Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, and another big one:

Jamie's School Dinners. I remember the tabloids printing all these pictures of kids reaching desperately through the bars of the school fence like they're in a refugee camp or something to get the stuff their mothers were delivering from the local chippy (to spare them the horror of having to eat fruit and vegetables).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nu-metal.

What the gently caress were we thinking? Look at this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl-TodL5sI

I remember talking to a guy who opined that we need to "bring back real rock music like Papa Roach and Nickelback".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

My abiding memory of that game (aside from it being pretty bad) is this bit where Shadow runs into a new level and growls "Where's that drat fourth chaos emerald?" but the subtitles read "Where's that drat FOURTH chaos emerald?"

I reckon that's a really 2000s thing - the entire fixation on kids' stuff being DARK and GRITTY and SERIOUS and what have you. I mean, it absolutely existed before that, obviously, but I reckon the Internet blew it up. You know, as much Dragon Ball Z is basically a nineties thing, fan-translations of the manga and anime alike sticking loads of cursing in because it's MATURE and NOT 4 KIDS is pretty noughties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Every kid on Deviant Art having a Sonic recolour seems pretty 2000s to me.

Bonus points if it's created for a sprite comic.

In five years' time, we'll be looking back at the most 2010s things, and it'll be every kid on Deviant Art having a pony recolour.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This probably won't have much resonance for anyone who wasn't reading the Beano circa 2003, but one thing I distinctly remember was when they tried to introduce a hip new flagship character who was going to be "the next Dennis the Menace" called Robbie Rebel. He was based on Robbie Williams and he wore jeans and a t-shirt where Dennis wore short trousers and a jersey and he hung around with two girls based on Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue. His gimmick was "nobody tells him what to do" - the issue that introduced him had the tagline "Meet Robbie Rebel!" alongside a picture of him going, "No, don't!" and it was all downhill from there. A pretty glaring example of a venerable old publication trying to prove they're still "with-it".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I remember is visiting London in 2001 and seeing this colossal poster for Final Fantasy: Spirits Within in Leicester Square. That's pretty 2000s, but what's even more 2000s is what I subsequently learned, that they planned to use the CGI model of the main character in other, non-Final Fantasy movies, so they would have an infinitely-adaptable virtual actor who would never age and never quit. That movie nearly finished off the entire game company, it did so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread