growls "Where's that drat fourth chaos emerald?" but the subtitles read "Where's that drat FOURTH chaos emerald?"

I reckon that's a really 2000s thing - the entire fixation on kids' stuff being DARK and GRITTY and SERIOUS and what have you. I mean, it absolutely existed before that, obviously, but I reckon the Internet blew it up. You know, as much Dragon Ball Z is basically a nineties thing, fan-translations of the manga and anime alike sticking loads of cursing in because it's MATURE and NOT 4 KIDS is pretty noughties.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd say that is much more apparent after 2010 the in the 00s.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I'd say that is much more apparent after 2010 the in the 00s.

Maybe, but Shadow the Hedgehog is a good example of that. I remember when it was released there was a big to-do about it being rated E10.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Someone called Franz Ferdinand Alt-rock?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Oh hey' it's "that guy" from the early 2000s, the proto-hipster.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Haha there's a mission in this game where you have to shoot down the president's aircraft. You are a tiny hedgehog who is trying to assassinate the president. What on earth.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
The 2000s for me was Unreal Tournament, Megatokyo.com and Joecartoons. It's really hard in my mind though to separate the 90s from the 00s though for some reason, even though I was a teenager/adult for the latter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every kid on Deviant Art having a Sonic recolour seems pretty 2000s to me.

Bonus points if it's created for a sprite comic.

In five years' time, we'll be looking back at the most 2010s things, and it'll be every kid on Deviant Art having a pony recolour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Today I had the dubious pleasure of waking up to this and immediately thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W6dDqEksKc

I need to find a new morning station.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

*gets in a 20 page argument about the differences between alt. rock and indie rock*

*mid-2000s obsession with irony and authenticity alive and well*

*pretends to hate Hey Ya! because it's on the radio*

That's the most 2000s thing I can think of

edit: oh and this

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

prom candy posted:

*gets in a 20 page argument about the differences between alt. rock and indie rock*

*mid-2000s obsession with irony and authenticity alive and well*

*pretends to hate Hey Ya! because it's on the radio*

That's the most 2000s thing I can think of

edit: oh and this

I think the 2010s will be defined by the full-on embrace of irony in every aspect of life because "lol nothing matters."

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Anything anti-Bush. I think it was 2004-2007 that anti-Bush really took off. I remember the Dixie Chicks did a Thing and they got slammed. I didn't start using the Internet full-time until 2002.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think the 2010s will be defined by the full-on embrace of irony in every aspect of life because "lol nothing matters."

I don't know, I feel like there is more of a rejection of irony and an acceptance of sincerity while still keeping irony's use in a figurative manner. Basically, things are liked both ironically and unironically at the same time, making the ideal of traditional irony meaningless. Yet, there is a sort of appreciation for "terrible" things that is much more sympathetic than it would have been in the 90s or aughts. Like take vaporwave. It's obviously taking old interstitial muzak and finding it ridiculous, but rather than outright rejecting or destroying it like a YouTube Poop, it builds off of it, satirizing and enjoying at the same time. I think how 4chan ironically liking My Little Pony and then wrapping back around to become bronies is another good example.

Basically, I feel the 90s and aughts used irony in a way to signal how "smart" a viewer was for rejecting something, and the teens seem to use it to simultaneously recognize the lack of quality in something, while still asserting their approval of it. Basically, the 90s and aughts said "Isn't ironic that (other) people actually think something like this is good?", while now it's "Isn't it ironic that I like this, but it's so bad?" By revealing their own cognitive dissonance, they invite others to join in and enjoy, rather than to join in and exclude. It's ironic attachment rather than ironic detachment.

I don't know, maybe I interact with too many weak-minded SJWs or something. :shobon:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Violet_Sky posted:

Anything anti-Bush. I think it was 2004-2007 that anti-Bush really took off. I remember the Dixie Chicks did a Thing and they got slammed. I didn't start using the Internet full-time until 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Q-sRdV7SY

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still get this stuck in my head on occasion.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Remember when we were all going to evolve giant, hyperprehensile thumbs due to constant texting on 9 key phones? I remember that sort of thing reaching hysteria point maybe 2004 and then burbling on in media articles until the early 2010s when touchscreens started to really take off.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Today I had the dubious pleasure of waking up to this and immediately thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W6dDqEksKc

I need to find a new morning station.

I've heard this song once. Once. I regret it. It's like the proto Crazy Bitch. Butt rock will be the regretful, tarnished legacy of the early-to-mid '00s.

edit: a search for "butt rock" on DuckDuckGo pulls up the wiki for Post-grunge as the top result

root beer has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Mar 22, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The Crimson Room flash game I think pretty much started the whole "escape from a locked room" genre of games. Check it out:

http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/Update%2025/
I just tried to play it again. I loved room escape games back when they got big, and there's a striking difference between the nostalgia I have for them and the Kafkaesque bullshit of knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do and how much time I have to spend hunting for the exact pixel I'm supposed to click on. That and the fact that the legacy of this simple flash game is that I'm a 20 minute drive from not one, but two places where I can pay $20 to play a real-life room escape game.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

GWBBQ posted:

I just tried to play it again. I loved room escape games back when they got big, and there's a striking difference between the nostalgia I have for them and the Kafkaesque bullshit of knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do and how much time I have to spend hunting for the exact pixel I'm supposed to click on. That and the fact that the legacy of this simple flash game is that I'm a 20 minute drive from not one, but two places where I can pay $20 to play a real-life room escape game.

I work installing alarms and I installed one in a business was moving to their second location that did this. Is this a new kind of business? I have never heard anyone mention anything like this.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
In my not-incredibly-major city, we've got currently at least 5 franchises, with another one opening soon. Sorry, opening two soon. I suspect a bubble will burst momentarily.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea this was such a thing

http://escaperoomdirectory.com/

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

My abiding memory of that game (aside from it being pretty bad) is this bit where Shadow runs into a new level and growls "Where's that drat fourth chaos emerald?" but the subtitles read "Where's that drat FOURTH chaos emerald?"

In the recording studio, Orson Welles tears off his headphones and starts telling the voice director you can't emphasize drat instead of FOURTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Inzombiac posted:

Yes!
There are so many out there I don't know what to search for. Maybe I'll go back to Newgrounds. It was made crappy on purpose but I loved it.
From page 2 but This right? some guy added his title card, but pretty sure that's it.

• Locked thread