Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
style / art gimmick combo you want to see next
This poll is closed.
Commodore 64 hi fi 16 colors Drawing goons drooling over anime (or muscle men) 35 20.71%
Everything in MSPaint Black and White and Undertale Characters 22 13.02%
CGA in CYMK tones and rising stars of gaming like Hololens and Star Citizen 36 21.30%
Only Purple and Waluigi and Kirby ship fiction 76 44.97%
Total: 169 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's my final offering to the "Let's MSPaint Games related poo poo" part of March:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I feel like the first and second Katamaris were the only good ones, then the devs just started arbitrarily putting objects in the level without paying any mind to the flow of gameplay and I hated it. No pleasing rows of tiny objects, just small, medium, and big objects way too close to each other in random order. :\

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So far my favorite level has been the zoo one

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

VoidBurger posted:

I wish someone would model swap Lara Croft and Nathan Drake already, so we can see how weird Nate looks crawling around pathetically and being all dirty and slutty and injured.

The Hawkeye project but with Nathan Drake.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It has bugged me since she started the Tropes Vs Women scans way too well in that song from Mary Poppins

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

VoidBurger posted:

I wish someone would model swap Lara Croft and Nathan Drake already, so we can see how weird Nate looks crawling around pathetically and being all dirty and slutty and injured.

The imagery is oversexed but I thought it was odd that not many people picked up on Tomb Raider basically being a Robert Louis Stevenson-esque "boy goes on adventure and becomes a Man" story but with a female main character

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StashAugustine posted:

The imagery is oversexed but I thought it was odd that not many people picked up on Tomb Raider basically being a Robert Louis Stevenson-esque "boy goes on adventure and becomes a Man" story but with a female main character

It was a Lucio Fulci movie

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
anybody remember this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVzzX7_Pl8

man, I kinda wish they had been able to make the xenogears and xenosaga they wanted to make instead of the ones that we got

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm also thinking about that mad world gears of war commercial where it tried to make the game look more atmospheric than it actually was.

Were the gears of war games actually any good, I never hear anything about them anymore tbh

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

StashAugustine posted:

Originally, Lara Croft was going to be a blatent Indiana Jones rip-off (iconic hat and all), but the devs wised up and went "ohhhhh, wait.......... copyrights. well uh......... what if we made it a really stacked woman instead? lol wow Jim, those are polygonal mountains haha, we'll never get away with that." but then they did, and that's the noble story of how Lara Croft was invented.

(source: Replay: The History of Videogames by Tristan Donovan. I don't have the book on me though.)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

If female characters didn't sway their hips when they walked, how am I supposed to figure out which guard is actually Meryl in disguise?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Broseph Brostar posted:

If female characters didn't sway their hips when they walked, how am I supposed to figure out which guard is actually Meryl in disguise?

GBC Metal Gear Solid game had the girl posing as a male guard have a red cap and ponytail.

There were a lot of red caps and other caps and a lot of ponytail guards suddenly for this one area.

Sorry women, but minor convenience in small segments of gameplay trumps your equality.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm also thinking about that mad world gears of war commercial where it tried to make the game look more atmospheric than it actually was.

Were the gears of war games actually any good, I never hear anything about them anymore tbh

They're completely generic cover based third person shooters and horribly slow and clunky nowadays.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The games' gritty, gunmetal grey and brown aesthetic was so overpowering that it was nearly impossible to tell who was a human and who was a horrible alien monster in pvp.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

The games' gritty, gunmetal grey and brown aesthetic was so overpowering that it was nearly impossible to tell who was a human and who was a horrible alien monster in pvp.

a poetic commentary

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

yeah it's really intellectually dishonest to provide examples of sexism in a series about sexism in gaming, in order to prove a thesis one is discussing. i was supposed to write a term paper about italian culture but i wrote it mostly about the mario brothers and i got an F. i just don't get these feminazis

Ha ha you thought my post was against the intent of the video, but in fact, it was a generalized statement that you applied a bias toward! :smugdon:

No, really, my statement applies to the strawman of "women not represented in gaming as regular people". A better argument is that it's not a regular thing.
I can't be assed to submit more than a hot take on that video, though, or the series as a whole, lest I devolve into intelligent debate in a subforum for videogames.

Lurdiak posted:

This is the dilemma of all post-apocalypse games: cool concepts and settings, but they're all visually boring palettes and repetitive "location in ruins" scenery. Basically, "How do I make mud and concrete exciting?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mistle posted:

This is the dilemma of all post-apocalypse games: cool concepts and settings, but they're all visually boring palettes and repetitive "location in ruins" scenery. Basically, "How do I make mud and concrete exciting?"

Even Fallout 3 is colorful compared to Gears.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Also every gun was a one hit kill in a game with slow clunky movement. At the time I couldn't understand why all my friends loved it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mistle posted:

No, really, my statement applies to the strawman of "women not represented in gaming as regular people". A better argument is that it's not a regular thing.

I'm genuinely interested in what you mean by this, not looking to pick a fight. VoidBurger wasn't the only person to read your post and go "uh wha?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mistle posted:

japanese post-apocalyptic games are cool

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i want to play tokyo jungle again now

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I hope next month's thread isn't weirdly confrontational

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Broseph Brostar posted:

be realistic

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I hope it is :twisted:

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
i got to the part in the final fantasy 15 demo where the kid puts his ipad up to his ear after his pet KITSUNE brings him his ipad and i loving stopped it because holy god i hate this poo poo

i should also say that i didn't finish the final fantasy 15 demo that came with that lovely PSP final fantasy re-release that wasn't good at all and you know what? i stopped giving a poo poo about final fantasy around ff12. i was queer for ff7, i hated ff8, ff9 was okay, ff10 was BARELY okay, ff11 was a piece of poo poo for everquest spergs, and ff12 was ALMOST GOOD, and then it's all been loving horrible since then

ff14 is okay but i'm not about to pay 15 bucks a month when there are a billion other free to play MMOs that do the exact same loving thing

final fantasy is bad and has always been bad

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

i want to play tokyo jungle again now

This is my natural state. We need a sequel that isn't a crappy playstation mobile game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cram me sideways posted:

i got to the part in the final fantasy 15 demo where the kid puts his ipad up to his ear after his pet KITSUNE brings him his ipad and i loving stopped it because holy god i hate this poo poo

i should also say that i didn't finish the final fantasy 15 demo that came with that lovely PSP final fantasy re-release that wasn't good at all and you know what? i stopped giving a poo poo about final fantasy around ff12. i was queer for ff7, i hated ff8, ff9 was okay, ff10 was BARELY okay, ff11 was a piece of poo poo for everquest spergs, and ff12 was ALMOST GOOD, and then it's all been loving horrible since then

ff14 is okay but i'm not about to pay 15 bucks a month when there are a billion other free to play MMOs that do the exact same loving thing

final fantasy is bad and has always been bad

lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i got up to i think cheetah and uh water buffalo maybe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
i like ff9 and I wish I had it on steam where they let you speed up battles

tho ideally I'd want the ability to break the damage limit and the ability to use my trance meter whenever i want, then I'd be fine

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

I'm genuinely interested in what you mean by this, not looking to pick a fight. VoidBurger wasn't the only person to read your post and go "uh wha?"

I watched the video, promptly forgot about it. Then VB posted a thing, I responded with a statement that specified nothing. That is to say, if you read my statement as a point of opposition, it means one thing, but if you read it as a concurring opinion, it means something different entirely.

I'm guilty of making making vagaries and using many words to contribute nothing--at the very least, for this case :saddowns:

cram me sideways posted:

I'd feel the same way, but I don't; sunk cost fallacy :shrug:

At least it's not hot garbage for the cost :v:

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
i'll give squeenix credit for dragging ff11 out this long and refusing to make it go f2p - or even doing a blizzard and saying "it's f2p up to level 20"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

VoidBurger posted:

I don't see how that would look weird or make some social commentary. Lara Croft is a badass in the new Tomb Raider games. The fact that she keeps on fighting despite her hosed up injuries makes her a John Mcclane like action hero.

-edit Oh wait, you're responding to a Tropes Vs. Woman video. I just read the post without the full context.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 1, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell are we talking about in this thread now? What's up with Lara Croft, how's she doin'? She never called me back, can you find out if maybe she lost my number or something? She said she'd call me and she never did so I figure she must have lost the number or something.

Lara call me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
still the best

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What the hell are we talking about in this thread now? What's up with Lara Croft, how's she doin'? She never called me back, can you find out if maybe she lost my number or something? She said she'd call me and she never did so I figure she must have lost the number or something.

Lara call me.

Okay so Lara did Rise of the Tomb Raider which is a sequel to Tomb Raider 2013 but some DIPSHIT made it exclusive to the Xbone, which means it's BAD GAME regardless of whether it is a good game (it is) and now we're going through some DLC pains and we don't know if this loving thing's gonna pull an Arkham Knight and have totally lovely DLC or not; anyways don't buy until it's $5 in a humble bundle with all the dlc that is bad

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh. I didn't much care for the first New Tomb Raider game, it felt like it was Uncharted but with some crappy Batman-style exploration stuck on top. The voice acting was bad and the plot was dumb and I sort of felt like they went out of their way to injure Lara at every level transition, which started to push my suspension of disbelief. Also the platforming wasn't very satisfying and I disliked the puzzles.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Then stay the heck away from new tomb raider staring Lara Crap

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

How about when they play "Mad World" during Dom's heroic sacrifice. I rolled my eyes pretty drat hard at that point. Then the game promptly goes back to having you blast more locusts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cram me sideways posted:

Okay so Lara did Rise of the Tomb Raider which is a sequel to Tomb Raider 2013 but some DIPSHIT made it exclusive to the Xbone, which means it's BAD GAME regardless of whether it is a good game (it is) and now we're going through some DLC pains and we don't know if this loving thing's gonna pull an Arkham Knight and have totally lovely DLC or not; anyways don't buy until it's $5 in a humble bundle with all the dlc that is bad

its on pc early because its sales were very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

-edit Oh wait, you're responding to a Tropes Vs. Woman video. I just read the post without the full context.

I thought the creator of that show said she was too depressed to keep making new episodes

• Locked thread